Academic Partnerships

Updated December 3, 2014
Updated December 3, 2014
2.5

Randy Best

Pros
  • AP is a great learning experience; I was hired with little experience in sales and Higher Education (in 5 reviews)

• Great office space located in the Plaza of the Americas (Downtown Dallas) (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • High turnover, culture of fear, senior leadership turns over constantly, and CEO seem completely out of touch with the business (in 3 reviews)

• Read these reviews on here again (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

AP is a Five Star Train Wreck

Former Employee - Director, University Sales
    Former Employee - Director, University Sales

I worked at Academic Partnerships full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay is what you might expect for a company focused solely on sales; average to slightly above average. There are still some professional, quality minded employees who work at AP. On a daily basis they do their best to serve their university and their students to the highest quality standards; however, these employees are fewer and far between as many have chosen to leave while many more continue to be fired.

Cons

Hostile work environment, disdain for quality employees, lack of innovative thinking, and management who manage by fear, intimidation, and coercion. One reviewer wrote employees are let go due to poor performance. Don't believe it. Turnover is high because of the hostile work environment created and enforced by all levels of management. It starts at the very top with Mr. Best and trickles all the way down through his yes-men rank and file. It has corroded this company to the core, yet, questionable personnel decidedly claw their way into management positions, conspiring with senior personnel for personal gain.

Character assassination and sabotage of peers have become the status quo. Daily occurrences include misrepresentation, gossip, and innuendo. Exceptional employees are adversely labeled and then fired. Remaining personnel hear stories from Senior Management that their colleague(s) resigned, when in actuality they were forced out. Why? For what purpose? It is inexplicable, as management never holds itself accountable to anyone, for anything. They take no responsibility for their illogical and reactive decisions, they ignore the toxic reality they've created, and they refuse to listen to the truth from employees who still care.

Care about an innovative, proactive work environment? Keep looking because you won't find it here. The only innovation at AP is the creative gloss-over of empty sales promises pitched to attract new university clients. Antiquated telemarketing tactics, dialing a student multiple times per day; these are acts of desperation, not innovation, and are tantamount to harassment. You won't have to dig deep, just look carefully below the surface to realize that the risk of associating with AP is born by the employee and the university client.

Personnel who speak up about these concerns, out of concerns for sub-par student and university representation, out of concerns for colleagues, and those who do not tow the party line, put a target on their back and are at risk of being the next employee kicked to the curb. The deceitful business practices and the sadistic, cutthroat culture of this company are deplorable. Morale has hit rock bottom. It is an absolute shame what AP has become.

For your piece of mind, if you care about the quality of your work, if you care about your client and about your professional reputation, than do not join the downtrodden ranks of AP.

Stop firing your best and brightest. Take responsibility for your actions rather than discrediting and shaming your employees. Create a proactive rather than reactive environment. Start taking advice from employees who still care about the work they are doing and the universities they are representing before you completely drive your gravy-train off the tracks.

AP Review

Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Dallas, TX

I worked at Academic Partnerships as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I worked for AP from May 2014 until Oct 2014 when I was offered another position in the path I wanted to go. First things first, I LOVED AP!!! From the environment of the office to the managers and TL's. The chemistry and bond within the office is amazing, and made it hard for me to leave. They were a family based company, who had an open door policy with their employees. As this was my first Corp. America job, AP really was a learning experience for me. The pay was good, and they really worked well with understanding taking days off and family issues. The work was not hard or stressful, and the training was amazing. For myself since I was new to this type of work, after training I felt like a pro - and that does not happen at many companies!!! They gave me realistic goals to meet; along with making sure it was not overwhelmed, seeing that I was new and still learning the ropes of the business. The changes, just like any other company comes, but it does not come with warning nor explainations - which I liked. As far as bonding, AP gets a goal medal for that. They have the home agents come in once a week as well as have Town Hall meetings for everyone to attend, and monthly luncheons - so that everyone gets familiar with each other and you're not just transferring calls to unknow individuals. The last detail that I really enjoyed from AP were the coaching opportunities. They did not wait until you were on the last leg to coach you. If they felt it was something you could be working on, a flaw in your delivery, or even an area where they saw a chance of improvement for you, they would address it then. They were not about letting coaching opportunities build up and days go by, but handling the issue at the given time. That way it would be fresh on your mind, the situation is still new, and you can actual recall what it is they are speaking on. It was really a tough decision for me to leave, but I had to make it. If you are looking for a great office atmosphere, wonderful learning opportunities, and a stress-free environment, AP is the place for you!!!

Cons

I really did not have negative opinions about AP. I mean you work on Saturday's - if your schedule is set that way, or you can work for overtime. However, even working on Saturday's were not horrible. It is only from 9AM to 2PM. So, you still have the rest of your Saturday left.

My advice to management would be don't fix what is not broken. Since I've left I know the launch of Workforce has been released, and the micro-management has begun. I think the office is great just how it is. I feel you all should continue with running the office the way you have been, and get ready for serious growth. Thank you for everything you have taught me, and continue to lead by example!!!

