Absolute Software

Updated January 19, 2015
3.5

Geoff Haydon

Great experience

I worked at Absolute Software full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Wonderful products and coworkers. During my time at Absolute Software I was given the opportunity to utilize my skills while also building on my experience to further advance my future career goals.

Cons

Lack of proactive apporach to growth and innovation led to quick and reactive decision making rather than a more strategic apporach at times.

Directionless. Unlikely to make it with the competition now caught up.

I worked at Absolute Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Generally nice people at the non management level. Good portfolio, but no emphasis placed on any other products except for Theft Recovery which is a dying market.

Cons

Terrible morale and some of the worst communication I have ever seen from management. Information flows through osmosis and leadership is focused on friendships not skill. YES men are the order of the day. They use proximity management, so that people closest to the CEO in the Vancouver ivory tower are on the inside track. The CEO seems intent on burning the company to the ground with direction from an inept marketing department.

Unfortunately the main product line, Computrace is at the end of its useful life as all the other vendors have now caught up an introduced there own solutions for Theft Recovery and persistence, such as Apple and Google and soon Microsoft.

Focus on building a global team that is well informed to disseminate information to the employees, not a walled garden in HQ that does not know whats happening on the ground.

Jan 5, 2015Absolute Software

Thank you for your honest feedback regarding Absolute Software.

About six months ago, the results of an employee survey we conducted showed that we could do a much better job of communicating

Tipping Point

I worked at Absolute Software full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Many good co-workers, great partnerships within the PC ecosystem, fantastic technology. Benefits and salary average or slightly better than average.

Cons

Very much a sales driven organization which doesn't look past the current quarter. Horrible communication and execution on strategy...not sure if there was a strategy the extended beyond hitting the sales targets for the quarter. Limited accountability across all teams including CXOs, executive in-fighting and office politics created a hostile and toxic environment. Company at the beginning of a big transition with new CEO coming in. Many managers over the years were nice enough but did very little if anything in the form of providing constructive feedback, motivating individuals and team, measuring performance and developing people. Basic Management 101 skills apparently not wanted here.

Clearly communicate the strategic objectives and hold ALL levels of management accountable not only for hitting the objectives (beyond sales quotas) but also for basic management functions.

Time of Transition

Current Employee - Senior Inside Account Executive in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Inside Account Executive in Austin, TX

I have been working at Absolute Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Absolute has a truly unique product and smart, passionate people. Teammates seem to genuinely care for each other. There is an opportunity for the company to go from average to great.

Cons

I really hope the company finds its path!

It's ok. Could be better.

Current Employee - Inside Acct Executive in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Acct Executive in Austin, TX

I have been working at Absolute Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great pool of talent, nice people, global company with a very unique product.

Cons

Doesn't spend enough on marketing, needs more communication between offices, a less time consuming process for getting quotes out the door.

Good company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Absolute Software

Pros

Smart employees, good technology, opportunity to learn a lot.

Cons

Small company, pretends to be big, and can't compete in the large space. Constant fire drills.

Step up and hire more people to provide the appropriate level of service and to compete in the large verticals, or stay out of them. Otherwise, you are just running your people ragged. Stop trying to be all things to all people, with literally 300ish employees it's a joke.

Growing technology company

I have been working at Absolute Software

Pros

Strong upper management team and reputable Board. Positive morale.

Cons

Aging company that is still trying to shed certain practices from past culture and management.

Excellent growing company

Current Employee - Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Absolute Software

Pros

- Leadership is strong, management takes immediate action to issues that are brought up
    - Company is rapidly growing so a lot of opportunity to learn
    - Great managers that make employees feel like a valued team member
    - Great employee benefits and alternative benefits programs

Cons

- Growing company and not enough staff results in a few inefficiencies with regards to the speed and process of work being completed

Great time to be here

I have been working at Absolute Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best part about Absolute is the people I work with. Smart, strong performers, good people, I like spending time with them.

This is a great time to be at Absolute, the company is poised to expand its core technology to a much larger client base and to new applications. Exciting moves are coming.

Cons

A lot of change is going on, and some people are more comfortable with it than others. Ultimately the right decisions are being made, but it will take some time to feel comfortable for everyone.

After seeking input from staff, touch base with them to let them know what's going to happen with their ideas and why. People buy in when they feel heard, even if their idea isn't the path ultimately taken.

Jan 22, 2015Absolute Software

It’s a great team at Absolute – thank you for sharing your feedback. We have worked hard to cultivate a strong culture where we help drive one another.

We are working hard to improve communication
    ... More

An exciting time to be here!

Current Employee - Director in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Director in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Absolute Software full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The new CEO has completely changed the game at Absolute. Very focused, professional, and inspiring. I have been at Absolute for over five years and this is by far the most exciting time to work here.

Although the technology has always been strong, the lack of focus from previous leadership resulted in a very confused approach to the market. All of that has changed. Leadership is now willing to invest in people, infrastructure, and research to ensure Absolute is doing its best. With our share price at a 5-year high, the market is listening.

Other benefits: The employees rock, some of the best people with whom I've ever worked in technology. Great location downtown with transit on our doorstep. A balanced life/work philosophy is supported. Leadership that listens.

Cons

There is a lot of work required to get us where we're going. For some this can be a daunting prospect. People that are not willing to work hard and contribute probably won't like it here.

With so much going on, it will be easy to become distracted. Management needs to stick to the plan, communicate consistently across the organization, follow through on their commitments, and be accountable for getting us there.

Jan 9, 2015Absolute Software

Thank you for sharing your experience at Absolute. It’s great to hear that the positive changes and hard work are making a difference.

As you note, Geoff Haydon and the rest of the leadership