Academic Partnerships Reviews

Updated April 22, 2015
71 reviews filtered by
2.6
Randy Best

Pros
  • AP is a great learning experience; I was hired with little experience in sales and Higher Education (in 5 reviews)

• Great office space located in the Plaza of the Americas (Downtown Dallas) (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • High turnover, culture of fear, senior leadership turns over constantly, and CEO seem completely out of touch with the business (in 3 reviews)

• Read these reviews on here again (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

If you like a fast pace & innovation - this company is perfect for you!

Current Employee - Vice President in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Vice President in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Academic Partnerships full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent pay and plenty of opportunities for the individuals who work hard and are flexible. Being innovative means always being ahead of the next trend and it requires flexibility and responding positively to change.

Cons

On-boarding is improving. Since there is always so much work to do, it is important to remember to pace yourself so you do not forget to make time for family and other personal commitments.

Advice to Management

Continue to share updates and new innovations/projects. The town hall meetings are fun, informative, and help keep the positive energy up!

2. Vice President

I worked at Academic Partnerships full-time

Pros

+ Compensation was fair
    + Support teams were supportive and collaborative

Cons

+ Direction of company was still very dynamic
    + Compensation plans, territories and product offerings changed frequently (not good for a sales person).

Four out of Five Star

Current Employee - Student Coordinator
    Current Employee - Student Coordinator

I have been working at Academic Partnerships full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AP has a lot of good people. There are tons of smart folks both in the call center and in marketing/sales. Some cool raffles and prizes for employees. COO does a great job of getting people involved. HR and office assistants are really nice and helpful.

Cons

There is a lot of change in direction. Several changes in management which can be frustrating. We need more days or jeans days. Maybe option to wear college t-shirts.

Advice to Management

I think people would be happy if there was more consistency. The recent change in management on 8 has been good.

Enrollment specialist

Former Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Dallas, TX

I worked at Academic Partnerships full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are fun to work with

Cons

Micro management and no room for growth

Advice to Management

Fire the new director

If building a company were easy, everyone would do it!

Current Employee - Marketing in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Academic Partnerships

Pros

Above market salaries, career advancement opportunities, consecutive year over year revenue growth, community service projects, generous holiday and personal time off policies

Cons

AP provides great partner training and support but could benefit by providing better on-boarding and personnel training. I understand this is underway. How change is implemented has everything to do with how the team embraces it. The company should keep its sense of urgency as it is a differentiator but slowing down a little to bring the team along could minimize misunderstandings and increase alignment.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on employee retention and increasing employee engagement.

Company has growing pains but there is never a dull moment!

Current Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Academic Partnerships full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was hired as an Enrollment Specialist last year and enjoy the work. I'm currently in grad school working on my Master's degree. I don't think I would have ever gone back to school if I hadn't gotten the job at AP. The tuition reimbursement is awesome! Is the company perfect? No. But I don't understand all the negative posts on here.

Cons

There's usually one or two late nights and usually one day on the weekend but there is some flexibility during the week. The Call Center is a typical call center environment. Most of the calls are warm though so it's not completely a cold call.

Advice to Management

We should stick with one plan. It seems like we change paths fairly often, if we have a bad month. I think we should be paid commission when a student enrolls.

Keep your distance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Academic Partnerships (Less than a year)

Pros

This is an okay place for contractors but I would never take a full-time position here. Most non-management employees are friendly enough, but you'll soon wonder why they put up with the lack of respect shown by a good proportion of management.

Cons

There are no proper workplace procedures in any department. Every project is run in fire-drill manner so doing it fast is preferred over doing it well. Most VPs don't have the skills to manage projects, and they don't care if the cubicle people work until midnight to fulfill an insane deadlines.

Advice to Management

I have no advice for management. The CEO needs to ask senior management the right questions and look past the song and dance routines.

Just another sales job... for an 8+ year old start-up?

I worked at Academic Partnerships full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Rep a good school and you're in. Survive the quarterly change in the way they do business and you'll stay a while. Pay is good for a university... oh, wait, this isn't a university.

Cons

Pay is low for sales. Get stuck with a lower ranked, over-priced school and you'll struggle for 2 months and they'll cut you loose. Get your bearings on how to make it work... then they change everything... take to long to reinvent your strategy and you're gone. Maybe one day they will figure out how to act like a grown-up company instead of a start-up and then they can have some tenured employees.

Advice to Management

Investors... drop your friends that don't know how to manage a business and you'll make a lot more money. Middle management is improving. Upper management is clearly attached to the investor group (by hook or by crook) or they would have been gone a long time ago.

Good place

I have been working at Academic Partnerships

Pros

Good salaries, good work environment

Cons

Very formal work environment, ugly carpet.

Academic Partnerships Response

Mar 9, 2015Manager, Recruiting & HR Services

We completely agree with your comment that the carpet could use a serious refresh! Let's see what we can do about that!

Every day at AP could be your last

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Academic Partnerships full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can break into an emerging industry due to the constant turnover. This is a good place to cut your teeth and learn by fire. You can join a company that shows you what not to do. It also teaches you to learn to read the fine print. Compensation agreements are all subject to change based on the strategy du jour.

Cons

AP culture is toxic. Your job is a roulette wheel; one bad turn of fate and you're gone. Every day there is one step closer to your last. Lots of good people get fired for no understandable reason. I hired people for projects that they left paying jobs for. On a whim a decision was made to let them go after a very short time.
    Leaders who manage to stay look out for #1. They are afraid for themselves and won't even give you the recommendation you rightfully earned out of fear or reprisal. It's unreal. I've never worked in a place this dysfunctional.
    The running joke in the office is to have a cardboard box under your desk. You never know when you'll be told to pack it and leave with a bit of severance to avoid a nasty lawsuit.
    The CEO ruthless and has very little respect for employees or his managers. He is a very wealthy man who will do what it takes to perpetuate his oil wells and overseas universities. That's right...he owns universities!

Advice to Management

Stop listening to the CYA sessions given to you by the in house legal counsel and stand up for what's right. Protect employees. A shared voice of reason should be stronger than a few out of touch l

Academic Partnerships Response

Mar 9, 2015Manager, Recruiting & HR Services

We are concerned about your comments and take this type of feedback very seriously. We would also like to clarify a few points on our CEO. You should really meet him in person and spend some time ... More

Academic Partnerships Photos