Accenture Reviews

12,339 Employee Reviews

1. Great place to work, just ain't for everyone

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

Pros

Work with competent, talented, hard working people. Opportunities to volunteer for local organizations, even travel to third world countries to help and still get paid. Loads of career opportunities. Great for someone fresh out of college who doesn't know which direction to take their career in. Get to stay at amazing hotels, eat at fine restaurants, drive nice rental cars. Pay is good. Opportunities to explore any industry. Get to work with people from all over the world. It is a huge company and you get to plan your own career. No one will do it for you. If you're hardworking, motivated, and don't mind traveling all the time, this is the right place for you.

Cons

Cut-throat competition, traveling gets old after a while. Easy to gain weight when traveling. Some managers are too high-strung. Working with some of our clients who are incompetent and indecisive is frustrating, specially when the Accenture executives are too worried about insulting them. Company is huge and it's easy to get lost in the process- must find your own mentors and network to help you through the career process (a career counselor is assigned to every employee- they just might not be as involved in your career as you'd like. Like in all companies, there's a waste of money- you just have to learn that spending $2,000 for presentation materials is considered okay.

Advice to Management

More mentoring time for young starters. It's a huge company and it's easy to get lost in the process.

2. Happy with Accenture so far.

Current Employee - Level D in Camden, NJ
    Current Employee - Level D in Camden, NJ

Pros

Accenture has a very diverse array of projects to choose from. If your current project is not to your liking, it's very easy to look for and apply for other positions withing the company. I feel that Accenture is trying to expand into new and interesting areas, since my company was acquired by Accenture in order to break into our area. During the transition, we have been informed and updated about new procedures and policies, which is not usual for most large companies. I feel that I will be able to grow in my current job, and I already have a definite path for advancement.

Cons

I prefer working for a small company, but so far, this large company is OK.

Advice to Management

Don't make the performance appraisal process so complicated.

3. Overall, good place to work to start your career, not so great when you get to the higher levels.

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

People are fantastic, Opportunities are abundant, Flexibility

Cons

Working with off shore centers can be a drag on your work day. Early morning call and/or late evening calls.

Advice to Management

Need to make the Sr. Exec. level a carrot again.

5. Challenging & Fun if You're Single (& Like to Travel)

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

challenging, enjoyable work with smart people. The Strategy practice had some of the best career opportunities available. Extensive mentoring opportunities and detailed work expectations/performance reviews were just some of the benefits in career coaching. Talent was recognized and rewared appropriately. Extensive training opportunities and knowledge management resources. Dedicated research assistance was instrumental in producing presentations on the fly.

Cons

constant travel on the consulting side; pressure to sell follow-on work. Accenture lifestyle not really geared to married couples with children. The need to be on-site for clients meant many, many nights away from home. Monday through Thursday would be at client work place; Fridays would be in Accenture home office- hoteling concept took some getting used to. best for young, single workers.

Advice to Management

pay people well and keep them engaged

6. Terrific opportunities and people but the high intensity nature of the work can put strain on work-life balance.

Current Employee - Systems Integration Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Systems Integration Consultant in Dallas, TX

Pros

The people are great at Accenture. Every team I've been a part of has been composed of some of the most dynamic and committed people I've ever come across. I truly leave every project with at least a handful of good friends who I'll keep in contact with and who will help my professional network grow even stronger. I've also been very pleased with the career growth opportunities I've been given. I think that most projects will give you the opportunity to stretch yourself to really develop a new set of skills or a new level of confidence you that might not get elsewhere.

Cons

Accenture tends to push a very work-life balance focused agenda (both when recruiting and with existing employees). For the most part, I think it's a little difficult or impractical to take advantage of some of the Accenture-offered programs and approaches that would allow a consultant to achieve a better work-life balance (flexible work schedule, shared roles, etc). In my experience, I've never had a supervisor on the project suggest these as a possible option. Further, I have heard from trusted colleagues that the options have actually been dismissed or discredited when raised as a possibility in a meeting where they were trying to acheive a better balance.

Advice to Management

Check your personal relationships at the door when reviewing performance and promotability. In a company this size, there will obviously be people that "slip through the net" and get promoted when they're not deserving, but some of the personal and political relationships that play into these decisions does this company a disservice.

7. Fantastic work in making Accenture such a desired place to work!

Current Employee - Pipeline Generation Expert in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Pipeline Generation Expert in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great people with Great minds. The respect for the level of education in the talent I work with is not easily comparable with competitors. We have a high level of talent with ambition to do amazing things

Cons

I feel that they could recognize top talent performers a little bit better and create opportunities in a fast track for them in other workforces than just in consulting

Advice to Management

Keep up the fantastic Leadership!

8. Bill is charismatic, and uses his team of advisors well.

Current Employee - Recruiter in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Chicago, IL

Pros

The people. Many companies claim to care for their people, and claim to be supportive of work/life balanace. Accenture actually does. Employees are encouraged to use their (very generous) Paid Time Off, and other benefits.

Cons

If you want to be a "big fish in a small pond," Accenture is not the place for you. We are truly Global - so even the big fish, are minnows. Accenture does an amazing job managing a global corporate culture and identity - the cost to employees is that annual rewards may seem to be dilluted because the pool sharing the rewards is very big.

Advice to Management

I would remind our senior management that they make the decisions regarding the company goals that annual rewards are based on - not the workforce... and yet they continue to earn compensatory rewards while the general workforce is informed that we won't because of falling short of corporate goals. In some of our groups, this has happened for 3 or more consecutive years.

9. Not a bad place

Former Employee - Software Developer C in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Software Developer C in Birmingham, AL

Pros

Flexible Schedule Ton of PTO

Cons

On my project, the work started to dry up or was outsourced to India

Advice to Management

Value the people you have

Good place to start a career

Former Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The people. Most folks who stay at Accenture do so because of the people. Most are intelligent, motivated, and helpful. Working in teams is critical to doing well.

Cons

Different projects will lead to completely different experiences, good and bad. Find the right manager or senior manager, and work with them to get on projects that fit well. Otherwise it can be a long few months/years.

Advice to Management

Work on staffing with long-term fit in mind. Sometimes people are staffed to quickly and end up getting stuck on a far-away project, on something that is not interesting.

Excellent place to start a career, but tough to sustain the lifestyle over the long term.

Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Great place to learn and start a career. Given a lot of responsibility at a very young age that is hard to find in other companies.

Cons

Very tough lifestyle - on the road, working long hours.

Advice to Management

Do something to prevent burnout of your best and brightest who have been there 5+ years.

Showing 12,339 of 12,763 reviews