Academic Advantage

Updated November 5, 2014
Updated November 5, 2014
2.6

Mark Brokhim

Pros
  • Good pay, choose your own hours, decide how much you make a month (in 5 reviews)

• If you do need experience working with children, this is a great job (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • There is also a lot of paperwork to do (in 5 reviews)

• The paper work is tedious, but I was familiar with it from other tutoring jobs (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

39 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Enjoyable work, poor company

I worked at Academic Advantage part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Loved teaching children (grades from kindergarten to 12), enjoyed the actual tutoring sessions which were however you made them, parents were often very casual and lenient, as well as extremely hospitable, and pay was pretty good, especially during the final two weeks when students are being rushed through the curriculum so they can finish.

Cons

The company is ridiculously incompetent, employee support is nonexistent, paperwork is tedious and must be completed with 100% accuracy or your pay will be withheld until corrections are made, their policies change frequently and are not always explained well or updated on paper, the curriculum administration methods are terrible, you aren't allowed to help the students with homework, which is never what the parents want to hear, and other parents are more interested in the free laptop at the conclusion of the tutoring.

If you're going to expect employees to be bureaucratic incompetents, at least make sure your policy is adequately written.

Unethical and incompetent; what are you thinking?

I worked at Academic Advantage part-time (less than an year)

Pros

None whatever that I experienced. A complete waste of my time and money.

Cons

I am a former Tutor for Academic Advantage in Los Angeles – early 2014

As a longtime tutor, I have never seen a more unethical company. Long unpaid training, ridiculously complicated paperwork for starters.

Then tutors are used to "recruit" students that are not interested in tutoring- clearly, they just got a list of potential students. This is all unpaid, and involves driving to their houses.

At their pay rate (which is low) they owe me: $450 at least. I quit almost immediately.

Utter disorganization - nobody's in charge, nobody returns phone calls. I was offered another, actually paid, position recruiting students. I jumped through all hoops, and no call back, no e-mail, and now no message machine and no website.

Utterly dishonest, inept company. I would say anything positive listed here is a plant. I'm quite certain they do that.

There's a class action lawsuit going on. IF YOU WORKED FOR THEM SINCE 2006 IN L.A. YOU CAN SIGN UP...EASILY AVAILABLE ONLINE

Let's see this company experience some consequences.

Utterly dishonest and incompetent

If you just want to pay bills, work here.

Former Employee - SLP Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - SLP Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Academic Advantage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I'm trying to think of a pro...and nothing comes to mind. I guess my immediate supervisor was nice, and they do take the time out to celebrate birthdays and holidays whenever they come up.

Cons

Cliquey office culture, revolving door of employees, no opportunities for advancement within one's role, unclear chain of command (I didn't even know who my supervisor's boss would have been).
    Misleading hiring bulletins: The job I applied for was advertised in a way that led me to believe that it was a role with many responsibilities, which would be compensated at a much higher level than what was ultimately offered. I only took the job because I needed the money at the time. I tried to make the most of it, but I got laid off after getting laid off for having done what should have been advertised as a temporary contract position.

Independent Contracted Tutor

Current Employee - Independent Contractor Tutor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Independent Contractor Tutor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Academic Advantage as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

I like the flexibility. The students are great. They do give you your own laptop. The updated to a time portal which is a lot easier to keep track of your hours. If you do need experience working with children, this is a great job. If you want to be an educator, this is a good experience. It also is helpful if you need extra income.

Cons

There is no growth. It takes a while to get students after waiting months from orientation. There is no gas reimbursement. The hours aren't steady. There is also a lot of paperwork to do.

They should be paying us for the 4-5 hour training.

I'd rather collect unemployment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Academic Advantage as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Appreciative parents and children who want to learn

Cons

Paperwork disappeared
    Tablets were low quality
    Communication to management was terrible
    Mislead parents
    Have yet to receive any tax forms from them although the operator says they were mailed out on January 31st. Keep in mind its now after valentines day...
    Wish me luck on filing my taxes.

Improve on communication, invoice and payment department clearly needs more employees

Good training for the outside world

Former Employee - Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Academic Advantage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They hired me when I really needed a job. A friend of mine referred me to this company. Training was quick and easy to follow. I had the opportunity to meet new friends and worked well with my supervisors. They listened to the suggestions we had during meetings and gave the info to the higher ups.

Cons

Pay day is every 15 days - not every other friday. The nearest bathroom gets crowded but i normally go to a different floor.

The bathroom situation isn't the company's fault. Maybe provide fans in different work places...sometimes it gets stuffy.

Tutor

I have been working at Academic Advantage as a contractor

Pros

Mileage and other expenses can be tax deductible
    When a student completes the computer based tutoring, they may be able to receive a free tablet.

Cons

1099 Independent Contractor
    Anytime spent filling out paperwork is unpaid
    Paid 1 time per month
    Paychecks are dependent on your paperwork being filled out and filed at a certain time via snail mail.

When is the last time that you went through and listened to the process of what the little people need to go through?

Shaky and Flakey

Current Employee - NCLB Tutor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Academic Advantage as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

* Flexible working hours
    * Feeling of satisfaction of educating kids
    * Like working with children one on one
    * Attractive moms

Cons

* Layers of b.s. in management
    * Lousy communication between management and tutors
    * Bureaucratic to the hilt
    * Fixated on forms, not people

* Reexamine why you're doing what you're doing
    * Tutor once a year to remind yourselves why you're doing what you're doing
    * Offer benefits after a certain period of time
    * Offer reward and bonus systems. I'll bet YOU get bonuses. Why don't the tutors get any?

"Move on and DON'T LOOK BACK"

Current Employee - Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Academic Advantage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-it's a job
    -the people are great (the common people, not the upper management)
    -it's a job

Cons

-the CEO treats employees as slave labor
    -the CFO does the same
    -the office suite is not to code
    -there are toxic hazards in the suite (i seem to be getting sick more often since i've been here)
    -the owners of the company cuts too many corners in all aspects of business
    -the work environment is very hostile
    -there has been scandals upon scandals with this workplace
    -the company has alot of vendors that won't deal with them because the company has a lot of bills that they have not paid.
    -they dont even have a water budget for a water cooler (yet the CFO and CEO have their own personal stock of water bottles delivered to them AND THEY REFUSE TO SHARE)
    -they serve free snacks, however, snacks taste like they have been ion storage for years
    -upper management makes alot of bad decisions
    -there is no real work morale around this place
    -employees overall dont care about their jobs which results to poor performance
    -VERY HIGH turnover rate. i see new faces everyday.
    -office rules change too often that employees dont know what is official or not

-stop being so cheap
    -treat your employees with respect
    -bring your office suite up to code
    -value your employees as people and not just a expendable resource

Tutor

I worked at Academic Advantage part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You have the ability to work on your time. Inaddition with kids that want to learn

Cons

There was a lot of paperwork.

Clearer communication with parents in regards to policy.