Academic Partnerships

Updated January 13, 2015
Updated January 13, 2015
2.5

Randy Best

Pros
  • AP is a great learning experience; I was hired with little experience in sales and Higher Education (in 5 reviews)

• Great office space located in the Plaza of the Americas (Downtown Dallas) (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • High turnover, culture of fear, senior leadership turns over constantly, and CEO seem completely out of touch with the business (in 3 reviews)

• Read these reviews on here again (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Unorganized

Former Employee - Designer
    Former Employee - Designer

I worked at Academic Partnerships

Pros

Decent pay. Steady work. semi-decent location in the city.

Cons

Lack of teamwork/communication. New ideas were not welcome. Quick deadlines due to bad scheduling and miscommunications. Some of the work was very repetitive and mostly time wasting due to the lack of communication by the people in charge.

Learn how to recognize the strengths and weaknesses in your team in order to get polished projects out.

Enrollment Specialist

Current Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Academic Partnerships full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Downtown, Department spirit and celebrating successes, team orientated and institution focus, access to dart, good pay, opportunity to promote yourself as you help students, lots of recognition like Circle of Excellence, monthly awards for representing your school like you should. If you like to play victim and say the reason your not successful is because of others then I would say look for another employer that doesn't have goals or requirements (hide out there or work for the post office) to make sure we are doing what we committed to do with our schools we were given to represent. I enjoy the goals and yes, we still have our complainers who (like the Jan 9th person) like to show blame and are generally unhappy with themselves because they have an entitlement mindset and want to hideout. It was initially hard for me to understand the performance management and goal setting but I do understand that we represent our quality schools and every person that wants to do something with their life. Metrics are part of the accountability so I think I speak for many when I see the negativity of the last writer of Jan 9th who sees the world as negative, complainer, wants to goof off on breaks, text and promote problems.. Please leave because you are not speaking for us. I appreciate the direction and it is done fairly, not perfect but nothing really is. I look around me and I wonder how many other areas are leading with goals and metrics in their department??? I like the direction so complainer - there's the door. Adapt, grow yourself or leave because your not helping the team nor our important partners we represent.

Cons

Accountable environment, they set goals to make sure you service your potential students, control quality of delivery so they listen to calls (I'm ok with that and I think they should), questioned on activity and reviewed twice a month with a final review monthly.

Remember you are dealing with people who care about what they do and represent themselves the best they can with their partner schools. Be fair and I think for the most part I'm treated fair and I'm excited to contribute to at least a vision that has been created for me. Thank you and please continue to do the great awards and recognitions you do. They motivate me and I know it is really appreciated throughout the department.

GOOD COMPANY WITH HORRIBLE LEADERSHIP!

I have been working at Academic Partnerships

Pros

You can learn a lot about sales/phone strategies
    Easy money. They pay well for the job.
    Great location as it is right off a DART train stop
    Potential to build great relationships
    Will learn some good technical skills
    If lucky to get good Manager (GiGi Tippens), you can succeed.

Cons

1. VERY METRIC DRIVEN. Be careful if you go more than 2 minutes without a dial. Watch your unavailable rate! Do not dial the same number more than once, even if by mistake, you will get written up or fired. Planned breaks and planned lunches so you can WORK WORK WORK. They do gap analysis on everyone just looking for a reason to show executives that they are "on their people". Way high goals and budgets. And if you don't hit them then watch out. Good luck trying to get a pay increase too. If you don't hit your goals you are written up and then fired. NUMBERS DRIVEN! If you are in the education vertical then watch out and be careful! Only way to make more money is to be promoted. Only the butt-kissers and friends of the managers or directors get promoted so if you are a genuine hard worker, sorry you will not be promoted. Referrals are a must. If you don't ask for one on every call you will be written up. There are some people in leadership there that will do anything to make themselves look good and do not care about their staff! If that's the leaders you want then I feel sorry for you. Seriously, all they care about there at AP are numbers. They lie to their partners and are slave drivers in every aspect. They try to control your every minute of your 9 hour shift there.

2. They preach they want to help students but treat the teams as a strict call center. They don't care about the students, only about NUMBERS. Dials, Talk time, applications, enrollments, NUMBERS NUMBERS NUMBERS. If the partner universities knew how they managed then they would all pull out and run away, far far away.

