Academy Bank

Updated Jun 20, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

John Carmichael

Great place to get some experience in banking, but they don't treat their employees very well

Assistant Banking Center Manager (Former Employee)

ProsLearned the banking business, benefits were ok, some coworkers were very easy to get along with, it's nice to be able to help customers with issues

ConsReally substandard pay for Personal Bankers(tellers) and management, training was useless and had to learn by doing, 401k is unmatched unless you work there for 5+ years, upper management has no idea what their doing, some lazy coworkers, no opportunity for advancement past lower management, worked 60+ hours a week as a manager, and got no overtime because I was salaried

Advice to Senior ManagementStop taking a "fliers only" approach to marketing, use consultative approach to sales instead of "sell all the customers all the things or you're fired!'

Academy Bank - become informed

Banking Center Manager (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsNothing, bank based on employee and customer churn.

ConsTraining and on-boarding process not what was promised during interview. Is a "second chance" bank, targeting Walmart shoppers and employees. Majority of customers financial approach is to operate in overdraft area. Most customers could not get another bank account anywhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdmit the type on bank and clientele that is in reality. Don't lie to prospective employees, find a way to retain tenured employees (over 5 years) - horrible turnover problem.

Too Many Sales for the salary

ProsThe insurance, 401k, mileage reimbursement

ConsHours, Sales, senior management, poor coaching

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Last Chance Stop for both Employees and Customers

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsVery easy to get hired and get "management experience" to add to your resume - then you can get a job at a real bank. Only bank in town in which a G.E.D. is sufficient education to become a "Banking Center Manager."

Cons55+ Hours per week expected by mgmt, "2nd Chance Checking" means "Last Chance Checking." You'll be dealing almost exclusively with people who cannot responsibly manage a bank account, chronically overdraw, then come in to threaten and berate you over their fees - which you're not allowed to refund. Constant efforts by customers to defraud the bank - you wager your job on every single check that you accept, and there is no built-in protection for employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe talented and educated employees are always the ones who quit. The dullards stick around. That should trigger some sort of thought process.

Dissatisfied

Personal Banker (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsWere there any? That's a very good question. They provided training opportunities and, due to high turnover, management opportunities are certainly more prevalent.

ConsHigh turnover, lack of proper oversight, lack of competitive pay, bad management - the good employees frequently leave to work at other, more profitable banks.

A great learning experience, and fun work environment

Personal Banker (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsCo-workers, environment, and very fun management

ConsHours are a bit much at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaises

A horrible company to work for.

Branch Manager (Former Employee) Castle Rock, CO

ProsThe benefits were very nice (medical, dental, vision.) Working four 10-hour days and having three days off (but usually split up.)

ConsUpper management was horrible at giving feedback when it was due. Upper management could also care less about the well-being of there employees. Working all of the holidays.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like customers because management treats them worse then customers. Some senior staff members need to grow a heart to care about there staff.

Treats employees like they are disposable

Branch Manager (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits, 401k, Good starter job for experance.

ConsLikes to build you up so they can tear you down. Any time they want to give you "critique" (no matter how good you do) they will tell you a few things you are doing good. When they get to anything they think you could work on....THEY RIP YOU A NEW ONE. It is not constructive at all!!! Long hours and could care less whether you work 7 days a week.(If you are on salary) They have a saying "Coach them up or Coach them out." BAD PAY/Turnover/

Advice to Senior ManagementGive constructive critique. Yelling at me will not help fix the problem or get me closer to a solution. You are never come around. If you paid a little more and treat us good, it would be better for the employees and the customers. A happy employee is more productive.

A good starter job, not a long term career

Branch Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGood Environment, Knowlegeable and friendly staff at the headquarters

ConsLow Pay, Non-traditional hours, high turnover,constantly changing policies, middle management often lacks mangement skills.

Good place to work - not a career company.

Teller/Personal Banker (Current Employee)

ProsPay is decent for a starter position. Company is flexible with days off and hours.

ConsYou have to wear a white collared shirt on the weekends, which the company does not provide. The training program is nearly nonexistent. Getting support from management is difficult when you have questions on how to process transactions (and you usually do because the training is terrible).

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't make the collared white shirt mandatory unless you're going to provide some kind of compensation for the cost to keep the white shirts clean. We are marketing by popping popcorn, passing out popsicles, and other messy activities. If you insist on us wearing the same things, you should provide us with company shirts. It would also be helpful if you had a set training program for your new employees.

Worked for Academy Bank? Contribute to the Community!