Academy Sports & Outdoors

www.academy.com

Academy Sports & Outdoors Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014
Academy Sports & Outdoors – Jacksonville – “Academy”

Academy Sports & Outdoors President Rodney Faldyn

Rodney Faldyn

Pros
  • Employee discount is better than most places, co workers are awesome(in 18 reviews)

• flexible schedule, generally easy job, work with team of people(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Management structure is a joke (useless senior team lead position)(in 22 reviews)

• Ridiculous point system, were if your part time you can never call in sick(in 17 reviews)

Great work environment!

Replenishment Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsCulture, People, Growth Opportunities and a Relaxed understanding environment

ConsSome managers are liars and try to hold you from progressing. It can just depend on who you get. Work hard and be good at what you do and someone will notice.

This is a great place to work, especially if you like sports, hunting, fishing, or camping.

ProsYou get to talk about sports all day with customers and associates. Managers are really good at working around school schedule and approving all requests for time off. Promotions come easy since turnover is so high (lots of college and seasonal employees).

ConsSome positions require more work than others. There are almost no benefits if you are a part-time associate.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommission on certain items would help drive sales and improve customer service.

Very Good Training, Customer Relations very very important, Treated employees well

Hunting/Fishing Associate (Former Employee) Beaumont, TX

ProsTreated associates like they were someone, Co-Workers very helpful,
    Most team leads always told you how good you were doing. All team leads I met were all
    very knowledgeable and ready to lend you a helping hand. Always gave you a pat on the back.

ConsHigh Turnover in Management. The management I worked with all were helpful and cheerful, just were
    moved to different store locations.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood Middle Management helps makes a team work together

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good life balance company with advancement opportunities

Operations Manager (Current Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsFriendly, stress free work environment. Good benefits and tremendous growth opportunities. Top leadership has good vision and growth strategies. Training platform is thorough and makes new associates comfortable starting with a new company.

ConsGoing through a lot of changes from IT to management, all for the better I hope. Top down and lateral communication could use some work.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to promote growth opportunities

Great company to work for.

Team Lead (Former Employee) Tulsa, OK

ProsThis is a successful, constantly evolving company. They are always bringing the latest items to the stores at an exceptional value. If you want to grow with a company this is the one.

ConsProvide the tools to employees to promote from within a little more.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to everyone when possible. They all good input.

Great place

Apparel Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsGreat company to work at.

ConsLike all jobs, there is not one perfect place!

Learned a lot and had a great experience working for Academy!

Team Sports Sales Associate (Former Employee) Orange Park, FL

ProsThe management team was friendly and helpful. I asked for opportunities to learn more about the business and was given those opportunities. I was able to change my schedule when needed and never had any issue with hours.

ConsThe only con I can think of would be that some of the departments would finish their closing procedures, then get ready to clock out while we were still finishing our closing procedures. When we finished ours, we always tried to help other departments finish.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

easy going job, nice place to work for.

Asset Protection Associate (Current Employee) Portland, TX

Prosflexiable, family orientated, career opportunties, friendly

Consnew store, training needed, more incentives

Awesome

Footwear Sales Associate (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsThey always worked with me and I meet tons of great people

ConsI have nothing negative to say. I enjoyed my time at Academy and I would advise any high school student to work here

Great people who take pride in their company!

ProsThey have such a variety compared to other sports & outdoors stores.

ConsDon't have anything negative to say about the company!

Worked for Academy Sports & Outdoors? Contribute to the Community!