Accellion

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Yorgen H. Edholm

One of the most talented and amazing product and engineering team in the vally

Software Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Accellion full-time for more than a year

ProsHighly challenging work. Fantastic team with a great attitude. Amazing nourishing work culture wanting to go to work every day. Great growing market with a very positive outlook. You go to work and learn something every day - very low ego co workers and management

ConsHighly crowded space with new entrants every day - nothing the company can do about

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to do what you are doing

Marketing driven company, so the product is entirely branded

I worked at Accellion full-time for less than a year

ProsI loved having the opportunity to learn new skills. The company paid for me to learn on the job. I loved what I was doing.

ConsSince Marketing owns the product, everything is branded. It was difficult for designers to get any work done, since Marketing had the final sign-off on product design.

Emerging Market Leader - Mobile

I have been working at Accellion full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLots of opportunity for growth - well positioned versus competitors in a very hot market at the intersection of mobile, cloud, security. Later stage startup with great customer base and great new product!

ConsExpect a lot of employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementFloor the accelerator. Stay nimble.

Jobseeker beware: plenty of shill reviews left recently. Take a look at ALL the reviews to get the complete picture.

12 Years A Slave (Current Employee)

I have been working at Accellion full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIf you love mediocrity, you will fit in perfect here. You are welcome to start at 9:30, and by 3:30pm the place is a ghost town (but yet you aren't allowed to work from home). You can also enjoy such fringe benefits that people are accustomed to in the valley such as (directly from website):

Bayside trails
    Chocolate!
    Peet's Coffee
    Fun Friday lunches
    15 days of PTO your first year
    Chair massages
    A bucket of balls for the driving range

You might think this is the tip of the iceberg, but unfortunately, these are the highlights. At least you get unlimited Bayside trails.

ConsExecutive team changes direction every year, trying to ride the coat tails of main players in the space. Exodus of all the best talent, every quarter just like clockwork. The company started in late 90's, but it still calls itself a hot start-up? It's more like a cougar in a sea of hot chicks. The location is East of 101, basically East Palo Alto, but still PA by technicality. The main marketing message is based on scare tactics while spreading rumors about competitors. Notice how the main players never even comment on Accellion?

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the company so it could be run by competent executives.

Software Engineer

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Accellion full-time for more than a year

ProsNot very sure if there is a good reason to work here. The company claims its going to go IPO in a year or may be two. But losing out heavily to competitors. Don't see that happening anytime soon.

ConsVery chaotic management style. The management is busy fighting fires all the time. Makes for very long hours and busy weekends because of situations that could be easily avoided. The infighting among top management is to be seen to be believed. Extremely top heavy organization, where more people are managing and less doing real work.

The team worked through the winter break to churn out a crappy release because of unrealistic time pressures, lack of a design, a weird approach to development with teams stepping over each other because of a total lack of coordination.

Reward structure is strange to say the least. Very stingy with bonuses - and when given, have strings attached - have to stay with the company a year or bonus must be refunded! For all the work that was done overtime, the annual salary increases were less than 3% on average. People, you can be better compensated elsewhere.

Would not advise anyone to join the engineering team. Unless you are a glutton for thankless work. The management is highly opportunistic and will use you when there is a crisis that needs you, and throw you under the bus the moment things slow down.

The employee churn rate is to be seen to be believed. The average employee walks out within a year, and its unlikely that you will last more than that before quitting in frustration.

Advice to Senior Managementquit! You are not fit to run this company. If you want this company to succeed and cash out on your options, the best thing for you to do is leave! Whoever comes in to replace you is more likely to create value than you people.

Poor Leadership, No Vision or Strategy to Lead Company

Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at Accellion full-time for more than 3 years

ProsHot space with unlimited potential with cloud and mobile consumption across the enterprise and consumer marketplace.

ConsHorrible senior executive leadership in sales, marketing and product strategy. Board should hire seasoned silicon valley start-up veterans that know how to take company and product to next level. Disconnect between all departments, no transparency and complete lack of communication.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave the company and give the reins to a leadership team that knows how to run a world class start-up company that embraces their employees!!!

Unprofessional mid level management.

I worked at Accellion full-time for less than a year

ProsSeems like a friendly place. Good work-life balance.

ConsTerrible mid level managers who are extremely unprofessional and do not include their employees in any discussions. They play favorites. They do not keep lines of communication open. They expect a lot from new hires without even taking the time out to train them properly. It is difficult to understand their expectations from the employees as they do not say what they want- they just expect the employees to read their minds and work accordingly. No support is given to train new hires. They do not place any belief in their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open in communication. Management needs to be more transparent and should include the employees in decision making.

Poor Management and Compensation

I worked at Accellion full-time for less than a year

ProsDecent product, free lunch on Fridays. Work-life balance is good if you are not in the engineering department.

ConsManagement is terrible and do not listen to employee complaints - instead they terminate anyone that stands up to them. The culture is not great either since departments hate each other and gossip spreads like the plague. Also, employees for the most part are not qualified for the jobs they are doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to improve the culture - everyone is so beaten down that they are not motivated to work hard.

A black hole career move

Senior Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Accellion full-time for less than a year

ProsThere are two pro's: an exciting industry and some good peers.

ConsThe company is falling every further behind in product development and execution. This is due to one of the weakest, least strategic, least accountable, back stabbing, dysfunctional executive teams in the Valley. The board has little to no influence. Management spends no time with customers, has little understanding of the business, has made strategic moves that actually weaken the company's competitive position, and works to protect having someplace to go every day (vs. producing results and competing).

Advice to Senior ManagementEither resign or sell.

Management does need to take a closer look at what's going on in the company

I have been working at Accellion full-time for more than a year

Prosproduct is great and we have a great reputation with analysts; many employees are excellent at their jobs

Consemployees are not always appreciated; management seems to overlook contributions from many employees; marketing spending needs to be better monitored; department seems to spend money on frivolous items with no thought to impact they will have on company's reputation

Advice to Senior Managementspend more time talking to employees - let us know that you want and value our input. Make sure compensation is allocated fairly to employees.

Worked for Accellion? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Accellion reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Accellion CEO Yorgen H. Edholm. All 18 reviews posted anonymously by Accellion employees.