Academi

Craig Nixon

Great Company, Bad Leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Moyock, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Moyock, NC

I worked at Academi full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I honestly loved working at ACADEMI. The people I worked with were great and i loved the work environment. I loved how busy we were consistently and how the job was challenging and demanding. The pay was decent and the benefits were great as long as you were a full time employee.

Cons

Wrong leadership. To many changes. To many layoffs and then rehires. One day one department has control over something and the next the whole policy has changed, they have new employees and a whole new department. A month later they will move it back to the old department and the new employees will be shuffled around or laid off. They did not value hard working employee's but valued people with pedigree's.

Restructure senior management instead of personnel. There should be more accountability among Directors and Managers. There should be better communication about goals and the vision of the company.

Lost at sea

Current Employee - Information Technology Manager in Moyock, NC
    Current Employee - Information Technology Manager in Moyock, NC

I have been working at Academi full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great guys on the front line doing the heavy lifting

Cons

Management is clueless and do not have real-world business experience.

Stop hiring your buddies and hire some expert business folks to lead at all levels

So much potential for greatness, no direction, path or way to get there

Former Employee - Contractor
    Former Employee - Contractor

I worked at Academi part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company mission: Academi has a great mission, supporting the security efforts of the US government overseas
    The people supporting that mission are passionate about what they do and talented
    The company facility is incredible

Cons

Company leadership has limited business expertise, but believe they know the business better than 7 years veteran employees
    Not a collaborative environment or learning company
    While the facility is incredible, it is aging and in need of repair

Great pay.

I worked at Academi full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Leadership has great vision. Good benefits and great pay.

Cons

Lots of hours away from the family and high work load.

This company does not care about their employees.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Academi

Pros

Good company if you are looking to get experience in this industry. Pay is decent if you get it when you are hired.

Cons

There are limited opportunities for advancement if you are not former military which is sad because most of the functions rely on commercial processes. No pay/merit increases for employees in over 4 years.

Management should assess the balance or lack thereof of military versus commercial backgrounds of their employees. This is not the military and the processes and compliance requirements are very different.

Government Contractor Review

Current Employee - Independent Contractor in Moyock, NC
    Current Employee - Independent Contractor in Moyock, NC

I have been working at Academi as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Pay is ok considering the draw down in contractors..Get to see the world.

Cons

Quality history, but has issues at mid-level management. Shame really as this company has a solid history behind its name.

Learn how to manage and see bigger picture instead of only listening only to one source of information. Historically, this has been a problem for Academi.

Not sure why I ever accepted the offer...

Current Employee - Manager in Moyock, NC
    Current Employee - Manager in Moyock, NC

I have been working at Academi full-time (more than an year)

Pros

What they do to maintain security throughout the world is unmatched. Pay is good. Great on-site perks.

Cons

Lack of knowledgeable leadership, Reactive in most situations, Too many layoffs in the company's history, No accountability, HR leadership is the worst I've ever experienced.

There are still too many of the wrong people in leadership roles. Many of the staff are uneducated and unprofessional; not the right fit to carry out a new strategic vision. While there are many people that work hard and genuinely want the company to succeed, they are not in the right positions to do so. Being qualified and educated usually leads you right out of the door and the same old people are left to continue to run the company in the ground. No matter the amount of money, I would never work here again nor recommend anyone here. When I came to work at Academi, I honestly thought things had improved from years back, sadly, I was wrong.The culture needs to be overhauled and better, more knowledgeable leaders at all levels need to be introduced into the organization.

Please Hire Some MBAs!

Current Employee - Administrative in Moyock, NC
    Current Employee - Administrative in Moyock, NC

I have been working at Academi full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome, passionate, dedicated folks at the instructor, overseas, and PSS level. Whether they are providing security services or training Government or Law Enforcement or civilians they never forget that what they do could mean the difference between life and death. Knowing that you are supporting those professionals means knowing you are helping your country. And the Moyock area is a nice place to raise a family.

Cons

Moyock managers are hired or promoted for their Subject Matter experience or background but they have absolutely no idea how to run a business or a department. Too many people brought on board with impressive military/security/law enforcement backgrounds who can toss acronyms around effortlessly but they don't actually have any experience doing what they're hired to do. So they get by on bravado and background while things get worse and worse until they get "laid off" for not succeeding. They don't know the basics of managing staff, developing budgets, financial reporting, allocating resources, working with other departments, organizing workloads, assigning responsibilities, solving problems. They just know how to do what they're told and how to tell someone else what to do. There's a revolving door of ideas, projects, initiatives that get dropped when the person whose idea it was gets laid off and someone new shows up with a new idea. Honestly, there are a lot of managers and directors here that I have no idea what they do but they do have a lot of authority to make demands. And I know I never saw their jobs advertised so they're either consultants or someone's good buddy.

Hire some people with 10+ years of private sector management experience in a company with a similar size. Hire an MBA or two, even if they don't have military background. The CEO is now Craig Nixon, and he seems like a nice man and has the right ideas, but he needs to spend a good 3 months on TDY in Moyock, not in Arlington, not on a teleconferencing screen like the Wizard of Oz, working elbow to elbow with us 5 days a week if he wants to really turn things around.

Outstanding group to work with and for.

Former Employee - PSS
    Former Employee - PSS

I worked at Academi as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent people, pay, and accommodations while deployed. Flights in and out of country were provided for and the admin in country was much better than other PMC's.

Cons

Middle management and admin/recruiters in Moyock were too far removed from the day-to-day operations of the ICs overseas. Recruiters specifically have trouble understanding and interpreting the military/PSS lingo.

Security professional

I worked at Academi full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The only pro is that this place was close to my residence.

Cons

Management doesn't care about employees/contractors. It's all about the company/program and nothing else matters.

Understand that there is more to life than 'the program'. We have family's and other personal obligations that take priority over your schedule. An emergency on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine. Also, there are many within the program who have the education, skills, and ability to be contributors to the management of the program, but you refuse to take advantage of this and continually promote your buddy to a position that is beyond his capabilities. The result is failure. Take more pride in your employees/contractors and see what happens.