Academy Sports & Outdoors Reviews

Updated August 25, 2014
Updated August 25, 2014

Academy Sports & Outdoors President Rodney Faldyn
Rodney Faldyn

Pros
  • Employee discount is better than most places, co workers are awesome (in 18 reviews)

• flexible schedule, generally easy job, work with team of people (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Management structure is a joke (useless senior team lead position) (in 22 reviews)

• Ridiculous point system, were if your part time you can never call in sick (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Job

I worked at Academy Sports & Outdoors full-time

Pros

they are willing to give good hours

Cons

all sales associates that has been at the job longer than you have, thinks they are a manager.

Solid Company to Work for.

Current Employee - Global Sourcing Coordinator  in  Katy, TX
    Current Employee - Global Sourcing Coordinator in Katy, TX

I have been working at Academy Sports & Outdoors full-time for more than a year

Pros

Consistency, organized structure, opportunity to diversify career. Compensation is competitive. Company cares about employees.

Cons

Company may be trying to hard to be corporate. Needs to identify its own culture. Not a lot of room for advancement in Sourcing areas.

Small benefits such as giving Christmas Eve & Black Friday off will go along way among employees.

I love the variety of the options in the store. I can get almost anything I need there for sports.

I worked at Academy Sports & Outdoors

Pros

Discounts!! leadership, life-work balance, flexible with schedule,

Cons

Even with discounts prices are a bit high. There will always be that one person who makes your work place hard.

Keep a good mind set, its a great opportunity to work there! Great team members and a great addition to your career journey!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a hard job, but Management is not inspiring. Very High Turnover.

Current Employee - Team Sports Sales Associate  in  Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Team Sports Sales Associate in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Academy Sports & Outdoors part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you need a part time job, it's generally pretty easy to get hired. The work isn't hard if you're not a moron. Pay is decent if you negotiate when you're hired. Harder jobs do generally get paid more, though only if you know ahead of time they're harder and ask for the extra pay. Employee Discount is awesome if you like any of the things the store sell, especially on Guns and ammo.

Cons

Management structure is pants on head retarded, and doesn't really feel effective. Hours are generally long and if you close, you can expect to be at work till midnight every night. Customers suck. Turnover is atrocious, especially in Footwear, as that department is a nightmare and is poorly run in most cases.

Make a better effort to train your employees. Make a better effort to retain good employees. Offer better wages to middle management and long term employees so you aren't constantly having to hire newbies.

Not the best but not the worst

I worked at Academy Sports & Outdoors part-time for less than a year

Pros

Having somewhere to go , give you a lot of chances after mistakes

Cons

pay,leadership,strict rules,unstable hours ,customers, favoritism

Poor Upper Leadership

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Academy Sports & Outdoors full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits are good, trying to take care of the lower level employees.

Cons

Company has little clue that the problems are within upper leadership and not the stores' management. Surveys constructed to criticize stores' leadership rather than the company that dictates how the stores should operate. Kids are filling out surveys and in reality, they will move on to other employers in a very short time. Still hard to succeed without connections. RVPs are a tight group.

Create a survey for store directors and mangers to rate D.M.s and RVPs. Of course you know the answer to this and it will never happen. Ask the employees what they think about the company and what they would like from the company.

Not bad for retail

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Academy Sports & Outdoors part-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexibility, fairness. Unlike some of the other jobs I've had, I didn't have to worry about flaky management.

Cons

The return policy is too lax. Great for people who like to take advantage of any opportunity to use a product and then bring it back. And it's retail, so the usual retail drawbacks apply.

Part-time job as Kidz Klub Attendant

Former Employee - Kidz Klub Attendant  in  Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Kidz Klub Attendant in Reston, VA

I worked at Academy Sports & Outdoors part-time for more than a year

Pros

work-life balance, office culture, friendly staff and employees

Cons

Not many cons because of work situation

Former Employee - Receiving Associate  in  Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Receiving Associate in Wichita, KS

I worked at Academy Sports & Outdoors part-time for less than a year

Pros

Easy work, fun coworkers, ok pay, learned a lot about how to set up shelves and run a store "behind the scenes", very informative, easy to learn

Cons

Managers not really willing to work with employees, people acting like they're better than you, and the main con was that as a temporary employee, they led me to believe I had a 90-day period to prove myself. After almost exactly 30 days I was called in and told that they were cutting some temporary employees since they'd hired to many and I had been chosen to be cut. So literally I learned it was my last day on my last day with no advance warning at all. Glad I didn't have bills to pay.

Let people know in advance how long a temporary position can last, and don't dump it on their lap that it's their last day out of the blue.

This would be a solid company to work for if the HR department had any communication skills

I have been working at Academy Sports & Outdoors full-time

Pros

The merchants offices are very friendly and outgoing. Although there can be stressful times to get your job done, overall it's a great environment.

Cons

Although the company claims they "recruit within", getting anyone in HR to respond is a joke. The recruiter is rude, has no social skills and acts as if she is being "put out" because a current employee is trying to work hard to move up within the company. HR is suppose to be the face of the company and that couldn't be further from what it is.

Hire people in HR that actually care about the company and its employees and develop some social skills!

Worked for Academy Sports & Outdoors? Contribute to the Community!