Academic Partnerships

Updated September 14, 2014
Updated September 14, 2014
2.3

Randy Best

Fast-paced environment. Lots of Moving Parts.

Current Employee - Enrollment Specialist  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Academic Partnerships full-time for more than a year

Pros

Colleagues are friendly and outgoing; location of downtown Dallas is great for commute; company paid parking. Flexible hours. Minimal overtime. Never a dull moment. Really like the COO and CFO. Good pay.

Cons

Company directions changes quite frequently. Recently changed 401K contribution structure. Not alot of interaction with CEO or management from the Ross office. Need more communication.

I think we need to have more defined incentive plans and a long-term communication around strategy. More company events. Bring back the 401K matching. Maybe even have jeans on Fridays or even casual dress when we dont have customers in the office.

Innovation ... I came back to AP to innovate again after a great first run....

Current Employee - New Business Development  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - New Business Development in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Academic Partnerships full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This place takes risks on behalf of students and universities. Innovation is tough work and sometimes there are times when you fail. Failure is part of growth and I want to be a part of a company that is out there taking risks based on our core principles of access, affordability, and quality. Tenacity is key and AP doesn't stop until we make it work for students and our university partners.....

Cons

If you don't like change or risk, this is not the place for you. Higher ed is changing fast, and there needs to be companies that are out there working to help figure out new models that provide access for students and sustainability for universities.

On boarding training could improve and in the midst of innovation, a little more stability in people management is always a good thing.

Proud to work with Randy Best and Proud to work with State U

I have been working at Academic Partnerships full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

We deliver for our clients in a major way. All of the press in the space is about 2U right now but don't lose sight of what we have done...enrolling 90,000 students in affordable programs is a substantial feat. Working for Randy is thrilling because he has the guts to go for it when others don't. He puts you in amazing positions professionally that develop you. Working with him alone is reason to be at AP. If you work alongside him- there is no doubt that you will grow in a million ways. I am very proud to work with my clients and the pay and upward mobility are both excellent. The people on here who are commenting on the economics don't fully understand the model. What we deliver for what we charge is amazing. 50% of low priced, public university degrees is not what you think it is...

Cons

Turnover. As I read these reviews, I find myself frustrated yet understanding of the comments. Turnover makes developing new employees difficult because the new leaders are not as experienced as they should be but at the same time, most of our turnover is a result of poor performance on the part of the employee and therefore it needs to be done. Customer relationships would benefit from the end of the turnover for sure. To change the churn, could mean slowing down and not doing bold risky things. That may benefit us at times. But, that is not who we are, so asking for it is not realistic. Reading these reviews reminds me that nobody wants to be accountable these days. All that said, the churn is definitely a business challenge.

Keep doing what you are doing but be thoughtful while making hires to ensure the right moves are made and the right people are selected. If we can reduce the churn- this place is great and our work product is very good for our clients!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A train with no engineers going full speed toward a bridge that's already fallen into the river.

Former Employee - Employee
    Former Employee - Employee

I worked at Academic Partnerships full-time

Pros

The original mission was to help more students get a college education.

Cons

Leadership is non-existent. Management is characterized by a pathological narcissist with an ego so big he promotes his own website devoted to his own philanthropic activities. AP doesn't have an office culture. It's the boss's way or the highway. This individual gets up every morning, comes up with ideas that are well beyond realistic scope and any hope of success; implements these ideas within hours; and then repeats the cycle the next day. Unfortunately, the leader's Southern gentry and folksy communication style with potential customers and outsiders is replaced by a non-compromising tyrant and bully to staff and employees who are all too often given unrealistic goals to achieve and very little time to prove themselves. Largely because of this leadership style and a true culture of fear, the company doesn't have any strategic plan or any sense of direction for its constantly revolving door of employees. No less than 4 different presidents have held that position in 4 years, but they only answer to the supreme leader who micromanages the company with every minor detail. Employees constantly are looking over their shoulders in consideration of being fired like most of their predecessors. Employees also are largely hired into top-heavy positions that sound important and which supposedly sound good to colleges and universities that are sold into forking over high percentages of tuition to AP's continually decreasing services and lack of customer service. The company's mantra of "under promise and over deliver" is at most a joke, and at the least is never realized due to its deplorable track record of endless personnel changes and mission changes. Training, mentoring, career paths, and bonuses beyond the original compensation packages are all non-existent. A "hire 'em, try 'em out, and fire 'em" management philosophy is the norm in this culture where "gun slinger" sales people are forced to camp out at colleges and universities on a weekly basis. This is looked at with a high level of disdain by university officials, who simply don't have the time to entertain AP employees on a frequent basis. Sadly, many very competent and highly educated professionals walk into this company with high hopes and a belief that they can do great things in online higher education. These hopes, however, are quickly dashed as numerous "Black Fridays" occur, dozens of employees are let go at the same time, and then the latest hiring binge re-occurs to bring in new blood, sweat, and tears. If you want to work somewhere for a short time to get some experience in helping colleges get a footing in distance education, feel free to join the frenzy, but understand the sharks here are big and are always circling the boat.

