Academic Partnerships Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.5
Randy Best

Pros
  • AP is a great learning experience; I was hired with little experience in sales and Higher Education (in 5 reviews)

• Great office space located in the Plaza of the Americas (Downtown Dallas) (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • High turnover, culture of fear, senior leadership turns over constantly, and CEO seem completely out of touch with the business (in 3 reviews)

• Read these reviews on here again (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

If you like a fast pace & innovation - this company is perfect for you!

Current Employee - Vice President in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Vice President in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Academic Partnerships full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent pay and plenty of opportunities for the individuals who work hard and are flexible. Being innovative means always being ahead of the next trend and it requires flexibility and responding positively to change.

Cons

On-boarding is improving. Since there is always so much work to do, it is important to remember to pace yourself so you do not forget to make time for family and other personal commitments.

Advice to Management

Continue to share updates and new innovations/projects. The town hall meetings are fun, informative, and help keep the positive energy up!

Great Company. Great Outlook. Disregard the Junk Reviews.

Current Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Academic Partnerships full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AP is making progress and addressing some of the concerns that we have had over the last few years. We now have jeans on Fridays and are becoming more involved with community service. I feel like some of the concerns have been addressed and others are in the process of being addressed.

Cons

My biggest concerns are around training in Enrollment Services. We don't have proper training or coaching. Things have improved but we need more. We would like to see something around training, espeically in the Business Vertical.

Advice to Management

Will the 8th floor be getting a lounge area like the 9th floor?

Jul 1, 2015Manager, Recruiting & HR Services

Thanks for the feedback! We're in the process of making improvements to both floors. Keep your eyes out for additional changes!

5 stars and getting better!

Current Employee - Senior Enrollment Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Enrollment Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Academic Partnerships full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The compensation, location, people, benefits, industry, partners and seeing our students succeed.

Cons

Company has gone through different changes which has led to some former employees having negative opinions.

Advice to Management

I am not the type of person that normally posts things like this online but I am tired of seeing the negative posts by former employees in which most have probably been poor performers and just bad apples overall. I've been with the company for three years and have seen lots of changes - sure there have been bad managers and leaders- but the multiple negative posts on here by people upsets me as an AP employee that believes in our company and our partners. I hope people that visit this page keep reading and don't let a few inappropriate comments taint your opinion of this company.

Jul 1, 2015Manager, Recruiting & HR Services

Thanks for the feedback. We are working hard to make AP a better place to work. Thanks for sticking around. We appreciate your contributions.

HUGE red flags

I worked at Academic Partnerships

Pros

I can't think of anything that is a pro about this company.

Cons

The turnover at this company is unlike anything I have ever seen. This is a HUGE red flag for those looking to join this company. It is startling the amount of times upper management will make swift and aggressive decisions that shake up the company. I've seen other reviews that say that every day could be your last. This is the truest thing I have read on this site about Academic Partnerships. I have seen execs come in one day and they're gone the next with literally no notice...even their reports are shocked at what happened to their manager. The disorganization at this company is unreal. There is no way of doing things - it is only what Randy wants. If he decides to come in one day and fire 8 people, then 8 people will leave without jobs for no reason at all. The attrition rate is out of this world at this place - my co-workers came and went as fast as that revolving door went. Orientations held every 2-3 weeks? That's a big issue right there. New faces coming and going, What an absolute mess. Beware and don't let them sway you in with "high" salaries and be miserable. You can find something much more fulfilling with an actual culture that values you.

Jun 29, 2015Manager, Recruiting & HR Services

People who are driven, like challenges and are passionate about changing people’s lives through a college education thrive and win at AP. We recognize this is not for everyone. We exist to deliver ... More

People are Expendable

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Academic Partnerships full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The location is excellent. Base pay is solid. You will be helping people get an education, and there is great value in that. There are some wonderful success stories. The most recent president, Ron Klausner, is excellent, but I hear he is soon to retire or already has. There are some really high quality people working at AP.

Cons

In my 2 years with AP, I saw an amazing number of changes in staffing and direction. In the last 6 or 7 years, AP has had something like 10 different CIO's. I saw more staff than I can remember quickly and harshly marched out the door. If you want to feel valued and a part of the "AP Family", I'm afraid it will not happen here. It's not a family. I would hope that part of CEO Randy Best's motivation for AP is an altruistic ambition to improve education, but I fear he's just identified a way to make more money and expand his personal museum. *Randy sees his employees as expendable, and you'll be gone quickly if he no longer feels a need for you.* To be fair, if you can handle that type of environment for awhile, and you're not looking at AP as a place to stay for 10 or 20 years, you can get some good experience and be paid well while you're there. Please note that BASE pay is good. 401k payment is awful and may not even exist anymore. You should really factor that into your decision.

