Abuelo's Mexican Restaurant

Updated September 9, 2014
3.1

James Young

Fun place to work

I have been working at Abuelo's Mexican Restaurant full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

management is easy going with little to no micromanagement. Food is good and employee discount is competitive to other stores

Cons

company growth is seemingly at a standstill, advancement within the company is totally dependent upon your availability to relocate to possible crap market

open more stores outside of texas

Fun place to work

Former Employee - Hostess in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Hostess in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Abuelo's Mexican Restaurant full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I loved working at Abuelo's I worked there for 3 years as a hostess. When I first started out I loved the management staff and because they were good they started promoting them to different Abuelo's restaurants around the country. The company then hired from within and in my mind that was not a good idea. Lots of time was spent getting even with other coworkers who were now subordinates.

Cons

I left the company because I could not stand the new management staff, they only looked out for themselves and never listened to the grievances of the employees. However, I have heard that since I have left they changed management staff so, hopefully it has gotten better.

Listen to your employees

Wrongful Termination

Former Employee - Bus Boy in Lubbock, TX
    Former Employee - Bus Boy in Lubbock, TX

I worked at Abuelo's Mexican Restaurant part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Food was ok. Company did offer employee discount.

Cons

VERY poor management. Huge turn over, firing good employees constantly. Managers have no clue on proper management skills. Have "favorite" employees making work environment unfair. Would NEVER recommend to ANYONE to work here.

Get proper training. Give credit where it's deserved. VALUE your good dependable workers. STOP and LISTEN to your staff when problems arise. Treat EVERYONE with RESPECT. Acknowledge WE have families as well and bad times will arise. STOP thinking about YOURSELVES ALL THE TIME. GM's should monitor without giving notice. Interview random employees from ALL areas and ask for input on overall management and treatment. And keep CONFIDENTIAL. And Actually help "Fix" issues. It makes for happier staff and better costomer service.

Good Job

I have been working at Abuelo's Mexican Restaurant

Pros

Tips, fun people, great atmosphere and food.

Cons

Serving isn't for everyone as there isn't the guarantee of making good money every day.

Great for college students, but not a place to make a career

Former Employee - Server in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Server in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Abuelo's Mexican Restaurant part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people for the most part were pretty relaxed and fun to work with.

Cons

Management at my location came to work looking for a power-trip everyday. Waiting tables your always going to have back-of-house work and complaining customers, so that's just part of it.

Make sure you really know who is managing, or not managing, each of your store locations

Lead Coordinator

Former Employee - Lead Coordinator in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Lead Coordinator in Plano, TX

I worked at Abuelo's Mexican Restaurant part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work when I was in high school.

Cons

Nothing bad to say. Great company.

keep up the great work. Amazing food.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Catering Coordinator in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Catering Coordinator in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Abuelo's Mexican Restaurant full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great between jobs job at the time I needed it. I stayed a little longer than I expected and was promoted. Liked the environment and management was cool.

Cons

The tips and pay were not enough for my lifestyle at the time. But its okay for restaurant work. Not too hard and ok pay.

Keep it up with good work on hiring great managers

Don't even bother

Former Employee - Server in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Server in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Abuelo's Mexican Restaurant part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The only pro i can really see with this company is that their food tastes good.

Cons

You have to split parties of 12 or more even if the party takes up your entire section and the person you are sharing with has a complete section of their own, the hostess play favoritism and only seat the ones they like, Management is always busy either eating, playing on their phone, smoking, or chatting with regulars for hours on end. Constantly scheduled doubles just to work 2 hours each shift. Nasty dishes! Definitely not a clean restaurant. I worked there for a year and a half and still felt brand new. Everyone there is stuck up and don't want to create business partnerships.

Quit acting like your too good for everyone and actually do your job.

Not a terrible place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Abuelo's Mexican Restaurant full-time

Pros

Made a decent amount of money by putting in a lot of work

Cons

Management really likes to micromanage employees without giving solid feedback to grow from

Hire better GMs for your stores

poor management which leads to a high turnover.

Current Employee - Server in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Server in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

easy to obtain employment, early hours, flexible schedules, location, patio seating.

Cons

low tips, poor management, poorly trained managers, high tip share for little assistance, little attention paid to sanitation. managers that fraternize with certain employees which leads to unfair working conditions. lack of continued training and skillful trainers, slow bar service which leads to reduced guest satisfaction.

hire managers who have college degrees who understand the value of teamwork and employee rewards. District managers who make visits without forewarning which would allow a more accurate evaluation of the work situation.