Accela, Inc.

Updated January 22, 2015
Updated January 22, 2015
3.1

Maury Blackman

Fast Growing Company, Friendly People, Good Work Life Balance...

I have been working at Accela, Inc.

Pros

Accela is pretty good place to work. People are friendly. The company is growing faster than it can keep pace with. And there are a fair amount of perks, like free lunches a couple days a week, flexible work culture, etc... Furthermore, I would say there is a great work life balance at this company. The civic tech space is interesting and Accela has a few very cutting edge products that are exciting. Lastly, management is very accessible. Even though there are 400 people at the company, I think it's very easy to have a conversation with senior leadership and senior leadership has a fairly open mind when listening to employees. This is a company where there is a huge opportunity to make an impact.

Cons

-The company is turning into a bigger company, whereas the playbook for getting things done in the company is still geared towards a smaller organization. There are growing pains involved with this as the company turns into a bigger organization.
    -Titles are a little deflated in the company, managers who should be senior managers, senior managers who should be directors, and directors who should be vps, etc...
    -Compensation is not always commensurate with experience. There are some people in the company who get paid above market rate and some people who get paid below. The company doesn't have benchmarks for salaries. It just depends on what team you join and who the manager is. So you could have two people with the very similar experience join two separate teams and making vastly different salaries.

-The little perks make a big difference in terms of employee happiness. Keep those things up.
    -Maintain an open mind. That spirit of openness is a very positive attribute for the company.

OK experience

I have been working at Accela, Inc.

Pros

working places is a lit cround, have free lunch some times. but not every day. it a ok experience.

Cons

not chanllegne. the bad thing is you have to work with the offshore team

management is not clear very much. most a by conversation.

All marketing fluff. No real substance in the company.

I have been working at Accela, Inc. full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you live in east bay area and can't find decent job somewhere else, you may consider this company. Office is located in Bishop Ranch business park. Its a nice business park close to parks, trails and local eateries.

Cons

Too many to list. Its a marketing driven company which gives more importance to showing off than working in collaboration to create great products. There is a lots of discrimination of how you are treated and rewarded in the company. Company product development is done in China. There is often seem to be conflict among different management people and tiers for discriminatory reasons.

Exciting work, great people

Current Employee - Marketing Group in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Group in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Accela, Inc. full-time

Pros

I was looking for a growing company where I could have job variety, new opportunities, recognition, autonomy, the ability to make meaningful contributions, the ability to stretch, learn and grow, and the feeling like what I do matters. I also wanted a supportive boss who coached me and gave me learning opportunities, a drama-free team, and a fun environment.

So far I have found Accela to be a great place to work. People are friendly, helpful, and fun. There is a ton to do and it is really busy, but it isn’t stressful. My manager and other managers seem to generally care, want to have happy employees and want to build a great team. I feel valued and I feel like they are making a positive investment in me. So far my experience, though very short, has been very positive. I really hope it continues in this trajectory, but since it has been great so far, I wanted to post about it. I always look at Glassdoor, so I wanted to add my opinion on here of my experience so far.

Other great perks as well - brand new computer and phone, logo backpack (fun, functional, and gives a great sense of pride! Plus, free marketing). I love the free coffee, drinks, snacks, and breakfast foods. Plus, 2 days a week of catered food that is relatively healthy and has a lot of variety is awesome. It would be great if there was a free gym/treadmill/weights/yoga, but there is a walking/running trail right there plus access to showers, so that is nice.

The office location is great; not too many companies are in the East Bay, so that was a major factor for me in looking for a company. I was potentially willing to travel further, but so happy to find this. The Bishop Ranch park area is really nice also - greenery around, views of the hills. Plus, many options for restaurants, food trucks and farmers markets. Covered parking is available also.

Cons

Many people seem to have been hired in at lower titles than they previously held. If the work is great, hiring is fair, and it doesn't prevent you from getting things done, it isn't the worst thing, but I bet a lot of people are hoping for promotions.

