Academy Sports & Outdoors

Updated December 22, 2014
Updated December 22, 2014

Academy Sports & Outdoors President Rodney Faldyn
Rodney Faldyn

Pros
  • Employee discount is better than most places, co workers are awesome (in 25 reviews)

• Life long friends, 20% discount(which needs to go back to 25% or even 30%) (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • The team leads are jokes and most of them are clueless to what is going on (in 25 reviews)

• Pay isnt worth the amount of work you do, point system is a good idea that was poorly executed (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

amazing

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Killeen, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Killeen, TX

I worked at Academy Sports & Outdoors full-time (less than an year)

Pros

i loved working here the staff was amazing and the managers took well care of their employees

Cons

the challenges would have to be some staff slacked off and the busy days drug on forever

keep up being awsome!!

The job is wonderful....at first...

Current Employee - Cashier Team Lead in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Cashier Team Lead in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Academy Sports & Outdoors full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have been with Academy since the summer of this year. We are a new store and no one really knew what to expect going in. I have some absolutely amazing coworkers and have made some great friends, though that was never my intention. I am an entry level supervisor for the front end and for the most part, I love my job. We get a nice 20% discount, which works even on clearance items. We are closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas, which is new to me, as I've had to work those holidays in my last jobs. The training is pretty good as trainers come in from other stores, though sometimes, they conflict because some stores do things differently than others. Management in our store is fairly decent, though I feel some changes could be made. Benefits are better than what I had previously, despite reviews to the contrary. Management also seems to want to help employees work their way into promotions if that's something they want to do. If you're mobile and open to relocation, opportunities are everywhere. You can transfer to another store or even go for a corporate position. Pay is halfway decent for this area. I agree with other reviewers who say that it's a great job for students, especially being a cashier.

Cons

There's a lot of pressure on us to make sure things are done correctly, and the write up policy is pretty harsh. There are always going to be people who you may not click with and there's always going to be drama somewhere. Sometimes I feel the managers don't want to be terribly proactive and can be rather passive-aggressive. If you're hearing complaints about the same person or people time and time again, it needs to be addressed.

I feel there needs to be a better policy on the point system. Sometimes, things happen and life gets in the way. We've had SO many very sick people come to work because they're so terrified of getting fired. That said, I've also seen people gain thirty points because they didn't want to come to work, and not be terminated due to a technicality. I also feel that when you have as many no call, no shows as we do, we need to address the problem. When a store has a high turnover rate, it might help to try to figure out the source of the problem. Is it something that can be worked on? Is it an issue with a particular department or area? Is there a common theme or reason people are leaving? What can be done to make it a better store? We are losing good people and I feel it'd be beneficial to do something about it. We can't have managers be all apathetic and just have things fall on deaf ears.

everyone knows one another so it's mostly a friendly environment but does come with mild stresses

Current Employee - Receiving Team Lead
    Current Employee - Receiving Team Lead

I have been working at Academy Sports & Outdoors full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

job security is easy to find

Cons

management that lack common sense and knowledge of retail

stop acting like you're a gift to the company but find and empower the gifts and talents of those you supervise

Terrible People

Former Employee - Camping Associate in College Station, TX
    Former Employee - Camping Associate in College Station, TX

I worked at Academy Sports & Outdoors

Pros

The hours weren't exactly flexible, but they were odd and allowed for you to have a full morning or afternoon/evening for class/another job/family.

Cons

The other staff members are terrible. No sort of team atmosphere. I guess that is probably pretty usual for any sort of retail though.

Pay a bit better and you'll probably get better employees for longer terms, although there aren't a lack of applicants and it may just be cheaper to have a lot of turnover at lower pay.

At first I loved this job and I actually enjoyed going to work. With time it changed due to management.

Current Employee - Operations Team Lead in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Operations Team Lead in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Academy Sports & Outdoors part-time (more than an year)

Pros

good discount. thanksgiving and Christmas off. paid vacation and sick time.

Cons

unstable hours.management is poor. mission statement is not true.

visions changed during my time working. it went from a team environment to everyone working on their own. management did not do a good job on appraising individuals. it became more focused on the customer and neglecting associates.

working at Academy is luke warm

Current Employee - Project Manager in Katy, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Katy, TX

I have been working at Academy Sports & Outdoors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

flexible hours, courteous people, yearly bonus

Cons

salaries lower than industry average, no upward mobility, 100%+ turnover, lack of processes and procedures

pay better salaries to keep the good people

Good job if your in school

Current Employee - Apparel Sales Associate in Lafayette, LA
    Current Employee - Apparel Sales Associate in Lafayette, LA

I have been working at Academy Sports & Outdoors part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun work environment people are nice

Cons

Boring work, management can get annoying at times

ease up on college kids this isn't our only job

Great summer job

Former Employee - Footwear Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Footwear Sales Associate

I worked at Academy Sports & Outdoors part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I really enjoyed working with the customers. Management was laid back. I personally grew in sales. The pay was decent for the days I worked and the actual hours I put in.

Cons

Management may have been too laid back. There were times that I did not or was not really able to take a lunch break because management did a poor job scheduling employees and ensuring people were covered if they were off.

Store Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Academy Sports & Outdoors full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Associates
    Vacation time
    Employee Discounts

Cons

Favoritism across the board.
    Benefits changes causing less coverage
    Money Hungry Company straying away from the Family Friendly culture
    Typical Retail life
    High Turnover Rate
    Consistent hardware issues such as Symbols/PC/Oracle system down making it hard to do our job at store level

Work-Life Balance (example 6 day work weeks during holiday season)
    Some conversations are not meant for the sales floor or in front of associates
    Praise the associates for their hard work
    Work as a Team not individually
    Store Directors and Upper Management: Lead by example and provide a Positive Environment

Academy

Current Employee - Senior Team Lead
    Current Employee - Senior Team Lead

I have been working at Academy Sports & Outdoors

Pros

growing company new stores coming

Cons

No training for management or assistant manager

train better, talk to your employees better

Academy Sports & Outdoors Photos