Get out the business.

I'd rather be homeless than work at AP again

I worked at Academic Partnerships full-time

Pros

This is an incredibly fascinating industry with strong growth potential. The mission of the company is on-point and there are a couple of top-notch individuals left.

Cons

The culture and unethical nature of the company completely takes away from the positive impact AP intends to make on students and Universities. Unfortunately, the only thing the CEO and Senior Leadership care about is the money that goes into their own pockets. Employees? Students? Partners? Who are they? What does well-being mean? As long as the numbers are solid, that is all the matters. Employees are treated and talked about as if they are mechanical robots, only there to perform a function and obtain enrollments. The leadership team is terrible. Their focus only revolves around dollar signs and feeding their overly-inflated egos. AP had some really passionate and talented employees, however, they have all left and the few that remain are hoping to get out of there as soon as humanly possible. I will be truly impressed if the company remains in business for much longer after witnessing so many unethical business practices during my time there. Working for this company completely demoralized me as a person. I couldn’t stand to promote what they do, as all of it felt so completely wrong in so many different ways. Since moving on and settling into a new organization, it is so refreshing to see that after a traumatizing experience at AP, there are still wonderful companies out there that truly care about their employees and treat them as such. I wouldn’t wish working for this place upon my worst enemy. The turnover speaks for itself. There are many inside jokes among employees: They refer to their tenure in “dog years”, because it is so rare for an employee to stick around for more than a year or two, at most. Also, the Enrollment Center is compared to a prison, where every minute of your day is tracked and you must get permission from the warden to use the restroom or go to lunch. The only way this company is going to be able to attract new employees is to seek out those who are unemployed and desperate.

Throw yourself out of the equation for once and respect the opinions of the innovative employees that you have. Let them exercise their potential and give people a shot before you turn them over. Try keeping a senior leadership team member for more than two years to give them a chance to make an impact. Cherish employees at all levels that have passion and drive and work with them to help them develop. This means learning by mistakes, but how do people become successful otherwise? With one or two exceptions, all of the Senior Executive team members are cold and isolated in their interactions and don’t care about the big picture aside from numbers. Employees are all miserable and frustrated and therefore speak to each other in an incredibly poor and condescending manner. It would take nothing short of a miracle to turn this company around.

Disheartening

Current Employee - Enrollment Specialist  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Academic Partnerships full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great colleagues, some of the best in the industry.

Cons

Irresponsible and incompetent upper management.

Value your employees, invest in them.

Decline any offers from AP!

Former Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Academic Partnerships full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Getting out was the best thing I've done.

Cons

High turnover and they pay people on here to write 5 star reviews.

Sell the business.

Good story, good space, good pay, but direction and people change constantly.

I have been working at Academic Partnerships full-time

Pros

It's an exciting time to be in the higher education online marketing business. AP pays high salaries, has a good track record, and a compelling story.

Cons

Extremely high turnover and constant change breeds culture of fear so this opportunity may not be for everyone. All decisions are made by CEO, so if you're looking for team spirit and collaboration you may want to look elsewhere.

Build a successful management team you can trust, empower them to make decisions, and work collaboratively to shape future ideas. Spend more time hiring and developing the right people to reduce excessive turnover that impairs company morale. Work hard to make AP an enjoyable place to work and not just a job that pays the bills.

Lack of direction and no strategic plan

I worked at Academic Partnerships full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

High base compensation, great office location, there are some really talented people here this is a very good business proposition at least in the US side

Cons

High turnover, culture of fear, senior leadership turns over constantly, and CEO seem completely out of touch with the business. Lack of increases and bonus

You hire talented people and then let them go, it makes no sense. It is clear you don't know what to do so let the smart people you hire run the company.

My experience

I have been working at Academic Partnerships

Pros

close to home, work is easy and great team of employees

Cons

Management has no clue what they are doing. This place needs structure and stability

Listen to your employee and reward them.

Worked for Academic Partnerships? Contribute to the Community!