Academic Advantage

Updated August 18, 2014
Updated August 18, 2014

2.6

Mark Brokhim

Pros
  • High pay rate for working with students 1-2 hours a day (in 5 reviews)

• Good pay, choose your own hours, decide how much you make a month (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • There is also a lot of paperwork to do (in 5 reviews)

• I would recommend another tutoring company such as Varsity tutors (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Tutor - Math and English Language Arts

Former Employee - Tutor - Math and English Language Arts
    Former Employee - Tutor - Math and English Language Arts

Pros

They have contracts with school districts to offer after school tutoring to students that need academic help. The program is well structured so there are guidelines to do it well. The online system of posting student test scores and reporting hours was good. During the 2013-1014 school year, they upgraded their system and it was even better. I was always able to reach my managers within the day and they responded to my emails with answers within the day. You are an independent contractor, so you set your tutoring hours with the students and their parents. The training resources were also good and you could easily refer to them if you had a question. I am used to working remotely, without much supervision, and am accountable. They give you the resources, the rules and what they promised. The pay was accurate and on time.

Cons

If your paperwork is incomplete or not sent in on deadline, there will be delays in your check. They contract with many school districts and this is a fairly big organization, so you've got to follow the rules. People complain about the paperwork, but everywhere I've ever worked has paperwork, and this is no different. You must organize yourself to be efficient, just as with any other project or job.

It would be great to have opportunities to tutor in the summer.

It felt empowering to work one on one with students, and confused because was not provided sufficient formal training.

Former Employee - Tutor  in  Compton, CA
    Former Employee - Tutor in Compton, CA

Pros

As a Tutor I enjoyed the flexibility with my school schedule at the time. In addition to the $17/hr I received as compensation.

Cons

The $17/hr only includes a limited amount of hours. Usually limited time because the company only allows a tutor 2hrs per student maximum per day. Within a time frame of 3p-9p.

Secondly, the work schedule is designed by the tutors by making mutual agreements with the parents, NOT by Academic Advantage.

Third, I recommend to really focus on your organization skills, plan ahead (even though you won't get paid for this), it will save you time, headaches, and any further confusion.

Lastly, tutors get paid once a month, and are required to fill out paperwork correctly, then submit it via mail or in person (if you're wanting to drive in LA traffic) within a few days of the first of the month. If it is late, the tutor will not get paid.

Please provide longer, more detailed, and hands on formal training to all tutors. Because, 2/hrs of just filling out paperwork and signing contracts in a office with a room full of other tutors & management is not sufficient.

I had a pretty good experience with this company.

Pros

They have great pay. The hours are very flexible. You pretty much make your own hours, so that is very convenient. The staff is pretty friendly. It is sometimes hard to get in contact with them, but we you finally do they are very helpful.

Cons

The company is very unorganized and it can sometimes become a headache. They hire you as a independent contractor, so you don't get any benefits and end up owing taxes at the end of the year if it's your only job. Paperwork is a huge hassle and if not done correctly they will withhold your pay, even for the smallest things.

Be more organized, less paperwork, give workers benefits

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Learning experience

Pros

Lot of opportunities for growth and expansion of skill sets

Cons

At times, there was not enough support from upper management

Bilingual Enrollment Representative in the Garden Grove area

Current Employee - Enrollment Representative  in  Garden Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Enrollment Representative in Garden Grove, CA

Pros

-$14/hr
    -Accepted students & worked around their schedule
    -M-F
    -You get to work with diverse groups of people
    -Spanish preferred

Cons

-Mileage not compensated
    -Get ready to knock on many doors (have a good pair of walking shoes & a smile on your face)
    -Training is brief (4 hours) and rushed
    -Inconsistent with length of employment was told it will be 1-2months. It lasted 2 weeks
    -There is a minimum of leads/signups required to do (this is discussed when hired)
    -Academic Advantage is getting sued (quick google search will provide more details)

Consider the importance of integrity. Thank you.

Highly unethical Business Practices

Former Employee - Tutor  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Tutor in San Diego, CA

Pros

The only positive factor I experienced while working for Academic Advantage is the relationship I developed with the students and their parents. It was great to feel that you had an opportunity to positively impact the students in aiding them to improve their performance in some small way.

