Academic Partnerships Reviews

Updated March 12, 2015
67 reviews filtered by
2.6
Randy Best

Pros
  • AP is a great learning experience; I was hired with little experience in sales and Higher Education (in 5 reviews)

• Great office space located in the Plaza of the Americas (Downtown Dallas) (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • High turnover, culture of fear, senior leadership turns over constantly, and CEO seem completely out of touch with the business (in 3 reviews)

• Read these reviews on here again (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

If you like a fast pace & innovation - this company is perfect for you!

Current Employee - Vice President in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Vice President in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Academic Partnerships full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent pay and plenty of opportunities for the individuals who work hard and are flexible. Being innovative means always being ahead of the next trend and it requires flexibility and responding positively to change.

Cons

On-boarding is improving. Since there is always so much work to do, it is important to remember to pace yourself so you do not forget to make time for family and other personal commitments.

Continue to share updates and new innovations/projects. The town hall meetings are fun, informative, and help keep the positive energy up!

If building a company were easy, everyone would do it!

Current Employee - Marketing in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Academic Partnerships

Pros

Above market salaries, career advancement opportunities, consecutive year over year revenue growth, community service projects, generous holiday and personal time off policies

Cons

AP provides great partner training and support but could benefit by providing better on-boarding and personnel training. I understand this is underway. How change is implemented has everything to do with how the team embraces it. The company should keep its sense of urgency as it is a differentiator but slowing down a little to bring the team along could minimize misunderstandings and increase alignment.

Continue to focus on employee retention and increasing employee engagement.

3. Company has growing pains but there is never a dull moment!

Current Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Academic Partnerships full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I was hired as an Enrollment Specialist last year and enjoy the work. I'm currently in grad school working on my Master's degree. I don't think I would have ever gone back to school if I hadn't gotten the job at AP. The tuition reimbursement is awesome! Is the company perfect? No. But I don't understand all the negative posts on here.

Cons

There's usually one or two late nights and usually one day on the weekend but there is some flexibility during the week. The Call Center is a typical call center environment. Most of the calls are warm though so it's not completely a cold call.

We should stick with one plan. It seems like we change paths fairly often, if we have a bad month. I think we should be paid commission when a student enrolls.

Just another sales job... for an 8+ year old start-up?

I worked at Academic Partnerships full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Rep a good school and you're in. Survive the quarterly change in the way they do business and you'll stay a while. Pay is good for a university... oh, wait, this isn't a university.

Cons

Pay is low for sales. Get stuck with a lower ranked, over-priced school and you'll struggle for 2 months and they'll cut you loose. Get your bearings on how to make it work... then they change everything... take to long to reinvent your strategy and you're gone. Maybe one day they will figure out how to act like a grown-up company instead of a start-up and then they can have some tenured employees.

Investors... drop your friends that don't know how to manage a business and you'll make a lot more money. Middle management is improving. Upper management is clearly attached to the investor group (by hook or by crook) or they would have been gone a long time ago.

6. Good place

I have been working at Academic Partnerships

Pros

Good salaries, good work environment

Cons

Very formal work environment, ugly carpet.

Mar 9, 2015Manager, Recruiting & HR Services

We completely agree with your comment that the carpet could use a serious refresh! Let's see what we can do about that!

Not a Long Term Option

Former Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Dallas, TX

I worked at Academic Partnerships full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good location, PTO, and decent pay

Cons

If you wanted to be treated like a child, as in a 4 year old, this is a great place to work. Middle management is comprised of outcasts from the for-profit education world, and with that comes high pressure and low rewards, with a healthy dose of idiocy.

If you want to read from a script and raise your hand to go to the bathroom, this place is for you. Free thought, don't even think about it. Flexibility, not a chance. People telling you when to speak/eat/pee, with absolutely no confidence in or respect for you, definitely.

If you need an in between job, sure. If you plan to stay awhile, I suggest you best keep lookin'.

Replace the middle management. If universities knew how this place was run they would keep their money in their pockets.

Mar 9, 2015Manager, Recruiting & HR Services

Thank you for sharing your perspective. We are committed to promoting and creating a positive work environment where everyone is free to share feedback and is treated with utmost dignity. We would ... More

Every day at AP could be your last

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Academic Partnerships full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You can break into an emerging industry due to the constant turnover. This is a good place to cut your teeth and learn by fire. You can join a company that shows you what not to do. It also teaches you to learn to read the fine print. Compensation agreements are all subject to change based on the strategy du jour.

Cons

AP culture is toxic. Your job is a roulette wheel; one bad turn of fate and you're gone. Every day there is one step closer to your last. Lots of good people get fired for no understandable reason. I hired people for projects that they left paying jobs for. On a whim a decision was made to let them go after a very short time.
    Leaders who manage to stay look out for #1. They are afraid for themselves and won't even give you the recommendation you rightfully earned out of fear or reprisal. It's unreal. I've never worked in a place this dysfunctional.
    The running joke in the office is to have a cardboard box under your desk. You never know when you'll be told to pack it and leave with a bit of severance to avoid a nasty lawsuit.
    The CEO ruthless and has very little respect for employees or his managers. He is a very wealthy man who will do what it takes to perpetuate his oil wells and overseas universities. That's right...he owns universities!

Stop listening to the CYA sessions given to you by the in house legal counsel and stand up for what's right. Protect employees. A shared voice of reason should be stronger than a few out of touch l

Mar 9, 2015Manager, Recruiting & HR Services

We are concerned about your comments and take this type of feedback very seriously. We would also like to clarify a few points on our CEO. You should really meet him in person and spend some time ... More

Unorganized

Former Employee - Designer
    Former Employee - Designer

I worked at Academic Partnerships

Pros

Decent pay. Steady work. semi-decent location in the city.

Cons

Lack of teamwork/communication. New ideas were not welcome. Quick deadlines due to bad scheduling and miscommunications. Some of the work was very repetitive and mostly time wasting due to the lack of communication by the people in charge.

Learn how to recognize the strengths and weaknesses in your team in order to get polished projects out.

Mar 9, 2015Manager, Recruiting & HR Services

Thanks for sharing your feedback. We are working on a few initiatives that will have a positive impact on project outputs very soon.

Liars and Thieves

I worked at Academic Partnerships

Pros

Be skeptical about the good reviews here. AP is the kind of company that would post good reviews just to bring their score up. They lied to me and stole money from me by not paying me for services performed.

Cons

Too many to mention but trust me, you don't want to work here. Nobody is happy. People are openly hostile. Senior Management is openly idiotic.

Live in your mansions and do all your soulless rich people stuff. Just leave good people alone.

Mar 9, 2015Manager, Recruiting & HR Services

Please contact your manager and our HR Department right away at Bart.Wilburn@AcademicPartnerships.com to address this issue. If a mistake has been made, we would like to correct it immediately.

Oppressive management style with many scenarios for being set up to fail.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Academic Partnerships full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Supporting a concept that offers education to the masses.

Cons

Petty in-fighting, revolving door policy, too many of the wrong people given decision making, lack of cohesive team attitudes; too much purposely positioned competitiveness between and among departments.

Care for the people you hire by respecting their skills and offering a truly democratic, open, free to have ideas and opinions culture. Cull out the egocentric, entitled individuals who misuse their authority in a dramatized version of the workplace.

Academic Partnerships Photos