Abt Associates

Abt Associates Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Abt Associates President and CEO Kathleen L. Flanagan

Kathleen L. Flanagan

Pros:
  • "Work/life balance is pretty good - RAs average 40-45 hours per week"
    in 18 reviews
  • "Flexibility in work/life balance Fair compensation There are absolutely brilliant people at this company who do world-changing work"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Likes to push how great its work/life balance is - don't buy it, they don't really care"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Many staff, especially junior staff, have challenges finding adequate coverage when the projects they are hired for end"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great colleagues, interesting work, but very tied to political environment.

Analyst (Former Employee)
    Cambridge, MA

ProsI got tons of opportunities to try my hand at new things, learned about econometrics and policy issues, the work-life balance was great, and my coworkers were awesome people who I am still friends with years later.

ConsEconomists and policy wonks don't make the best managers. Also the salaries are low. If the administration steers contracts to small businesses, it makes it tough to win contracts.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the good work-life balance. This is a great place to work for parents who need flexibility in their work schedules.

Great, if you are in the right position at the right time

Associate (Current Employee)
    Bethesda, MD

Proswork life balance, some very smart people, decent salaries and good benefits. If you are a very technical person, you can be involved in interesting technical work.

ConsMany overqualified individuals stuck pushing papers; "dry periods" where it seems like there is not enough work to go around to the mid-level folks.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is haphazard and management in some divisions is not very strong.

Serious work, smart people

Intern (Former Employee)
    Bethesda, MD

ProsAbt has lots of very smart, talented people working very hard to make a difference in the world. That's inspiring.

ConsLargely because of who its clients are, the company is fairly bureaucratic and seems slow to adopt innovation. The divisions, and projects, are segregated from one another, so there isn't much of a company identity.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo more to encourage interaction between staff and different divisions and projects.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A changing atmosphere - in a good way

Portfolio Manager (Current Employee)
    Bethesda, MD

ProsChange management seems to be a theme -- office space changes, leadership changes, department changes but they all seem to be on the same upward trajectory, being financially sound, becoming more agile and diversified. Leadership changes in departments like HR have been good. New team in place has made great strides in partnering with divisions and departments and are accessible. Very nice culture of people connected to the mission and value of diverse perspectives and critical thinking. CEO has great entrepreneurial attitude and brings competiveness and impactful strategy to the forefront.

ConsSome colleagues are not willing to consider fresh perspectives - often refer to "that is not how we have always done it."

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to make positive changes, even if the naysayers are not on board.

Cultural crisis

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Cambridge, MA

ProsA few dedicated and congenial coworkers.

ConsLeadership is non-existent. Cronyism prevails. Some managers are back-stabbing liars. Bad behavior from some tyrannical employees is sanctioned, creating a hostile work environment in some cases; not sure what you have to do to get fired from Abt. Low-level employees are not respected (I was a more experienced employee who watched RAs taken for granted, treated as personal assistants, and given menial tasks).

Advice to Senior ManagementGet real. Clean house on the liars and backstabbers. Don't sanction bad behavior; it is demoralizing to those who are trying to do the right thing.

Good place to work.

ProsInteresting projects that make a meaningful difference.
    Decent office space.
    Flexible work schedule, but largely based on your situation and supervisor.
    Yearly merit increases based on your performance and company performance.

ConsSiloed organization and difficult to work across divisions.
    Salary is average. Nothing great, but not terrible.
    Health plan is expensive.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement tries to foster "One Global Abt" across the company, but it doesn't really work. More cross-cutting activities need to take place.

A great place for mid to high-level employees

Senior Analyst (Current Employee)
    Bethesda, MD

ProsThis is a very smart (sometimes too smart) firm. It's a place where you get exposure to some of the best economists and evaluation experts in the US. There are a lot of opportunities to get published in top journals and to get the mentoring you need to build a great career in health or economics.

ConsIt can be very nerdy. Sometimes the discussions get bogged down into very boring detail. The firm has a lot of PhDs, and while they are awesome at their jobs, they sometimes tend to think like academics and not focus on practical issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe give some awards to younger people. All the prizes go to very senior economists, and that's okay, but often the younger folks feel a bit left out of the picture.

Great experience working with Abt Associates, Inc., for 18 yrs starting as Accounting Clerk and became Sr. Payroll clerk

Senior Payroll Clerk (Current Employee)
    Cambridge, MA

ProsBecame more efficient and professional work environment.

ConsDevelopment knowledge in ADP Payroll staff professionally.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways give the opportunity to others to became more efficient on work relate professionally.

Stench of deceit permeates the office

Bethesda, MD

ProsFrom what I have experienced so far, there are some hard-working employees committed to the mission of the company. Abt provides decent benefits, and if you are lucky, some degree of work-life balance.

ConsWhere do I start? Senior management seems to have adopted the policy that deceiving employees is the smartest course of action in a company/industry that across the board is suffering setbacks. In a company where the mission is "to improve the lives of people world-wide," it is a shame that this company does not treat its employees fairlyOver the past few years, Abt has made very questionable hiring decisions for senior level positions, and this company is turning into a police state. A friend in HR told us the CHRO comes down from her throne to quiz staff on some HR statement rather than interacting like normal people would.

Advice to Senior ManagementHonesty is the best policy. Stop trying to turn this company into a Fortune 500 company. If senior managers or executives are not a good fit for the company, don't let them destroy it even more than they already have. I would not have taken this job had I known everything it stands for is in the process of being destroyed.

A fun job conducting many interesting phone interviews and surveys.

Telephone Research Interviewer (Former Employee)
    Hadley, MA

ProsYou meet lots of people, you learn a lot about the projects you work on (job assistance programs, banks, health care, etc) and it's pretty easy work.

ConsPeople will occasionally hang up on you but no big deal, you're making too many calls to remember anyway.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe nice to the interviewers and encourage them, don't treat them like kids.

Worked for Abt Associates? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Abt Associates reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Abt Associates CEO Kathleen L. Flanagan. All 79 reviews posted anonymously by Abt Associates employees.