Acapulco/EL Torito Restaurants

Updated Apr 4, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Chris Thomas

A great and fun place to work. Thank you, Acapulco! You will be missed.

General Manager (Former Employee)
Modesto, CA

I worked at Acapulco/EL Torito Restaurants

ProsGood product, atmosphere, and concept. Guests always in a great mood. Mariachi bands, DJ
's, and dancing. What about that is not to love.

ConsNot much. Loved everything about it, but some more training work shops to keep the team strong.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management needs to step it up. The reason it is going down in flames.

Fun

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Acapulco/EL Torito Restaurants

ProsOverall I had a positive experience

ConsNone that i can think of

Good Experience, Great coworkers

Waitress (Former Employee)
Sherman Oaks, CA

I worked at Acapulco/EL Torito Restaurants full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat people to work with. Their food and produce is made freshly each morning. Great taste of food to sell to restaurant guests. Good locations. Depending on the managers, some are very helpful and want you, as an employee to grow. For waiters, they create incentives to win small prices based on sell.

ConsDepending on the management, the restaurant can be at times disorganized on high volume periods. Depending on management, at times the environment can be unprofessional in where managers can create personal bias amongst workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementA more constant supervision on the restaurant managers to ensure there's a professional environment between managers and employees. Other than that, these are great restaurants to learn from and work at.

My experience has been decent due to other friendly employees.

I have been working at Acapulco/EL Torito Restaurants part-time for more than 3 years

ProsTips are the only reason i have stayed for so long.

ConsHours suck due to lack of business. The lack of business then affects just about everything else in a negative fashion.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a better way of bringing in business; instead of raising prices try lowering them.

No sense of direction- No vision

General Manager (Former Employee)
New York, NY

Major Changes at VP level needed

Company in transition

Server (Current Employee)
Anaheim, CA

ProsNew emphasis on the quality of the guest experieice; better service without singular focus on cost cutting; lots of menu changes and better food. Stable and loyal employees.

ConsNew ownership and revolving door at the top of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't take a step back by returning to cost cutting. Stay the course on improviements in the guest experience.

Not great if not Spanish speaking

Bartender (Current Employee)

I have been working at Acapulco/EL Torito Restaurants part-time

ProsPays the bills, decent food

ConsMostly Spanish speakers, not very sanitary,

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect all employees equally and listen to them

Lots of work with little reward

Manager (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Acapulco/EL Torito Restaurants full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMom and pop mentality of "fix it yourself" gives you more knowledge about the business and how to save money on budget.

ConsSenior Management- regional managers that speak little english. They know most of their managers have worked their way up the company from bussers and dishwashers so they treat them like they have no other management opportunities available and work them to death.

It was an "OK" place to work for while I attended school.

Waitress (Current Employee)
Azusa, CA

I have been working at Acapulco/EL Torito Restaurants

ProsPart time employment and flexible schedule

ConsSome of the mangagers have horrible communication skills

Good people working but company does not take care of employers well

Server (Current Employee)

I have been working at Acapulco/EL Torito Restaurants

ProsThere is a great collection of people that are friendly and hardworking. I've worked at other service industry jobs and compared to some others, I think that the managers do a good job of selecting people who have good work ethics. Everyone helps out and we try to reach goals together. There is no competitive tension between the workers so it is a good environment to work in.

ConsA lot of times, we are understaffed, and that creates unhappy customers. Being understaffed means bad service, which means bad experience for the customer, which means managers have to discount food and lose money, and no tip even though we are hustling to try and get food and drink to every table while keeping on a smile. At the end of the night, its a discouraging feeling to go home exhausted, making half of what you could have made because there were too many customers compared to the workers. Also, the training process was a little iffy. I see newbies come in and they do not get the proper training they deserve, therefore making them feel uncomfortable with the new environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementA little goes a long way. Just like how a small act of kindness from another person can make you smile and feel like doing more good, El Torito should think of ways to make the workers happy. We've had lots of talks about the guest and treating the guest right, which is a little redundant because if we didn't know that or want to do that, we would not be putting ourselves through working at a service oriented workplace. I understand that our managers are doing this because there is instruction from higher ups to promote these ideas, but in all honesties, a lot of times our service becomes under par because we are so understaffed! If we get bombarded with tables because the managers are under strict eye to keep labor percentages low, it is not our fault that we cannot give each customer the service they deserve. We try to, but a person can only be in one place at one time. It just makes me wonder if the higher ups know what we go through to try and live up to their expectations. I know all they see are the numbers, not the people doing their best, because that is how we (as servers and hosts and bartenders) make a living. We make most of our money on tip, so of course we would like to treat our customers well and have them take care of us too.

A couple other things. One thing is that I was suprised when I found out that we do not get paid time and a half for working holidays. I understand that it is not the law to have to pay employers time and a half, but its just another thing that would lighten our mood a bit when we have to leave our families to come into work for Christmas, 4th of July, etc. Also, many other restaurant companies have benefits for their employers, but El Torito has none that they offer. It seems like it is an established company having been in business for so long, and I am curious to know why they do not offer benefits. Us servers/hosts/bartenders are technically at the bottom of the food chain, but we are the ones that interact with the customers and make the company happen. I get the feeling that they try to save money by not spending on those that actually do the dirty work. Happy employees make for a happier and more thriving company. It would be great to see the higher ups try to make a better environment for us, so that we can create an even better environment for our customers.

Worked for Acapulco/EL Torito Restaurants? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Acapulco/EL Torito Restaurants reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Acapulco/EL Torito Restaurants CEO Chris Thomas. All 15 reviews posted anonymously by Acapulco/EL Torito Restaurants employees.