Academy Sports & Outdoors

www.academy.com

Academy Sports & Outdoors Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014
Academy Sports & Outdoors – Jacksonville – “Academy”

Academy Sports & Outdoors President Rodney Faldyn

Rodney Faldyn

Pros
  • Employee discount is better than most places, co workers are awesome(in 18 reviews)

• flexible schedule, generally easy job, work with team of people(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Management structure is a joke (useless senior team lead position)(in 22 reviews)

• Ridiculous point system, were if your part time you can never call in sick(in 17 reviews)

Most abusive work place!

Order Picker At the Footwear Department (Former Employee) Katy, TX

ProsIts an ok paying job.

Cons- Unethical treatment
    - Segregation among workers
    - Undocumented minorities
    - No ladder of control
    - Horrible management
    - Work you hard even when you have told them you have a physical disorder
    - There is no tangible " open door policy" when it comes to management

Advice to Senior ManagementRethink and make immediate changes to how you view and treat everyone in the distribution center in Katy TX. Stop favoring a group of people because they share the same race of you and start respecting the ones that don't.

Great work environment!

Replenishment Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsCulture, People, Growth Opportunities and a Relaxed understanding environment

ConsSome managers are liars and try to hold you from progressing. It can just depend on who you get. Work hard and be good at what you do and someone will notice.

Asset Protection Associate

Asset Protection Associate (Current Employee) Augusta, GA

Prosdecent pay for the work required.

ConsNot many hours,very boring, management never knows what's going on, and high turnover rates.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire individuals that actually know how to manage employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good part-time gig.

Field and Stream Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsDiscounts- (20% in store, 3point5.com, and ProDeals for firearms)
    Managers are good about working around school/primary job schedules.
    The job is fairly easy. (The toughest part is loading boats and safes)
    Good department morale.

ConsPoint system. (You accrue points toward write ups/termination regardless of a doctor's excuse)
    Late hours. (Store closes at 10pm, and you're lucky to be walking out at a little after 10, even on a dead night.)
    Very few weekends off, and have to be "availble" to work on Saturdays and Sundays.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers should lead by example. I understand delegation is necessary, but employees will work alot harder for someone they know will get in the trenches with them and help get the job done as opposed to walking by and barking out orders while doing nothing themselves.

Work is great

ProsBenefits and Promotions also they encourage hard work and reward i appropriately.

ConsManager's are not really manager's just a title and they don't know what the heck management is about. Or what there team work on.

Decent Part time Job

Hunting/Fishing Associate (Former Employee) Mobile, AL

ProsPretty straightforward position. Enough work to keep you busy. Fairly relaxed environment to work in. Training is simple and quick. Met a lot of people.

ConsIncrease in wages where minimal, if any at all. but other than that not many cons at all. just an ok job with an ok company.

This is a great place to work, especially if you like sports, hunting, fishing, or camping.

ProsYou get to talk about sports all day with customers and associates. Managers are really good at working around school schedule and approving all requests for time off. Promotions come easy since turnover is so high (lots of college and seasonal employees).

ConsSome positions require more work than others. There are almost no benefits if you are a part-time associate.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommission on certain items would help drive sales and improve customer service.

Very Good Training, Customer Relations very very important, Treated employees well

Hunting/Fishing Associate (Former Employee) Beaumont, TX

ProsTreated associates like they were someone, Co-Workers very helpful,
    Most team leads always told you how good you were doing. All team leads I met were all
    very knowledgeable and ready to lend you a helping hand. Always gave you a pat on the back.

ConsHigh Turnover in Management. The management I worked with all were helpful and cheerful, just were
    moved to different store locations.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood Middle Management helps makes a team work together

ECommerce Department Plays favorites

Customer Service Support (Former Employee) Katy, TX

ProsDiscount is great, fair pay, coworkers helpful, You learn more from co workers than through training. Gives promotional jobs even if you don't qualify.

ConsParking bad, hours horrible, not treated equally, lots of favouritizm and cheats you on promotion and benefits. Changes policy and procedures when it fits their needs. Limited training. No longer family oriented. Promotions are not given you have to apply for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat each employee equally. Just because I choose to work does not mean I am less deserving of respect and promotion. Dont treat workers like you are doing them a favor letting them work for your company.

Sr. Team Lead

Prosfun place to work due to sporting goods

Conspay is very low for required performance

Worked for Academy Sports & Outdoors? Contribute to the Community!