Absolute Software

Updated October 9, 2014
3.1

Geoff Haydon

Great experience

I worked at Absolute Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Wonderful products and coworkers. During my time at Absolute Software I was given the opportunity to utilize my skills while also building on my experience to further advance my future career goals.

Cons

Lack of proactive apporach to growth and innovation led to quick and reactive decision making rather than a more strategic apporach at times.

Tipping Point

I worked at Absolute Software full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Many good co-workers, great partnerships within the PC ecosystem, fantastic technology. Benefits and salary average or slightly better than average.

Cons

Very much a sales driven organization which doesn't look past the current quarter. Horrible communication and execution on strategy...not sure if there was a strategy the extended beyond hitting the sales targets for the quarter. Limited accountability across all teams including CXOs, executive in-fighting and office politics created a hostile and toxic environment. Company at the beginning of a big transition with new CEO coming in. Many managers over the years were nice enough but did very little if anything in the form of providing constructive feedback, motivating individuals and team, measuring performance and developing people. Basic Management 101 skills apparently not wanted here.

Clearly communicate the strategic objectives and hold ALL levels of management accountable not only for hitting the objectives (beyond sales quotas) but also for basic management functions.

Time of Transition

Current Employee - Senior Inside Account Executive in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Inside Account Executive in Austin, TX

I have been working at Absolute Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Absolute has a truly unique product and smart, passionate people. Teammates seem to genuinely care for each other. There is an opportunity for the company to go from average to great.

Cons

I really hope the company finds its path!

It's ok. Could be better.

Current Employee - Inside Acct Executive in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Acct Executive in Austin, TX

I have been working at Absolute Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great pool of talent, nice people, global company with a very unique product.

Cons

Doesn't spend enough on marketing, needs more communication between offices, a less time consuming process for getting quotes out the door.

Good company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Absolute Software

Pros

Smart employees, good technology, opportunity to learn a lot.

Cons

Small company, pretends to be big, and can't compete in the large space. Constant fire drills.

Step up and hire more people to provide the appropriate level of service and to compete in the large verticals, or stay out of them. Otherwise, you are just running your people ragged. Stop trying to be all things to all people, with literally 300ish employees it's a joke.

Getting better, not quite there.

Current Employee - Account Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Absolute Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

New management seems to finally have an idea of how to run a sales business. Pay has increased somewhat, people are getting recognized for their achievements.

Cons

Compensation is still drastically lacking compared to competitors. Office culture is starting to spiral due to some (odd) management hires.

Compensate fairly, keep the place fun to work like it used to be. You're losing a lot of good talent.

Dead end job!

Former Employee - Sales in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Absolute Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great technology, nice coworkers, company used to be great until new management.

Cons

micromanagement, low pay, unrealistic quotas at times, friends and family hired each other in management so no checks and balances.

invest in your employees, think beyond the current quarter. look at the big picture.

Great team with an exciting technology

I have been working at Absolute Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Culture of the company is super, with different departments and stakeholders working effectively together to come up with solutions. First company I have worked for that truly lived the 'open door' philosophy. There is also a stronger long term vision and focus being shaped with new leadership and direction.

Cons

There were some temporary uncertainties as any company would have while going through changes at the top, and historically there were some issues in transitioning from a start up to a mature corporation - all of these things seem to be trending the right way with a very strong CEO coming on board

Great place to work

I have been working at Absolute Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The many enthusiastic and personable people make Absolute an enjoyable place to work. Leadership changes in the last half year have accelerated many improvements to internal systems and tools. Many investments are being made in the products, which have a unique competitive advantage with the persistence capability.

Ideas and personal initiative are encouraged, and lots of opportunity exists to move horizontally or vertically. As LATAM, EMEA and APJ markets are built out, international opportunities will also present themselves.

Cons

Having a solid vision, communicating it and driving a plan on how to get there have not been historical strong points. With the new CEO, however, the company is promising that this will change.

Keep communicating with the entire organization.

Absolute has a lot of potential and heading in the right direction

I have been working at Absolute Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people with great culture. Absolute has experienced a lot of changes recently but I think this has given us a lot of opportunities to grow and to build on what we already have. We have a strong product in the market and Absolute has proven that they are a leader in what they do. The company has improved on paying attention to what the employees need to grow and the gestures of pizza/popcorn days, baked goods, fruits, show that they want the employees to enjoy the culture here. There is no perfect company out there including Absolute Software but the employees here are kept for the most part happy here.

Cons

Recent changes in management but looking forward to seeing the upcoming opportunities in the business.