Abt Reviews

Updated August 7, 2014
Updated August 7, 2014

3.6

Bob Abt

I love working at Abt and hope to work there for years to come.

Current Employee - Sales  in  Glenview, IL
    Current Employee - Sales in Glenview, IL

I have been working at Abt full-time for more than a year

Pros

We work hard and we have fun. Abt has a friendly atmosphere and culture. Our people try and mostly succeed in providing great service and support to our customers. We enjoy opportunities to advance with good pay and benefits.

Cons

Sore feet after long hours on the sales floors. Interestingly I feel better when it's busy than when it's not.

Continue to care for our employees and customers. Review compensation yearly and adjust on merit.

Electronic Service Representative

Current Employee - Electronic Service Representative  in  Glenview, IL
    Current Employee - Electronic Service Representative in Glenview, IL

I have been working at Abt full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay for the position

Cons

Good pay for low end jobs and horrible pay for office jobs. Room for advancement is based on who knows who mindset. No loyalty to employees that have been with the company for years. Seen employees fired for no reasons just cause the owners of the company didnt like them. Ricky Abt should really stop promoting being professional in the work place when he roller skates around the warehouse.

Abt is a great place!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Glenview, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glenview, IL

I have been working at Abt full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Abt is a great place because the simple formula works. Every employee is empowered to make the decisions needed to deliver the highest level of Customer Service. Our commitment to this goal has produced national awards and drives our growth. Personally, I am proud to be a part of this success.

Unlike most retail, the hours are reasonable and Abt really allows a solid quality of life.
    Employee retention is strong and the compensation is well above industry standards.

Cons

I have been in retail for several years, no place is perfect. For 78 years, the Abt formula has proven to be very successful.........

Continue to provide balanced feedback.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

78 years strong.

Current Employee - Abt Employee  in  Glenview, IL
    Current Employee - Abt Employee in Glenview, IL

I have been working at Abt full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

#1 in consumer reports #1 place to work for chicago tribune. Family owned business that really cares about the employees. Great pay, 401k, gym, clean working environment, and only getting bigger.

Cons

That there isn't a second location in Arizona.

Some of the best managers around thank you all for making Abt what it is today.

Love the Abt family

Former Employee - Floor Sales  in  Glenview, IL
    Former Employee - Floor Sales in Glenview, IL

I worked at Abt full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Taught me a ton about electronics
    Gave me an opportunity to grow in a great family owned business
    Great pay and benefits
     Made me realize what it's like working for a great successful company
    First company that gave bonuses

Cons

The hours aren't ideal, however it's a sales job. So just like any sales job you are requires to work weekends & holidays.

I worked at Abt for 7 years it was by far the best company I have worked for. I think it's funny as to how many people have negative things to say, but I think it's probably because they were awful employees which resulted in them getting fired.. The Abt's don't fire people, lazy employees fire themselves. That family takes care of their employees and always asks the employees their opinions as to making things better and easier on everyone. Not because they have to but because they truly care. I left Abt because I started a family but when I look back at the 7 years I've spent there I have nothing but positive things to say about that company/family.

Sales

Current Employee - Sales Floor  in  Glenview, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Floor in Glenview, IL

I have been working at Abt full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have recently joined the Abt family and I couldn't be any happier! What a great place to work, great benefits, excellent salary lots of opportunities. Management has an open door policy!!! Great group of people on the sales floor that are always happy to help out. Mr. Abt and his family have built the BEST #1 in Consumer Reports 5 years in a row!! Very proud to be part of this amazing company!!

Cons

Retail hours are always long

Keep doing what your doing. I love that Mr. Abt and his son's are always willing to take the time to talk to you if you have a problem or even listen to a new idea's you may have.

#1 in the country

Current Employee - Floor Sales  in  Glenview, IL
    Current Employee - Floor Sales in Glenview, IL

I have been working at Abt full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you work hard in your position, you will get noticed. If you lose track of the goal (taking care of the customer), it will get noticed. Just like any other company, there are benefits and there are issues. There may be loose ends in management, but I have yet to work at a job that hasn't had some of the same (and more) issues. At every job, there will be personalities that do not match, ideas that do not mesh, and opportunity overlooked. Abt as a company has been thriving for 78 years, and it shows. The owner has been a great leader. He is very present at the store and cares deeply for his company and employees. He works hard for what he has earned and I would think wants each and every single employee to work just as hard. The business has been family owned and should be run as a family. Relation or not. His sons are following his direction in the best way, and I am sure they will continue the legacy.

Cons

Abt's motto is taking care of the customer: "say yes to any reasonable request." Unfortunately this idea can spoil some customers and then those customers take advantage of the company/employees. People need to understand the difference between necessities and wants.

Spend a day in each department/position to experience and understand what goes into each area.

18yrs and still going! Thanks to the Abt family.

Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Abt

Pros

Witnessing and learning what it takes to operate a successful business by Bob Abt is inspiring. The man is in his 70's and still heavily involved in the day to day business. He's seems to be the glue that keeps it all together.

You feel like part of the family!

Your hard work is always noticed and appreciated.

Your Wages are very fair.

Witnessing the growth of the company and contributing to it, is very rewarding.

Many opportunities for growth. Promoted multiple times.

Cons

Working weekends and Missing out on family time.

But that's part of the gig with working in retail!

Great experience, phenomenal company and managers, who sincerely care about their employee and customers.

I have been working at Abt for more than 5 years

Pros

The atmosphere is great, customers know how good the company is and makes sales very effortless. Most importantly they backup everything try say and the customers clearly know that.

Cons

Not many. Long hours? I'll take them.

Keep up the good work and as we continue to grow and expand every day, don't be afraid to ask for help/ promote more to keep your job title in line.

The Best

Current Employee - Sales  in  Glenview, IL
    Current Employee - Sales in Glenview, IL

I have been working at Abt full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great owners and great pay. A class store to work at.

Cons

You can't complain when you work at the #1 store in the country.

Keep up the good work.

Worked for Abt? Contribute to the Community!