Academic Partnerships

Updated February 26, 2015
Updated February 26, 2015
2.4

Randy Best

Pros
  • AP is a great learning experience; I was hired with little experience in sales and Higher Education (in 5 reviews)

• Great office space located in the Plaza of the Americas (Downtown Dallas) (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • High turnover, culture of fear, senior leadership turns over constantly, and CEO seem completely out of touch with the business (in 3 reviews)

• Read these reviews on here again (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Just another sales job... for an 8+ year old start-up?

I worked at Academic Partnerships full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Rep a good school and you're in. Survive the quarterly change in the way they do business and you'll stay a while. Pay is good for a university... oh, wait, this isn't a university.

Cons

Pay is low for sales. Get stuck with a lower ranked, over-priced school and you'll struggle for 2 months and they'll cut you loose. Get your bearings on how to make it work... then they change everything... take to long to reinvent your strategy and you're gone. Maybe one day they will figure out how to act like a grown-up company instead of a start-up and then they can have some tenured employees.

Investors... drop your friends that don't know how to manage a business and you'll make a lot more money. Middle management is improving. Upper management is clearly attached to the investor group (by hook or by crook) or they would have been gone a long time ago.

Good place

I have been working at Academic Partnerships

Pros

Good salaries, good work environment

Cons

Very formal work environment, ugly carpet.

Unorganized

Former Employee - Designer
    Former Employee - Designer

I worked at Academic Partnerships

Pros

Decent pay. Steady work. semi-decent location in the city.

Cons

Lack of teamwork/communication. New ideas were not welcome. Quick deadlines due to bad scheduling and miscommunications. Some of the work was very repetitive and mostly time wasting due to the lack of communication by the people in charge.

Learn how to recognize the strengths and weaknesses in your team in order to get polished projects out.

Enrollment Specialist

Current Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Academic Partnerships full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Downtown, Department spirit and celebrating successes, team orientated and institution focus, access to dart, good pay, opportunity to promote yourself as you help students, lots of recognition like Circle of Excellence, monthly awards for representing your school like you should. If you like to play victim and say the reason your not successful is because of others then I would say look for another employer that doesn't have goals or requirements (hide out there or work for the post office) to make sure we are doing what we committed to do with our schools we were given to represent. I enjoy the goals and yes, we still have our complainers who (like the Jan 9th person) like to show blame and are generally unhappy with themselves because they have an entitlement mindset and want to hideout. It was initially hard for me to understand the performance management and goal setting but I do understand that we represent our quality schools and every person that wants to do something with their life. Metrics are part of the accountability so I think I speak for many when I see the negativity of the last writer of Jan 9th who sees the world as negative, complainer, wants to goof off on breaks, text and promote problems.. Please leave because you are not speaking for us. I appreciate the direction and it is done fairly, not perfect but nothing really is. I look around me and I wonder how many other areas are leading with goals and metrics in their department??? I like the direction so complainer - there's the door. Adapt, grow yourself or leave because your not helping the team nor our important partners we represent.

Cons

Accountable environment, they set goals to make sure you service your potential students, control quality of delivery so they listen to calls (I'm ok with that and I think they should), questioned on activity and reviewed twice a month with a final review monthly.

Remember you are dealing with people who care about what they do and represent themselves the best they can with their partner schools. Be fair and I think for the most part I'm treated fair and I'm excited to contribute to at least a vision that has been created for me. Thank you and please continue to do the great awards and recognitions you do. They motivate me and I know it is really appreciated throughout the department.

Not a Long Term Option

Former Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Dallas, TX

I worked at Academic Partnerships full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good location, PTO, and decent pay

Cons

If you wanted to be treated like a child, as in a 4 year old, this is a great place to work. Middle management is comprised of outcasts from the for-profit education world, and with that comes high pressure and low rewards, with a healthy dose of idiocy.

If you want to read from a script and raise your hand to go to the bathroom, this place is for you. Free thought, don't even think about it. Flexibility, not a chance. People telling you when to speak/eat/pee, with absolutely no confidence in or respect for you, definitely.

If you need an in between job, sure. If you plan to stay awhile, I suggest you best keep lookin'.

Replace the middle management. If universities knew how this place was run they would keep their money in their pockets.

