Accenture Reviews

3.6
Accenture CEO Pierre Nanterme
Pierre Nanterme
4,245 Ratings

1. Breadth of company means that no two projects are the same. Reasonable work life balance although this varies

I have been working at Accenture

Pros

- Quick progression / meritocracy
    - Good comp
    - Other benefits satisfactory
    - Interesting mix of clients and work
    - Useful training

Cons

- Vendor agnostic means that we do not have preferences where technology is concerned
    - High rates of attrition mean that SMEs and other 'good people' are easily lost to competitors
    - Company can feel somewhat bloated with 330K+ employees worldwide

- Consider more Joint Ventures with technology partners (such as Microsoft = Avanade) to boost our offerings
    - Cultivate offerings to remain competitive in the market.
    - Compensation matters! [Consistently] overlooking pay increases shows people to the door...

A company to be proud of working for, due to its high performing and highly ethical culture. Only for high performers.

Current Employee - Technology Consulting Senior Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Technology Consulting Senior Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Accenture full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Availabiltiy for flexible working and moving according to your interests and personal needs - great projects, a lot of very good training. Very good people to work with - senior leaders that will sit and work by your side till midnight if necessary - and analysts that are so bright you think they could do your job better than you. Always an open door to discuss a new idea or project. Strong emphasis on ethical behaviours, diversity and people.

Cons

Very demanding on personal life - exposure to clients that many times are not exactly bright, educated or respectful. Cultural fit determines everything, the yearly performance management process is exhausting but keeps us on our toes!

Review the cultural fit of new hires more carefully, invest more in developing talent and recruiting the right people - then allow units to be more entrepreneurial, take more risks and become more light and innovative.

It's all about networking

Current Employee - Management Consulting Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Management Consulting Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Accenture

Pros

Interesting projects – if you can get onto them

Fairly open culture. Some support available for training and further qualifications.

Wide field of experience – provided you don't let yourself get pigeon-holed.

Quite fair promotion policy: you get evaluated each year against all of your contempories and your entry cohort

Cons

Most of the work is quite boring and repetitive systems/IT consulting.

Long hours, sometimes unpredictably long, sometimes including weekends

Progress depends on choosing the right mentor[s], and then getting on with them. And then looking for the next good mentor . . . .

Pay should go up fast, once you make Consultant grade; but rises have been cut back in the "present downturn". [What "present downturn"? you may ask].

Be more open about what Accenture really is: a large, very professional, systems/IT/operations consulting firm. But NOT - except for rare occasions - a strategy consultancy. It doesn't compete with the Bains/BCGs/McKinseys etc.

5. well supported for work I didn't want to continue

Current Employee - Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Analyst in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Accenture full-time (more than a year)

Pros

good pay, motivated company, occasionally stimulating work, chance to get promoted quickly

Cons

long hours and often pretty boring work

keep going actually, strategically I think accenture is very well managed for the stock holders

6. 50/50 split between the good and bad points about working as a software engineer for Accenture.

Former Employee - Software Engineering Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Analyst in London, England (UK)

I worked at Accenture full-time (more than a year)

Pros

No blame culture - Nobody points a finger at you. I was never "told off" during my time at the company. If something goes wrong, everybody just pitches in and helps out till it's fixed.
    Social - Lots of nice people, always something to take part in, great if you're single.
    Build your own reputation - On your first day, if you dive right in head first you will get recognised and rewarded but you will be expected to keep up that level of hard-work. If you prefer a bit more balance, you can have that, and the expectations will drop, but the rewards won't be as forthcoming either.
    Networks - Support networks are great and something I highly compliment but a little confusing. Between your buddy, HR Rep, career councillor, line manager, etc, it's hard to know who to speak to sometimes.

Cons

Terrible rewards - The pay for a software engineer is about £2-3k less than what I consider a "good" salary. The overtime system is awful, you get "half-pay" for any hours of overtime. Not time-and-a-half, but half-time. And the first 37.5 hours of that get added on to your holiday which most consider a negative.
    Promotions - The promotions system is awful, pretty much coming down to how much your manager likes you at a single point during the year.
    Flexible working - Never happens. If you have children, you can work flexibly, otherwise, you do whatever hours you're told to do.
    Working hours - 10 hour days were common. Longest day I think I did was about 15 hours. Usually you get the next day off after a long stint like that but having software engineers working all hours of the day... there gets a point where your productivity just drops to nothing but the management never seemed to notice; so long as you're there.
    Offshoring - I'd estimate that around 60-80% of the code developed offshore was of such poor quality that it needed to be overhauled/redone onshore before being deployed.
    Work, work, work.... - A final note. I consider myself to be a hard working individual, but Accenture takes it to a whole new level. You pretty much have to dedicate yourself to the company/project and, if you don't, there will always be somebody who will, and they'll get a promotion, and you won't, despite the fact your quality of work is twice as good.

