www.amh.org

Abington Memorial Hospital President & CEO Laurence M. Merlis
Laurence M. Merlis

Great place to work

I have been working at Abington Memorial Hospital

Pros

They offer flexible scheduling. They also offer really great benefits. The training was very thorough and well though out. I would highly recommend working here.

Cons

After thinking about what I could possibly list as a negative, I was unable to think of anything. I would highly recommend working here.

Work Environment

I have been working at Abington Memorial Hospital

Pros

This is a well located hospital which supports a diverse community of Abington.

Cons

After 3 years, there remains virtually no diversity amongst the professional staff at this hospital accept for housekeeping and maintenance of course. Throughout the hospital, i have not met one person of color in a management role. Nurses are all white except for a very small few. There are no initiatives to promote a spirit of inclusion just a nice title for people about diversity. Considering the locale, this is unfortunate. Considering the bad publicity this hospital received a few years back i was surprised to see that nothing has changed. It seems that some employees are afraid of losing their jobs if they say anything. The most diverse group of people you will see at Abington is on their website.

Try a spirit of inclusion. Make sure that your new employees as well as the students you hire from your nursing school reflects the clientele that you serve.

Good company

Current Employee - Scheduler in Abington, PA
    Current Employee - Scheduler in Abington, PA

I have been working at Abington Memorial Hospital full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits-medical, dental, and vision, yearly 'cost of living raise', opportunity for advancement or to move to other departments, helpful colleagues,

Cons

high stress for not enough pay, difficult to get needed time off, people in department are 'clique-y' making it uncomfortable to work at times, recommend the company, just not the department.

be more open to suggestions

I have been working at Abington Memorial Hospital

Pros

Teamwork, supportive coworkers, and autonomy.

Cons

Disengaged management, lack of clarity with policies and procedures. Reduction in workforce.

Bring back the old days

Current Employee - Clinical Associate in Abington, PA
    Current Employee - Clinical Associate in Abington, PA

I have been working at Abington Memorial Hospital full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you have a good supervisor like I do, working here is tolerable. My supervisor is very liberal with scheduling and . Will always help you out if an emergency arises.

Cons

Healthcare benefits are getting lower and lower, upper management can be very deceiving, more Worried about the almighty dollar than patient care.

A good employer is give and take, not just take, take, take. If you want your employees to be happy so they will treat their patients with happy faces, listen to your employees and actually make an attempt to try their ideas. Also, when an employee has an idea, acknowledge the employee instead of raking credit for th he idea.

After working at this establishment for 15 years

Current Employee - Accounts Manager in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Accounts Manager in Phila, PA

Pros

Ran a department of nine, had deadlines and the Job was a challenge which I enjoyed. I was able to advance over the years.

Cons

Would have liked to see employees work better together. Needed to find a way to keep employees morale up. The Hospital at one point made their employees feel like they were very important and as time has come around now they make their employees feel like they are lucky to still be employed. It was very sad to watch especially with a heavier work load.

Would have liked upper Management to keep the avenues of communication about changes open with the billing representatives. I also would have liked to see more an emphasis on morale.

Registered Nurse

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Abington, PA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Abington, PA

Pros

Great co-workers and good support team among staff

Cons

While upper management continues to receive bonuses they have RIF'd many employees. Maybe they could have refused the bonuses and saved some nursing jobs. Meanwhile staff is over worked and under paid and management doesn't care. They pretend they do but they don't. It's all about the numbers despite what they preach about Abington being a "family". I guess the family only includes management.

Listen to your nurses. They are the basis for all that makes your organization run smoothly. They deserve to be treated better.

Educational

I have been working at Abington Memorial Hospital

Pros

Challenging experience with opportunity to learn

Cons

Lack of support and man power

Get more involved

Positive work environment

Former Employee - Healthcare Professional
    Former Employee - Healthcare Professional

I worked at Abington Memorial Hospital full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Employer attempts to maintain a positive atmosphere in challenging times.

Cons

Organization has gotten extremely large and more impersonal.

The hospital needs to focus less on "Abington" and more on the surrounding region.

IT Intern

Current Employee - HIS Intern in Abington, PA
    Current Employee - HIS Intern in Abington, PA

I have been working at Abington Memorial Hospital as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I have interned in this Hospital HIS Department. Nothing but positive vibes and great coworkers and excellent bosses.

Cons

Nothing bad to say about the company, I had an excellent experience interning there.