Academic Advantage

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mark Brokhim

Pros
  • High pay rate for working with students 1-2 hours a day (in 5 reviews)

• Good pay, choose your own hours, decide how much you make a month (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • There is also a lot of paperwork to do (in 5 reviews)

• I would recommend another tutoring company such as Varsity tutors (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

I had a pretty good experience with this company.

ProsThey have great pay. The hours are very flexible. You pretty much make your own hours, so that is very convenient. The staff is pretty friendly. It is sometimes hard to get in contact with them, but we you finally do they are very helpful.

ConsThe company is very unorganized and it can sometimes become a headache. They hire you as a independent contractor, so you don't get any benefits and end up owing taxes at the end of the year if it's your only job. Paperwork is a huge hassle and if not done correctly they will withhold your pay, even for the smallest things.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more organized, less paperwork, give workers benefits

Learning experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLot of opportunities for growth and expansion of skill sets

ConsAt times, there was not enough support from upper management

Highly unethical Business Practices

Tutor (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe only positive factor I experienced while working for Academic Advantage is the relationship I developed with the students and their parents. It was great to feel that you had an opportunity to positively impact the students in aiding them to improve their performance in some small way.

ConsAcademic Advantage (1on1Laptops) has ongoing problems with its processes, procedures, and systems; or either just blatantly operates in unfair business practices with respect to tutors and students, especially when it comes to honoring its obligations to them under the agreements signed by parents and tutors. As a tutor, you will more than likely end up incurring more expenses than what you are paid. They don't tell tutors that you will end up submitting paperwork repeatedly because they claim they haven't receive it, or it has been lost. After reading some of the reviews about these problems, I would manually mail, email, and fax paperwork, and was still informed that they had not received my paperwork. They pay on a monthly basis, so if your paperwork is not received by the deadline, you have to wait another month in order to get paid. In addition, they assess a 10% penalty for late paperwork, so you end up "between a rock and a hard place".

Students are promised a tablet once they have completed the required hours of tutoring, but they are told they have to wait 90 days from the time that all paperwork has been processed. Unfortunately, once again because of inefficiencies with their processes, procedures, and systems, students are often told that they will not be receiving a tablet because they have not completed the required hours of tutoring, even though Academic Advantage has been paid by the school districts for providing those tutoring services to the students.

There have been numerous complaints filed against this organization. They have even had to pay out a settlement for fraud, for obtaining federal funds for tutoring services that were never provided. As a result both Academic Advantage and Learning with Laptops was ordered pay a total of $2,000,000 to the government. How they still remain as a creditable vendor under the "No Child Left Behind" program and how our tax payer dollars is used to fund organizations like this is totally baffling to me.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bilingual Enrollment Representative in the Garden Grove area

Enrollment Representative (Current Employee) Garden Grove, CA

Pros-$14/hr
    -Accepted students & worked around their schedule
    -M-F
    -You get to work with diverse groups of people
    -Spanish preferred

Cons-Mileage not compensated
    -Get ready to knock on many doors (have a good pair of walking shoes & a smile on your face)
    -Training is brief (4 hours) and rushed
    -Inconsistent with length of employment was told it will be 1-2months. It lasted 2 weeks
    -There is a minimum of leads/signups required to do (this is discussed when hired)
    -Academic Advantage is getting sued (quick google search will provide more details)

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider the importance of integrity. Thank you.

Not as great as they make it sound...

Tutor (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsI cannot think of anything positive to write for this company. I only stayed because I agreed to finish hours I already started with my students.

ConsI had a slew of issues with the office in Los Angeles. The communication was bad, getting information pertaining to procedures was like pulling teeth! They assign you a "Completion Coordinator" when you start, someone who will be your go-to person....I got hired late in the school year and within two months I had 5 different CC's! I also had issues collecting my pay, my last paycheck took over 3 months for them to send. Also, the only reason the seem to have sent it to me was because I wrote them a strongly worded letter claiming that I would file a claim with the Labor Board and sue them if I was not compensated.

Worst tutoring company as of yet

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsThe children were amazing, I loved working with them and most were very excited to learn.

ConsThe company is completely incompetent. Worst company I have ever worked with. Needing to Submit paperwork three times because one tiny thing was off is completely ridiculous. There is absoluetly no support for the tutors and the online websites that are "supposed" to help were useless. I will never be working with them ever again.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmploy competent individuals to review paperwork and keep payroll on track. I have never dealt with such a poorly coordinated company.

Enjoyable work, poor company

NCLB Tutor (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsLoved teaching children (grades from kindergarten to 12), enjoyed the actual tutoring sessions which were however you made them, parents were often very casual and lenient, as well as extremely hospitable, and pay was pretty good, especially during the final two weeks when students are being rushed through the curriculum so they can finish.

ConsThe company is ridiculously incompetent, employee support is nonexistent, paperwork is tedious and must be completed with 100% accuracy or your pay will be withheld until corrections are made, their policies change frequently and are not always explained well or updated on paper, the curriculum administration methods are terrible, you aren't allowed to help the students with homework, which is never what the parents want to hear, and other parents are more interested in the free laptop at the conclusion of the tutoring.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you're going to expect employees to be bureaucratic incompetents, at least make sure your policy is adequately written.

I wish I had looked before I leaped.

Tutor (Current Employee) Anaheim, CA

ProsFor the most part, the children are wonderful.

ConsGetting paid is a problem. When questioning management about why I received a partial payment, I was given an ambiguous answer that payment was pending. When I threatened to discontinue services, I was told that payment had been scheduled for release that day. It was not deposited to my account that day, and I have no idea when I will receive the pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to realize that your contractors need accurate paychecks.

Independent Contracted Tutor

Independent Contractor Tutor (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsI like the flexibility. The students are great. They do give you your own laptop. The updated to a time portal which is a lot easier to keep track of your hours. If you do need experience working with children, this is a great job. If you want to be an educator, this is a good experience. It also is helpful if you need extra income.

ConsThere is no growth. It takes a while to get students after waiting months from orientation. There is no gas reimbursement. The hours aren't steady. There is also a lot of paperwork to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should be paying us for the 4-5 hour training.

Enrollment Rep.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosthe duties werent that difficult.

ConsCompany lowered our pay due to budget cuts.

Advice to Senior ManagementAvoid imposing miscellaneous duties to enrollment reps that are not worthy.

Worked for Academic Advantage? Contribute to the Community!