Accenture

9,843 Reviews

Accenture CEO Pierre Nanterme
Pierre Nanterme
3,977 Ratings

Pros
  • 55k range but the work/life balance is not worth the price in my opinion (in 609 reviews)

• Good work culture generally but depends on the project u are working for (in 543 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance despite being a tag line of many internal inititatives is a joke (in 1194 reviews)

• Managers repeatedly ask you to stretch---I told you no WORK-LIFE balance:-( (in 192 reviews)

More Highlights

199 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

First Job

Former Employee - Change Management in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Change Management in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Accenture full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great career starter, great training, really smart talented people

Cons

The traveling can get old fast

Define more career opportunities that do not require as much travel

Good Firm to work with

Current Employee - Team Lead in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Team Lead in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Accenture full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Employee friendly , good benefits like 401 k match,exposure to work with big clients and flexibility to change your domain

Cons

It is a huge company so sometimes you may get lost in the crowd and you will have to really try hard to show that you are worth the raise or hike.

Performance review process if very poorly managed

Nice colleagues; odd culture;

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Accenture full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Everyone is very nice and most people are pretty outgoing. Colleagues at every level are highly responsive. Everyone is focused on delivering excellence to clients. Funding for team building, training, social outings, BizDev, etc seems incredibly abundant. >5 weeks of vacation time. Dollar for dollar (up to 6%) matching on 401(k).

Cons

The people are generally average or above average. There are very few really stellar people who stick around. Managing Directors get to that level because they can sell, not because they're good leaders or good at developing talent. There is a significant bias that favors those who have spent their entire careers at Accenture. They often say working 1 year at Accenture is like working 3 years anywhere else...this is really not true and is indicative of the overly high opinions these "leaders" have of themselves. Not as many "leaders" have advanced degrees as you'd hope/expect.

You really need to train "executives" (Managers, Sr. Managers, and Managing Directors) to actually be leaders and understand and embrace what that term means. It's not just about selling.

great overall but can be mundane after a few years

Former Employee - Consulting Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Consulting Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Accenture full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-good initial salary
    -good work life balance

Cons

-laddering system can be unfair
    -projects vary
    -type of work may not be so valuable. you usually end up doing project management

8 years at Accenture

Current Employee - Software Engineering Team Lead in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Team Lead in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Accenture full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You get the opportunity to choose your career path; offers great fringe benefits; you can choose your work location amongst over 150 countries.

Cons

Salary is not at par with competition; if you dont have a sponsor, you will not move up the ladder regardless of the good work that you do.

Performance review process is not transparent and seriously flawed.

Varied experiences are typical

Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Accenture full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In this pro and con I will tell you the story of my experience on two projects, which will hopefully give you some insight into the fire and ice nature of project based work. Each of the two projects I have been on almost perfectly encapsulate the highs and lows of the company. Because of the Glassdoor format I will begin with the positives:

The second half of my tenure at the company was on a very positive project and I enjoyed my time with the sole exception of consistently 80+ hour weeks.

* I had the opportunity to work on a high profile project doing mission critical work
    * Receptive and polite clients, respectful culture among the Accenture resources
    *Pressure to succeed, but understanding when goals could not be accomplished due to extenuating circumstances
    * Highly motivational management
    *Good travel arrangements (swanky hotels)
    *Smart and impressive peers
    *Chances to move between different types of roles, and pursue technical or business-analyst work
    *Supportive mentors (other than just those assigned through the career counselor model)
    *Operational freedom to attempt novel solutions
    *Project level desire to invest in resources career growth

Due to all of these positives, I was highly motivated and received a Significantly Above rating also reflecting some crucial technical contributions I was able to make.

Cons

And the cons become clear with my first project:
    My first year and a half at the company was an absolute nightmare. I was onboarded to the company in San Francisco, which of course sounds pleasant and would lead one to believe it was a great offer. I ended up being strong armed into a role in San Jose, which for those of you unfamiliar with the Bay Area is 60 miles away (all bumper to bumper traffic). Despite the insane logistics or getting to the client location which was a commute of 1.5 - 2 hours each way, people from SF were regularly staffed on long term roles there. I was one. The commute nearly destroyed me. I would have to ensure I was on the road by 6:15am and due to the long work hours would regularly get home around 9pm, 5 days a week. This made a social life all but impossible and between the commuting, weekend work etc. I couldn't believe how much I was paying to live in my apartment and enjoy it at most a few hours a week.
    Despite my stated desire to seek roles elsewhere in the company, I was told I was not allowed to leave the project and so my 4 hour daily commute lasted 1.5 years.

This project was on a body hunt, and did not care about peoples' interest or capabilities . They forced me into a PMO role when I had a computer science background. I ended up spending over a year taking meeting minutes and making slides about manager attendance rates, which clearly amounted to secretarial work far beneath consulting. I consider this year to be a complete loss for my career growth. Work in this category is usually referred to as Staff Augmentation or Staff Aug.

The politics and people could be downright venomous at times. The silver lining of this, is it taught me to have substantially thicker skin, but until I was used to it, I had a hard time dealing with the verbal drubbings (the intensity of which would break many of my weaker peers). Also CONSTANT House of Cards level political maneuvering.

There was profound inconsistency in resources. I have worked with some talented people, but the company (and particularly this project) is chuck full of either mediocre or down right stupid people. When combined with my experiences above, I found myself driving 2 hours to the client site to be politically outmaneuvered by a dunce for a chance to get off a role in secretarial work (and that just may be the career defining test of my sanity).

