Abuelo's Mexican Restaurant Reviews

1. Great Place to work

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Abuelo's Mexican Restaurant

Pros

Company is very concerned with its employees. Decent benefits. Good environment. Fun atmosphere.

Cons

Dont have anything bad to say about the company.

I really enjoy most of the interaction I have had with the upper level management. They don't beat you into the ground if you make mistakes. They make observations and let you deal with it on a store level. Very people friendly.

2. Nothing spectacular or anything to turn me away either.

I have been working at Abuelo's Mexican Restaurant

Pros

Hours have been great.

Cons

Nothing is done to get people excited about their position.

Work on company morale.

3. Working for Abuelo's was a pleasant experience.

I worked at Abuelo's Mexican Restaurant

Pros

The managers were very accommodating.

Cons

Could use some improvements in the kitchen.

5. Good place, always busy. Poor management

I worked at Abuelo's Mexican Restaurant

Pros

Highest grossing restaurant in Lubbock, always busy. Always shifts available to pick up. Usually have extras on the schedule so there's always a chance you can go home if you don't want to work. Organized. The other servers are a really great group of people.

Cons

Management doesn't care about employees, except maybe the people that have been there a long time. Even then, they don't mind screwing the veterans over. It's hard to move up to good sections as a new employee. You could do everything a great employee does and they wouldn't look your way. 30% discount, but the only times you can really eat is outside of work and between a double, which they usually have you work straight through, so there's hardly any time.

Treating your employees, not just customers, well and with care goes a long way.

6. Good place for "newbies" if you have experience, certs, and education just keep on moving.

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Abuelo's Mexican Restaurant

Pros

Great training program. Every day that I went to work I was proud of the product that we served, also I am proud to come from a company that cares so much for their front line staff; all employees from the dishwasher up are eligible for, and many receive, annual bonus, health benefits (long before it was law), and everyone that works full time qualifies for paid vacation..we even paid the servers PTO based on their reported tips. Hours are decent, not great.

Cons

Some of upper mgmt is very VERY out of touch with the climate. Corporate and local management pretty much all seem to have been lulled into a very comfortable spot, which is fine for them, but those on the front lines are the ones that bare the brunt of management shortfalls. Corporate spends TONS of money on trivial pointless things and horrible marketing campaigns that almost always flop, then pull the cash for these silly ideas out of store bottom lines while neglecting much of the necessary equipment. Also many of the office procedures implemented were clearly devised by off site specialists, intended to make things easier for the number crunchers in home office while just making significantly more work for those of us that are already short on time.

Please get into the field and see whats going on. The economy is turning around and your still acting like we are living in a buyers market, the last seven years are no indication of what is to come and to sum that all up in a word, competition. There are a few strong stores that are making up for the short comings of others but much of that boom will begin to wind down soon and you will be left with a lot of antiquated low volume locations.

7. Fun place to work

Former Employee - Hostess in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Hostess in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Abuelo's Mexican Restaurant full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I loved working at Abuelo's I worked there for 3 years as a hostess. When I first started out I loved the management staff and because they were good they started promoting them to different Abuelo's restaurants around the country. The company then hired from within and in my mind that was not a good idea. Lots of time was spent getting even with other coworkers who were now subordinates.

Cons

I left the company because I could not stand the new management staff, they only looked out for themselves and never listened to the grievances of the employees. However, I have heard that since I have left they changed management staff so, hopefully it has gotten better.

Listen to your employees

8. Wrongful Termination

Former Employee - Bus Boy in Lubbock, TX
    Former Employee - Bus Boy in Lubbock, TX

I worked at Abuelo's Mexican Restaurant part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Food was ok. Company did offer employee discount.

Cons

VERY poor management. Huge turn over, firing good employees constantly. Managers have no clue on proper management skills. Have "favorite" employees making work environment unfair. Would NEVER recommend to ANYONE to work here.

Get proper training. Give credit where it's deserved. VALUE your good dependable workers. STOP and LISTEN to your staff when problems arise. Treat EVERYONE with RESPECT. Acknowledge WE have families as well and bad times will arise. STOP thinking about YOURSELVES ALL THE TIME. GM's should monitor without giving notice. Interview random employees from ALL areas and ask for input on overall management and treatment. And keep CONFIDENTIAL. And Actually help "Fix" issues. It makes for happier staff and better costomer service.

9. Fun place to work

I have been working at Abuelo's Mexican Restaurant full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

management is easy going with little to no micromanagement. Food is good and employee discount is competitive to other stores

Cons

company growth is seemingly at a standstill, advancement within the company is totally dependent upon your availability to relocate to possible crap market

open more stores outside of texas

10. Good Job

I have been working at Abuelo's Mexican Restaurant

Pros

Tips, fun people, great atmosphere and food.

Cons

Serving isn't for everyone as there isn't the guarantee of making good money every day.

11. Great for college students, but not a place to make a career

Former Employee - Server in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Server in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Abuelo's Mexican Restaurant part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people for the most part were pretty relaxed and fun to work with.

Cons

Management at my location came to work looking for a power-trip everyday. Waiting tables your always going to have back-of-house work and complaining customers, so that's just part of it.

Make sure you really know who is managing, or not managing, each of your store locations