Academic Advantage

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mark Brokhim

Pros:
  • "High pay rate for working with students 1-2 hours a day"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Good pay, choose your own hours, decide how much you make a month"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is also a lot of paperwork to do"
    in 5 reviews
  • "I would recommend another tutoring company such as Varsity tutors"
    in 16 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A learning experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat cause to work toward.

ConsFast paced environment

find another tutoring company

Paramount, CA

ProsI guess the only pro would be that you can make a difference in the lives of children in our community.

Consunorganized, poor communication, low compensation, long training. I had my phone interview and then heard nothing for 2 weeks in which I decided to call them. They had apparently lost my information. I then scheduled the in-person orientation which is like 4 hours long. I did not learn anything. It has been over a month since the in person orientation and I have not heard anything. I submitted everything they asked for and gave them my credit card information for the fingerprinting. I call and they don't return my calls. I would recommend another tutoring company such as Varsity tutors. This one is not legitimate in my opinion.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would restructure the whole system. It needs an overhaul. Better training to include computers. Less paperwork or better compensation. Very poorly run program.

One big mistake to work for this company

Lancaster, CA

ProsMay be good for newly college graduates. Looks good on resume.

ConsPays the tutor peanut, other company pays more than Academic Advantage ($22/hr vs $16, and I must pay my own taxes, other company that I am working for pays my taxes.) A load of paperwork which has to be sent on time and you must communicate through the tutor portal every week, otherwise, a 10% will be deducted from your paycheck. They expect too much from the tutors. If you have trouble login or questions good luck getting hold of your PC. I don't know about other PC, but at least my PC either she ignors you or will return the call few days after the fact. I would definitely NOT recommend someone to work for this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay the tutor more and pay their taxes if you expect more from your tutors. Other company have less requirement and pays more than Academic Advantage.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrendous

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNone. I can't think of any pros.

ConsYou buy all that you need for tutoring. Even though they are tax deductible, it's a hassle. The whole agency is unorganized.

They did not send me my Form 1099 for my taxes.

They don't screen their tutors. They say they pay $17 an hour--that is a lie. Tutors are in no way protected.

A load of paperwork which has to be sent on time even though the agency itself is always late with payments.

Advice to Senior ManagementOrganize.

I'd rather collect unemployment

Los Angeles, CA

ProsAppreciative parents and children who want to learn

ConsPaperwork disappeared
    Tablets were low quality
    Communication to management was terrible
    Mislead parents
    Have yet to receive any tax forms from them although the operator says they were mailed out on January 31st. Keep in mind its now after valentines day...
    Wish me luck on filing my taxes.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove on communication, invoice and payment department clearly needs more employees

Much needed 2nd job

Reedley, CA

ProsThis is a great 2nd job because you select the hours you can tutor. Once you finish a student they typically have additional students available for you if you want them, so this part-time gig can last anywhere from 3-9 months. At $17 and hour there aren’t a lot of other part-time positions that pay this and also offer the flexibility this job provides.

ConsIt is part time but the schedule is normally after school, which is 3-8pm. I normally end my tutoring days around 7pm. It's okay but I do like my night schedule to stay open. Some families prefer weekends and it's normally EARLY...around 8am...

Good for retirees

Rancho Cordova, CA

ProsI’m retired and need to supplement my monthly income. $17 an hour definitely helps out and working part-time evenings and weekends still allows me to enjoy me retirement time. The company training is long to sit through, but is detailed and covers a lot of material. Taking your time when completing paperwork is essential. I’m likely to tutor every year until I can’t physically do it any longer. I enjoy it and the company is good to work for.

ConsThe paperwork is extremely tedious. Once in a while I call in to have a representative assist me in filling out the paperwork. The representatives are patient with me and answer my questions very thoroughly.

Getting the word out

Filed Representative (Former Employee)
    Riverside, CA

ProsDuring the hot days in Riverside I really wish I had an office job, but I really enjoy working with families and informing them of this free service tutoring. Parents that qualify need to enroll their kids in this program.

ConsWork is mainly in the summer/early fall...the weather in my region gets really, really hot. Since this isn't an office job there's a lot of standing and walking around. stay hydrated.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe give us hand held fans? or having a partner to work with.

Good for extra money

Moreno Valley, CA

ProsI recently picked up tutoring to make some extra money on the side. When I first started with this company I was a little overwhelming with all the paperwork. I ended up working as an English tutor and it hasn't been as bad as I thought it was going to be or what I read online.

ConsThere is a lot of paperwork, but once you’ve done it once or twice you get the gist of it. By the second month the paperwork was no longer an issue.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess paperwork - it's too much and can be overwhelming

Good training for the outside world

Representative (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsThey hired me when I really needed a job. A friend of mine referred me to this company. Training was quick and easy to follow. I had the opportunity to meet new friends and worked well with my supervisors. They listened to the suggestions we had during meetings and gave the info to the higher ups.

ConsPay day is every 15 days - not every other friday. The nearest bathroom gets crowded but i normally go to a different floor.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe bathroom situation isn't the company's fault. Maybe provide fans in different work places...sometimes it gets stuffy.

Worked for Academic Advantage? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Academic Advantage reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Academic Advantage CEO Mark Brokhim. All 82 reviews posted anonymously by Academic Advantage employees.