Abt Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.5
Bob Abt

1. Employees are empowered to perform.

Current Employee - Helper in Glenview, IL
    Current Employee - Helper in Glenview, IL

I have been working at Abt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Immediate feedback pro or con. No pulled punches. The answer is always "Yes" to any reasonable request is the Co. mantra which empowers employees to make decisions. Abt family is always on hand and approachable. Bob Abt is a freakin genius .

Cons

None. Best place I have ever worked. However if you do not liking hard do not apply.

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on.

2. Great Company with great pay and very flexible

I have been working at Abt full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Pay, friendly environment if you are personable. They really take care of their employees, and i am not sure why others say otherwise. The owner of the company, Bob actually cares for his employees, heck he even bought me lunch at his restaurant over a half a dozen times. Their restaurant a few yards away is pretty good as well!

Company was also flexible while I was in school allowing me to go part time when i needed to, and also allowed me to take long periods of time off when I really needed it.

In sales, you get two weekdays off so thats pretty nice if you have them back to back since it feels like a weekend and gives you time to spend time with the kids and family.

The benefits are available to you such as 401k and medical/dental. Medical coverage is a bit expensive but well worth it since its top notch protection.

Cons

Long hours at times. Work on weekends but its retail and thats where the opportunity to make money is. I am a smoker and it would be nice to have a closer smoking section versus having to walk a half a mile to smoke a cigarette. It keeps us productive, I know its a bad habit but its what we do!

Advice to Management

Doing a great job, thanks for buying me lunch! It makes my day feel a lot better knowing that upper management actually cares about you, and you are not just a number,

3. favoritism rampant, get better treatment based on how you treat top brass.

Current Employee - Sales in Glenview, IL

I have been working at Abt (More than 10 years)

Pros

Hourly pay + spiffs versus others in industry at low pay and no commission.

Cons

Keeping track of the in house politics, having to deal with one price for one customer, a different price for a different type of customer. If from south side of chicago, bring cash or stay home.

Advice to Management

be aware of problems in house drama create. remember that those nicest to you are not really the best employees.

Electronic Service Representative

Current Employee - Electronic Service Representative in Glenview, IL
    Current Employee - Electronic Service Representative in Glenview, IL

I have been working at Abt full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay for the position

Cons

Good pay for low end jobs and horrible pay for office jobs. Room for advancement is based on who knows who mindset. No loyalty to employees that have been with the company for years. Seen employees fired for no reasons just cause the owners of the company didnt like them. Ricky Abt should really stop promoting being professional in the work place when he roller skates around the warehouse.

6. I love working at Abt and hope to work there for years to come.

Current Employee - Sales in Glenview, IL

I have been working at Abt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We work hard and we have fun. Abt has a friendly atmosphere and culture. Our people try and mostly succeed in providing great service and support to our customers. We enjoy opportunities to advance with good pay and benefits.

Cons

Sore feet after long hours on the sales floors. Interestingly I feel better when it's busy than when it's not.

Advice to Management

Continue to care for our employees and customers. Review compensation yearly and adjust on merit.

7. Abt is a great place!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glenview, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glenview, IL

I have been working at Abt full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Abt is a great place because the simple formula works. Every employee is empowered to make the decisions needed to deliver the highest level of Customer Service. Our commitment to this goal has produced national awards and drives our growth. Personally, I am proud to be a part of this success.

Unlike most retail, the hours are reasonable and Abt really allows a solid quality of life.
    Employee retention is strong and the compensation is well above industry standards.

Cons

I have been in retail for several years, no place is perfect. For 78 years, the Abt formula has proven to be very successful.........

Advice to Management

Continue to provide balanced feedback.

8. Love the Abt family

Former Employee - Floor Sales in Glenview, IL
    Former Employee - Floor Sales in Glenview, IL

I worked at Abt full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Taught me a ton about electronics
    Gave me an opportunity to grow in a great family owned business
    Great pay and benefits
     Made me realize what it's like working for a great successful company
    First company that gave bonuses

Cons

The hours aren't ideal, however it's a sales job. So just like any sales job you are requires to work weekends & holidays.

Advice to Management

I worked at Abt for 7 years it was by far the best company I have worked for. I think it's funny as to how many people have negative things to say, but I think it's probably because they were awful employees which resulted in them getting fired.. The Abt's don't fire people, lazy employees fire themselves. That family takes care of their employees and always asks the employees their opinions as to making things better and easier on everyone. Not because they have to but because they truly care. I left Abt because I started a family but when I look back at the 7 years I've spent there I have nothing but positive things to say about that company/family.

9. It's a wild place to work but very satisfying. It's nice knowing you work for the best in the country!

I have been working at Abt full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is a giant family for better or worse. Bob and sons (especially Bob) are very receptive to new ideas. It doesn't matter if you're warehouse, managerial or sales, they appreciate hearing your input. They are very compassionate.

I've felt very comfortable approaching and making suggestions. You don't get that in most places!

The customer service is second to none and it is rewarding to know I am a part of a prestigious and respected company.

The pay is good and for the most part you can do whatever you want as long as it is for the good of the customers and the company.

Cons

Nothing out of the ordinary. Some politics. Some "make-it-up-as-we-go-along" mentality.
    But that has been working or for decades!

The worst part are the hour requirements to be eligible for PTO and holiday pay. 5 star rating if this was reverted back to 37 hours.

Advice to Management

Always remember to treat the staff with respect. We are all on the same team. Say hi when you walk by. (Most of you do)

10. #1 in the country

Current Employee - Floor Sales in Glenview, IL
    Current Employee - Floor Sales in Glenview, IL

I have been working at Abt full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you work hard in your position, you will get noticed. If you lose track of the goal (taking care of the customer), it will get noticed. Just like any other company, there are benefits and there are issues. There may be loose ends in management, but I have yet to work at a job that hasn't had some of the same (and more) issues. At every job, there will be personalities that do not match, ideas that do not mesh, and opportunity overlooked. Abt as a company has been thriving for 78 years, and it shows. The owner has been a great leader. He is very present at the store and cares deeply for his company and employees. He works hard for what he has earned and I would think wants each and every single employee to work just as hard. The business has been family owned and should be run as a family. Relation or not. His sons are following his direction in the best way, and I am sure they will continue the legacy.

Cons

Abt's motto is taking care of the customer: "say yes to any reasonable request." Unfortunately this idea can spoil some customers and then those customers take advantage of the company/employees. People need to understand the difference between necessities and wants.

Advice to Management

Spend a day in each department/position to experience and understand what goes into each area.

11. 78 years strong.

Current Employee - Abt Employee in Glenview, IL
    Current Employee - Abt Employee in Glenview, IL

I have been working at Abt full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

#1 in consumer reports #1 place to work for chicago tribune. Family owned business that really cares about the employees. Great pay, 401k, gym, clean working environment, and only getting bigger.

Cons

That there isn't a second location in Arizona.

Advice to Management

Some of the best managers around thank you all for making Abt what it is today.

RSS Feed </> Embed