About

Updated Jun 6, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Neil Vogel

Tough sometimes, but worthwhile.

Writer (Current Employee)

ProsSet your own schedule, pursue your interests, create interesting content, become known as an expert in your field. Work part time from home.

ConsIsolating if you're not in NYC. Pay not that great for many of the organization's "experts."

Advice to Senior ManagementHappy about the upcoming redesign!

Used to be a great place to work. Not anymore.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsFree snacks and drinks. Modern looking office.

ConsThis used to be a great place to work until the acquisition by IAC, a rather large and 'typical' corporate giant. New management hires have been causing the culture to suffer and coming into work has become rather unpleasant for the last several months. We are currently seeing a large exodus of capable, hard-working, long-time employees, and as a result, workloads are becoming chaotic. Every passing month brings new negative changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've pretty much ruined everything there was to be loved about About.com. Don't think there's anything you can do to rectify it.

Good work-life balance (hours and vacation time), nice culture, poor health coverage.

(Current Employee)

Pros"Unlimited" vacation, laid back culture, free snacks, small company feel, friendly CEO, fun projects, good business ethics.

ConsSome politics, but nothing unusual.

About/Ask/IAC's Aetna PPO is pretty horrible compared to others in the tech or media industries. $300 deductible, 15% coinsurance, and $4000 out-of-pocket max! I've never before had a deductible or coinsurance under any company-provided health insurance in my long carrer. This is something you should strongly consider when making the decision to work for an IAC company if you will not be based on the west coast.

(For comparison, the parent company, ask, offers kaiser to its employees which has no deductible, no coinsurance, and a $1500 out-of-pocket max, which is also similar to every employer-provided health insurance policy I've ever had.)

Advice to Senior ManagementGive us a health insurance policy that is commensurate with the rest of the tech and media industries, not to mention commensurate with your west-coast staff!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Finally, an opportunity for entry/mid-level employees

ProsWork life balance & youthful energy. There is finally some buzz in the building.

ConsNone, the management has been working hard to improve what was previously broken.

Great stuff ahead but massive growing pains now.

Anonymous (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsExcitement for the future of the company. Great vacation policy. Lots of free snacks and drinks. Lots of smart great people.

ConsNew management is a tech boys club. Concerned more with what outside people think then the thoughts of those internally. Play favorites and ignore anyone else they deem none substantial. Claim "transparency" but then don't act on it.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand all employees are valuable not just the ones you like the most.

stale property, old boys club, no direction

Prosgood vacation policy and snacks.

Consif you are in an outer office, you are basically forgotten about. It's an old boys club that could care less what impact they have on employees as long as they look good to themselves. Arrogant management with little to no direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to change. They brag about transparency then they go and do things behind people's backs and/or don't tell people what they are doing. Transparency doesn't exist at About.com.

really like it so far

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsManagement keeps us constantly updated with progress via monthly town halls - very open about what is happening and what is still broken and what to do to fix it. The audience for About is huge! I think around 88 million uniques per month in the US so what you do is highly visible. New energy here to revitalize the brand even though it is successful already - this makes for a work environment that is the opposite of boring! Non-management people are over-all nice and helpful. Tons of free food including weekly bagels and monthly pizza on top of candy and snacks everywhere - cool office as well which is in Times Square (ugh I know) but is easy to get to - good benefits as well = medical costs not cheap but they offer unlimited vacation / time off and subsidize our commuting costs up to $120 per month which means a free monthly metro card!

ConsIt is an older internet property which was left stagnant under the NY Times - it will take time to reverse this and have people view About in a more modern fashion. Career growth not always apparent but I think they are working on that

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue keeping us informed / push for more internal training of employees

Depends on the department...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAbout really cares about your work/life balance, which I really appreciated. The kitchen is full of snacks, and depending on what floor your on, nice office views, in addition to a casual office atmosphere.

ConsI really wanted to like it here, but unfortunately there were too many unprofessional encounters, which not only hindered me from enjoying the office as whole, but also affected my job as well. I dreaded work each day--the list of cons is long, but I'll keep it short:

Like many companies, I had a manager that had absolutely no clue what they were doing, tried to make their team look bad (and succeeded enormously), while purposefully stifling growth. I want to say that just one person ruined the positive experience that some reviews mention, but unfortunately HR was very aware that there was a problem, and did nothing (as a result, the department was miserable)-- I agree with those that think it has turned into a 'boy's club', because it absolutely has.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease work with HR to make sure that soon-to-be managers actually know what they're doing, and have the technical wherewithal, and management experience in the past. Just because someone is good at their day-to-day tasks, does not mean that they have the capability or people skills to be a leader.

It's a big NO NO

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLaid back environment. Free snacks and open vacation policy

ConsIt has turned into an extremely demotivating place to work for. Senior management team is biased with condescending attitude towards other employees, who they deem to be "inferior" to them. They would through around words like 'transparency' 'participation' 'feedback from everyone', which is nothing but a hoax. If you are not in their "favorite" group of people, no matter how hard you work, you can never expect to advance in your career.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't just talk about 'transparency', try to live it.

Worst CEO and management team I have ever seem. Don't be fooled

Sales (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsFree food and nice office

ConsNew employees don't be fooled. Management says they are transparent but they are sneaky. I never saw people get laid off and are happy because they hated this environment so much. Was a great company before CEO came and is ruining this place. Very rude, unprofessional, thinks he's better then everyone and I inappropriate things going on. Sad what has happened to this place.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't drive this place down.

Worked for About? Contribute to the Community!