Academic Partnerships Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.3
Randy Best

Pros
  • AP is a great learning experience; I was hired with little experience in sales and Higher Education (in 5 reviews)

• Great office space located in the Plaza of the Americas (Downtown Dallas) (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • High turnover, culture of fear, senior leadership turns over constantly, and CEO seem completely out of touch with the business (in 3 reviews)

• Read these reviews on here again (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great Company. Great Outlook. Disregard the Junk Reviews.

Current Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Academic Partnerships full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AP is making progress and addressing some of the concerns that we have had over the last few years. We now have jeans on Fridays and are becoming more involved with community service. I feel like some of the concerns have been addressed and others are in the process of being addressed.

Cons

My biggest concerns are around training in Enrollment Services. We don't have proper training or coaching. Things have improved but we need more. We would like to see something around training, espeically in the Business Vertical.

Advice to Management

Will the 8th floor be getting a lounge area like the 9th floor?

Jul 1, 2015 – Manager, Recruiting & HR Services

Thanks for feedback! On training, we are pursuing two parallel initiatives. We are in the final stages of selecting a Director of Training for Enrollment and Retention Services and our internal ... More

Love what we do but things could be better

Current Employee - Student Coordinator in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Academic Partnerships full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is always thinking of new ideas or how to implement newer strategies so they strive to have continuous improvement. I'm passionate about helping students to keep them on track, organized, and motivated. I get to make relationships with these students over the months as they progress in their program and its amazing to hear how well some do. They feel so accomplished at the end and its great to hear them be thankful for always being a phone call a way to lend some advice or help them stay focused. Another pro is that I'm making more than what I would make on a campus. The company has recognition programs in place and provides lunches for us often. We also have gotten involved with more volunteer activities.

Cons

Not all schools are willing to provide enough information to AP to allow me to fully help the students. I'm sure its for security purposes but I end up being that annoying weekly phone call to just say that I'm checking in without any answers to support their important questions. I'll escalate the student's issue or question but it has to go through so many channels to get an answer a week later. By then, the student has lost confidence in me and has moved on. Or sometimes I'll never get an answer. I enjoy helping the students and would like to resolve their issues. But if I can't do that then I just become reminder call to register or pay for classes. It can be frustrating at times. Also, the contact strategy has been changed many times and we have moved over to an automated system. It can be helpful when I need to call many students for payment reminders but the technology isn't where it needs to be yet. So we are stuck with the growing pains of the mistakes made until we fix one problem at a time very slowly. Other stresses on top can make little challenges like this worse. Like, the management has to watch you like a hawk because that is what they are measured on as well- our activity time vs inactivity time. I understand they have to show how much we are accomplishing with numbers and statistics but this in turn makes us start treating our students more as a number and not a valued customer.

Advice to Management

I know it would help to have monthly training for our management team. Some team members have had the opportunity to move up because of their accomplishments or degrees but this doesn't mean they know how to manage a group of people. I'm very passionate about what I do and I think that fits what AP is looking for but it declines when I don't see the same passion from the management team and how they focus more on our numbers. Customer service for higher education should be approached with compassion and efficiency daily to navigate the students through their years spent paying thousands of dollars to reach their goals. I believe if we achieve this as a team our statistics will increase naturally.

Toxic. Run.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

Great products, short commute, a lot of really great people working there (who would benefit from the company treating them better), and the pay was good.

Cons

There are, of course, exceptions, and some teams and managers are fantastic. I just happened to work for a despot who got away with every imaginable form of abuse, Employees' talents are unvalued and their ideas constantly dismissed, and their contributions unrecognized (except in sales). This leads to assignments that are mind-numbingly dull, redundant and unrewarding. And whether I worked my tail off or not, I was treated as though I were the world's biggest slacker. Every attempt to innovate is crushed, collaboration is frowned upon and any kind of push back is severely punished. If employee morale were any lower at this place, it might just dig its way to China. Unless you're a masochist, RUN.

Advice to Management

First of all, congrats to AP on stepping into the 1990s by introducing casual Fridays, but your employee turnover is costly and shameful. Finding and keeping the best talent to execute your vision isn't going to happen by offering a free lunch every month or allowing them to wear jeans more often. You need to let them do their freaking jobs, make real and meaningful contributions and have some ownership of their work. Then you need to train your managers to manage humans, not livestock. I gave a one-star rating because Glassdoor's system doesn't allow me to give zero stars.

Aug 28, 2015 – Manager, Recruiting & HR Services

Thanks for the feedback. It is is concerning but also helpful. AP is an organization that greatly values team member contributions and we know – without a doubt – that AP is successful because of ... More

5. Its a job that pays the bills

Current Employee - Student Coordinator in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Academic Partnerships full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They pay you every two weeks. They recently implement profit sharing and there will be annual reviews as well.

Cons

The job is very monotonous. You are constantly on the phone but the students are really the best part of the day.

Advice to Management

I would recommend that you provide more staff development training for employees.

5 stars and getting better!

Current Employee - Senior Enrollment Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Enrollment Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Academic Partnerships full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The compensation, location, people, benefits, industry, partners and seeing our students succeed.

Cons

Company has gone through different changes which has led to some former employees having negative opinions.

