Academy Sports & Outdoors

Updated September 17, 2014
2.9

Academy Sports & Outdoors President Rodney Faldyn
Rodney Faldyn

Pros
  • Employee discount is better than most places, co workers are awesome (in 18 reviews)

• flexible schedule, generally easy job, work with team of people (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Management structure is a joke (useless senior team lead position) (in 22 reviews)

• Ridiculous point system, were if your part time you can never call in sick (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company with a lot of growth

I worked at Academy Sports & Outdoors part-time

Pros

Company is growing and is beginning to hire smart people to lead it into the future

Cons

-Those who have been with the company for a great deal of time are not willing to change.
    -Better technology and systems that speak to each other need to be implemented.
    -Pay is below average

Focus on moving the company into the future and invest in better people and technology.

Good company to work for. They are trying to grow fast and a little scattered in direction.

Former Employee - Store Director  in  Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Store Director in Memphis, TN

I worked at Academy Sports & Outdoors full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They have great products and prices.

Cons

On the cheap side for developing. They rather pay on a scale of $10 to $12 for a Dept. Lead the high for an outsider that does not understand what Academy is about and only pay the internal promotion the low. The internal already has a huge advantage over the external. They talk about they rather promote within, but the internal associates are getting wise to Academy's WalMartish ways....

Be a corporate zombie. They are not interested in outside thinking and will hang you in a second!

Growing company that's great for the right type of person

Current Employee - Omnichannel  in  Katy, TX
    Current Employee - Omnichannel in Katy, TX

I have been working at Academy Sports & Outdoors full-time

Pros

Academy has grown tremendously in the past few years, so it's clearly doing many things correctly. The company has a fiercely loyal customer base in the South, and it stands to do well as it expands north and into some Midwestern states.

Academy treats its employees well in most regards. The pay is pretty good, the benefits are probably about average, and good work is rewarded. The workplace is fairly casual and easygoing, and work-life balance is good. However, don't expect any above-and-beyond perks like gym memberships, catered food, etc. It's not a bad place to work, with friendly people and humble executives, especially if you're the type who likes hunting, fishing, outdoors, and the like. And let's be honest, you'll be right at home here if you lean right on the political spectrum.

Cons

As you can probably deduce from the Pros, you won't love it here if you are progressively minded. And that doesn't just apply to political sensibilities. Academy has a good-ol'-boy mentality that, although not overwhelming, pervades its culture and business practices. I mean, we're talking about a multibillion-dollar company that didn't fully embrace the power of the internet until about 2013.

Since Academy was so late to the game, particularly when it comes to e-commerce and omnichannel, its growing pains have been quite pronounced. As the company has grown, so too have its bureaucratic inefficiencies. If you want to get anything done, you have to go through a frustrating array of approvals and revisions.

Long story short: Academy is growing, yes, but if it can't break out of its traditional ways, it will never catch up with the competition in either customer or employee satisfaction.

Let your employees try new things. Don't preach "thinking outside the box" and then immediately shut down ideas that are even remotely outside of the norm.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Job

I worked at Academy Sports & Outdoors full-time

Pros

they are willing to give good hours

Cons

all sales associates that has been at the job longer than you have, thinks they are a manager.

Not a whole lot of motivation from anyone in the company

Former Employee - Footwear Sales Associate  in  Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Footwear Sales Associate in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Academy Sports & Outdoors part-time for more than a year

Pros

Small discount on merchandise
    Generally flexible scheduling depending on your manager

Cons

Used to offer tuition reimbursement for college students, but they changed the policy to drop the amount they will give you, and it's impossible to be awarded it now. I was really counting on this to help with my school and they pulled the rug from under me.
    Unmotivated and lazy managers and team leads-- they never seemed to want to move forward or do any sort of work at all. They would rather hand it off to hourly workers.
    The whole company seemed very disorganized as far as keeping the stores stocked and regulated. It was almost embarrassing at times when customers would come in and see our selection basically unstocked.

Get a better supply chain system to improve stock in stores. The selection of what people want was always hit or miss.

It was OK at first but got old really fast.

Current Employee - Apparel Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Apparel Sales Associate

I have been working at Academy Sports & Outdoors part-time for more than a year

Pros

The discounts are the only upsidento thus job

Cons

Management is lazy
    Repetitive work
    Favoritism
    Catty work environment
    Myself and multiple coworkers have stated that working here feels like having a black cloud over your head.

The apparel department is the least respected department yet we take up 40% of the store and by far have the most work when it comes to closing. Apply to any other department besides apparel department if you ever want to be taken seriously.

When it comes to promotions please promote based on quality of work and not who kisses your butt. Like seriously take a good look at the quality of work from each employee and then decide who deserves what positions.

Not the worst but not the best

Former Employee - Team Sports Sales Associate  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Team Sports Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Academy Sports & Outdoors part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Could get decent hours. Fellow coworkers were ok for the most part. Worked with my school schedule.

Cons

Would constantly have to stay all hours of the night. Store closed at 10 PM but on average would stay til midnight. Annoying work!!!! Having to pick up after people. Ghetto customers. Management was pretty bad.

Need to treat employees with respect. Avoid favoritism. Just because I'm getting a college degree doesn't mean you need to feel threatened or treat me different. The one manager I got along with had a college degree (Surprise, Surprise!!)

I love the variety of the options in the store. I can get almost anything I need there for sports.

I worked at Academy Sports & Outdoors

Pros

Discounts!! leadership, life-work balance, flexible with schedule,

Cons

Even with discounts prices are a bit high. There will always be that one person who makes your work place hard.

Keep a good mind set, its a great opportunity to work there! Great team members and a great addition to your career journey!

Solid Company to Work for.

Current Employee - Global Sourcing Coordinator  in  Katy, TX
    Current Employee - Global Sourcing Coordinator in Katy, TX

I have been working at Academy Sports & Outdoors full-time for more than a year

Pros

Consistency, organized structure, opportunity to diversify career. Compensation is competitive. Company cares about employees.

Cons

Company may be trying to hard to be corporate. Needs to identify its own culture. Not a lot of room for advancement in Sourcing areas.

Small benefits such as giving Christmas Eve & Black Friday off will go along way among employees.

Not a hard job, but Management is not inspiring. Very High Turnover.

Current Employee - Team Sports Sales Associate  in  Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Team Sports Sales Associate in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Academy Sports & Outdoors part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you need a part time job, it's generally pretty easy to get hired. The work isn't hard if you're not a moron. Pay is decent if you negotiate when you're hired. Harder jobs do generally get paid more, though only if you know ahead of time they're harder and ask for the extra pay. Employee Discount is awesome if you like any of the things the store sell, especially on Guns and ammo.

Cons

Management structure is pants on head retarded, and doesn't really feel effective. Hours are generally long and if you close, you can expect to be at work till midnight every night. Customers suck. Turnover is atrocious, especially in Footwear, as that department is a nightmare and is poorly run in most cases.

Make a better effort to train your employees. Make a better effort to retain good employees. Offer better wages to middle management and long term employees so you aren't constantly having to hire newbies.

Worked for Academy Sports & Outdoors? Contribute to the Community!