Advice to Management

I've seen HR's attempts to improve AP's image here on Glassdoor. It's sad that this is necessary. Randy Best is an old dog, albeit a highly charismatic one, and will not learn any new tricks at this stage of the game. This company will NEVER make a "Best Places to Work" list. It could be worse, but it could also be a whole lot better if the people were more valued.

Jun 29, 2015Manager, Recruiting & HR Services

AP is deeply committed to building and developing our people, helping improve our communities and promoting teamwork. Our ongoing initiatives such as 50% tuition reimbursement for all employees at ... More

An unhappy, unproductive atmosphere

Former Employee - Writer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Writer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Academic Partnerships full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was paid on time and the office was quiet.

Cons

For starters, there are no procedures in place for getting anything done, so all projects are done in fire-drill style. Senior cube slaves have no qualms passing blame to junior cube slaves. Management have no qualms having the cube slaves stay until 10:00 or 11:00 pm to get something done. Any attempts to solve this problem will be initially encouraged but eventually discarded.

A large proportion of managers are either failed academics or fearful sycophants.

If you have the misfortune to be working on a project that is not generating revenue, be careful. Turnover is especially high in these areas. The VPs in charge are doing everything possible to disguise their non-marketability.

Advice to Management

Round up a cross-section of your non-executive employees and ask them why turnover is a problem.

Vice President

I worked at Academic Partnerships full-time

Pros

+ Compensation was fair
    + Support teams were supportive and collaborative

Cons

+ Direction of company was still very dynamic
    + Compensation plans, territories and product offerings changed frequently (not good for a sales person).

Enrollment specialist

Former Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Dallas, TX

I worked at Academic Partnerships full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are fun to work with

Cons

Micro management and no room for growth

Advice to Management

Fire the new director

So AP finally made some changes, but it's one step forward and 5 steps back...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Academic Partnerships full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Can't complain about the pay; nice people; changes were made within leadership; they also seem to be TRYING. Now it's time to read below.

Cons

AP is trying to address culture and the fear that exists by creating more opportunities for fear to grow. Please stop asking us to speak up or ask questions in front of leadership when issues are directly with them. Do you really expect to hear what you need to hear?

Workforce Management was bought to tell adults when they can take a break and take lunch. Other than that, you had better be on the phones smiling and dialing, or be out of adherence and receive MULTIPLE emails and IM's telling you that you are out of adherence. Please refer back to culture of fear.

Let's talk about some observations here. The CEO held a meeting with us to discuss minorities and how they have been POTENTIALLY treated unfairly and POTENTIALLY discriminated against, especially the females. While appreciated, it's strange how more recent promotions were African American females. Are you even aware of who your actual minorities groups are? Can you say EOCC and reverse discrimination?

The culture is getting worse. The problem is people are afraid to speak up. One director will get rid of you like the one who was previously in that role. Best friends are receiving promotions from management. That will drive your revenue backwards. Business will not operate or tolerate this.

Opportunity for growth exists only if you are already a favorite and one director decisions through emotional reactions. Don't think for a moment we don't know. There are 2 divisions who are mentally and emotionally drained. We've learned to adjust our faces and lie the way leadership taught us. Leadership claims to have snitches, but so do we. You would be mind blown if you only knew who they were. Advice to HR, you better start hiring because you are going to be busy. Unfortunately, we don't have the faith your department even cares what we have to say and have shown no signs of trying to improve our culture based on the multitudes of facts presented to you over the past month. I wonder what would happen if we just didn't show up to work one day...(know it's being considered amongst the majority).

We sell education to those wanting to better their chances of increased marketability, promotion opportunities, yet those valid reasons hold no meaning here. It's all about being diverse enough. Who needs a degree for that? Here, some of us will need sex changes and new ethnic background classifications. One last observation, when diversity was being preached during our meeting, did you notice what sex and gender you did not see within management?

Advice to Management

If you needed a Leader/Director, get one that can lead, don't promote just because your options were extremely limited. Mr. CEO, interview the reps individually; asking us about our leadership with them in the room will bring you artificial responses, or no response. While I believe your intentions are good, you are not going about change the correct way; start at the top with the socially awkward. Get out of your offices and out of your comfort zones and get to know your people. Lastly, promote the candidates who deserve the job and are the best candidate, not because of their sex or ethnic background.

If building a company were easy, everyone would do it!

Current Employee - Marketing in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Academic Partnerships

Pros

Above market salaries, career advancement opportunities, consecutive year over year revenue growth, community service projects, generous holiday and personal time off policies

Cons

AP provides great partner training and support but could benefit by providing better on-boarding and personnel training. I understand this is underway. How change is implemented has everything to do with how the team embraces it. The company should keep its sense of urgency as it is a differentiator but slowing down a little to bring the team along could minimize misunderstandings and increase alignment.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on employee retention and increasing employee engagement.

RSS Feed </> Embed