Abt

Bob Abt

love working here

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Abt full-time for more than 10 years

Prosgreat pay and great people to work with.
also, the store is first class. always updating things and making things better for us.
free employee gym and nice lunchroom.
the family that owns/runs it really cares about the staff.

Constheir bonus fund is a little goofy,
but they do pay out the cash.
for sure long hours,
but it is retail and they do pay overtime.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep running a tight ship, and maybe even tighten it up more.
lose the whiners and complainers so us workers could keep on working.
aslo, nice to see you putting the hours in as we do.

Worked with great people, dissatisfied with opportunities to grow

Web Content (Former Employee)
Glenview, IL

I worked at Abt full-time for more than a year

ProsThe hours are flexible and the pay is good compared to most retail jobs. They really know how to take care of the customer. Great for high-school or college students looking for part-time work. Great inter-department relations.

ConsNot much room to move up. If you're a college grad, don't expect that to raise your glass ceiling. Be careful what you're overheard saying. A simple joke could leave you looking for next job. Petty arguments amongst management feels like high-school drama (depending on department).

Advice to Senior ManagementFor better employee retention, treat your employees as you do your customers rather than second class citizens.

Love this place

I have been working at Abt full-time

ProsNice People
growing company
resonable goals and targets

Consit is work and work sometimes is not fun

Advice to Senior Managementgreat job on 78 years

Poor Management - Long Hours

I worked at Abt full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat Facility, always clean and being updated
Above average pay with overtime included for most positions, benefits are good and in line with most large companies.

ConsOvertime and bonus is calculated in the "offer" so beware. So called upper management are all golfing buddies with the owners, you are either in or out. It is a way to get promoted.
Great people have left the company and the talent loss shows, moral is very low. Several mangers have no experience in the field they are in and can not lead people. The negative aspect of the so called bonus fund creates a "I don't care" atmosphere. People who were sleeping at their desk still work there and run departments. Do yourself a favor and keep your self respect and look elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep skilled people in their positions, have metrics to measure success and failure not word of mouth from the night crew. Ask your staff about a potential issue first not reward your ex warehouse security manager for turning someone in. Who is watching the watcher?
Have a management team in place that has done the various jobs in the store and has the respect of others and can make a positive contribution to the overall success of the company not just work late and talk about everyone else. Can not have 5 owners, open a second store where they can thrive and not compete against each other.

Unethical treatment. Expected to be a robot.

high end sales (Former Employee)

I worked at Abt full-time for more than 8 years

ProsMade good money in the beginning. Then the Abt's got greedy and then not so much. Used to be a great job.

ConsTreated like a number. You have to be a robot to succeed there. Told frequently that "you are replaceable" told where the door is. When let go, you will be told "it's not working out" no other reason is given.

Advice to Senior ManagementOnly if you have something on the Abt's or if your head is up their rear (deep)

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worst company to work for.

I worked at Abt

ProsYou may find that you work with some good coworkers below management level, but they usually leave the company quickly once they realize how underappreciated they are there and how poor the company structure is.

ConsNo opportunities to move up in the company. The company is run like a high school full of drama and a complete lack of professionalism from owners, managers, and down. Employees work constantly with fear of losing their job or being punished by constant "bonus fund" deductions. Nearly impossible to get raises but workloads and management expectations always increase over time. Absolutely zero employee loyalty, you can be fired for any or no reason no matter how long you've been there.

Advice to Senior ManagementOwners/managers should actually show some respect to their employees and learn to run a business professionally. Company lacks leaders that are qualified for their positions, most are just sycophants to the owners.

worst company to work for...

Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at Abt full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIf your a customer, the best place to shop. They will give away what you want to purchase at your price..

ConsIn spite of being rated NO: 1 in consumer reports and also voted best retail work place in Chocago, the employees are always in fear as some one is watching them. Its all negative that postive environament.If your negative in the bonus, where you don't paid, but the money is taken away from your check. The file letters/ learning letters are a joke.. Micro managed.. Hitler rule in this age and time...Management change rules like you change your clothes.. bottom line, all they they care is for the money and not for the employess... you will have to eat @ Jolanes atleast once a month, now the employees have to pay $ 100.00 from their bonus to eat at Joanes..

Advice to Senior ManagementThey suck...let your employees enjoy their work...

Everyone is replaceable

I worked at Abt full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAbove avg pay, flexibility (at times), it is a very nice showroom.

ConsYou're just a number. Leave your self respect, honor, and any virtue at the door-if you don't drink the koolaid you're out.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some management classes.

good to work there until you find something better

Sales (Former Employee)

ProsGreat sales training
Pay is a little better than normal retail
Benefit and 401 match
Co-woker

ConsDuring December they require you to work extra days.
Sales meeting starts at 9pm and ends 11pm. So the more things they see wrong the longer the sales meeting goes.
Bonus should be given out right or not... Current system is you start off a bonus and when their's a problem you minus it.
If you didn’t eat at the restaurant at least once a month you didn’t show support then your on the bad list; And when you ate their not much of discount.

Advice to Senior Managementstop changing the rules every week.

I worked here for way to long.

Moved Thru Company (Current Employee)

I have been working at Abt full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIt's a job and that's a stretch

ConsVery over worked and under paid,micro managed,the owners are all in the family and don't care about anyone but themselves,they continually lie to customers,any discounts or free service issues are take from the pay of sales people or delivery staff(the company never loses only employees)All managers brownnosed thier way up.You feel like your walking on eggshells(going to lose your job if you say the wrong thing or look at someone wrong way) everyday you go to work.They think everyone that works for them wants to steal from them,Everyone entering or leaving the building must pass through a metal detector(except the owners)Customer is always right ,employees are always wrong.The whole company is inherited from the dead grandfather,all the owners do is handle cust.complains(the ones that get to them)and watch the video cameras to figure out new ways to screw over thier employees.I don't want to sound disgruntled so thats all I'll put,But it's all true.: )

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't sux ,get a life,and quit screwing people over for your own advancement,(what comes around goes around)

Worked for Abt? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Abt reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Abt CEO Bob Abt. All 21 reviews posted anonymously by Abt employees.