Academy Sports & Outdoors Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Great for College Students, Won't cover even half of your bills...

Current Employee - Customer Service Cashier in Macon, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Cashier in Macon, GA

Pros

There absolutely no pros to working here. I don't recommend it to anyone, ever. Buyer Beware.

Cons

- Low pay for ridiculous hours - Management changes schedule w.o notice - Will go from 25+ hours one week to none the next - Inefficient handling of employee issues/complaints

Advice to Management

None. Get new management

2. Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Frisco, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Frisco, TX

I have been working at Academy Sports & Outdoors full-time

Pros

Atmosphere is great. Family Friendly Work Environment. Close Relationships with entire team. Ability to make decisions based on numerous variables. Ability to get paid sick time.

Cons

Low starting pay for management. Senior Team Leads and Team Leads also have lower pay scale. Senior Team Lead responsibilities and even team lead responsibilities limited.

3. Meh

Pros

-Decent pay -good benefits -bonuses -Don't work crazy 70 hour weeks like other company

Cons

-Its retail -Company is clueless in lots of areas

5. Apparel Associate

Former Employee - Apparel Associate in Spring, TX
    Former Employee - Apparel Associate in Spring, TX

Pros

Flexible with work schedule, positive work environment, decent managers depending on the store, store employee discounts are decent

Cons

Apparel section is constantly getting messed up, each section of store is a different department and different manager, no sitting during work hours

Advice to Management

Better organized between departments, better uniform system of operating between stores, better store employee discounts, better enforcement of return policy

6. Boring

Pros

Good Hours, flexible for time off

Cons

Boring, nothing to do regularly

Advice to Management

Give us more job responsibilities.

7. Customer Service Cashier

Current Employee - Customer Service Cashier in Rosenberg, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Cashier in Rosenberg, TX

I have been working at Academy Sports & Outdoors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work here as a customer service cashier, my first full time job with benefits. Pros are there are some friendly co workers, you get a 30 minute or a 1 hour break. At the end of the month they provide lunch for us. You get a 20% off discount. I get health benefits, anywhere from 32-40 hours a week. Two days off. It's a pretty easy job.

Cons

The worst part of this job is the drama! It's like the managers don't even realize what goes on in the front end. There is major favoritism going on too. My team leads are all girls and there is only one of them who is sweet and I like working with. One of them is always on my back about everything and she gets on my last nerve and I constantly feel harassed from her. The other two are very bossy and rude. They think they can get away with what ever they want and not only does academy have a huge customer theft problem but also one with employee theft. I feel constantly that I'm the only one who ever stays on my register and actually works. Even with my fellow customer service co workers. Everyone is lazy and just leaves their register and walks around while I'm always stuck being the one who is doing all the work and checking every customer out. I try to stay happy and positive but with all the nonsense that goes on with my upper management it is real hard. Especially when I have tons of rude customers! Some throw huge fits if they don't get their way and the managers and team leads always say "just do it" and they let people return what ever they want! Old dirty boots and things that have been worn, used, destroyed with no receipt. I been here over a year and I've seen everything and I know how this place works and it's kind of a shame. I feel academy is a good company to work for but the only good person in my building is my store director. The rest of the management is really horrible. I know other employees who feel the same way I do and I bet there is even more unspoken of.

Advice to Management

I don't know what it's like in other stores that I don't work in but in the store that I do work in, it really needs some new management to come and turn this place around so that everyone feels equal and that the employees are actually made to work and not get to do whatever they want and walk around and be lazy, how is that fair that some workers work so hard for the same pay that the lazy ones get by doing nothing. & if you're a favorite of a team lead or manager you will not have to do anything anyways because all I ever see is them talking and sitting in the managers booth on the computer.

8. Sales Associatr

Pros

Pros... I got lots of hours on weekends and evenings because no one wanted those hours but those hours worked with my school schedule.

Cons

No one stays long, many people just quit with no notice, people are mean, the customers are mean, they do outside hires so it's hard to move up.

Advice to Management

Promote within the business. Treat others as you want to be treated.

9. Good company for gaining experience

I have been working at Academy Sports & Outdoors full-time

Pros

Job opportunities, full benefits, company culture

Cons

Compensation is typically below industry average

10. Ok job

Current Employee - Asset Protection
    Current Employee - Asset Protection

Pros

Discount, employees, vacation time, sick time

Cons

Managment, low hours, pick up others slack without compensation

Advice to Management

Treat the loyal employees better, don't spend as much time on new employees that quit or get fired in less than 6 months

11. Discount is great, but that's about it

Former Employee - Cashier in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Cashier in Wichita, KS

I worked at Academy Sports & Outdoors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee discount 20 percent even on firearms, One hour lunch.. Every now and again they would throw a store party and get free food.

Cons

Understaffed during slow times causing you to pick up the slack at the register, constantly changing plan o grams for back to school, Christmas, Summer, Winter, and hunting season.Very low starting pay (around 50 cents above your cities minimum wage) which makes you less motivated unless you move up. Very high turnaround, and would receive phone calls to come in on my day off.

Advice to Management

I understand to cut hours when slow, but long lines are not the answer. Pay your associates more and they will be more motivated.

RSS Feed </> Embed