Academic Advantage

Mark Brokhim

37 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Enjoyable work, poor company

Los Angeles, CA

ProsLoved teaching children (grades from kindergarten to 12), enjoyed the actual tutoring sessions which were however you made them, parents were often very casual and lenient, as well as extremely hospitable, and pay was pretty good, especially during the final two weeks when students are being rushed through the curriculum so they can finish.

ConsThe company is ridiculously incompetent, employee support is nonexistent, paperwork is tedious and must be completed with 100% accuracy or your pay will be withheld until corrections are made, their policies change frequently and are not always explained well or updated on paper, the curriculum administration methods are terrible, you aren't allowed to help the students with homework, which is never what the parents want to hear, and other parents are more interested in the free laptop at the conclusion of the tutoring.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you're going to expect employees to be bureaucratic incompetents, at least make sure your policy is adequately written.

Independent Contracted Tutor

Independent Contractor Tutor (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsI like the flexibility. The students are great. They do give you your own laptop. The updated to a time portal which is a lot easier to keep track of your hours. If you do need experience working with children, this is a great job. If you want to be an educator, this is a good experience. It also is helpful if you need extra income.

ConsThere is no growth. It takes a while to get students after waiting months from orientation. There is no gas reimbursement. The hours aren't steady. There is also a lot of paperwork to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should be paying us for the 4-5 hour training.

I'd rather collect unemployment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsAppreciative parents and children who want to learn

ConsPaperwork disappeared
    Tablets were low quality
    Communication to management was terrible
    Mislead parents
    Have yet to receive any tax forms from them although the operator says they were mailed out on January 31st. Keep in mind its now after valentines day...
    Wish me luck on filing my taxes.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove on communication, invoice and payment department clearly needs more employees

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good training for the outside world

Representative (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsThey hired me when I really needed a job. A friend of mine referred me to this company. Training was quick and easy to follow. I had the opportunity to meet new friends and worked well with my supervisors. They listened to the suggestions we had during meetings and gave the info to the higher ups.

ConsPay day is every 15 days - not every other friday. The nearest bathroom gets crowded but i normally go to a different floor.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe bathroom situation isn't the company's fault. Maybe provide fans in different work places...sometimes it gets stuffy.

Tutor

Los Angeles, CA

ProsMileage and other expenses can be tax deductible
    When a student completes the computer based tutoring, they may be able to receive a free tablet.

Cons1099 Independent Contractor
    Anytime spent filling out paperwork is unpaid
    Paid 1 time per month
    Paychecks are dependent on your paperwork being filled out and filed at a certain time via snail mail.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen is the last time that you went through and listened to the process of what the little people need to go through?

Shaky and Flakey

Pros* Flexible working hours
    * Feeling of satisfaction of educating kids
    * Like working with children one on one
    * Attractive moms

Cons* Layers of b.s. in management
    * Lousy communication between management and tutors
    * Bureaucratic to the hilt
    * Fixated on forms, not people

Advice to Senior Management* Reexamine why you're doing what you're doing
    * Tutor once a year to remind yourselves why you're doing what you're doing
    * Offer benefits after a certain period of time
    * Offer reward and bonus systems. I'll bet YOU get bonuses. Why don't the tutors get any?

"Move on and DON'T LOOK BACK"

Employee (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

Pros-it's a job
    -the people are great (the common people, not the upper management)
    -it's a job

Cons-the CEO treats employees as slave labor
    -the CFO does the same
    -the office suite is not to code
    -there are toxic hazards in the suite (i seem to be getting sick more often since i've been here)
    -the owners of the company cuts too many corners in all aspects of business
    -the work environment is very hostile
    -there has been scandals upon scandals with this workplace
    -the company has alot of vendors that won't deal with them because the company has a lot of bills that they have not paid.
    -they dont even have a water budget for a water cooler (yet the CFO and CEO have their own personal stock of water bottles delivered to them AND THEY REFUSE TO SHARE)
    -they serve free snacks, however, snacks taste like they have been ion storage for years
    -upper management makes alot of bad decisions
    -there is no real work morale around this place
    -employees overall dont care about their jobs which results to poor performance
    -VERY HIGH turnover rate. i see new faces everyday.
    -office rules change too often that employees dont know what is official or not

Advice to Senior Management-stop being so cheap
    -treat your employees with respect
    -bring your office suite up to code
    -value your employees as people and not just a expendable resource

Tutor

Los Angeles, CA

ProsYou have the ability to work on your time. Inaddition with kids that want to learn

ConsThere was a lot of paperwork.

Advice to Senior ManagementClearer communication with parents in regards to policy.

Otherwise a shady company

Los Angeles, CA

ProsYou can set your own hours, and it's pretty convenient for a college student. The pay is good only if you can fit enough students to make good money. You have to file as "Self-employed"when you do your taxes. I don't know if that's a good thing...

ConsIt's a pretty shady company. They dodges your calls and play phone tag with you evey chanc they get. They charged me $88 for the "background check" to my personal account, even though they took it out of my first paycheck. Don't think it's an easy la dee dah job because kids learn at different paces. And once the orientation is over, you're on your own. You should also kow that the "In-Home" tutoring is in some pretty sketchy neighborhoods, so if anything happens to your car they're not liable.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you're going to be so rediculously nit-picky about the paperwork they you should probably give the tutors a little more training so they get it right the first time.

Kids were great, paperwork was tedious

ProsFlexible hours
    The Kids
    Pay was so-so
    The lack of invasive oversight

ConsThe pay was so-so, not great
    The unpaid time spent doing paper
    The rigid lesson plans that didn't necessarily help the kids
    No compensation for travel
    Did not educate me about tax expectations for independent contractors

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on results-based performance than paperwork benchmarks.
    Provide way more information to tutors about the tax expectations for independent contractors.

Worked for Academic Advantage? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Academic Advantage reviews and ratings in Los Angeles, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Academic Advantage CEO Mark Brokhim. All 37 reviews posted anonymously by Academic Advantage employees.