Marketing Professional

I worked at Academic Partnerships full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some employees are nice and helpful. Monthly free lunch.

Cons

Upper management is awful. They will do anything, if it means getting rid of an employee, to make sure their friends have a job. Management sits at their desk all day and go through their employee email to found mistakes. They dictate instead of manage people.

Make sure you have people in management positions that can manage and guide their employees to the next level. Stop hiring upper management that makes decisions on emotions and that does not care about their employees! The worst company I ever worked for!

Used car salesman laugh at their ethics

I worked at Academic Partnerships

Pros

Wow..look at those big, shiny office towers! The buffet at the Petroleum Club rocks!

Cons

Left on own accord. I felt the need to bathe after every interaction.

Advice to the arrogant is wasted

The changes have been for the positive if you come here and want to work

I have been working at Academic Partnerships full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have to say and I know others feel the same but the last several months even with all the changes have finally had some direction structure and consistency in leadership. I like the improved feedback I receive on performance and a spirit of purpose, helping towards building my goals and developing. nothing is ever perfect but the 3 or 4 months are very positive if you come to work to work and help students.

Cons

if you do not like having a goal and working to improve then you would have a hard time now. I have seen lots of things over time but at like now it seems consistent on direction. I think leadership is improving and feel it around me

some recent hires of new people and my leadership in particular I appreciate. it is nice to come to work and feel motivated and valued. not perfect all the time but you have to be happy with yourself. John seems to know the business so a good leader means a good follower. thanks for thinking of improvements and keeping our spirits high. town hall was very interactive and John and Ron are cool leaders

Worst Corporate Office I have ever worked with!

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Academic Partnerships full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The specific job was a great one. I loved the position. Pay was good.

Cons

Angry, abusive, and back stabbing managment whose "motivation" style was to threaten people telling them how worthless they are even when they were achieiving above and beyond their goals. Promotions relied on the good ol boy system NOT qualifications or performence records. Company starts over every six months with new "vision" throwing personnell into total chaos because of firings and new hires. Morale is the worst I have ever seen in my life! The turnover borders on the absurd. The money they have lost because of this is scarey.

To the owner: You have some chamelions in your midts. They lie to you every day and then turn around and talk about you behind your back. Stop firing people who are telling you what you dont want to hear. They are the ones you need to keep. Get rid of the YES people. The nasty brutality you have allowed to permiate your company is losing you money every day. This company had great potential, but will lose in the end because the way it treats the producers. Your micromanaging is ruining this company, because everyone is too scared to tell you what you dont want to hear. Try to find someone are able to trust if at all possible and back out.

If you like a fast pace & innovation - this company is perfect for you!

Current Employee - Vice President in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Vice President in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Academic Partnerships full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent pay and plenty of opportunities for the individuals who work hard and are flexible. Being innovative means always being ahead of the next trend and it requires flexibility and responding positively to change.

Cons

On-boarding is improving. Since there is always so much work to do, it is important to remember to pace yourself so you do not forget to make time for family and other personal commitments.

Continue to share updates and new innovations/projects. The town hall meetings are fun, informative, and help keep the positive energy up!

Don't understand all the negative reviews...AP is hard work but it's worth it!

Current Employee - Team Lead in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Academic Partnerships full-time (more than an year)

Pros

AP is a great learning experience; I was hired with little experience in sales and Higher Education. The folks in Retention took a chance on me and I'm thankful for them.

Cons

There's alot of work; our jobs change from time to time but it's not anything that we can't handle.

Keep the Town Hall Meetings...They are so fun. The raffles are the best. Ron should host a TV show! He's crazy fun!

Unethical Company that should shut down!!!!

Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Academic Partnerships full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The honest employees and pay.

Cons

They laidoff some good and loyal employees and are currently demoting. Also, the whistleblowers they quickly laid them off and are not eligible for rehire.

Keep the loyal employees and get rid of the bad weeds.

Academic Partnerships Response

Oct 7, 2014Manager, Recruiting & HR Services

Thank you for the feedback. We value and appreciate hearing from both current and former employees. Based on your review, we encourage you to reach out to Human Resources or a member of our ... More

Innovation ... I came back to AP to innovate again after a great first run....

Current Employee - New Business Development in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - New Business Development in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Academic Partnerships full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This place takes risks on behalf of students and universities. Innovation is tough work and sometimes there are times when you fail. Failure is part of growth and I want to be a part of a company that is out there taking risks based on our core principles of access, affordability, and quality. Tenacity is key and AP doesn't stop until we make it work for students and our university partners.....

Cons

If you don't like change or risk, this is not the place for you. Higher ed is changing fast, and there needs to be companies that are out there working to help figure out new models that provide access for students and sustainability for universities.

On boarding training could improve and in the midst of innovation, a little more stability in people management is always a good thing.

Academic Partnerships Photos