The review process for me nearly always yielded "Consistent With" results, meaning that I was considered in the bottom 50% of the performance distribution. When I read my reviews I got writeups that clearly included political dog whistles and subtle ques that I was not one of the favorites. These were especially frustrating because they struck a positive tone but managed to wedge some sort of insult between the lines. Politics....

To summarize+ other general cons:
    *Can be placed on a role having nothing whatsoever to do with your interests or abilities. When you join a consulting company you are rolling the dice with what you will actually be doing.

*Poor logistical & travel arrangements can quickly sap the life from you. What is considered a "local" role can be fatal to your chances of success

*Below market compensation will leave you bitter, often it is 15 - 20% below fair compensation compared with industry. Especially in light of the additional load and hours put on consultants this is a motivation killer.

*The ratings & evaluation process is hyper political and extremely subjective. The best indicator of success is people who learn to align themselves to a powerful career counselor (internal career mentor) as soon as possible.

*Career growth at the company is slowing due to new policies, new levels, and general over saturation of resources. This means reduced compensation growth, and a reversal from the consulting model where one would expect to accelerate his or her career.

*Inconsistent resource quality. The low end of the bell curve is not commensurate with the brand

I recognize the nature of a project based company and what that entails, but the enterprise is fragmented into many small project subcultures which can be cesspools or paradises. Do more to measure and reward project level management on indicators of the latter.

*Don't move away from the fast career growth model of consulting or you will risk losing some of your best resources

*Refactor the rules around what is a "local" project. Or at least conduct a sanity check once in a while.

*Work to make the performance process more meritocratic and less subjective/political

*Try to true up the employment contracts between workforces and cohorts. Some are paid overtime while others are not, etc. It can create an envious and toxic atmosphere if unaddressed.

*Create disincentives for Managing Directors to sell "Staff Aug" work, it hurts the brand and increases employee turnover

Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't

Current Employee - Management Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Management Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Accenture full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of different projects in short spurts (3-6 months, generally). PTO policy is solid and collecting miles and points is always nice. Will encounter lots of smart people throughout your career. Will learn to adapt to different clients and environments quickly. Great place to launch your career.

Cons

Compensation, promotions, and project selection are generally out of your hands. If you get lucky with a proactive senior manager and rank well on your project, you may get a good rating, you may get a raise, and you may get promoted. There are no guarantees. If you're interested in a certain type of project, you may not get placed on the project. It's based on who's available at the time. There is a large exodus of individuals every year around the same time (aka ratings time).

Recognize talent when it's there & raise project team morale

What a Joke

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Accenture full-time (more than a year)

Pros

25 days of vacation. The people in my location volunteer often. This is definitely employee driven even though the company will try to steal the shine.

Cons

Pathetic pay. Because the company did not reach its fiscal goals, employees received an insulting 2% bonus but no raises. This is absolutely unacceptable. I truly hope the attrition rate swells as a result. Especially living in the San Francisco Bay area, I'm sure many coworkers will find other work. The meritocracy is a joke. Managers and senior managers alike will tell you the way to get raises/promotions is by becoming the lap dog of a higher up and following his/her project/career path.
    Work/life balance is a figment of your imagination. I do not even travel but the commute makes it just as bad. My job can be done from home but I have to be on the client site. I believe my supervisor and Accenture leadership could convince the client but just does not want to.

Why bother?

Accenture has great people - they just don't know how to treat them or match them with the right roles

Current Employee - Management Consulting Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Management Consulting Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Accenture full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Like any consulting firm, you can switch to different projects and across different clients, so you are potentially learning something new every 6 months-1 year
    - Most people work from home on Fridays, and Accenture has probably one of the best work-life balance lifestyles compared to other top tier firms
    - Great people and expertise. The firm has over 250K people and continues to grow (and lose) people every day. You can find experts in any field for sure. The problem is...knowing where to find them.
    - 20-day PTO policy (includes sick days) is pretty darn generous.

Cons

- A bunch of Management Consulting analysts are unhappy with how the firm has treated them due to re-organization and re-alignments. They were promised strategy work and are doing staff augmentation, vendor roles, while brand new hires are held for exclusive strategy roles. Constant re-orgs like this without considering the full impact to people at all levels are inconsiderate and lead to very poor career development.
    - Projects will want to keep you for as long as possible, so it can be extremely hard to get out of an industry or a client
    - Bad training. They have level specific training that can be helpful, but it has nothing to do with the actual work you're doing onsite with clients.
    - Like any consulting firm, you will have internal extracurriculars to do on top of your client work for higher performance ratings and such. It can get exhausting and pretty not worth it as you try to run the hamster wheel of trying to get promoted like everyone else.
    - Unless you are extremely good at networking and/or are happy with doing manual project management type roles, don't join this firm. There are some really great opportunities, I won't discount that - but they are hard to find and even harder to obtain because there is so much organization bureaucracy in your way.

Please realize the impact that your decisions have on people across the firm. Treat your people better - actually care about them and their professional development. And also do a better job of matching the talent you hire with relevant roles.

Great colleagues, unrealistic work/life balance if you don't get good at setting boundaries

I have been working at Accenture full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great development, benefits and colleagues. Lots of exposure to various industries, type of project, size of team, amount of responsibility. Can move in to areas of interest. Great support from a designated career counselor throughout all levels of senority.

Cons

Time expectations including project work, administrative tasks, career planning, and volunteer work is over the top and leaves little time for personal life. Too much information is piled on at one time leading to a sort of information indigestion or brain paralysis. No time to process all of the information that is available.

Encourage setting aside time for admin, development and volunteering during the work week so that weekends are free for personal life.