Advice to Management

I am not the type of person that normally posts things like this online but I am tired of seeing the negative posts by former employees in which most have probably been poor performers and just bad apples overall. I've been with the company for three years and have seen lots of changes - sure there have been bad managers and leaders- but the multiple negative posts on here by people upsets me as an AP employee that believes in our company and our partners. I hope people that visit this page keep reading and don't let a few inappropriate comments taint your opinion of this company.

Jul 1, 2015 – Manager, Recruiting & HR Services

Thanks for the feedback. We are working hard to make AP a better place to work. Thanks for sticking around. We appreciate your contributions.

Horrible company to work for!

Current Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Dallas, TX

Pros

Decent pay and benefits, great location

Cons

Way too much micromanaging, poor training, extremely high turnover.

Advice to Management

Start treating your employees better

Deceptive Organization

Former Employee - Executive Director
    Former Employee - Executive Director

Pros

At a glance, the company seems strong and leadership capable and solid. After the interview process, I was confident and excited about my decision to land at AP. I worked hard, exceeded my goals, was professional, and dutifully performed tasks that were asked of me by upper management. I quickly learned that real talent is not what the company wants, but rather to eliminate high performers who are skilled and knowledgeable. Additionally, less-than capable individuals are promoted, leaving the organizational operations mismanaged by under qualified leaders. The company is in dire straights; it has a negative reputation among many organizations in various industries. In the short period of time (9 months) I represented AP as a member of the business team (which had 9 staff when I began and currently has two employees,) I salvaged numerous relationships and built partnerships with large-scale companies. Once I exceeded my goals for the company, I was informed that changes to the market were taking place and that there was no longer a need for my work. I learned a valuable lesson from my brief time at AP: if something seems too good to be true, it is. Employees at AP are overpaid and titles are inflated, but the positions won't last. Given the volatile state the higher education industry is in, along with the poor practices of leadership at AP, I am certain that it is just a matter of time before the company folds.

Cons

Under qualified and incapable leadership, inflated titles, misrepresentation of AP representatives, culture of fear and uncertainty, egotistical staff, overpaid employees

Advice to Management

Retain talent to improve brand. Develop cohesive training so that all departments conduct streamlined processes. HR needs addressing, as issues that arise are cause for legal ramifications.

Jul 29, 2015 – Manager, Recruiting & HR Services

We take your candid feedback very seriously and we wish you had a better experience at AP. We acknowledge the need to improve new team member integration in certain departments and we are ... More

If you appreciate moral ethics, stay far away from this place!

Former Employee - Marketing in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing in Dallas, TX

I worked at Academic Partnerships full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free parking, decent benefits...that's where it ends.

Cons

Most corrupt company I've ever seen. This place is completely toxic and ruthless with their treatment of employees.

HUGE red flags

Pros

I can't think of anything that is a pro about this company.

Cons

The turnover at this company is unlike anything I have ever seen. This is a HUGE red flag for those looking to join this company. It is startling the amount of times upper management will make swift and aggressive decisions that shake up the company. I've seen other reviews that say that every day could be your last. This is the truest thing I have read on this site about Academic Partnerships. I have seen execs come in one day and they're gone the next with literally no notice...even their reports are shocked at what happened to their manager. The disorganization at this company is unreal. There is no way of doing things - it is only what Randy wants. If he decides to come in one day and fire 8 people, then 8 people will leave without jobs for no reason at all. The attrition rate is out of this world at this place - my co-workers came and went as fast as that revolving door went. Orientations held every 2-3 weeks? That's a big issue right there. New faces coming and going, What an absolute mess. Beware and don't let them sway you in with "high" salaries and be miserable. You can find something much more fulfilling with an actual culture that values you.

Jun 29, 2015 – Manager, Recruiting & HR Services

People who are driven, like challenges and are passionate about changing people’s lives through a college education thrive and win at AP. We recognize this is not for everyone. We exist to deliver ... More

People are Expendable

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Academic Partnerships full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The location is excellent. Base pay is solid. You will be helping people get an education, and there is great value in that. There are some wonderful success stories. The most recent president, Ron Klausner, is excellent, but I hear he is soon to retire or already has. There are some really high quality people working at AP.

Cons

In my 2 years with AP, I saw an amazing number of changes in staffing and direction. In the last 6 or 7 years, AP has had something like 10 different CIO's. I saw more staff than I can remember quickly and harshly marched out the door. If you want to feel valued and a part of the "AP Family", I'm afraid it will not happen here. It's not a family. I would hope that part of CEO Randy Best's motivation for AP is an altruistic ambition to improve education, but I fear he's just identified a way to make more money and expand his personal museum. *Randy sees his employees as expendable, and you'll be gone quickly if he no longer feels a need for you.* To be fair, if you can handle that type of environment for awhile, and you're not looking at AP as a place to stay for 10 or 20 years, you can get some good experience and be paid well while you're there. Please note that BASE pay is good. 401k payment is awful and may not even exist anymore. You should really factor that into your decision.

Advice to Management

I've seen HR's attempts to improve AP's image here on Glassdoor. It's sad that this is necessary. Randy Best is an old dog, albeit a highly charismatic one, and will not learn any new tricks at this stage of the game. This company will NEVER make a "Best Places to Work" list. It could be worse, but it could also be a whole lot better if the people were more valued.

Jun 29, 2015 – Manager, Recruiting & HR Services

AP is deeply committed to building and developing our people, helping improve our communities and promoting teamwork. Our ongoing initiatives such as 50% tuition reimbursement for all employees at ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed