Accelrys

Updated Apr 4, 2014

Accelrys President, CEO, and Director Scipio M. (Max) Carnecchia

Scipio M. (Max) Carnecchia

Good place to work

I have been working at Accelrys full-time

ProsExcellent work environment. Close knit community of scientists within the company and very helpful.

ConsBetter compensation is required. The pay-raise is in not commensurate with the increasing job responsibilities and experience.

Great if you love science and nice people, but not great if your a Tech Happy person.

I have been working at Accelrys

ProsLots of great customers with a global footprint
Stable and a money maker
Not a cut throat environment
Growing both organically and through M/A.

ConsToo much of a focus on Science and not enough in other areas.
Slow to take up new technologies internally and within products.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe better listeners and follow up on feedback. Provide more career guidance and opportunities to those looking to move up in their career versus waiting for them to leave.

Stress and ever-changing direction by management-not a good place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Accelrys

ProsCompany has great product and will be a leader in its industry soon. Employees are team-spirited and fun to work with. Management was flexible if employees needed personal time off. HR provided good moral events.

ConsHigh turnover, especially in management. Company keeps changing its direction which makes it difficult for employees to adjust to all the changes and diffficult for new officers to transition into the company's culture and objectives.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open with employees. Don't just pitch how well the company is doing on the financial side and then layoff employees.

Shown direction for the future

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Accelrys

ProsChallenging problems that invigorate the worker, Flexible work hours, understanding of work life balance, global experience

Conslean and mean sometimes means little respect to value added by resources

Advice to Senior Managementunderstand the needs of your customer base and they will come to you

Academic atmosphere with stressful work environment

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Accelrys

ProsIt is nice to work in such academic environment, lots scients are working there.

ConsThe company has been downsizing for the last few years, it is very stressfull to work there.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocusing on constructive solution, rather than micro management to drive people crazy all the time.

Interesting place for short term work. Don't expect long-term stability.

Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Accelrys

ProsGreat colleagues, and collegial environment. Interesting product portfolio. Location is good.

ConsThere is a large disconnect between executive management & real issues in workforce.
The Workplace is under-resourced for the set objectives in all departments. The company has experienced annual redundancies (7 years running) & struggles for profitability. The lack of financial stability leads to limited growth & development opportunities. Annual Salary adjustments do not keep up with inflation. Human resources management is quite poor.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop more open & receptive communication with workforce. Work on focused strategy & reasonable objectives for work force.

Politically Charged - Disfunctional Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Accelrys full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat place for PhD scientists in chemistry and materials science - a good launchpad for for college grads with PhD.

ConsCompany is wrought with politics. The Scietigic (acquisition) folks create a caustic environment and fight against the rest of Accelrys. HR is one of the worst in the industry - very political. The company is hardly growing. Most of the products are not doing well and it is very difficult to grow within the firm. Most people learn at Accelrys and then get better and more senior roles elsewhere

Hiring and firing is very subjective - you could be the best at what you do but if HR does not like you, they can get rid of you.

I resigned from the firm as I found better opportunities. others were not that lucky.

Advice to Senior Management1. Integrate the company so ti behaves as one. The scietigic employees are destroying Accelrys - even though they brought Pipeline pilot product to you.

2. Know how to identify good talent ans retain it

3. Reconsider who is running your HR.

4. Focus on Business Growth and not on internal politics

ACCL - not for me!

Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at Accelrys

ProsACCL is the world's largest life science software company (or at least they make that claim) and if what you're looking for then this might be the right place for you.

ConsWorking for a publicly held company isn't all it's cracked up to be. Accelrys' strategy is to grow through M&A (they are sitting on a ton of cash) and management doesn't seem to make any efforts to integrate new acquisitions with the existing product line in a way that makes sense. Legacy companies/divisions are extremely territorial and protective of their turf and often unwilling to help out others. Even at HQ in San Diego, there are turf battles between biz opps, marketing, sales, services and support.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid to hire managers who can make tough decisions. Paralysis analysis is crippling ACCL and it won't get better as long as your managers feels like everything is being second guessed up the chain. Managers and employees need clear goals (and incentives that support those goals) and a careful balance between Responsibilities, Accountability and the Authority to make things happen. Good luck!

My experience at Accelrys was terrible

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsHappy Hours
Cafeteria
Clean Bathrooms
(Notice I can not think of anything positive work related to say about the company?)

ConsManagement is very risk averse and accordingly tends to micromanage its employees which is kind of a downer if you're not used to it.
If management values its employees, I haven't seen it.
Communication from the top is abyssmal.
Finally, if you're looking to work with the best and brightest, you won't find that here.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet people do their job. Have confidence in your employees' abilities and give them the support and recognition they deserve. Finally, talk to your employees.

Accelrys Employee

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
San Diego, CA

I worked at Accelrys full-time for more than a year

ProsLocation
Products
People-Intelligent scientists and software engineers

ConsSome products are highly complex.
They are in dire need of top marketing/sales folks to position their products.
Some of the folks in the management team are completely clueless, and the management keeps changing. The executive recruiting folks hiring the management team are perhaps inexperienced themselves!!

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on a company that can acquire Accelrys.

Worked for Accelrys? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Accelrys reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Accelrys CEO Scipio M. (Max) Carnecchia. All 32 reviews posted anonymously by Accelrys employees.