Abt Reviews

Bob Abt

1. Abt Electronics: Great money, not a place to hang your hat

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Abt (More than 3 years)

Pros

great family. great money. amazing career experience.

Cons

not a career but will help you get started.

Advice to Management

lots of favoritism. managers need to care more about quality and body of work than who they like the most.

Sales

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Glenview, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Glenview, IL

I worked at Abt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay, long lunches, is a great place to keep a long term job if you can put up with everything that goes with it.

Cons

Micromanaged, camera every inch of the building, tells you you're getting a bonus then takes it away with ridiculous write ups before it's actually time to take it. All of the managers are in a race to suck up to the big boss. Most of the older salesman are overweight and or depressed. Rude coworkers.

Advice to Management

Not everyone has to be written up for every little thing.

3. Employees are empowered to perform.

Current Employee - Helper in Glenview, IL
    Current Employee - Helper in Glenview, IL

I have been working at Abt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Immediate feedback pro or con. No pulled punches. The answer is always "Yes" to any reasonable request is the Co. mantra which empowers employees to make decisions. Abt family is always on hand and approachable. Bob Abt is a freakin genius .

Cons

None. Best place I have ever worked. However if you do not liking hard do not apply.

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on.

5. Great Company with great pay and very flexible

I have been working at Abt full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Pay, friendly environment if you are personable. They really take care of their employees, and i am not sure why others say otherwise. The owner of the company, Bob actually cares for his employees, heck he even bought me lunch at his restaurant over a half a dozen times. Their restaurant a few yards away is pretty good as well! Company was also flexible while I was in school allowing me to go part time when i needed to, and also allowed me to take long periods of time off when I really needed it. In sales, you get two weekdays off so thats pretty nice if you have them back to back since it feels like a weekend and gives you time to spend time with the kids and family. The benefits are available to you such as 401k and medical/dental. Medical coverage is a bit expensive but well worth it since its top notch protection.

Cons

Long hours at times. Work on weekends but its retail and thats where the opportunity to make money is. I am a smoker and it would be nice to have a closer smoking section versus having to walk a half a mile to smoke a cigarette. It keeps us productive, I know its a bad habit but its what we do!

Advice to Management

Doing a great job, thanks for buying me lunch! It makes my day feel a lot better knowing that upper management actually cares about you, and you are not just a number,

6. favoritism rampant, get better treatment based on how you treat top brass.

Current Employee - Sales in Glenview, IL

I have been working at Abt (More than 10 years)

Pros

Hourly pay + spiffs versus others in industry at low pay and no commission.

Cons

Keeping track of the in house politics, having to deal with one price for one customer, a different price for a different type of customer. If from south side of chicago, bring cash or stay home.

Advice to Management

be aware of problems in house drama create. remember that those nicest to you are not really the best employees.

Electronic Service Representative

Current Employee - Electronic Service Representative in Glenview, IL
    Current Employee - Electronic Service Representative in Glenview, IL

I have been working at Abt full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay for the position

Cons

Good pay for low end jobs and horrible pay for office jobs. Room for advancement is based on who knows who mindset. No loyalty to employees that have been with the company for years. Seen employees fired for no reasons just cause the owners of the company didnt like them. Ricky Abt should really stop promoting being professional in the work place when he roller skates around the warehouse.

Love the Abt family

Former Employee - Floor Sales in Glenview, IL
    Former Employee - Floor Sales in Glenview, IL

I worked at Abt full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Taught me a ton about electronics Gave me an opportunity to grow in a great family owned business Great pay and benefits Made me realize what it's like working for a great successful company First company that gave bonuses

Cons

The hours aren't ideal, however it's a sales job. So just like any sales job you are requires to work weekends & holidays.

Advice to Management

I worked at Abt for 7 years it was by far the best company I have worked for. I think it's funny as to how many people have negative things to say, but I think it's probably because they were awful employees which resulted in them getting fired.. The Abt's don't fire people, lazy employees fire themselves. That family takes care of their employees and always asks the employees their opinions as to making things better and easier on everyone. Not because they have to but because they truly care. I left Abt because I started a family but when I look back at the 7 years I've spent there I have nothing but positive things to say about that company/family.

9. I love working at Abt and hope to work there for years to come.

Current Employee - Sales in Glenview, IL

I have been working at Abt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We work hard and we have fun. Abt has a friendly atmosphere and culture. Our people try and mostly succeed in providing great service and support to our customers. We enjoy opportunities to advance with good pay and benefits.

Cons

Sore feet after long hours on the sales floors. Interestingly I feel better when it's busy than when it's not.

Advice to Management

Continue to care for our employees and customers. Review compensation yearly and adjust on merit.

10. Abt is a great place!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glenview, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glenview, IL

I have been working at Abt full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Abt is a great place because the simple formula works. Every employee is empowered to make the decisions needed to deliver the highest level of Customer Service. Our commitment to this goal has produced national awards and drives our growth. Personally, I am proud to be a part of this success. Unlike most retail, the hours are reasonable and Abt really allows a solid quality of life. Employee retention is strong and the compensation is well above industry standards.

Cons

I have been in retail for several years, no place is perfect. For 78 years, the Abt formula has proven to be very successful.........

Advice to Management

Continue to provide balanced feedback.

11. It's a wild place to work but very satisfying. It's nice knowing you work for the best in the country!

I have been working at Abt full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is a giant family for better or worse. Bob and sons (especially Bob) are very receptive to new ideas. It doesn't matter if you're warehouse, managerial or sales, they appreciate hearing your input. They are very compassionate. I've felt very comfortable approaching and making suggestions. You don't get that in most places! The customer service is second to none and it is rewarding to know I am a part of a prestigious and respected company. The pay is good and for the most part you can do whatever you want as long as it is for the good of the customers and the company.

Cons

Nothing out of the ordinary. Some politics. Some "make-it-up-as-we-go-along" mentality. But that has been working or for decades! The worst part are the hour requirements to be eligible for PTO and holiday pay. 5 star rating if this was reverted back to 37 hours.

Advice to Management

Always remember to treat the staff with respect. We are all on the same team. Say hi when you walk by. (Most of you do)

RSS Feed </> Embed