Every day at AP could be your last

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Academic Partnerships full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You can break into an emerging industry due to the constant turnover. This is a good place to cut your teeth and learn by fire. You can join a company that shows you what not to do. It also teaches you to learn to read the fine print. Compensation agreements are all subject to change based on the strategy du jour.

Cons

AP culture is toxic. Your job is a roulette wheel; one bad turn of fate and you're gone. Every day there is one step closer to your last. Lots of good people get fired for no understandable reason. I hired people for projects that they left paying jobs for. On a whim a decision was made to let them go after a very short time.
    Leaders who manage to stay look out for #1. They are afraid for themselves and won't even give you the recommendation you rightfully earned out of fear or reprisal. It's unreal. I've never worked in a place this dysfunctional.
    The running joke in the office is to have a cardboard box under your desk. You never know when you'll be told to pack it and leave with a bit of severance to avoid a nasty lawsuit.
    The CEO ruthless and has very little respect for employees or his managers. He is a very wealthy man who will do what it takes to perpetuate his oil wells and overseas universities. That's right...he owns universities!

Stop listening to the CYA sessions given to you by the in house legal counsel and stand up for what's right. Protect employees. A shared voice of reason should be stronger than a few out of touch l

Liars and Thieves

I worked at Academic Partnerships

Pros

Be skeptical about the good reviews here. AP is the kind of company that would post good reviews just to bring their score up. They lied to me and stole money from me by not paying me for services performed.

Cons

Too many to mention but trust me, you don't want to work here. Nobody is happy. People are openly hostile. Senior Management is openly idiotic.

Live in your mansions and do all your soulless rich people stuff. Just leave good people alone.

Oppressive management style with many scenarios for being set up to fail.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Academic Partnerships full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Supporting a concept that offers education to the masses.

Cons

Petty in-fighting, revolving door policy, too many of the wrong people given decision making, lack of cohesive team attitudes; too much purposely positioned competitiveness between and among departments.

Care for the people you hire by respecting their skills and offering a truly democratic, open, free to have ideas and opinions culture. Cull out the egocentric, entitled individuals who misuse their authority in a dramatized version of the workplace.

It's Okay. Don't expect pay incentives or raises

I have been working at Academic Partnerships full-time

Pros

Type A people work here. Lots of motivated, hard-working employees. A bit stressful, but the right team and manager make all the difference.

Cons

Don't expect to get a yearly pay raise! Not even with a stellar performance review. They gave a small (1%) raise last year but only due to complaints and low moral. You work two years at a place, meet all your goals, and only get .50 cent raise. They don't even offer bonuses. Instead, They spend tons of money on company lunches, pizza days, raffles, t-shirts, etc. On some level, it's nice. But with the ever increasing cost of living and inflation , I'm sure many employees would appreciate if some of that money could go into their pockets. There is no motivation to want to grow and stay.

Explore other ways to honor employees!

What innovation?

I worked at Academic Partnerships

Pros

None that I can think of.

Cons

Its pretty interesting that the positive reviewers talk about all of this "innovating" that is going on at this company. What innovation? The initial idea of helping institutions take their degrees online may have been innovative but at this point, it just seems that what this company is doing now is just old fashioned sales. I guess thats their latest buzzword or its the same reviewer.. Anyway, there are a lot of companies that are innovating a lot more than this company that have a lot less failures and a lot less enemies. I have never seen a company mismanage people worse than this company. It is amazing to me that the positive reviewers come on here and make excuses about the unbelievable turnover at this company having to do with the fact that they are innovating and that they are holding people accountable. What accountability and what does innovating have to do with treating people poorly? So many great hard working people have been fired at this company that didn't deserve it and yet the managers that mismanaged these employees seem to stick around from what I've seen. One of the other common themes from the positive reviewers is this whole bit about not being afraid to fail.. I guess that's easy to say when you can fail repeatedly and never be held accountable and can just fire the people you've mismanaged and blame it on them. I am not sure what the owner of this company is thinking, he fires his good people and keeps his bad people and it never occurs to him that the problem may be with the managers. As one reviewer pointed out, the problems with this company start right to the top and the problems are rooted in unbelievable arrogance in my opinion. It seems that if you're in good with the owner, you can fail repeatedly and if you're not, its probably not going to end well for you (read on).

They won't listen anyway.

Academic Partnerships Photos