Accelera Solutions

Updated December 23, 2014
Updated December 23, 2014
2.5

Chong (L.C.) Yi

As challenging as it can sometimes be, it is exciting working in a small company where I can make a difference.

I have been working at Accelera Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The nature of a small technology firm allows me to make a difference. Although at times not everyone marches to the same drum, we all play a roll in the amount of success we can influence.

Cons

I am sure I can shop the market in the Northern Virginia job market and receive a pay increase. Leadership has recently gone through some changes and the results remain to be seen.

Pick a path and stick to it long enough for the rest of us to get behind.

Get in for the long haul and expect to be asked to pull your own weight, you will be rewarded.

Current Employee - Manager in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Accelera Solutions full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

the people. I love the people. Is it a mix? yep. I've been here longer than anyone else and I've seen them all come and seen them all go and I really miss many of you. I am a member of management and have watched how the changes have affected things here for many years. There is an open door policy. Anyone can talk to ANYONE here. you may be redirected to your leadership, but like any other chain of command, if you don't like the response you get from your manager, take it up a level.

You will be challenged here. You will work with technologies you may not have played with before. You will be asked to get certified as part of your annual review process in some of those technologies. If you come in the door with a heavy strength in a skillset, you will be leaned on for that ability. And if you can teach or share that skillset, you will definitely be recognized and appreciated. Here is your basis for career advancement.

Training and Certifications: We compensate you for all passed certifications, and we maintain a membership with a knowledgebase website for training on technologies for all our staff to access from anywhere.

BYOD and working from home are two things that we do here at HQ that are pretty popular, but can cause management heartburn at times. You have to be able to do your job, and being billable are primary concerns for us. Everyone needs downtime, but working remotely for a customer can allow for a much more relaxed environment, especially at home. I'm really glad we're opening this door and expanding that ability. However, depending on customer needs and your role here, not everyone can participate unfortunately.

We have good benefits: 401k, health, dental, vision, cell phone reimbursement, BYOD.

Cons

TEAMBUILDING is very important to many of us. I build my teams with a specific mindset and skillset in mind. I think that we lack in some teambuilding activities, but that happens because we tend to run lean on engineers, so EVERYONE is busy... not leaving much schedulable downtime.

You have to be adaptable. I expect my team to trust their brothers and sisters and myself. I expect them to be able to depend on each other. You're sick? I'm gonna ask you if you will answer emails and still work from home so you don't lose a sick day/vacation day if I'm shorthanded or swamped that day and can swing a remote engineer on a project. You like working in a cubefarm on a 9 to 5er? You aren't going to get that very often. We have some FTE's that do that on a customers site, but most of our engineers are moving to a new location and a new challenge every week or so.

I don't think the "groups" or the "cliques" affect my ability to do my job nor my teams ability to do their jobs. And if it does affect my teams ability, they better come tell me. You're here to do a job, and my job as a manager is to make sure that you can do it. How high you "rank" in the "cool kids club" has no bearing here and makes your case seem petty unless it somehow affects your ability to work.

Send out more internal feedback requests and listen to your people. Explain why things requested are NOT done, but the feedback tool has to be used.

Keep up the outbound communications feed. Getting people together allows for good internal socialization as well as face to face with leadership and management.

Falling off the rails...

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Accelera Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Employees are great to each other. The sense of team and being there for one another is really solid. I like the peers I have around me, and I can trust them all to support me. Corporate office is near some decent places to eat, always helpful at lunch time.

Cons

Where to start.. first, we are a work at home company that makes the employees come into the office to work 3 days a week. Second- the pay is not good. Someone else said it is because of the deep bench, that is not true. It is because the company financials are not solid, so they can't pay where the market is. I came on being promised a "bonus" to get my pay to the low market area, which I was reluctantly ok with. But 2 years now and no bonus. It is all just a facade. Third- layoffs... seems like every week someone else if being let go. And now they walk out people who quit when they quit. Makes for a creepy feeling like no one is secure in anything. Fourth- Services leadership is clueless. We now have a leader in place who clearly has never lead people. The arrogance from this role will be the reason that this place folds. Fifth- the groups... another review said this is normal, not to this level. This place is built on the clique. If you are in with the owners' wives, then you are out, plain and simple. It is sad that it is this way, but it is their company, so they can do as they like. But to say this is normal is just a falsehood.

