Academic Impressions

Employment Status

Reset
3.6
Amit Mrig

Most engaging work environment; excellent benefits

Current Employee - Director of Research and Publications in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Director of Research and Publications in Denver, CO

I have been working at Academic Impressions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It has been fascinating reading the other reviews here on Glassdoor; they are prevailingly positive, with a few exceptions, and my impression is that the handful of scathing reviews tell me a lot more about the reviewers than they tell me about the organization or its team. I love working here. I've been with AI just under 8 years, and I have seen a lot of change and a lot of growth in that time. Prior to AI, I worked in a variety of corporate and higher-ed positions, and none of them were either as well-compensated or as fulfilling as this one. In many ways, AI brings together many of the best traits of both the for-profit and the non-profit world, combining a focus on ROI, productivity, and practical outcomes with a deep-seated sense of mission and a deep commitment to the staff. Pros: - Work that matters. Every week, I hear about the positive impact our events have on their participants and their institutions. - Competitive compensation. - Extremely competitive benefits, better than anything I've seen offered at other small companies or even many large companies; as a father of two, this really matters to me. - A collegial team that is passionate about what they do, with a high degree of trust; granted, we're always working to iron out cross-team collaboration ("collaboration" is a pretty word, but making it real and making it count is an ongoing process). But when a colleague recently said, "There isn't anyone here who I wouldn't have a beer with after work," that summed up what I felt, too. I've worked in low-trust environments. This is a pretty high-trust environment. - Leaders who are deeply invested in their people. When I had a long-term medical crisis to deal with, involving one of my children, I felt at every step of the way that my supervisor had my back. My peers did, too. I was supported with the time off that I needed, with meals, with help, and with a very real sense that everyone here cared about me as a person and as a valuable member of the organization, not just as an absent "worker." After that, I appreciate our benefits package a lot more than I used to, too. I also feel that the leadership here is invested in my professional development, and our conversations always include a forthright discussion of work/life balance, which as a father, I especially appreciate. - An entrepreneurial culture: if you have an idea, and you can demonstrate its potential, you don't have to go through a lot of red tape to act on it; you can pull together a few colleagues, and you'll be supported in trying it. - High performance is encouraged, inspired, and amply rewarded. This is a time when AI is really defining how it is going to serve our industry in the next 5-10 years, and we're moving very quickly. If you work here, you need to be someone who can adapt, someone flexible enough to try things, look at the results, and adjust accordingly. That's an energy you have to bring to the job. But you'll be supported, encouraged, and your successes will be celebrated. That has been my experience.

Cons

The work can get a little busy; our industry is changing, and we're changing with it. That means adapting to new initiatives and new ways of doing what we do. The pro is that our team is very solid and committed (and effective); the con is that we do have some weeks right now that can get a little intense. We each feel a lot of ownership for the projects that are underway, and the leadership team is pro-actively working to support us. I'm actually not convinced that the intensity really *is* a con; it is a circumstance and a challenge. If an AI career is going to work for you -- if you're going to thrive here -- you have to have good time management skills, and you have to be someone who takes real ownership of their work -- meaning: if something isn't working for you, you regard it as your job to change it, though others will support and aid you in doing that. If the workload is getting intense, you step back and take the time to figure out what you can reasonably stop doing. The leadership team here will support you in that. This job really differs from many I've known in the level of ownership over your work that is both expected and encouraged. In all honesty, I think that if I didn't put something in this "con" box, no one would take the review seriously. But I see what I described above as a challenge, not a con. I really like it here.

High turnover, Low morale and support.

I have been working at Academic Impressions full-time

Pros

Hmmmm......It gets me out of bed every day and a paycheck.

Cons

Too much demand and deadlines. Always stressed about money. Here we are again looking for the same positions to be filled. Don't work here unless your unemployment has run out, and be sure to put on your fake happy face every day like the executives do. The staff is so cliquey and dysfunctional, gossipy and rude. They asked the staff to go onto Glassdoor and write raving reviews. Really?

Advice to Management

They need to seek outside help to get their staff happy again and I'm not talking about knowing how to work well with others. The executives need counseling from prominent, successful executive on how to run a business.

Academic Impressions is a great company to work for!

Current Employee - Marketing in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Marketing in Denver, CO

I have been working at Academic Impressions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoy working with competent, committed, competitive co-workers at every level. It makes going to work everyday a joy. Because it's a small company, there are a lot of opportunities to get your feet wet with different projects. This is an aspect of the job that I appreciate because I've been able to learn a lot of different skills. During my tenure I have learned a lot about team-building skills, the higher-ed industry, and I have been exposed to other disciplines that I had little interest in prior to Academic Impressions. Management is very supportive and committed to the success of the employees. Everyone is very approachable and easy to get along with. The work environment is laid back and the salaries and benefits are competitive. I also enjoy the beer drinking and impromptu happy hours at the office.

Cons

Every employee typically has to wear multiple hats because there are so many initiatives going on at once. At times, it can get overwhelming. There really aren't any other cons I can think of about my Academic Impressions' experience. I think it’s an excellent company.

Advice to Management

I'm thrilled we finally have the right people on the bus. Make sure we continue that! Transparent communication is great, keep it up!

5. I've been given an amazing opportunity to grow and succeed at Academic Impressions.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Academic Impressions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Great benefits package - I couldn't ask for better co-workers - Challenging and stimulating work - Opportunities to take on new tasks exist and I've been rewarded through promotion - Professional development is encouraged - I'm continually learning new things about higher ed and marketing - The product and services are high quality and I believe they can make a difference - Senior management really cares about its employees - Management is not afraid to try new things and is open to suggestions - The beer cart - I like the small company feel - I feel like I work hard, but so does everyone else - Flexible schedule - Sometimes can work from home - Did I mention that the people here are the best?

