Academy Sports & Outdoors

Updated October 1, 2014
2.9

Academy Sports & Outdoors President Rodney Faldyn
Rodney Faldyn

Pros
  • Employee discount is better than most places, co workers are awesome (in 19 reviews)

• flexible schedule, generally easy job, work with team of people (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • The team leads are jokes and most of them are clueless to what is going on (in 23 reviews)

• Pay isnt worth the amount of work you do, point system is a good idea that was poorly executed (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Grow where you are planted

Current Employee - Product Developer  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Product Developer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Academy Sports & Outdoors full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Ability to be creative in my role. Benefits. A lot of potential as company continues to grow

Cons

Work - Life balance, Office politics.

Spread out work load evenly so that the work - life balance is better. A lot of people stay late consistently and work weekends to stay on top of their work load.

Dynamic and growing company

I have been working at Academy Sports & Outdoors

Pros

Your skill sets will be utilized to their fullest

Cons

Good is not good enough

Small Things; Good Job.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Alexandria, LA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Alexandria, LA

I have been working at Academy Sports & Outdoors part-time for more than a year

Pros

The best reasons is the atmosphere of the company and store. You may think since It's retail that It's dangerously out of control, But It's average. The customers that shop there do so because they want to; the store sells Fun, so they're always happy.
    On occasion you will have on That's upset because we're out of a product That's on sale, But It's all Good, and they'll understand. There's also a great 20% discount after a WEEK of working there. That's the best Retail discount I've had. (WALMART Is 10% after 90 DAYS)����

Cons

-Everyone starts out as Part-time for 30-90 days, depending on how reliable you are. That's a problem for me, simple because I have bills, and need the extra $300 every two weeks.
    -Sunday starts a new work week, and the schedules are usually not ready until the day before (Saturday). So if you are Off Saturday, you'll have to come to work just to see your schedule for next week. I know It's small, But I don't want to see work on my off day, even though It's fun to work there.

The Team Leader creates the schedules, and work on the floor like we do. I believe giving them One Full Day of Adminitrative duties could speed up the delivery of Schedules. Other than that, Keep up the Good work!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

AWESOME

Current Employee - Apparel Associate  in  Dalton, GA
    Current Employee - Apparel Associate in Dalton, GA

I have been working at Academy Sports & Outdoors part-time for less than a year

Pros

I loved working at academy

Cons

varied schedule but that is expected

A decent job for highschool/early college students.

Current Employee - Footwear Team Lead
    Current Employee - Footwear Team Lead

I have been working at Academy Sports & Outdoors full-time for more than a year

Pros

Can be a fun environment with the right associates.

Cons

High turnover rate.
    Hours can be rough.

Be more clear on what you want out of your employees.

Good company to work for. They are trying to grow fast and a little scattered in direction.

Former Employee - Store Director  in  Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Store Director in Memphis, TN

I worked at Academy Sports & Outdoors full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They have great products and prices.

Cons

On the cheap side for developing. They rather pay on a scale of $10 to $12 for a Dept. Lead the high for an outsider that does not understand what Academy is about and only pay the internal promotion the low. The internal already has a huge advantage over the external. They talk about they rather promote within, but the internal associates are getting wise to Academy's WalMartish ways....

Be a corporate zombie. They are not interested in outside thinking and will hang you in a second!

Not a whole lot of motivation from anyone in the company

Former Employee - Footwear Sales Associate  in  Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Footwear Sales Associate in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Academy Sports & Outdoors part-time for more than a year

Pros

Small discount on merchandise
    Generally flexible scheduling depending on your manager

Cons

Used to offer tuition reimbursement for college students, but they changed the policy to drop the amount they will give you, and it's impossible to be awarded it now. I was really counting on this to help with my school and they pulled the rug from under me.
    Unmotivated and lazy managers and team leads-- they never seemed to want to move forward or do any sort of work at all. They would rather hand it off to hourly workers.
    The whole company seemed very disorganized as far as keeping the stores stocked and regulated. It was almost embarrassing at times when customers would come in and see our selection basically unstocked.

Get a better supply chain system to improve stock in stores. The selection of what people want was always hit or miss.

It was OK at first but got old really fast.

Current Employee - Apparel Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Apparel Sales Associate

I have been working at Academy Sports & Outdoors part-time for more than a year

Pros

The discounts are the only upsidento thus job

Cons

Management is lazy
    Repetitive work
    Favoritism
    Catty work environment
    Myself and multiple coworkers have stated that working here feels like having a black cloud over your head.

The apparel department is the least respected department yet we take up 40% of the store and by far have the most work when it comes to closing. Apply to any other department besides apparel department if you ever want to be taken seriously.

When it comes to promotions please promote based on quality of work and not who kisses your butt. Like seriously take a good look at the quality of work from each employee and then decide who deserves what positions.

Not the worst but not the best

Former Employee - Team Sports Sales Associate  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Team Sports Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Academy Sports & Outdoors part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Could get decent hours. Fellow coworkers were ok for the most part. Worked with my school schedule.

Cons

Would constantly have to stay all hours of the night. Store closed at 10 PM but on average would stay til midnight. Annoying work!!!! Having to pick up after people. Ghetto customers. Management was pretty bad.

Need to treat employees with respect. Avoid favoritism. Just because I'm getting a college degree doesn't mean you need to feel threatened or treat me different. The one manager I got along with had a college degree (Surprise, Surprise!!)

Growing company that's great for the right type of person

Current Employee - Omnichannel  in  Katy, TX
    Current Employee - Omnichannel in Katy, TX

I have been working at Academy Sports & Outdoors full-time

Pros

Academy has grown tremendously in the past few years, so it's clearly doing many things correctly. The company has a fiercely loyal customer base in the South, and it stands to do well as it expands north and into some Midwestern states.

Academy treats its employees well in most regards. The pay is pretty good, the benefits are probably about average, and good work is rewarded. The workplace is fairly casual and easygoing, and work-life balance is good. However, don't expect any above-and-beyond perks like gym memberships, catered food, etc. It's not a bad place to work, with friendly people and humble executives, especially if you're the type who likes hunting, fishing, outdoors, and the like. And let's be honest, you'll be right at home here if you lean right on the political spectrum.

Cons

As you can probably deduce from the Pros, you won't love it here if you are progressively minded. And that doesn't just apply to political sensibilities. Academy has a good-ol'-boy mentality that, although not overwhelming, pervades its culture and business practices. I mean, we're talking about a multibillion-dollar company that didn't fully embrace the power of the internet until about 2013.

Since Academy was so late to the game, particularly when it comes to e-commerce and omnichannel, its growing pains have been quite pronounced. As the company has grown, so too have its bureaucratic inefficiencies. If you want to get anything done, you have to go through a frustrating array of approvals and revisions.

Long story short: Academy is growing, yes, but if it can't break out of its traditional ways, it will never catch up with the competition in either customer or employee satisfaction.

Let your employees try new things. Don't preach "thinking outside the box" and then immediately shut down ideas that are even remotely outside of the norm.

Academy Sports & Outdoors Photos

Academy

+ Add Photo

Worked for Academy Sports & Outdoors? Contribute to the Community!