Last note on this- STAY AWAY!! This place puts on a great face to get you in, but it will fly apart fast. Just window shop the jobs here or you will hate yourself in a year. Easier to avoid from day one!! Trust me, people are scrambling to get out of here. Save yourself, and be wiser than we were.

1- stop the madness of walking out people who resign. It is demeaning and cruel. If you don't want them there, tell them to leave at the end of the day. No need to freak the rest of us out.
    2- listen to the employees. You need to pay more. You are way off the mark and saying bonuses will help is not true, they never come.
    3- put a solid leader over Services. Your current choice is wrong. Look at your company now compared to a year ago. Just in morale. It is way off and it is directly related to him. Help us by giving us a safe place to work.
    4- practice what you preach. Work from home when we are needed with a customer. Making us come in just to have us there is like babysitting and it is degrading.
    5- end the groups. I know this will never happen, but the favoritism from the execs is wrong. You can't have your wife's friends be your right-hand people just because they know you.

I was going to give this company 2 stars, but after seeing so many fabricated reviews, I can't.

I have been working at Accelera Solutions full-time

Pros

Like many posts on this company, this company WAS once a top flight visualization company. They have rested on their laurels to the point where they have completely lost their reputation. Anyone that knows anything about visualization in the DC Metro area can confirm that.

If you want to learn and willing to pay your dues for a short time, this place is for you. If you want to advance your established career, don't bother.

Cons

Wow, where to start? Let's say first off that any review with 4-5 stars is being written by the owners or asked to be written by the owners. This company is completely dysfunctional at this point, and they are in a downward death spiral. I can see them dissolving maybe a year or two. Most of the new hires are from out of state. There is a big difference between making 60k in PA, OH, NC and 60k in Northern Virginia. Just remember that the price of a efficiency/studio in Fairfax is anywhere between 1200-1400 per month. The average household income is 100k in NOVA, which puts things in perspective.

Stocks don't mean anything. They will never sell at the asking price and the stocks aren't really yours. If you leave, you lose the stock. Also, there is no guarantee that the stock will be paid out, it's up to the potential buyer to decide. The stock thing is a farse. BYOD which really stands for buy your own device is horrible. They give you $1000 dollars for a laptop which seems nice. The catch is that you need to buy 24/7 support on that machine, so have fun buying a 500 dollar computer. Plus the computer isn't really yours. If you leave after one year, be prepared to pay back $666, fully covered after three years of employment - Amazing!

the problem is you.

Sad truth, but truth nonetheless...

I have been working at Accelera Solutions

Pros

We used to be the best in the area... If you wanted the top of virtualization, you called us. The "good ole days" as we now refer to them are the "Pros". The leadership, former engineers and developers themselves, knew what we did, how it was done, and why we did it that way. You really felt like they "got it". Everyone knew that we all had our talents and respected each other for that.

Cons

Geesh... it is almost too painful to write. The company that I once enjoyed and woke up ready to give 100% to each morning, now has turned its back on me and so many others. We as the employees don't matter anymore. Sitting through town-hall after town-hall about how things will get better and new leadership will turn it around, all just lies. This new leadership is the worst ever. I now understand why friends that work over where our new dictator came from laughed when I told them. Now I hate to get up each morning. I give 100% for my customers, but having to go into that office makes me ill each time I have to be there. And as other reviews stated, we are now required to go in and sit at our desks like school kids when we don't have a site visit to do. Which is getting to be more and more because there is no work. How about the managers focus on getting us more work and worry less about what we do when we aren't onsite with customers.

I have now seen so many good, talented engineers and managers leave over the last 3 months with no explanation. We all have to assume the rumors are true that this company is in BAD, BAD, BAD financial shape. There is no other reason to let go of the talent that we have lost other than money. Like another reviewer said, I can't see them hanging around more than a year or so. There is just not any revenue coming in. I ask about deals and little things I hear of for contracts, and nothing ever happens with them.

