Abt Associates

Updated November 19, 2014
3.3

Abt Associates President and CEO Kathleen L. Flanagan
Kathleen L. Flanagan

Pros
  • Work life balance can become imbalanced at certain project cycle times (in 26 reviews)

• work life balance, some very smart people, decent salaries and good benefits (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Likes to push how great its work/life balance is - don't buy it, they don't really care (in 4 reviews)

• Many staff, especially junior staff, have challenges finding adequate coverage when the projects they are hired for end (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Company, Generally Speaking

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Abt Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Get to work on a range of topics within your division; Most staff are really smart, interesting, kind people; Work-life balance does really matter here, especially during family illness or if you are a parent; Let junior staff really prove themselves

Cons

No room to negotiate your salary once you start; A few older/lazier/sexist staff members need to be fired post-haste; labor planning can be challenging - some weeks you will work 35 hours and others you will work 60.

Fire people who are an HR nightmare waiting to happen; invest in junior staff who want to code (even if it is expensive in the short-run); Provide better vision care!

Summer Internship

I worked at Abt Associates as an intern

Pros

Great opportunity to understand the private sector side to public work– people are motivated to doing the best job they can.
    People have a ton of experience though opportunities for promotion seemed limited if you only have a Bachelors

Cons

Internship could have used much more structure— did not have a clear understanding of tasks or goals of my position

Great place to start, but not to develop

Current Employee - FCA
    Current Employee - FCA

I have been working at Abt Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- People are very friendly, everybody seems to know everybody
    - Nice work-life balance. I do not work overtime on a regular basis, maybe during peak times, which is understandable
    - Offer a good amount of training's

Cons

- No room for growth on the Finance Track. On the technical track, there seems to be more opportunities
    - Training's could be improved on
    - Lots of procedures' don't seem to have a set precedent

A Nice Place to Work At

I have been working at Abt Associates full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Abt is overall a terrific place to work. The company’s mission is satisfying to support. The people are smart and driven with diverse interests and most are genuinely nice, supportive, and respectful. Depending on where you are at in your career, what field you are in, and also on the specific area you’re working in, the ability to move up can vary, but in general the opportunity to grow professionally definitely exist here. There is a genuine focus on offering training to employees so they can obtain new skills.

Overall I have found people to be supportive, focused, and honest. Generally you are rewarded if you put in the effort and produce successes; this is as you would expect from any sensible, functional business. There is a definite focus on work life balance, although this might vary based on whom you work for and the type of work you’re involved in.

The company continues to grow even amid increasing competition and economic trials, but management is informative and transparent about this and continues to plan ahead and move forward. I’ve also seen incremental improvements being made within IT and HR the past year and generally find both areas to be responsive and effective.

The company does straddle the fence between being a for profit business and noble mission driven organization, but I really appreciate this hybrid model because on one end it admits the bottom line is crucial, but on the other end is an equal focus and concern on achieving results that benefit society.

I can’t speak about the future, but so far in my year here Abt has been a terrific professional experience. I love my work, I am a member of a great team, and the company is genuinely focused on achieving success and doing good work. I’m definitely enjoying my time here.

Cons

Abt can be a bit hierarchical and this can slow down decision making at times. A couple of areas tend to operate in ways that inculcate a culture of pomposity and aloofness.

I like working at Abt

I have been working at Abt Associates

Pros

They pay well for industry

Cons

Not collaborative for the industry

NA

Good company environment

Current Employee - Associate Analyst in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Associate Analyst in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Abt Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good environment that is not internally competitive and people are hard-working but happy. You can feel good about working for this mission driven company. The employees are truly passionate about the work they do.

Cons

Change is hard and the company is quite divided by division and practice area. Even if you have experience or interest in another area it is difficult to work on projects that are outside of your hired division

Many Positives

Current Employee - Project Manager in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Abt Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work Abt does is admirable. The mission, the dedication of the staff....all good.

Cons

The numbers in leadership are out of proportion to the people who are doing the important work. Likewise, the expenditures in salary and compensation are extraordinarily weighted to management and middle management. Decisions in operations (primarily in departments) are often not based on what is smart but instead on what is someone's personal whim or bias. It is a shame as this prevents the company from doing their good work in a productive and efficient manner. Decisions on where to spend resources is often driven by what will make the company look better and at all costs, do not admit that a mistake was made.

So much energy spent on covering up and making things "look good." That would be better spent just doing the work and treating people and budgets well.

Lightening speed growth in technology tools to get work done

Former Employee - Project Manager in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Abt Associates full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Training is provided to staff when new technology is rolled out and someone is always there to answer questions, you are never left behind. Company is always thinking of the next best system for each department to use.

Cons

My challenge was finding a mentor that goes through the same familiar work to help with challenges with the job.

Continue to change to new technologies and new processes.

Abt provides feel-good work -- bright, interesting colleagues and meaningful projects that make a difference

I have been working at Abt Associates full-time

Pros

There are a lot of very bright people working at Abt in a variety of fields, from health to justice to agriculture to climate change. Employees have access to numerous brown-bags on cutting-edge topics, training, webinars, etc. So, if you want to learn more, you can. Of course, you need to fit that in with your work. The work itself is challenging and meaningful (with, of course, headaches and frustrations at times). Employee benefits are very good -- health insurance, paid leave, 401k, etc.

Cons

As the company has grown, there are more levels of approval needed, more policies to follow. However, Abt is putting in time and money to make procedures more efficient and to reduce bureaucracy.
    Con or a pro depending on your perspective -- the work done at Abt is global in focus and important, and can require effort and extra hours depending on the project and the day. Facetime is not required or desired and people can take care of life as needed; however, when there's a deadline to be met, putting in the effort is appreciated.

Not the best for Junior employees. Hard to move up.

Current Employee - Subcontracts Representative in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Subcontracts Representative in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Abt Associates full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company does work to provide a work life balance and has a laid back environment (although this depends on the division I am told)

Cons

Struggles of a growing company mixed with salaries being skewed towards the top. Bonuses are only for executives. Raises are distributed via horse trading and side table conversations, reviews mean nothing.

Share the wealth.