Accela, Inc. Reviews

2.9
Maury Blackman

1. Love it here!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Accela, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

. Great co-workers . Very fun, high tech, creative culture . Great growth opportunities within the company . Amazing to find a great software company like this in the tri-valley . Above market pay . Great benefits . My managers are extremely appreciative of the work I do . Good soft skill training classes offered in house . Great mentors and role models at the SVP level (I'm sure other levels too) . Nice building and location is close to walking trails, park, restaurants and shopping center . With so many new companies that we have acquired, this has been a fun and exciting time. Things are changing but I feel like that's enviable. I don't see it as a bad thing. . We have a Fun Committee that tries very hard to get employee participation and get everyone involved in fun events . We also have snacks, drinks and lunches that other have mentioned. It's a perk but not the reason I am here. . Farmers market on Thursdays and Food truck on other days . Hours are flexible (within reason) . There is a good work/life balance . I like that the company puts money back into things for the employees. . We have nice new spaces for conference rooms with modern equipment.

Cons

. Communication can always be improved. I think this is true no matter where you work. . Would be nice to see more built around our values of love, trust, creativity. . Sometimes we reinvent the wheel, when it's not necessary. That goes back to communication.

Advice to Management

Continue to communicate as much as possible and be transparent. We have been growing so rapidly that it is important to continue to keep those close relationships with the people that work here so we all feel connected.

Issues are plentiful

I worked at Accela, Inc. full-time

Pros

Accela offers really good benefits and some nice perks. The free lunches twice a week and snacks get you through the day! I really appreciated the work/life balance during my time at Accela, I never felt like work infringed on my personal time.

Cons

Many. The work environment can be toxic. Departments are silo'd and do not collaborate well at all. There are a lot of new managers who point fingers instead of trying to fix issues and create an environment conducive to teamwork. There is a serious disconnect in employee - manager expectations and transparency is scarce.

Advice to Management

Please be transparent and deflate the egos. Treat all employees, from entry level to Sr. VP's, with respect. Fixing the culture issues will take time and open-mindedness.

Only work here if you have to.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Accela, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are nice. Company provides lunch 2 days a week by various catering companies with vegetarians in mind. There is so much potential in local government software. Work-life balance is exceptional.

Cons

People are quitting left and right. Management is inexperienced. Communication is poor. There is no product foresight, no plan, no direction. Nothing gets completed. Product infrastructure is so overly-complicated and dated, there is no opportunity for innovation. IT support is horrible/non-existant.

Advice to Management

Create a plan, get executive sign-off and communicate the to the entire company. Manage accordingly, create realistic milestones (given the limited resources) and think about replacing yourself to learn management skills from someone with experience.

Exciting growth and opportunity for those that want it!

Current Employee - Vice President Sales
    Current Employee - Vice President Sales

I have been working at Accela, Inc. full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fast paced company with marketing leading products. Innovation is welcomed. Willing to try new things and expand the company footprint in the market. Many recent acquisitions means new opportunities for employees. Above market average salaries and amazing people in the company.

Cons

Aggressive growth of company creates growing pains. Takes a little extra work to just keep up with all the change.

Advice to Management

Continue on the same path and don't let off the gas. The market is in much need of what we are building. Let's keep growing by brining in top talent.

Do Not Join Accela

I have been working at Accela, Inc. full-time

Pros

Food brought twice a week. Lots of snacks in the kitchen. Fun committee is very active and hold a number of events throughout the year. Nicely located in Bishop Ranch , San Ramon, CA.

Cons

No direction and extremely poor communication by management. Lots of work. As we buy more companies the workload continues to increase. Lots of turnover, resulting in a tremendous amount of work for those remaining. A large number of employees are looking to leave Accela.

Advice to Management

Please provide guidance and direction. Most importantly communicate with employees. Help reduce employee turnover by assisting employees reduce their frustration and stress levels. You are losing good employees. The attitude of we will just hire replacements is not the solution; it is time consuming and expensive. New hire have to be trained.

Do not join

I have been working at Accela, Inc. full-time

Pros

provides free lunch two times a week

Cons

Not Stable. No value for hard work.

Advice to Management

Management needs to be replaced.

Help me help you

Former Employee - IT Service Desk Agent in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - IT Service Desk Agent in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Accela, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and great product. Food brought in twice a week. Many fun events.

Cons

Growing to fast to stay afloat. Need more internal suport.

Advice to Management

Keep the good people you have. Don't think the new person is going to be as good.

Professional

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hughson, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hughson, CA

I worked at Accela, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Open modern space environment. Latest tools and technology. Free lunches on Monday and Wednesday.

Cons

Not strong strategic planning from leadership, shoot from the hip mentality

marketing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Accela, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good products, strong customer care, nice people

Cons

Growing very quickly, some organizational challenges

Advice to Management

Hire experienced people

Lack of Communication/Direction

I worked at Accela, Inc. (More than a year)

Pros

Individual contributors. The 1-star is just for them.

Cons

There is absolutely no communication at all between executives and senior managers. For 3 weeks prior to my last day, I could not get my manager to even respond to my emails. There were a lot of internal issues that needed his attention and he completely either ignored it or did not have the guts to face it. Throwing people under the bus to save their own a** is very common part of the culture. There is no accountability. Don't even start with the acquisitions. There is absolutely no clear path to who sells what since every acquired company has their own VP of sales.

Advice to Management

Communicate...Communicate...Communicate... Let your management team know about issues instead of ignoring them. Care for the individual employees.

RSS Feed </> Embed