Academy Sports & Outdoors Reviews

Reset
3.1
Academy Sports & Outdoors President Rodney Faldyn
Rodney Faldyn

Pros
  • 20% employee discount and 6% 401K match (in 25 reviews)

• get to see all the lastest with a 20% discount (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • team leads, managers act like children (in 25 reviews)

• Pay isnt worth the amount of work you do, point system is a good idea that was poorly executed (in 18 reviews)

1. A great company to work for part-time, with adequate mobility upwards!

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Academy Sports & Outdoors part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company/atmosphere to work in for a part time worker. 20% discount on merchandise purchased in store, right as I left this discount became applicable to clearance merchandise as well!

Cons

Upward mobility was definitely lacking at my store, but still was somewhat obtainable with time and "playing the game." Management was constantly shuffled around, which made team cohesion at lower levels very important to continue performing well.

Advice to Management

Shuffling managers was an interesting and rather beneficial technique, but perhaps pushing the time between shuffles further would allow for a full adjustment and implementation of new strategies to drive sales and performance upwards.

2. Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Frisco, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Frisco, TX

I have been working at Academy Sports & Outdoors full-time

Pros

Atmosphere is great. Family Friendly Work Environment. Close Relationships with entire team. Ability to make decisions based on numerous variables. Ability to get paid sick time.

Cons

Low starting pay for management. Senior Team Leads and Team Leads also have lower pay scale. Senior Team Lead responsibilities and even team lead responsibilities limited.

3. Overall good company.

Current Employee - Omnichannel Ecommerce Inventory Specialist in Katy, TX
    Current Employee - Omnichannel Ecommerce Inventory Specialist in Katy, TX

I have been working at Academy Sports & Outdoors full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most departments are flexible to personal needs so it is a good place for young people just starting a family to start a career also. Many employees are very health conscious. Staff is mostly warm and welcoming. They have an on site gym with trainers and classes and have very good cafeterias.

Cons

Raises at academy are not typically up to par with other companies. They give more to outside new hires than they do to people they have promoted from within. Procedures seem to be more reactive rather than proactive.

5. Apparel Associate

Former Employee - Apparel Associate in Spring, TX
    Former Employee - Apparel Associate in Spring, TX

I worked at Academy Sports & Outdoors

Pros

Flexible with work schedule, positive work environment, decent managers depending on the store, store employee discounts are decent

Cons

Apparel section is constantly getting messed up, each section of store is a different department and different manager, no sitting during work hours

Advice to Management

Better organized between departments, better uniform system of operating between stores, better store employee discounts, better enforcement of return policy

6. Customer Service Cashier

Current Employee - Customer Service Cashier in Rosenberg, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Cashier in Rosenberg, TX

I have been working at Academy Sports & Outdoors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work here as a customer service cashier, my first full time job with benefits. Pros are there are some friendly co workers, you get a 30 minute or a 1 hour break. At the end of the month they provide lunch for us. You get a 20% off discount. I get health benefits, anywhere from 32-40 hours a week. Two days off. It's a pretty easy job.

Cons

The worst part of this job is the drama! It's like the managers don't even realize what goes on in the front end. There is major favoritism going on too. My team leads are all girls and there is only one of them who is sweet and I like working with. One of them is always on my back about everything and she gets on my last nerve and I constantly feel harassed from her. The other two are very bossy and rude. They think they can get away with what ever they want and not only does academy have a huge customer theft problem but also one with employee theft. I feel constantly that I'm the only one who ever stays on my register and actually works. Even with my fellow customer service co workers. Everyone is lazy and just leaves their register and walks around while I'm always stuck being the one who is doing all the work and checking every customer out. I try to stay happy and positive but with all the nonsense that goes on with my upper management it is real hard. Especially when I have tons of rude customers! Some throw huge fits if they don't get their way and the managers and team leads always say "just do it" and they let people return what ever they want! Old dirty boots and things that have been worn, used, destroyed with no receipt. I been here over a year and I've seen everything and I know how this place works and it's kind of a shame. I feel academy is a good company to work for but the only good person in my building is my store director. The rest of the management is really horrible. I know other employees who feel the same way I do and I bet there is even more unspoken of.

Advice to Management

I don't know what it's like in other stores that I don't work in but in the store that I do work in, it really needs some new management to come and turn this place around so that everyone feels equal and that the employees are actually made to work and not get to do whatever they want and walk around and be lazy, how is that fair that some workers work so hard for the same pay that the lazy ones get by doing nothing. & if you're a favorite of a team lead or manager you will not have to do anything anyways because all I ever see is them talking and sitting in the managers booth on the computer.

7. Studio Operations Supervisor

Former Employee - Studio Operations Supervisor in Katy, TX
    Former Employee - Studio Operations Supervisor in Katy, TX

I worked at Academy Sports & Outdoors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Life / Work balance and fellow associates make the days enjoyable; the work is continually changing to keep things fresh.

Cons

Salary can be below average for most positions; growing pains within the company as it transitions from a smaller privately held company to a larger company (to be expected, but it is a bit of a draw back)

Advice to Management

More open communication between departments would be helpful!

8. Academy Sports

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager Softlines
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager Softlines

I have been working at Academy Sports & Outdoors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work. Competitive pay and great benefits.

Cons

Just now changing over to contemporary systems

9. sales associate

I have been working at Academy Sports & Outdoors full-time

Pros

this company is very flexible with school and second jobs.

Cons

the only problem is that the work hours are inconsistent.

Advice to Management

Doing A GREAT JOB!!!

10. Operations Senior team lead

I have been working at Academy Sports & Outdoors full-time

Pros

Compared to other retailers a great place to work. Great discounts and friendly staff

Cons

A few systems need to be updated

11. Receiving Associate

Current Employee - Receiving Associate in Kannapolis, NC
    Current Employee - Receiving Associate in Kannapolis, NC

I have been working at Academy Sports & Outdoors part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good employees and practically everything you would ever want in terms of product and prices. Opportunity for advancement comes monthly but only because of high turnover.

Cons

Terrible hours. If you are a receiving associate, be ready to be in at 4am. Not to mention you'll only work 3 days a week and for an even more terrible wage. Management IS as bad or worse than everyone says. Sorely understaffed.

Advice to Management

Understand that your employees are people....with families.....and kids......and payments....JUST LIKE YOU.

RSS Feed </> Embed