AbitibiBowater

www.abitibibowater.com

AbitibiBowater Reviews

2.4

Richard Garneau

Abitibibowater, how long can you hold on?

Current Employee - Administrator  in  Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Administrator in Greenville, SC

I have been working at AbitibiBowater

Pros

Laid back casual environment. Easy commute. This company was recently formed from the merger of two companies. The new company has moved the headquarters into Montreal Canada. Dave Paterson did a great job of communicating a vision of valued employees and safe working environments. At least I got a safe working environment. Many people have been seperated from the company and replaced with people that have a fraction of their knowledge. Projects have projected completion dates for no apparent reason since I have yet to see one complete on time. Top management seems to do a great job at handing each other nice fat bonus packages.

Cons

High level management appears to seek what is best for their personal fortunes not for the company. Middle management avoids dealing with issues and fights amongst themselves. Communication is frequently incorrect or sent to the wrong group of employees.

Stand by those principles you communicate. Stop saying one thing and doing another.

Learned alot

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at AbitibiBowater

Pros

They are a tight community very small, a good way to understand the wood industry, good possibility of advancement and personal growth potential

Cons

they have a low salary base, they had to cut jobs and senior management is abit all over the place

You need to focus on employee happiness and human development and not just beleive in cost cutting, we need to be a team

A fun and challenging postion

Current Employee - Recycling Representative
    Current Employee - Recycling Representative

I have been working at AbitibiBowater

Pros

Lots of freedom and variety in outside recycling sales representative position. You make your own appointments and come up with creative ways to increasw tons for schools.

Cons

Once area is saturated there is little that can be done to make your goals. People are using less paper.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very different place to work after merger and then bankruptcy...

I have been working at AbitibiBowater

Pros

Good work/home balance with flexible schedule.
    Fair wages at hire and in beginning of career with company, although no raises in 3 years and none in sight and the cost of living keeps climbing.

Cons

No raises in 3 years.
    Constant change in organization without results, seems desparate and grasping.
    After emergence from bankruptcy, nothing has improved at all - still feels like we are in bankruptcy.
    We seem to waste more money trying to save money. (no color copies, seriously? this is your answer to cutting costs?)
    Low morale, sense of impending doom.

Quit cutting the workers and look at cutting the overload of Managers/Leaders. Way too many chiefs and not enough indians. Someone has to be left to get the work done. Employees do not have confidence in the Leaders and are beginning to jump ship. Very sad to see what we have become.

It's worse since emerging from bankruptcy

I have been working at AbitibiBowater

Pros

The people at the individual locations are trying hard to work within the confines of this new leadership since emergence of bankruptcy.

Cons

No flexibility to run business. Every decision has to go to the corporate office. Benefits are no longer competitive to a corporation this size.

Give the leaders outside of the corporate office some flexibility to run the business. Employees lose confidence in their leaders and the leaders aren't leading, but being dictated to.

good at first

I have been working at AbitibiBowater

Pros

haven't really came up with to much anymore. before i would have told everyone to work here.really benifits not to bad i guess

Cons

the employee recognition isnt what it used to be it seam any more that everyone need to watch thier own backs and thier managers of each market because now its like a witch hunt folks mess up thier done, wow. dont understand what happened? if you are thinking about this company might want to reconcider your options. sorry about the spelling

does it really have to be like this didn't use to be .

It was ok

Former Employee - Student Engineer  in  Iroquois Falls, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Student Engineer in Iroquois Falls, ON (Canada)

I worked at AbitibiBowater

Pros

The pay was good. Co-workers were very friendly and supportive. Never felt over-worked. Manager was supportive and helpful. Not too bad.

Cons

Possibly underworked. Some management did not treat employees with respect (being untruthful or secretive about what was going on within the company.)

Should try to use more transparency and acccountability. More open communication with employees at every level.

Company is bankrupt

I worked at AbitibiBowater

Pros

Salary and benefits were good. The paper and pulp industry pays higher than other industries.
    Positive experience prior to Company's financial problems.

Cons

Company filed bankruptcy and closed mills. Company did not pay laid off employees their severance pay. The Company is in debt.

Former employees are entitled to their severance pay. Some employees have 20 years working for the company and need their money.

Hard to see light at end of the tunnel...

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at AbitibiBowater

Pros

Not that many pros at this point. The Pulp & paper Industry does pay better than most. Under Chapter 11 Reorganization. Hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel until we come out of it.

Cons

In Chapter 11 bankruptcy so morale is pretty low. No raises in yrs, matching 401k suspended (bankruptcy), steady increase in health insurance costs. POOR FEEDBACK: Little to no formal or informal feedback on job performance. POOR COMMUNICATION: Very little transparency between "home office" and plants as to what's going on in the company (not just since bankruptcy). POORLY DEVELOPED REWARD SYSTEM: Projects are rewarded too richly if they come under budget and under timeline, even if means starting up too early and cutting out needed money. This encourages bloat money & time in the project planning process. NO TRUE START-UP PROCESS: No disciplined startup process (see previous project planning comment)

Be upfront with the state of the company. Telling employees to not 'worry about this' and that 'upper management will take care of it' is not good communication. This is our livelihood; we can take bad news, just be upfront.

Worked for AbitibiBowater? Contribute to the Community!