3. LEADERSHIP IS HORRIBLE!! They only care about themselves and their own advancement. Greedy, Bullies, Scare Tactics, Performance Management times 1000000000000! Trust me, they only care about themselves and how they look and will not care about you or your success! They are quick to write you up and fire you if you are not on board. They have fired and demoted and written up GREAT employees for dumb things. Example, not asking for a referral on a 2 minute call. More than 2 minutes of no calls. High unavailable rate. "defending your team too much". Basically anything that you do that IS NOT WHAT THEY SAY then you are GONE. If thats the leaders you want then I feel sorry for you. There is one person in leadership there who said this, "I am not paid to care about their lives. Only their work". WOW. Just WOW. All they care about is their own success and nothing more. Oh he also wants to fit in so will do whatever the top dogs say and do so he can be one of the "cool kids". Trust me, if AP invested on GOOD management then they would be a great company to work for. All the 9th floor makes fun of the 8th floor. And for good reason. The leaderships sucks and will be the downfall of what could be a great company. Well until he sells it at least. He will make so much money off of it after he sells AP. If you like being someone's doormat then this is the company for you. You will HATE it there!!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE consider better leaders for the "8th floor". No one on that floor is happy. Walk around one day and see that sad and tired and exhausted faces on your people. All just waiting for a better opportunity.PLEASE open your eyes and realize how bad they are for your culture. If you all were brave you would take an anonymous poll of your staff and see how miserable they are. You wont because you already know the results and then you would fire everyone for it afterwards. Consider caring about your staff just a little more. It is not all about numbers. AP has a ton of potential but there are some in place now that will be the downfall of AP. They will run it into the ground. Open your eyes as it has already started. CARE ABOUT YOUR STAFF!!!

AP is a Five Star Train Wreck

Former Employee - Director, University Sales
    Former Employee - Director, University Sales

I worked at Academic Partnerships full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay is what you might expect for a company focused solely on sales; average to slightly above average. There are still some professional, quality minded employees who work at AP. On a daily basis they do their best to serve their university and their students to the highest quality standards; however, these employees are fewer and far between as many have chosen to leave while many more continue to be fired.

Cons

Hostile work environment, disdain for quality employees, lack of innovative thinking, and management who manage by fear, intimidation, and coercion. One reviewer wrote employees are let go due to poor performance. Don't believe it. Turnover is high because of the hostile work environment created and enforced by all levels of management. It starts at the very top with Mr. Best and trickles all the way down through his yes-men rank and file. It has corroded this company to the core, yet, questionable personnel decidedly claw their way into management positions, conspiring with senior personnel for personal gain.

Character assassination and sabotage of peers have become the status quo. Daily occurrences include misrepresentation, gossip, and innuendo. Exceptional employees are adversely labeled and then fired. Remaining personnel hear stories from Senior Management that their colleague(s) resigned, when in actuality they were forced out. Why? For what purpose? It is inexplicable, as management never holds itself accountable to anyone, for anything. They take no responsibility for their illogical and reactive decisions, they ignore the toxic reality they've created, and they refuse to listen to the truth from employees who still care.

Care about an innovative, proactive work environment? Keep looking because you won't find it here. The only innovation at AP is the creative gloss-over of empty sales promises pitched to attract new university clients. Antiquated telemarketing tactics, dialing a student multiple times per day; these are acts of desperation, not innovation, and are tantamount to harassment. You won't have to dig deep, just look carefully below the surface to realize that the risk of associating with AP is born by the employee and the university client.

Personnel who speak up about these concerns, out of concerns for sub-par student and university representation, out of concerns for colleagues, and those who do not tow the party line, put a target on their back and are at risk of being the next employee kicked to the curb. The deceitful business practices and the sadistic, cutthroat culture of this company are deplorable. Morale has hit rock bottom. It is an absolute shame what AP has become.

For your piece of mind, if you care about the quality of your work, if you care about your client and about your professional reputation, than do not join the downtrodden ranks of AP.

Stop firing your best and brightest. Take responsibility for your actions rather than discrediting and shaming your employees. Create a proactive rather than reactive environment. Start taking advice from employees who still care about the work they are doing and the universities they are representing before you completely drive your gravy-train off the tracks.

Non-professional Work Atmosphre

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Academic Partnerships full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They pay on time and have good parking benefits (so if that is all then you know the cons will be bad)

Cons

This is the only place I have worked in the last 25 years that made me sign an agreement that I would not wear jeans to work unless the day was was "authorized" to do so. This is just a sampling of the ridiculous workplace requirements.

Lighten up, this is 2015, let folks dress professionally, whether in slacks, dockers or jeans.

Academic Partnerships Response

Jan 13, 2015Manager, Recruiting & HR Services

Thanks for your feedback. We hope you enjoyed your working experience at Academic Partnerships. While our environment is business casual dress , we do enjoys Jeans Days on Fridays on a fairly regular ... More

