Academy for Educational Development

Updated August 15, 2014
2.8

Academy for Educational Development President & CEO George Ingram
George Ingram

Broad range of options, much lost potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Academy for Educational Development

Pros

AED has access to a huge range of options in terms of countries, projects and topics in which it works, and its staff is very competent and diverse. Climate is friendly, open and respectful. Provides opportunities and expects staff to be self-managed in terms of their time and tasks. Benefits are great. Location of the main offices is great too.

Cons

AED management is surprisingly weak considering its success in the industry - probably a reflection of growing up with its main source of funding (US government agencies). Incentives and compensation do not address the needs for development of the organization nor its staff, but rather compensate giving "110% because management messed up." Local staff in field offices are second-class citizens with few chances for advancement in the organization. Overall the organization is wasting the huge potential of its staff and knowledge.

Be less hidebound. Break down stove-piping, commit in practice to your words: a global organization.

A great place to learn, move up, then move on.

Former Employee - Program Officer  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Program Officer in Washington, DC

I worked at Academy for Educational Development

Pros

AED is a thought and practice leader in government contracting around so many types of social issues. It is a great place to start your career and gain transferable skills while you figure out your own interests and talents. If you get the right manager, AED central services provides great resources for personal and professional development. It is easy to move up and to gain great skills that are recognized throughout the international development community. They have great infrastructure and facilities for a non-profit and are located in a nice location to work. The roof deck is a major perk.

Cons

It's a large place and easy to get stuck with a less-than-forward-thinking manager who does not always see the big picture.
    They have major leadership pipeline issues: many upper level staff get too bogged down in administrative or programmatic tasks instead of being strategic leaders.
    Some senior managers have work-life balance issues and expect the same level of commitment from their underpaid staff.
    Compared to other organizations, there are very few opportunities for international travel for lower and mid level employees.
    The organization does not have a strategic communications strategy- neither internal nor external, and could benefit from some better reflection on the way that they talk to their employees.

Do a social network analysis to compare the informal relationship realities with the formal organizational structure.

Good overall, but has its downsides

Current Employee - Web and Database Developer  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Web and Database Developer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Academy for Educational Development

Pros

Nice people, pleasant office space filled with art, frequent cultural and educational events open to all staff. Quite good benefits.

Cons

Serving in a technical role (web and database developer for one of AED's projects) I feel too far removed from having a direct positive impact on any of the areas in which AED works. I've also been frustrated by the IT department, which is inflexible when it comes to their policies. For example, Remote Desktop Connection is also blocked, which makes it very difficult for me to work from home. I'm sure that inflexible IT policies are not unique to AED, but it's new to me, coming from a college environment that was much more permissive.

Working in a technical role in this organization can be isolating, because there is no network amongst other staff doing similar work for other projects. In my job, I have no technical mentor or anyone who can review my design decisions.

On the right track.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good for international opportunities, bad for getting ahead.

Current Employee - Technical Officer I  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Technical Officer I in Washington, DC

I have been working at Academy for Educational Development

Pros

The breadth and depth of the knowledge of international projects that AED employees work on is incredible. They are in over 80 countries around the globe and have wonderful opportunities to participate in these programs.

Cons

Usually when you get hired, they low-ball your offer. You can talk them up however. They also offer full benefits, but watch out for the medical plan that the doctors you want to see are covered. Many of the popular doctors under the larger health plans in DC are NOT in the health plan they offer. Also watch out if you're a short timer -- retirement doesn't kick in until one year on the job.

Truth in advertising -- please don't say one thing, yet do another. It's a bit disingenuous.

Great potential that ended too early

Former Employee - Technical Advisor
    Former Employee - Technical Advisor

I worked at Academy for Educational Development full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart, motivated people who knew what they were doing. There was a buzz and excitement working there.

Cons

A reluctance to break out of silos. A shame that AED became the poster child for accountability and that the toll was so high.

Got what was coming

I worked at Academy for Educational Development as an intern for less than a year

Pros

A great location and admirable compensation

Cons

There was obvious pocket padding throughout the organization

Nice people

I have been working at Academy for Educational Development

Pros

Great colleagues, great benefits, flexible hours

Cons

After the suspension everyone left and the work has been limited

The six-month rule between positions should be flexible in some cases.

I learned tremendous amounts but was part of lean-staffed subsidiary of AED

Current Employee - Senior Program Associate
    Current Employee - Senior Program Associate

I have been working at Academy for Educational Development

Pros

Travel and somewhat of comraderie, but very centric to which project you work.

Cons

A lot of nepotism, especially once the organization lost funding from the State Department and was acquired by another non-profit.

Promote those that actually work.

AED: OK but needs work on internal systems and valuing diversity

I worked at Academy for Educational Development

Pros

Lots of opportunities for learning and accessing information at the DC headquarters; a diverse collection of many talented and competent professionals; plenty of funding available with enormous potential to truly make a difference and implement quality programming.

Cons

Inefficient systems for the management of overseas projects make processes and approvals move slowly; overseas staff, including US Americans, treated as second-class citizens by headquarters. Although there are many US American minorities who are AED employees, very few of them are in senior management positions.

Do a management review and overhaul of the major systems, beginning with finance and grants systems to support overseas projects. Streamline decision-making and improve the balance of power between headquarters and field projects. Review salary compensation and decrease the large disparities between top management and management staff. Transform valuing workplace diversity talk into real action, assure that managers are not only trained in these policies but that they also comply.

Worked for Academy for Educational Development? Contribute to the Community!