Cons

- Company culture can be dry at times - Work can be very demanding in and out of normal hours - A small company that is sometimes limited in resources

Great place to be if you are interested in the future higher ed

Current Employee - Assistant Conference Director in Denver, CO

I have been working at Academic Impressions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a strong commitment to creating quality programs and making an impact in the industry. The model allows for me to work in a field I am interested in, continually gaining a better understanding of all factions of higher ed. The job provides a good mix of structure and autonomy in day to day activities. Leadership is approachable, supportive and easy to follow.

Cons

Certain aspects of collaborating within higher ed can make the job arduous and sometimes frustrating. There are other internal challenges that have come up but all these issues are in the open and being addressed by management and employees alike.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide the support and resources that will allow the company to reach high expectations.

I've thoroughly enjoyed my time at AI.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Academic Impressions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Having come from working at a large, bureaucratic university, working for a small change-driven organization is refreshing. I am inspired by the work we do in having a positive impact on the landscape of higher-ed. The people that work here are intelligent, motivated, hard-working and, pretty fun to be around.

Cons

Because it’s a small, privately-held and nimble company, there can be a tendency to become excited and try several new ideas/initiatives at once. This can cause confusion on priorities, as well as difficulty in measuring success.

Advice to Management

While there have been strides made in these efforts, keep acknowledging employees' successes and providing opportunities for upward mobility.

Do Not Work Here

Former Employee - Conference Director in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Conference Director in Denver, CO

I worked at Academic Impressions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For someone coming from non-profit higher ed, the pay is good. However, the pay is not anything to brag about if you are in the for-profit education sector.

Cons

This is the worst place to work that I can think of. In a recently developed video to promote hiring, the message is - autonomy, everyone loves everyone, and you get to have a ton of fun doing things like throwing corn hole. This is completely opposite of the truth. Yes, there is a beer day, yes, there is a branded AI corn hole game, yes, the boss does promote wellness by sponsoring boot camps and other things, yes, there is a Christmas party where everyone gets drunk, but these are all surface efforts. When you dig deeper, you learn that you cannot go into a meeting and be able to predict whether it will go well or if you will be yelled at and chastised. Everyone at the company is afraid to point to the real causes of employee dissatisfaction because if they do, they would be fired. So, instead, they leave. The turnover rate is extremely high. While I was there (which was not very long), many people came and went. There are several people within the organization that are completely toxic and/or socially awkward and these are the people that seem to get bonuses, raises, promotions, and power. There is no defined bonus structure, it is very much just happenstance of how the boss feels about you, so if you are liked, bonus, but if not sorry. Also, negative (but appropriate) reviews have been removed from Glass Door..if that doesn't speak volumes, I don't know what does.

Advice to Management

Learn how to manage and follow through with the cultural shifts you want to make by shifting yourselves.

Challenge, support, autonomy, and collaboration all in one!

Current Employee - Assistant Conference Director in Denver, CO

I have been working at Academic Impressions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am surrounded by a group of intelligent professionals who are truly passionate about supporting higher education and work fervently to accomplish this common purpose. Although we work hard, it's the best company culture I have ever experienced and management is truly supportive and committed to ensuring employees enjoy their work and time outside the office as well. If you're you're looking to learn and grow as a professional with the ability to be authentic at work (the casual dress code is nice!), this is the place for you.

Cons

We keep busy and sometimes adherence to multiple processes can be difficult to navigate. You HAVE to be able to manage your time well or you won't get much accomplished, and with that you HAVE to be adaptable to last-minute changes in the processes.

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparent communication - we like that every voice matters! Also, hire more people on all teams to make the workload more manageable as we grow in the future.

Sterile Environment, high turnover, absolutely shady practices

I worked at Academic Impressions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Salary is slightly above average for the position I held - Holiday party was pretty impressive - free parking

Cons

- Sterile (think Office Space) work environment - The owner/CEO does not care about you. He's very full of himself and walks around the office likes he's god's gift from heaven. - Lot's of pressure to make money. More conferences/webcasts = more money - High turnover rate. Look at their employment section on their website!! They always have the same open positions. It's because people come in for 6 months and then get fired or quit. - Make you work on holidays. Christmas eve, really?!?!?! - No room for creativity. It's either their way or the highway - The CFO is a joke. He's the owners best buddy. - Seniority rules: If you've worked there for several years, brought in lots of $$$$ for the company, the owner gives you a little slack and picks you as a favorite. - Expectations are unrealistic. -

Advice to Management

Give your employees a little more freedom and trust in them. Create a more vibrant and exciting environment. Stop hiding secrets and be more open to your employees.

Academic Impressions Response

Jan 14, 2014

Academic Impressions is a dynamic and fast-paced organization. We are a people-driven organization; we have high expectations for our team members--- both in terms of work performance and ... More

11. UGHUGH

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Academic Impressions full-time

Pros

Good DTC location and nice office. Covered parking.

Cons

Owner very closed minded. Has made people executives that should not be (his best friend). Very narrow minded CFO as supervisor for staff not in financial part of company. High turnover. Too many closed door meetings and low morale with staff.

Advice to Management

Don't have your narrow minded, accounting geek CFO as a supervisor of anybody.

Academic Impressions Response

Jan 14, 2014

We encourage all past and present team members to post honest and thoughtful reviews of our organization and maintain our policy to not respond if otherwise.

RSS Feed </> Embed