1. End the disparity between software developers and consultants by paying software devs more, or expecting them to work less.
    2. If you can't do 1. then properly allow for flexible working.
    3. Stop offshoring everything. Only offshore things that are worthwhile.
    4. Do away with the current buddy system and have a project buddy system i.e. when somebody rolls onto a project, they're assigned a buddy.

7. It was amazing working with great minds. Accenture gives you the opportunity to flourish in your respective careers.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Accenture full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are so many things to learn from your peers and seniors in the organization. Scope of growth is very high.

Cons

Salary is the only thing which gives you little low in the company. HR is not very helping in the company.

Please involve lower level employees more into the major decisions of the company so that they can also relate and make relationship with the organization.

8. Great place to start off

Current Employee - Business Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Accenture full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Learn a huge amount, meet some great people, chance to move around if you make the most out of it, great training, the company name will put you in good stead for when you move on.

Cons

You have to play the game, the hours can be long, you can travel lots, promotion process is quite brutal but as long as you are aware of it and play the game from the start thats great. If you go in for three years, learn as much as you can and then move on you can 100% guaranteed you will be snapped up by another company.

I worked with some great managers with some tight deadlines. I learnt a great deal from them. Only advice is to not forget there is a life outside of Accenture.

9. Management Consultant working on large business transformation programmes.

Former Employee - Management Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Management Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Accenture full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of great experience and varied projects across multiple industries. Also the opportunity to work with in a professional environment, with established methodologies and frameworks.

Cons

Extremely long working hours as with any management consultancy firms. Be prepared to work all day every day. The branding is 'high performance. delivered." This means client is king (as it should be) but you will work 24/7 in order to achieve this.

Review work/life balance practices.

10. OK, but far from Great

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Accenture full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Accenture has a good reputation, some of it perhaps a little unwarranted, but looks good on a CV.

- 15% discount on company shares which are ever increasing (at the time of writing) in value (although you are taxed on the market value difference, as HMRC see this as a perk)

Cons

We talk a lot about different client experiences at Accenture (which I think is why a lot of people hire us) however we have very few SME's because promotion and progression power is all within the specific client account's. Those that do well often seem to have joined Accenture and then only ever worked on one (or maybe two at most) client's. This means that often general consultants are passed off as being SME's or as being experts in their industry/that technology, just to keep the individuals on the account because it will ruin their promotion chances / bonus etc. In the same way, leadership for most who work at Accenture is from the accounts and not whichever group they are attached to. I sometimes wonder why client's don't ask the individuals to explain where THEY have done whatever it is they are been hired for before, as in most cases I think we would fail to answer this without embellishing the truth.

Recruitment here generally seems to be flawed, you often come across individuals who you wonder how they got through the door, but most managers and team's tolerate this as Accenture's forced bell curve performance model forces X % of any team to be under performing so these people are used to protect the rest of the team.

IT here is terrible, most of us have 3-4 year old laptops, which are replaced on a four year cycle. Worst still is IT keep forcing updates like Office 2013 onto us which makes the machines even slower and more recently an agent which tracks everything we do (supposedly to help reduce data loss). If you do have a problem, no-one rings the offshore IT helpdesk as it's understaffed (technically and physically) so most people just use Google or let the problem remain.

Generally, if you 'brown-nose' and play the game, which most people figure out pretty quickly, then it's easy to do well here, just don't expect any support from anyone, including HR and in most cases the Senior Managers and Executives, as they are often too busy playing the game themselves!

Project primacy has to stop, as does the forced bell curve. Get rid of under-performers or simply don't hire them in the first place, if an individual struggles to write a paragraph without correct basic grammar/spelling then they probably aren't going to be acceptable to any client on any project, so why hire them.

Don't let your children work here - life is too short.

Former Employee - Senior Executive in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Executive in London, England (UK)

I worked at Accenture full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Well recognised global brand
    A 260,000 person company, so inevitably some decent-very decent people
    The world does need seem to need them, so the business results are good

Cons

Some incredibly weak leadership. Over-promoted individuals who have learnt to operate within the Accenture system, but that would never qualify to be leaders of men and women in a normal commercial business.

Beware of the Core values, these are BS. It's as though they have taken there biggest weaknesses and turned them into their mantra.

Live a little