I heard we won SEWP which I thought was supposed to be good. Then I heard we lost every pre-sales resource that knows SEWP. Sure we could hire more pre-sales engineers, but I want to know why they left if we just got this great contract that would make them money? Something doesn't add up and being lied too all the time is really getting old.

Pay is not good here, but I am starting too see that it is all they can pay. There is just no money in this place. I know it seems like a broken record now, but it really is the truth. I think all of us here that are scrambling to get out, and it is almost all of us, would just warn those looking DON"T SIGN THE PAPER!!! STAY AWAY!!! You will regret it about 6 months into it. When the new wears off and you start seeing all of the bad stuff that is going on, just know that we tried to warn everyone. Run while you can!!

Get over yourselves!! You aren't the company, we are. The employees!! Stop treating us like kids!! It is insulting to have this big brother mentality. Stop asking us to come fill out these surveys about how great you are, because you aren't. We know you are a "top place to work". Pay enough money to any agency and you can be whatever you want. I read boards like this and it doesn't seem that everyone shares that belief.

Get new leadership for Services. We need a real leader who understands us, our customers and how to treat us. This will be the downfall of the part of this company that was awesome at one time.

Greatly improved over the last 12 months, at least in the Charleston Branch

Current Employee - Support Engineer in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Support Engineer in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Accelera Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

2014 is nearly over an a lot of changes have come out of the Charleston Branch. Leadership has improved and the team dynamic has done a total 180. Everyone is working together and entry level hires can go as far as their desire allows them. Internal promotions are much more common.

Finally getting some recognition from Headquarters for all the hard work that we put in is nice too.

Company sponsored events.
    Company pays for Certifications and sometimes sponsors training.

Cons

Leadership still needs improvement. Individual concerns are not always addressed
    Professionalism is somewhat lacking (good or bad depending on how you look at it)
    6-months to hire though a contract company is confusing and negotiating pay at your interview is awkward and muddy.
    Pay could be slightly better, but isn't horrible for the area.

You or your contract company needs to be MUCH more clear on how the pay works when being hired.
    Upper level management needs to be more involved with rest of team.

The Glory has Faded

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Accelera Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

When the company first started it was full of some really good engineers all the way from the leadership/ownership down to the new hire. It was a company for engineers ran by engineers and the quality of person they hired was staggeringly high which allowed for many members of the team to be pushed further, learn more, and grow faster. Steel Sharpens Steel was the mentality. Of course, this was all in the past.

Some good things that are still going on:
    1. Work from home two days a week for HQ. Downside is you have to remain billable which is difficult
    2. Amazing Medical Benefits. They are expensive per paycheck but you have a 0 deductible and 0 out of pocket which is pretty sweet. Unfortunately their other benefits are not so great.

Cons

Unfortunately, my previous "Pros" top section no longer applies to the company for the past 2.5 years. I feel as though the ownership has lost sight of what originally made Accelera an amazing company which were the people. They bet the farm on a new strategy of "hire young, inexperienced, and cheap people and train them to be amazing". Except they never trained them properly, threw them to the wolves the majority of the time, and rely heavily upon their top talent to constantly put out fires caused by the younger team members only to repeat the same mistakes and create the same fire the next week. Since their top talent has no way to grow or expand anymore, and they are not being used properly, they are leaving in floods and they are left with a shell of what "used to be" always trying to get back there but never willing to put up the upfront costs or give programs a try long enough for them to have an affect.

