Academic Advantage

Updated January 23, 2015
Updated January 23, 2015
2.6

Mark Brokhim

Pros
  • Good pay, choose your own hours, decide how much you make a month (in 5 reviews)

• If you do need experience working with children, this is a great job (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • There is also a lot of paperwork to do (in 5 reviews)

• The paper work is tedious, but I was familiar with it from other tutoring jobs (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Worst tutoring company as of yet

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Academic Advantage

Pros

The children were amazing, I loved working with them and most were very excited to learn.

Cons

The company is completely incompetent. Worst company I have ever worked with. Needing to Submit paperwork three times because one tiny thing was off is completely ridiculous. There is absoluetly no support for the tutors and the online websites that are "supposed" to help were useless. I will never be working with them ever again.

Employ competent individuals to review paperwork and keep payroll on track. I have never dealt with such a poorly coordinated company.

Bilingual Enrollment Representative in the Garden Grove area

Current Employee - Enrollment Representative in Garden Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Enrollment Representative in Garden Grove, CA

I have been working at Academic Advantage full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-$14/hr
    -Accepted students & worked around their schedule
    -M-F
    -You get to work with diverse groups of people
    -Spanish preferred

Cons

-Mileage not compensated
    -Get ready to knock on many doors (have a good pair of walking shoes & a smile on your face)
    -Training is brief (4 hours) and rushed
    -Inconsistent with length of employment was told it will be 1-2months. It lasted 2 weeks
    -There is a minimum of leads/signups required to do (this is discussed when hired)
    -Academic Advantage is getting sued (quick google search will provide more details)

Consider the importance of integrity. Thank you.

Not as great as they make it sound...

Former Employee - Tutor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Tutor in San Diego, CA

I worked at Academic Advantage as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I cannot think of anything positive to write for this company. I only stayed because I agreed to finish hours I already started with my students.

Cons

I had a slew of issues with the office in Los Angeles. The communication was bad, getting information pertaining to procedures was like pulling teeth! They assign you a "Completion Coordinator" when you start, someone who will be your go-to person....I got hired late in the school year and within two months I had 5 different CC's! I also had issues collecting my pay, my last paycheck took over 3 months for them to send. Also, the only reason the seem to have sent it to me was because I wrote them a strongly worded letter claiming that I would file a claim with the Labor Board and sue them if I was not compensated.

Enjoyable work, poor company

Former Employee - NCLB Tutor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - NCLB Tutor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Academic Advantage part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Loved teaching children (grades from kindergarten to 12), enjoyed the actual tutoring sessions which were however you made them, parents were often very casual and lenient, as well as extremely hospitable, and pay was pretty good, especially during the final two weeks when students are being rushed through the curriculum so they can finish.

Cons

The company is ridiculously incompetent, employee support is nonexistent, paperwork is tedious and must be completed with 100% accuracy or your pay will be withheld until corrections are made, their policies change frequently and are not always explained well or updated on paper, the curriculum administration methods are terrible, you aren't allowed to help the students with homework, which is never what the parents want to hear, and other parents are more interested in the free laptop at the conclusion of the tutoring.

If you're going to expect employees to be bureaucratic incompetents, at least make sure your policy is adequately written.

I wish I had looked before I leaped.

Current Employee - Tutor in Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - Tutor in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at Academic Advantage part-time (less than a year)

Pros

For the most part, the children are wonderful.

Cons

Getting paid is a problem. When questioning management about why I received a partial payment, I was given an ambiguous answer that payment was pending. When I threatened to discontinue services, I was told that payment had been scheduled for release that day. It was not deposited to my account that day, and I have no idea when I will receive the pay.

You need to realize that your contractors need accurate paychecks.

Independent Contracted Tutor

Current Employee - Independent Contractor Tutor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Independent Contractor Tutor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Academic Advantage as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

I like the flexibility. The students are great. They do give you your own laptop. The updated to a time portal which is a lot easier to keep track of your hours. If you do need experience working with children, this is a great job. If you want to be an educator, this is a good experience. It also is helpful if you need extra income.

Cons

There is no growth. It takes a while to get students after waiting months from orientation. There is no gas reimbursement. The hours aren't steady. There is also a lot of paperwork to do.

They should be paying us for the 4-5 hour training.

Enrollment Rep.

I worked at Academic Advantage

Pros

the duties werent that difficult.

Cons

Company lowered our pay due to budget cuts.

Avoid imposing miscellaneous duties to enrollment reps that are not worthy.

I didn't enjoy tutoring English, wish I did Math

I have been working at Academic Advantage

Pros

Good pay, choose your own hours, decide how much you make a month

Cons

Your only work like 3-5 month out of the year, representative sometimes don't answer emails or calls for WEEKS, LOTS of paperwork

A learning experience

I worked at Academic Advantage full-time

Pros

Great cause to work toward.

Cons

Fast paced environment

find another tutoring company

Current Employee - Tutor in Paramount, CA
    Current Employee - Tutor in Paramount, CA

I have been working at Academic Advantage part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I guess the only pro would be that you can make a difference in the lives of children in our community.

Cons

unorganized, poor communication, low compensation, long training. I had my phone interview and then heard nothing for 2 weeks in which I decided to call them. They had apparently lost my information. I then scheduled the in-person orientation which is like 4 hours long. I did not learn anything. It has been over a month since the in person orientation and I have not heard anything. I submitted everything they asked for and gave them my credit card information for the fingerprinting. I call and they don't return my calls. I would recommend another tutoring company such as Varsity tutors. This one is not legitimate in my opinion.

I would restructure the whole system. It needs an overhaul. Better training to include computers. Less paperwork or better compensation. Very poorly run program.