Cons

Academic Advantage (1on1Laptops) has ongoing problems with its processes, procedures, and systems; or either just blatantly operates in unfair business practices with respect to tutors and students, especially when it comes to honoring its obligations to them under the agreements signed by parents and tutors. As a tutor, you will more than likely end up incurring more expenses than what you are paid. They don't tell tutors that you will end up submitting paperwork repeatedly because they claim they haven't receive it, or it has been lost. After reading some of the reviews about these problems, I would manually mail, email, and fax paperwork, and was still informed that they had not received my paperwork. They pay on a monthly basis, so if your paperwork is not received by the deadline, you have to wait another month in order to get paid. In addition, they assess a 10% penalty for late paperwork, so you end up "between a rock and a hard place".

Students are promised a tablet once they have completed the required hours of tutoring, but they are told they have to wait 90 days from the time that all paperwork has been processed. Unfortunately, once again because of inefficiencies with their processes, procedures, and systems, students are often told that they will not be receiving a tablet because they have not completed the required hours of tutoring, even though Academic Advantage has been paid by the school districts for providing those tutoring services to the students.

There have been numerous complaints filed against this organization. They have even had to pay out a settlement for fraud, for obtaining federal funds for tutoring services that were never provided. As a result both Academic Advantage and Learning with Laptops was ordered pay a total of $2,000,000 to the government. How they still remain as a creditable vendor under the "No Child Left Behind" program and how our tax payer dollars is used to fund organizations like this is totally baffling to me.

Not as great as they make it sound...

Former Employee - Tutor  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Tutor in San Diego, CA

Pros

I cannot think of anything positive to write for this company. I only stayed because I agreed to finish hours I already started with my students.

Cons

I had a slew of issues with the office in Los Angeles. The communication was bad, getting information pertaining to procedures was like pulling teeth! They assign you a "Completion Coordinator" when you start, someone who will be your go-to person....I got hired late in the school year and within two months I had 5 different CC's! I also had issues collecting my pay, my last paycheck took over 3 months for them to send. Also, the only reason the seem to have sent it to me was because I wrote them a strongly worded letter claiming that I would file a claim with the Labor Board and sue them if I was not compensated.

Worst tutoring company as of yet

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

Pros

The children were amazing, I loved working with them and most were very excited to learn.

Cons

The company is completely incompetent. Worst company I have ever worked with. Needing to Submit paperwork three times because one tiny thing was off is completely ridiculous. There is absoluetly no support for the tutors and the online websites that are "supposed" to help were useless. I will never be working with them ever again.

Employ competent individuals to review paperwork and keep payroll on track. I have never dealt with such a poorly coordinated company.

Enjoyable work, poor company

Former Employee - NCLB Tutor  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - NCLB Tutor in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Loved teaching children (grades from kindergarten to 12), enjoyed the actual tutoring sessions which were however you made them, parents were often very casual and lenient, as well as extremely hospitable, and pay was pretty good, especially during the final two weeks when students are being rushed through the curriculum so they can finish.

Cons

The company is ridiculously incompetent, employee support is nonexistent, paperwork is tedious and must be completed with 100% accuracy or your pay will be withheld until corrections are made, their policies change frequently and are not always explained well or updated on paper, the curriculum administration methods are terrible, you aren't allowed to help the students with homework, which is never what the parents want to hear, and other parents are more interested in the free laptop at the conclusion of the tutoring.

If you're going to expect employees to be bureaucratic incompetents, at least make sure your policy is adequately written.

I wish I had looked before I leaped.

Current Employee - Tutor  in  Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - Tutor in Anaheim, CA

Pros

For the most part, the children are wonderful.

Cons

Getting paid is a problem. When questioning management about why I received a partial payment, I was given an ambiguous answer that payment was pending. When I threatened to discontinue services, I was told that payment had been scheduled for release that day. It was not deposited to my account that day, and I have no idea when I will receive the pay.

You need to realize that your contractors need accurate paychecks.

Worked for Academic Advantage? Contribute to the Community!