Accela, Inc.

Add Photos

Maury Blackman

Moderately OK place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Ramon, CA

ProsFor the most part, the people here are very pleasant to work with. There are, of course, some notable exceptions – as with most companies. The company is growing very fast, so there are quite a few opportunities available for growth. The headquarters, in San Ramon, is located near some nice places to eat lunch, the iron horse trail, a couple of gyms, plus a convenient shopping center. Public transportation is also available For commuters.

ConsThe salaries here are lower than the industry standard. Accela does not offer their employees bonuses, and the yearly raises are very minimal — typically 1 to 2%, barely covering the cost of inflation. Depending on the group you are in, you might be required to work quite a bit of overtime on a regular basis. Also, the communication between departments is very poor. There also a great deal of managers — more than one would think is necessary.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide better compensation to your employees, remove excess managers, and higher more "hands on" employees.

Great place to work, Great people to work with!

Senior Front End Engineer (Current Employee) San Ramon, CA

ProsGreat market placement, office perks, and a great location with a growing team of positive people. I enjoy coming to work every day!

Executive management puts the subject matter experts in the drivers seat, while provide high level direction. Exactly how I envision a successful company!

ConsOnly 2 days catered lunch?? But really, I've referred friends to work here so that should speak for itself.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinuing pushing the business forward!

Couldn't Be Happier!

ProsWhen I first started, I was told there weren't any "jerks" that work here. That is something I always remember and amazingly, still holds true. I have had nothing but a great experience and am excited for what's in store! Catered lunch every Monday and Wednesday, free snacks and drinks available to everyone and cool new renovations.

ConsI appreciate you watching my waistline but would appreciate a potato chip now and then.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work and keep finding ways to make your employees happy! I'm truly excited for Accela's future!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

RUN!!!!!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Ramon, CA

ProsHave been here for more than a year and I have yet to discover the Pros of working here

ConsThe executive management team here lack major experiences (with the exception of 1, search in LinkedIn for detail). Lack of accountability is a HUGE culture here that stems from the top down. The products that this company sells are old software with LOTS of patch jobs that aren't innovative at all. New comers with Fortune 500 companies background/experiences with their new ideas are sorely to be disappointed due to management's lack of support for implementation (shockingly quite a few people in the management positions does not have college degree), best of all, you will most likely end up working in a completely different role than what you were initially hired for. Career development, cross training and collaboration are non-existent here. Every department works in its own silo. The profitability of this company is very questionable, but yet the constant spending of trying to make itself appear like a Google, FB, Twitter and the rest of the fun startups here in the Bay Area, with the free lunches, snacks & board games, yet, employees here have not seen any performance/merit raises in years. The office commute from anywhere outside of the San Ramon/Dublin/Pleasanton area is a nightmare! Beware of the "glowing" positive reviews on this website - it's a marketing strategy. I would implore you to read all of the rest of the reviews on this site and consider your options extremely carefully. If you simply want a paycheck and does not care how the company treats its employees, then I suppose this place will work.

Advice to Senior ManagementLike someone who previously mentioned, "replace yourselves"

Great Company! Headed in an exciting direction.

Manager (Current Employee) San Ramon, CA

ProsLots of new talent in key positions mixed with the best veterans from the company. Accela is headed in an exciting direction and is poised for lots of growth over the next several years. Competitive pay, great benefits and perks. Very rewarding working to bring government into the 21st century.

ConsBit of a commute sometimes with the 680 traffic.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep hiring the best new talent.

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Ramon, CA

ProsIdeal Location, Growing company, chance to implement ideas into processes and procedures.

ConsSome areas are very manual so as the company grows will need to upgrade systems to support the business

Advice to Senior ManagementStay cohesive as an Executive Team so that filters down throughout the company with teamwork.

Not a cutting edge company

ProsPros - There seems to be a niche market for the software. Not many competitors so it's amazing that it is sold so cheaply.

ConsCons - The Executive Management has never run a company. The software is sold with enhancements. Old technology. Not a hip, forward thinking company. Think government...bureaucratic, slow to change, micromanaged and very manual. There is lots of fat - mostly at the top. It's a do what I say, not do what I do kind of company.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace yourselves.

Operational inefficiency

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Ramon, CA

ProsNo pressure to perform, add value or execute - so if you are looking for a company where you can show up, do some work and go home - this is the place for you.

ConsToo many to list - highlights: junior executives (no experience running a company and it's obvious), severe micromanagement, outdated policies, outdated employees

Advice to Senior ManagementHire folks who know how to run a software company.

Worst of Both Worlds: Small Company Resources, Big Company Silos & Micromanagement

Various Corporate and Customer Facing Roles (Current Employee) San Ramon, CA

ProsIf you believe in helping local and state governments become more efficient by automating their processes...you might want to work here. Accela software can have a real impact. It can be cool to know you're helping governments do more with less and perform their services better even during an economic downturn. But the software still isn't as innovative as it could be.

ConsIf you want to work for a dynamic, flexible company that empowers its employees and has innovative management...forget about it. The whole structure of the company is weak from the top down. There's no real strategy or plan from year to year. Most of the executive team is personally connected to the owner but lack many basic business skills or education. Most of them have never worked at any successful software company. Top execs almost entirely male. Only a couple of women in senior positions. The exec culture also demonstrates disrespect for the staff. They don't empower their workers and they don't respect the expertise or advice of their employees. Even when they hire people with successful track records and deep experience at other companies they ignore their knowledge. It's the classic B-school textbook chapter about how mediocre management forces mediocrity on the entire organization. The classic downward spiral.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry hiring good people and *listening* to them. Give them the tools & resources they need and then let them SOAR. Stop trying to micromanage functional areas you know nothing about. That's how successful companies happen...dudes. Another good idea would be cleaning house and replacing yourselves with execs who know how to grow successful companies.

Multiple implementation management

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Ramon, CA

ProsThe variety and complexity of the deployment work within all sizes of government agencies provides a rewarding and challenging career option.

ConsPrior to the downturn in the economy, staff were stretched thin. After layoffs and departures, staff are overworked and under rewarded for their efforts.

Worked for Accela, Inc.? Contribute to the Community!