Accenture

Accenture Reviews

3.5

Accenture CEO Pierre Nanterme
Pierre Nanterme

Pros
  • 55k range but the work/life balance is not worth the price in my opinion (in 588 reviews)

• Good work culture generally but depends on the project u are working for (in 524 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance despite being a tag line of many internal inititatives is a joke (in 1147 reviews)

• Managers repeatedly ask you to stretch---I told you no WORK-LIFE balance:-( (in 184 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company, lots to offer the talented people, as long as you have the energy to keep charging ahead

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Accenture

Pros

1) Maximum flexibility in my job - I am able to work at home or at Accenture's offices around the bay area.
    2) Great people - i have found my colleagues to be very committed to helping us grow as a company.
    3) Great training opportunities - hundreds of online courses that we can take anytime, and many live courses that help us develop new skills.
    4) Once you have been there a few years and people get a sense of what you can do, opportunities abound.

Cons

1) We are a huge company - 180,000 - and you need strong communication capabilities to get noticed.
    2) You have to be a bit pushy to compete with all the Type A personalities in Accenture.

Continue to reach out to the local organizations, and make sure you dedicate some time to meet people in the far flung locations (like San Francisco and Los Angeles).

Great company to work

Current Employee - Management Consulting Manager in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Management Consulting Manager in Southfield, MI

I have been working at Accenture

Pros

Smart driven people; quick advancement; great benefits; lots and lots of training; ability to change type of work easily; travel opportunities.

Everyone gets 5 weeks of paid vacation from the start. Analysts get 5 weeks of training before they start at the client and there is continous training opportunities. Most of the folks in the company are very dedicated to solving client's problems.

Excellent career growth opportunities. Most projects will give you the opportunity to really stretch to develop new set of skills and confidence which is hard to get at most other places.

Management really cares for the people and wants them to suceed

Cons

Pay -- Doesnt pay as well until manager rank is reached

Keep doing what you are doing

High Performance

Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Accenture

Pros

Excellent career growth
    Technically strong people
    Amazing leadership

Cons

Too big a company so you have to strive really really hard to make your work noticeable to Sr. Mgmt
    Since it is such a big company you will notice people who are not competent being promoted to your peers or above.

Bill Green's strategic vision needs to be pushed down to every single people in the project or unit.
    Training is very important for the current work and employee's satisfaction so 2 weeks of mandatory training must be enforced.
    Class room or vendor based trainings must be provided for employees who are interested.

Fantastic work in making Accenture such a desired place to work!

Current Employee - Pipeline Generation Expert in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Pipeline Generation Expert in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Accenture

Pros

Great people with Great minds. The respect for the level of education in the talent I work with is not easily comparable with competitors. We have a high level of talent with ambition to do amazing things

Cons

I feel that they could recognize top talent performers a little bit better and create opportunities in a fast track for them in other workforces than just in consulting

Keep up the fantastic Leadership!

Bill is charismatic, and uses his team of advisors well.

Current Employee - Recruiter in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Accenture

Pros

The people. Many companies claim to care for their people, and claim to be supportive of work/life balanace. Accenture actually does. Employees are encouraged to use their (very generous) Paid Time Off, and other benefits.

Cons

If you want to be a "big fish in a small pond," Accenture is not the place for you. We are truly Global - so even the big fish, are minnows. Accenture does an amazing job managing a global corporate culture and identity - the cost to employees is that annual rewards may seem to be dilluted because the pool sharing the rewards is very big.

I would remind our senior management that they make the decisions regarding the company goals that annual rewards are based on - not the workforce... and yet they continue to earn compensatory rewards while the general workforce is informed that we won't because of falling short of corporate goals. In some of our groups, this has happened for 3 or more consecutive years.

NYC Consultant

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Accenture

Pros

Good Career Opportunities. Great recognition in the industry

Cons

Management is hit or miss. Some are great, some are disappointing

Desperately Seeking a Real HR Function in Accenture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Accenture

Pros

Wide exposure to a lot of different things with a lot of learning opportunities. Most of the time you will be have to learn on your own with little guidance. However, if you are sharp enough to, you can usually gut through it. In the end, if you can stick it out for a few years, you will walk away much more strong than when you got there, and hopefully be able to leverage the experience in another job. The pay is decent, however, there is definitely a cost to pay for it in terms of lifestyle. In the end, there are some great people here, but they are far and few between.

Cons

The HR function is absolutely the most horrific I have ever seen, and the work life balance during consulting is non existent. They are attempting to offshore a lot of work now, so limited opportunities to none for the onshore management staff. There are some long timers here, but they all feel a culture of entitlement. Most of them could not do half the work that they are criticizing you for. Finally, the benefit package is horrible for healthcare. They are in a coinsurance ploy. Take the lumps and learn all that you can, and then get out.

Listen to your people without filters. Dont just say you will listen, but hear it too.

Accenture Review

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Accenture

Pros

Good interim stepping stone to another firm firm

Cons

Cut-throat competitive working environment; incompetent managers

Improve management transparencies

A huge organization - a place to get lost in.

Former Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Accenture

Pros

Accenture is a prestigious place to work, and adds much to your CV, especially if you are just starting out with your career. You are given a lot of autonomy as a senior manager, no one looks over your shoulders. They also have a great team of IT support for a consultant, you are never left to struggle with your IT needs.

Cons

It is a competitive dog-eat-dog world. I started brand new as a senior manager, and received zero guidance and support, from peers or partners. Accenture's org structure is such that you do not actually have a manager. You have a mentor, who you do not report to, but is supposed to reach out to you and help you. Mine didn't, he was missing in action the whole time. I never heard from him except maybe once in 6 months. You cannot rely on fellow senior managers, as they are competing to become partner before you do. It is not a nice environment to work in, as a new hire.

If you bother to bring in someone senior to the company, be sure you set them up for success, and not let them shrivel up on the vine.

Terrific opportunities and people but the high intensity nature of the work can put strain on work-life balance.

Current Employee - Systems Integration Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Systems Integration Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Accenture

Pros

The people are great at Accenture. Every team I've been a part of has been composed of some of the most dynamic and committed people I've ever come across. I truly leave every project with at least a handful of good friends who I'll keep in contact with and who will help my professional network grow even stronger.

I've also been very pleased with the career growth opportunities I've been given. I think that most projects will give you the opportunity to stretch yourself to really develop a new set of skills or a new level of confidence you that might not get elsewhere.

Cons

Accenture tends to push a very work-life balance focused agenda (both when recruiting and with existing employees). For the most part, I think it's a little difficult or impractical to take advantage of some of the Accenture-offered programs and approaches that would allow a consultant to achieve a better work-life balance (flexible work schedule, shared roles, etc). In my experience, I've never had a supervisor on the project suggest these as a possible option. Further, I have heard from trusted colleagues that the options have actually been dismissed or discredited when raised as a possibility in a meeting where they were trying to acheive a better balance.

Check your personal relationships at the door when reviewing performance and promotability. In a company this size, there will obviously be people that "slip through the net" and get promoted when they're not deserving, but some of the personal and political relationships that play into these decisions does this company a disservice.