Continue to invest in people, care about your employees, promote from within, move in exciting directions, and offer great perks. Having great leaders creates great teams that produce great work.

Great place to work, Great people to work with!

Current Employee - Senior Front End Engineer in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Front End Engineer in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Accela, Inc. full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great market placement, office perks, and a great location with a growing team of positive people. I enjoy coming to work every day!

Executive management puts the subject matter experts in the drivers seat, while provide high level direction. Exactly how I envision a successful company!

Cons

Only 2 days catered lunch?? But really, I've referred friends to work here so that should speak for itself.

Continuing pushing the business forward!

Moderately OK place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Accela, Inc. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

For the most part, the people here are very pleasant to work with. There are, of course, some notable exceptions – as with most companies. The company is growing very fast, so there are quite a few opportunities available for growth. The headquarters, in San Ramon, is located near some nice places to eat lunch, the iron horse trail, a couple of gyms, plus a convenient shopping center. Public transportation is also available For commuters.

Cons

The salaries here are lower than the industry standard. Accela does not offer their employees bonuses, and the yearly raises are very minimal — typically 1 to 2%, barely covering the cost of inflation. Depending on the group you are in, you might be required to work quite a bit of overtime on a regular basis. Also, the communication between departments is very poor. There also a great deal of managers — more than one would think is necessary.

Provide better compensation to your employees, remove excess managers, and higher more "hands on" employees.

Couldn't Be Happier!

I have been working at Accela, Inc. full-time (more than a year)

Pros

When I first started, I was told there weren't any "jerks" that work here. That is something I always remember and amazingly, still holds true. I have had nothing but a great experience and am excited for what's in store! Catered lunch every Monday and Wednesday, free snacks and drinks available to everyone and cool new renovations.

Cons

I appreciate you watching my waistline but would appreciate a potato chip now and then.

Keep up the good work and keep finding ways to make your employees happy! I'm truly excited for Accela's future!

RUN!!!!!

I have been working at Accela, Inc. full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Have been here for more than a year and I have yet to discover the Pros of working here

Cons

The executive management team here lack major experiences (with the exception of 1, search in LinkedIn for detail). Lack of accountability is a HUGE culture here that stems from the top down. The products that this company sells are old software with LOTS of patch jobs that aren't innovative at all. New comers with Fortune 500 companies background/experiences with their new ideas are sorely to be disappointed due to management's lack of support for implementation (shockingly quite a few people in the management positions does not have college degree), best of all, you will most likely end up working in a completely different role than what you were initially hired for. Career development, cross training and collaboration are non-existent here. Every department works in its own silo. The profitability of this company is very questionable, but yet the constant spending of trying to make itself appear like a Google, FB, Twitter and the rest of the fun startups here in the Bay Area, with the free lunches, snacks & board games, yet, employees here have not seen any performance/merit raises in years. The office commute from anywhere outside of the San Ramon/Dublin/Pleasanton area is a nightmare! Beware of the "glowing" positive reviews on this website - it's a marketing strategy. I would implore you to read all of the rest of the reviews on this site and consider your options extremely carefully. If you simply want a paycheck and does not care how the company treats its employees, then I suppose this place will work.

Like someone who previously mentioned, "replace yourselves"

Great Company! Headed in an exciting direction.

Current Employee - Manager in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Accela, Inc. full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Lots of new talent in key positions mixed with the best veterans from the company. Accela is headed in an exciting direction and is poised for lots of growth over the next several years. Competitive pay, great benefits and perks. Very rewarding working to bring government into the 21st century.

Cons

Bit of a commute sometimes with the 680 traffic.

Keep hiring the best new talent.

Great place to work

I have been working at Accela, Inc. full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Ideal Location, Growing company, chance to implement ideas into processes and procedures.

Cons

Some areas are very manual so as the company grows will need to upgrade systems to support the business

Stay cohesive as an Executive Team so that filters down throughout the company with teamwork.