1. Steel Sharpens Steel, get in top talent and heavily invest in your existing top talent to keep them(which yes means you have to pay more) and utilize them correctly to mentor, train, and evolve the younger talent. You cannot just simply get inexperienced people and expect them to magically be awesome.
    2. Pay your people properly. Promising bonus' when you know you will not be delivering is just irresponsible and grows a culture of resentment with your team leading to people leaving. Stop trying to put in alternative compensation options like stock plans or bonus'. We don't want a worthless piece of paper or a promise, we want the real thing.
    3. Start asking the employee what they want and then actually deliver it. It doesn't help to send out a survey and then do nothing about the comments on the survey.
    4. Foster a relationship of trust, respect, and open dialog with your employees. It seems like everyone can see the low morale and large amount of people leaving except for management. If you are hiring people that you can just "replace at the drop of a hat" you are hiring the wrong type of person to begin with.
    5. Don't BS your employees. Be direct, tell them the truth, and ask for their help on making it better. If things are bad, tell them that, if things are good, tell them that. Don't just lie and think that no one will know you are lying.
    6. Give ideas a chance. Stop expecting everyone to be billable 95% of the time, and then also put in all of their own time trying to make things better. Work life balance is important and needs to be respected.
    7. Stop rotating out your senior management. In the past couple of years it has been a revolving door of VPs and Top Management who end up making drastic changes and then leave. Know the vision, communicate the vision, and make sure your team is always executing your vision and always moving forward on your vision. It is killing you to change strategies every 3 months and reorganizing every 6 months.
    8. Putting a financial number in front of your employees as the end of year goal does NOTHING to motivate them. Give me tangible goals and tell me how they affect the vision, and how I can affect the vision. Telling me to up-sell to a client who already hates us for screwing up or wants to know why we didn't sell them everything they needed to begin with is NOT beneficial.

Because I was told to post...

Current Employee - Engineer in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Accelera Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My co-workers. This seems to be a theme in the reviews. We all like each other and get along well. The 2 days we can work remotely is nice, although I expect more from a remote workplace company. Hasn't always been like this, just since new management came in over Services.

Cons

The management says one thing and does another. I was suppose to get a bonus, like another review said, but I haven't yet. I also heard that we won't get them again this year because the company is short on money. When I asked I was told to be thankful for a paycheck, not what I was expecting from management. Also I was told to come here and post. Was suppose to "post a positive review so the company isn't negatively reflected upon". That is stupid. If you don't want to be seen as negative, then don't be negative. I really used to like this place, but now I dread coming in. Too bad the market is slow and so many of us are trying to leave that we are flooding the same jobs. So we are all delayed in getting out of here. Another issue is layoffs. I am seeing one friend after another being let go. And it isn't that they are performing bad, they just don't have money to pay us anymore. Now we are at the holidays and I know, with so many others, that they will be laying off more people. They can't win any contracts, so we have no work to do. The people that are here aren't paid enough because you are promised that "bonus" that never shows up.

Don't tell us we will get this bonus when we won't. Just stop offering it. It never comes or you let us go before we get it so you don't have to pay it out to us. Also the new services leadership is not good. It is more like working for a tyrant that a motivator. No one should ever motivate by fear, but that is how we are talked too. And don't tell us we are supposed to come fill out surveys on-line. That is bogus just so you don't look bad to others. Then STOP treating us poorly and we won't make you look bad. So frustrating to see talent come in and in a few weeks realize that they signed up for a mistake. My advice to anyone looking at Accelera, stay away. It isn't worth it and the talk upfront is just talk. Don't believe the lies.

Good place...

I have been working at Accelera Solutions full-time

Pros

I have been very satisfied with working at Accelera. Salary could be a little higher but they have been very stable and I feel a great employer. I have been with the company 2+ years and have no desire to leave. Plus we just were awarded some HUGE contracts that will only help with the growth and opportunities within the organization

Cons

I guess salary could be better, but I think the pay is fair.

Could be great... but...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Accelera Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The worker bees themselves all seem to get along. I liked the people I was surrounded by on a daily basis and I could tell they all wanted to do a good job and make a difference.

Cons

The leaderships seems to be on your side at first, then it will change really quickly. The core leaders are very cliquish and if you are not in the chosen 5, then you are on the outside. The guys who have been there for 7 or more years form the clique and can and do as they want, how they want, when they want. There is no consequence for them because they have the president's personal attention. Also the focus seems to change on a dime. There is no concept of seeing something through, so direction is in constant shift. And now you have a power-hungry leader that is ignoring the words of his partners in order to show he is in charge.

Stop the cliques!! It is embarrassing in the beltway community to know that Accelera is known this way within its competitors. It is petty and it only breeds discomfort within the ranks below. Also you need to evaluate the comp plans as they are not industry averages. But to their credit we all sign anyway and work there, so I can see why they pay so low because people accept the low-ball salaries. Make the company what you share as the vision, stop just talking about it. **LC Yi is listed as the CEO, but this is wrong. LC is a great guy and should be running the place!!**