Accenture

9,193 Reviews

Accenture CEO Pierre Nanterme
Pierre Nanterme
3,724 Ratings

Pros
  • 55k range but the work/life balance is not worth the price in my opinion (in 588 reviews)

• Good work culture generally but depends on the project u are working for (in 524 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance despite being a tag line of many internal inititatives is a joke (in 1147 reviews)

• Managers repeatedly ask you to stretch---I told you no WORK-LIFE balance:-( (in 184 reviews)

More Highlights

352 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Middle management the worst I have ever seen in industry

Former Employee - Experienced Hire in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Experienced Hire in London, England (UK)

I worked at Accenture part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Accenture Brand opens many doors and provides tremendous kudos.

Cons

Like many SI's this is a very cut throat world for experienced hires. The graduates or are offered many promotion routes as long as they tow the line and say "yes sir" to the right leadership (that is literally all you should do to get promoted). Any experienced hire who shows innovation and excels is held back and literally used and spat back out. Retention rate of experienced hires is extremely low for this reason. Management is very poor as graduates are promoted into these roles after a few years and lack and industry experience in management and any common sense - something they should teach the graduates is that being very bossy is not how to manage. Experienced hires (and here I mean most in middle management who haven't really been able to excel in the wide world prior to Accenture), who adopt the "yes sir, I will do as you say I should so" approach survive. All of these middle management are consumed with apprehension of experienced hires who show that success can be achieved outside of current business models and that moving with innovation brings even more success and therefore become awful to work for. It is also a very "old boy's club" environment in Accenture and it is a great shame as the company itself could actually be a lovely place to work as most people would be proud to be part of the firm if they were shown the same level of support that a born and bred or brainwashed Accenturian is.

Don't hold back your experienced hires just because they are good. Don't be rude to staff behind close doors because you are challenged by their strengths and success and because they show innovation. Remember the graduates are brainwashed into being polite and don't feel they can fight back...we know different and will fight back and if that doesn't work we walk away because we know we can. It is as simple as that. Just because you happen to have practised business one way and achieved what may have been seen as good success for a number of years doesn't mean it has to remain the only way you should approach business. If a new approach shows better success - adopt a new style. When innovation brings success - welcome it and learn from it and MOVE WITH IT.

Being a manager and being a dictator are two different things entirely. The later is the one which gives the firm as bad name.

Short but good training

Former Employee - Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Analyst in London, England (UK)

I worked at Accenture full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good training opportunities - first 5 weeks as a graduate were solid training

Cons

Areas of work not very interesting (for me).

Stagnant row, project and promotion depends on luck

Current Employee - Analyst in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Accenture full-time (less than an year)

Pros

benefits are good, especially for people on maternity leave

Cons

difficult to get hands on an interesting projects, a lot depends on your relationship with the manager, rather than your performance. many people will claim that your work was their work, etc. generally not a very nice environment.
    HR is fairly incapable and the promises of strategy related work is thin air, as 90% of work is Technology based, which is where you end up if you don't fight or are unlucky.
    changing performance management year to save on employee benefits worth of 3 months

invest in talent, not private relationships. the smartest people leave after 2 years max

Love my job!

Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Accenture full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great client list, very helpful and encouraging career counsellor, great opportunities to continue to develop and shine as an expert in my field... Fantastic. I can work from home whenever I want. The travel opportunities have been terrific as well. Maternity leave? 9 months full pay including car allowance... really supportive of the work/life balance. Excellent learning opportunities. Truly global collaborative environment.

Cons

HR is completely incompetent and clueless. Not enough women in senior leadership positions. Laddering (forced performance ranking) is a brutal process, but you get used to it. No one is going to help you find your next role; you have to be proactive to go get it.

A turbulent career full of highs and lows

Current Employee - Analyst in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Accenture full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Accenture has an amazing client list and they hold good reputations with them. There is flexibility to move between clients/industries if you know how to work the system. Your career is very much in your hands and it is up to you to shape it - no one will be holding your hand.

Cons

Performance management is not handled particularly well but this is understandable given the size of the company. More often than not, the firm feels like a mass production machine.

Become more visible on projects and not just at events.

Great first start to your career

Current Employee - Management Consulting Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Management Consulting Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Accenture full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Intelligent, like minded individuals, good pay compared to the market for similar roles

Cons

the 'system' that comes with a large company; recognition is inconsistent and based largely on staying on one project for a long period of time; being a true 'consultant' and developing multiple client experiences isn't always encouraged

Recognise those that add value in multiple projects rather than just those that stay in one place; it is much harder to deliver well somewhere new, whereas if you've known the client inside out for 2+ years, of course you're going to know what they want!

A lot of opportunities if you're self motivated and a fighter

Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Accenture full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company itself had been very good to me. They do look after their people and accommodate them if there is an opportunity to do so and if they like you. The benefits are fairly good, and salary is good too. Leadership can be subjective as there are many different areas in the business that operate pretty silo'ed but overall the support, thought leadership and direction is there. The concept of having a career counsellor is very good as it gives an opportunity for the employees to have a confidential and objective conversation with someone who's not involved in you'd say to day work in order to seek support and advice.

Cons

Many complain about work life balance and although I have tried hard not to fall victim of this, the sheer pressure of having to not only achieve but over achieve in order to get ahead is enough to stress you out. You are up against some very bright talented people who are not scared to run over you for a higher place on the ladder or next promotion. Much of my work has been directly for the client which does beg the question of why not just work for them or go independent.

You really need to be strong minded and driven in order to survive in this environment and so it is definitely not for everyone.

Offer more support and feedback to your employees, it's sometimes better to be approached proactively rather than wait to be asked.

A great learning experience

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Accenture full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A fantastic firm to start your career
    Provides excellent exposure to a range of industries

Cons

Poor performance management / promotion process
    Once aligned to an area its very difficult to move

You are losing

Hugely varied career over 20 years across 3 countries

Former Employee - Partner in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Partner in London, England (UK)

I worked at Accenture full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fantastic place to start your career and learn many different skills
    Great colleagues and team members to help you deliver interesting projects
    One global firm made international work possible and fun

Cons

Demanding culture of long hours (not always productive)
    Very complicated matrix structure which made decision making slow

Simplify the organisation and bring back the entrepreneurial spark that grew the company

Great foundation for future career, certainly learnt a lot to take me forward

Former Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Accenture full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Varied work, working with high caliber like minded people

Cons

Fewer consulting opportunities tending towards large SI engagements

Consider alternative career paths at key landing points