Acadia Healthcare Reviews

2.2
Acadia Healthcare Chairman and CEO Joey A. Jacobs
Joey A. Jacobs

MHT

I have been working at Acadia Healthcare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of OT options, no college required (HS or GED + clean criminal record), always hiring,

Cons

Minimal training for MHT position (challenging if no previous psych experience). staff turnover is high and especially with adolescents risk of minor injury by patient. frequent change in management means changes in policy, procedures, expectations

Advice to Management

improve training and offer incentive pay to encourage retention, provide written procedures to assist in handling unexpected situations

I had to constantly watch my back.

Former Employee - Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner in Columbus, OH

I worked at Acadia Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There was a lot of money to be made. They only want independent contractors, which I liked. It gave a clinician the freedom to work as much or as little as you want.

Cons

The company cut corners. They did not treat their staff or patients well. They hired "sketchy" clinicians.

Advice to Management

Be supportive of staff. Be sincere, and don't just provide "lip service."

3. Philadelphians: Run for the Hills!!!!!

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Acadia Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They tell you that you should be lucky that you have a job. Is that a pro? Probably not; however, I do agree that having some sort of paycheck is nice.

Cons

When Einstein Hospital sold their Belmont Center for Comprehensive Treatment facility, a psyche facility of approximately 143 bed, to Acadia Healthcare, we did not know what to expect. The transition was a complete joke. It has been almost a month after this transition and we still are using Einstein forms. Acadia has NEVER posted their employment policies anywhere and we were directly told to continue following Einstein policies. However, we are NO LONGER Einstein employees and NO LONGER have access to their policies. Communication is a complete joke. There is NO COMMUNICATION. I've gotten more information from a rock. This is sad. If you send an email to most anyone NO ONE replies. Instead, someone tries to speak to you verbally so that there is no email trail and they cannot be held accountable. This is pathetic. Although they honored a 2% raise Einstein had promised its employees, if you were still entitled to a raise for either new skills learned or yearly review they did not give it; instead, they gave every fictitious reason as to how they are "working on it" but nothing happens. We are soooooo short staffed at this moment that working on the floors has become a daily crap shoot and very dangerous! Their own website does not even have a career tab when you visit the Belmont Behavioral Hospital site; yet they talk about having a job fair in August. How in the world a company can take over a psychiatric hospital and not have its website ready to go, even for employment possibilities, is most pathetic. AND if you were participating in Einstein's tuition reimbursement plan... no more. They have NO TUITION REIMBURSEMENT and have no intention of offering it at this facility. Their version of investing in their employees is to have an employee of the month and an off-site Christmas party (this is their actual answer). ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC!

Advice to Management

Try giving a crap about your employees. Unlike most other hospitals in the region, you have no idea what it means to utilize a true collaborative effort in policy creation, patient care, and safety management. Have your CEO take his sports coat off and roll up his sleeves and hit the floors with the nurses and behavioral health associates to see what it really is like on a day to day basis and to assess where true areas of opportunity exist to better the overall care provided to the patients and how to appreciate your staff. The work "communication" is in the dictionary. Your company has no idea what that word means. And lastly, invest in your employees. A carrot-and-stick investment is the antithesis of a substantive employee investment. Discard the former and stick with the latter. Your company will actually retain employees that way rather than having almost everyone placing applications with other hospitals in the region.

5. Team oriented

I have been working at Acadia Healthcare full-time

Pros

Very team oriented environment. You feel you are making a difference and not just a number.

Cons

Internal communications could be a little better. But I believe leadership is working on it.

6. Great Opportunity for Growth

I have been working at Acadia Healthcare full-time

Pros

I love the culture and the willingness to train.

Cons

Lots of different facilities with different ways of doing things.

Advice to Management

Keep on growing, but don't forget your people in the field!

Mental HealthTherapist

Current Employee - Mental Health Therapist in Beaver, WV
    Current Employee - Mental Health Therapist in Beaver, WV

I have been working at Acadia Healthcare

Pros

Great Staff. Positive work environment. .really enjoy the population I work with

Cons

Does not appreciate Degrees,credentials although they are required to have the job. Salary is very insulting

Advice to Management

I work there because I like the patient population and the staff. Salary seems to match how the company feels about the staff. Compensate you staff that do a good job are qualified and want to be there

Some People Should Never Manage Others

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Acadia Healthcare

Pros

The job somewhat fit my experience and knowledge. A paycheck (sort of). Benefits (not really - with held and retirement cashed out against my will)

Cons

Management played games and aligned the entire team against one individual and thought the results were funny. Every lie that could be told was. The manager got the team ready to reject the new employee before they ever arrived. Never go to work for this company. Upper level management clearly doesn't care what lower management does so lower level management can do whatever they want.

Advice to Management

Don't allow lower managers to manage without constant oversight and supervision. Listen to your employees and make it possible for them to report abusive situations so they cannot be told they will be fired if they ever go to HR directly. Just be very careful of giving lower management any leeway or they will lose you the truly exceptional staff.

Company was very good with scheduling and trying to fit your needs.

Former Employee - Care Case Management Specialist/RN in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Care Case Management Specialist/RN in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Acadia Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People all worked well together not a lot of drama.

Cons

Training needed to be more extensive for some people or you ended up working with someone that was inexperienced

Advice to Management

Continue training hands on not just updates by memos.

addictions counselor

Former Employee - Substance Abuse Counselor in Charlestown, IN
    Former Employee - Substance Abuse Counselor in Charlestown, IN

I worked at Acadia Healthcare

Pros

Coworkers and most supervisors at the local level were great to work with. Working with patients is very rewarding (if that is where your heart is).

Cons

The pay is insulting. Upper management continues to pour the orange Kool-Aid down everyone's throat. Tries to convince you they pay "fair market wages". If you question this, you are a "trouble maker". Also some of the staff (non-degreed) who have access to employees' private information does not use confidentiality.

Advice to Management

The management at the local level just has to do what they're told. I really do not have advice for them other than to look for other employment because all of their jobs are threatened at least on a weekly basis.

Horrible company..

Current Employee - Anonymous in Lafayette, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Lafayette, LA

I have been working at Acadia Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Get a paycheck (somewhat), great employees (who won't be there much longer due to lay offs)

Cons

This place used to be a great place to work. However, things went down hill once Acadia bought us out. Nearly all of administration was fired and now they have corporate folks running the show that have no idea how to manage a psych facility. You're forced to work 12 - 18 hour shifts with no break. Half the time your pay check isn't right and they won't give you the money for the hours you worked. They don't pay you the shift diff's like they are supposed to. Staffing is horrible. Due to lack of staff and proper management, this is a very unsafe place to work. Not enough staff to properly watch and manage the patients. Patients don't get the care that they need due to the minimal staff. Patients leave and come right back because they weren't properly treated. They don't care about their employees, patients, or anything else except making money. I wouldn't recommend working here.

Advice to Management

You are about to lose a lot of great, dedicated, and loyal employees who actually care about the patients. I understand that this is a business and you need to be profitable but with the route you're going, you're going to end up failing because you can't keep employees or your patients safe. You will either bankrupt or be sued due to malpractice, neglect, and abuse of your patients because all you care about is money.

RSS Feed </> Embed