AP Review

Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Dallas, TX

I worked at Academic Partnerships as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I worked for AP from May 2014 until Oct 2014 when I was offered another position in the path I wanted to go. First things first, I LOVED AP!!! From the environment of the office to the managers and TL's. The chemistry and bond within the office is amazing, and made it hard for me to leave. They were a family based company, who had an open door policy with their employees. As this was my first Corp. America job, AP really was a learning experience for me. The pay was good, and they really worked well with understanding taking days off and family issues. The work was not hard or stressful, and the training was amazing. For myself since I was new to this type of work, after training I felt like a pro - and that does not happen at many companies!!! They gave me realistic goals to meet; along with making sure it was not overwhelmed, seeing that I was new and still learning the ropes of the business. The changes, just like any other company comes, but it does not come with warning nor explainations - which I liked. As far as bonding, AP gets a goal medal for that. They have the home agents come in once a week as well as have Town Hall meetings for everyone to attend, and monthly luncheons - so that everyone gets familiar with each other and you're not just transferring calls to unknow individuals. The last detail that I really enjoyed from AP were the coaching opportunities. They did not wait until you were on the last leg to coach you. If they felt it was something you could be working on, a flaw in your delivery, or even an area where they saw a chance of improvement for you, they would address it then. They were not about letting coaching opportunities build up and days go by, but handling the issue at the given time. That way it would be fresh on your mind, the situation is still new, and you can actual recall what it is they are speaking on. It was really a tough decision for me to leave, but I had to make it. If you are looking for a great office atmosphere, wonderful learning opportunities, and a stress-free environment, AP is the place for you!!!

Cons

I really did not have negative opinions about AP. I mean you work on Saturday's - if your schedule is set that way, or you can work for overtime. However, even working on Saturday's were not horrible. It is only from 9AM to 2PM. So, you still have the rest of your Saturday left.

My advice to management would be don't fix what is not broken. Since I've left I know the launch of Workforce has been released, and the micro-management has begun. I think the office is great just how it is. I feel you all should continue with running the office the way you have been, and get ready for serious growth. Thank you for everything you have taught me, and continue to lead by example!!!

Do not waste your time!

Former Employee - Management in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Management in Dallas, TX

I worked at Academic Partnerships full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Base salary is pretty decent. The office is centrally located downtown with a lot of amenities.

Cons

There is a serious lack of diversity with leadership. Minorities do not feel they have a chance at growing with the company because the only internal promotions employees see are those that fit a specific demographic. Over 60% of call center employees are minority which sends a bad message when the top of the organization is the complete opposite. Everyone sees the lack of diversity and knows it is an issue but upper management is unwilling to address.

Not only is the lack of diversity an issue, inclusion is as well. At times, important key players are not brought to the table who should be involved when decisions are being made which creates serious a disconnect. There is a lack of value placed in non-sales roles. Do not expect to have a strategic voice here. You are told to execute what upper manager expects and work as administrators no matter how experienced or educated your background.

There are inconsistencies with compensation when it comes to bonus pay and stock options. Again, those in certain roles and demographics mainly reap the benefit of additional compensation and stock options.

Female employees, no matter the role or level in the company are often treated with great disrespect from male counterparts with no consequences. A lot of employees would agree that the company operates in the "good 'ol boy" system.

Learn how to value all roles, races and genders within the organization because everyone plays a part in growing the company. Embrace diversity and inclusion. Times have changed. Study successful global organizations who have embraced diversity and inclusion and you can learn a few things that will make Academic Partnerships more profitable. Also, appreciate your employees beyond doing a newsletter and volunteering opportunities. Employees want to feel they matter beyond a raffle ticket and getting a little time off to collect cans for the needy.

Marketing Professional

I worked at Academic Partnerships full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some employees are nice and helpful. Monthly free lunch.

Cons

Upper management is awful. They will do anything, if it means getting rid of an employee, to make sure their friends have a job. Management sits at their desk all day and go through their employee email to found mistakes. They dictate instead of manage people.

Make sure you have people in management positions that can manage and guide their employees to the next level. Stop hiring upper management that makes decisions on emotions and that does not care about their employees! The worst company I ever worked for!

Used car salesman laugh at their ethics

I worked at Academic Partnerships

Pros

Wow..look at those big, shiny office towers! The buffet at the Petroleum Club rocks!

Cons

Left on own accord. I felt the need to bathe after every interaction.

Advice to the arrogant is wasted

Worst Corporate Office I have ever worked with!

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Academic Partnerships full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The specific job was a great one. I loved the position. Pay was good.

Cons

Angry, abusive, and back stabbing managment whose "motivation" style was to threaten people telling them how worthless they are even when they were achieiving above and beyond their goals. Promotions relied on the good ol boy system NOT qualifications or performence records. Company starts over every six months with new "vision" throwing personnell into total chaos because of firings and new hires. Morale is the worst I have ever seen in my life! The turnover borders on the absurd. The money they have lost because of this is scarey.

To the owner: You have some chamelions in your midts. They lie to you every day and then turn around and talk about you behind your back. Stop firing people who are telling you what you dont want to hear. They are the ones you need to keep. Get rid of the YES people. The nasty brutality you have allowed to permiate your company is losing you money every day. This company had great potential, but will lose in the end because the way it treats the producers. Your micromanaging is ruining this company, because everyone is too scared to tell you what you dont want to hear. Try to find someone are able to trust if at all possible and back out.

Academic Partnerships Photos