Absolute Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.7
Geoff Haydon

Great company to work for with lots of opportunity!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Absolute (More than a year)

Pros

The people! We have a big opportunity to make a statement with our core product within Information Security space!

Cons

No cons to write about at this time

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent

Aug 19, 2015 – Absolute Software

We definitely share your excitement. Thank you for the feedback!

Going downhill fast

Current Employee - Sales in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Absolute (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unique product that has no true direct competitor. A lot of nice people. Good OEM partnerships. Product can be sold to any size organization.

Cons

Inept management, who hire friends and relatives, who are even more inept than they are for key roles. Most upper management comes from HP SLED background and have no idea how to sell to Corporate and HC space. Say they are going to hire "industry experts" to manage acquisition team, but instead hire more "job hoppers", who they know through HP "friends". How does someone have "expertise" if he change jobs and companies every 2 years or less. There is no focus on "new business". The same people, who get the same renewals from the same big K-12 accounts go to club every year. Everyone else must struggle to bring in new accounts and even though they have to work twice as hard to hit their unrealistic number there is no reward. Pull in a $300K new business deal with a corporate account that is a household name and you won't even get congratulated, much less make quota (so you won't get paid much either). A week later, a K-12 rep gets a $700K renewal and he's a hero. Management says they want to go after new Corporate and HC business. But, at the end of the day it is all about SLED. This could be a great company. But, arrogance and lack of expertise in upper and middle management are driving the company into the ground. Marketings answer to lack of brand awareness is to change the color of the logo.

Advice to Management

Read the book "Good to Great" by Jim Collins. Get the wrong people off the bus and get the right people on bus. If people hire family members and childhood friends for key roles, you probably aren't getting the "best candidate" for the job. Start differentiating between "new business" and renewals. The fact that most of your "President Club" reps have less than 6% of their revenue from new business should tell you something.

Account Manager

Former Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Absolute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

catered lunches at the end of the quarter, new ceo geoff hayden seems like he knows what he is doing. new branding seems cool. computrace product has little to no competition in the marketplace and is a worthy product to sell.

Cons

impossible to move up, unreasonable and unattainable quotas making it impossible to receive any commission. management advances and hires friends others who are closest to them and often outside candidates over inside candidates. over-all low morale in office and mostly everyone is just trying to find a way to leave early and come in late. bad company culture

Advice to Management

pay attention to what is happening with your employees, their needs and wants. if your employees are happy, they will work harder and your company will thrive

Aug 19, 2015 – Absolute Software

Thank you for sharing your experience at Absolute. We are pleased with our new brand identity and we appreciate that you recognized the value of our core security solution while you were here ... More

Trouble Ahead

I worked at Absolute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unique differentiator on main (and now only) product.

Cons

Recent announcement to divest companies purchased within the last 5 years suggests that the company made a serious strategic blunder investing in those areas and will be now be experiencing significant fallout. Company is a one-trick pony completely dependent on a seriously eroding PC business. Heavy investment over the last 5 years was made on products now to be divested, at the expense of products that remain. The company is left with a "dying on the vine" product that has had very little recent investment to keep it current or relevant. Senior management should get "F" for allowing this to happen. We all know what happens next. Costs will be slashed, employees will be let go. The bleeding has already started and many pink slips have already been issued. This will continue as things are likely to get much worse before anything gets better. At least they have a nice new logo.

Advice to Management

All senior management should be appropriately compensated for results achieved.

Aug 13, 2015 – Absolute Software

Thank you for your feedback and for recognizing the value of our unique differentiator – Persistence technology, a distinct competitive advantage for Absolute that no one else can do. The thoughtful ... More

Good things happening

I have been working at Absolute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great technology foundation with changes being made to take this company to the next level. Opportunities for people to excel as Absolute builds out the products and offerings to protect systems and data. Appreciate being part of an established, growing technology company.

Cons

Changes are happening in the organization to enable growing the business and serve more customers in focused markets. Sometimes change is not easy.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in and promote the people. Continue to invent in and build the business.

Jul 9, 2015 – Absolute Software

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. Your comments are appreciated and encouraging, as we continue to evolve our business. We know that change can be exciting, but that it can also ... More

Truly unique technology

I have been working at Absolute full-time

Pros

Unique BIOS-persistent technology New management team brings experience All vertical markets need our solutions (for varying requirements)

Cons

Brand awareness needs to be addressed There aren't many cons that I can list as management is recognizing shortfalls and working to address.

Advice to Management

Growing company so need to ensure we don't try to make too many changes all at once. Continue having the backs of salespeople.

Great product, but...So much turnover! Losing tons of business to competition.

Current Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Diego, CA

Pros

Great technology product. Good pay.

Cons

Turnover. Turnover. Turnover. There is not one sales person on any sales team that has been with Absolute for more then two years. Company just hired an entirely new management staff , who not only do not come from the industry, but not one manager has had any sales management experience.

Advice to Management

To upper management, get rid of the person who hired the middle managers and get a group of "sales leaders" not guys sitting back collecting a pay check.

Jul 16, 2015 – Absolute Software

Thank you for your feedback. We are incredibly proud of our sales team and the hard work they’ve done over the past year to evolve with the rest of the business. It’s been a record year in terms ... More

Absolute is well run with a customer focus that also allows employees to have a great work/home life balance.

I have been working at Absolute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Has a core set of software that is easy to learn, allows for travel, work from home and an independent feel while providing backup as needed.

Cons

Some events have been planned without thinking about US events like Thanksgiving and the Super Bowl, but I believe that has changed now.

Advice to Management

Keeping the employees happy as you have is the best way to ensure we keep the customers happy.

Feb 10, 2015 – Absolute Software

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review. And you are correct, as a global company, Absolute has taken measures to recognize the unique traditions and holidays within all of our office ... More

Directionless. Unlikely to make it with the competition now caught up.

I worked at Absolute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Generally nice people at the non management level. Good portfolio, but no emphasis placed on any other products except for Theft Recovery which is a dying market.

Cons

Terrible morale and some of the worst communication I have ever seen from management. Information flows through osmosis and leadership is focused on friendships not skill. YES men are the order of the day. They use proximity management, so that people closest to the CEO in the Vancouver ivory tower are on the inside track. The CEO seems intent on burning the company to the ground with direction from an inept marketing department. Unfortunately the main product line, Computrace is at the end of its useful life as all the other vendors have now caught up an introduced there own solutions for Theft Recovery and persistence, such as Apple and Google and soon Microsoft.

Advice to Management

Focus on building a global team that is well informed to disseminate information to the employees, not a walled garden in HQ that does not know whats happening on the ground.

Jan 5, 2015 – Absolute Software

Thank you for your honest feedback regarding Absolute Software. About six months ago, the results of an employee survey we conducted showed that we could do a much better job of communicating ... More

Tipping Point

I worked at Absolute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Many good co-workers, great partnerships within the PC ecosystem, fantastic technology. Benefits and salary average or slightly better than average.

Cons

Very much a sales driven organization which doesn't look past the current quarter. Horrible communication and execution on strategy...not sure if there was a strategy the extended beyond hitting the sales targets for the quarter. Limited accountability across all teams including CXOs, executive in-fighting and office politics created a hostile and toxic environment. Company at the beginning of a big transition with new CEO coming in. Many managers over the years were nice enough but did very little if anything in the form of providing constructive feedback, motivating individuals and team, measuring performance and developing people. Basic Management 101 skills apparently not wanted here.

Advice to Management

Clearly communicate the strategic objectives and hold ALL levels of management accountable not only for hitting the objectives (beyond sales quotas) but also for basic management functions.

RSS Feed </> Embed