Accenture Reviews

Pierre Nanterme

1. Data Center Infrastructure Consultant

Current Employee - Data Center Infrastructure Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Data Center Infrastructure Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Accenture full-time

Pros

Best and brightest people I've ever worked with. The company provides many opportunities for personal and professional growth along with going out of their way to ensure everyone has a solid work/life balance. Everyone is assigned a Career Councilor to assist with all things ACN.

Cons

Over 300k employees means that you feel like just a number at times. Also, due to the type of work you have no consistent supervisor (project dependent) so getting consistent feedback can be challenging at times.

Worked with alot of tech clients to support their operations

Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Accenture full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- High visibility to senior management, execs
     - Opportunity to switch to new projects, try new things
     - Training (paid)
     - Cool people
     - Job security

Cons

- Discontinuous experience
     - Idle time between projects
     - Staffing choices not always great
     -Bureaucratic

Advice to Management

Make analysts feel more connected and less like an army of "workers" at certain large client accounts

3. Software Engineer Associate

Current Employee - Software Engineer Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Accenture

Pros

Getting payed to apply for projects,and training.

Cons

No actual experience in Software Engineeing outside of projects, No sense of purpose or job security, outside of projects.

Advice to Management

Get the new people into projects quicker. Give them work related to their field, outside of projects.

Hectic & Confusing

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Accenture

Pros

Accenture has a great network and learning resources for people changing industries and looking to gain more experience.

Cons

Very little structured support for new hires and very disorganized, with poor company orientation. They also pay talent under market value and set false expectations during the hiring process...

Advice to Management

More structure and organization for orientation, processes, and resources being provided; this will allow for things like better work/life balance. Also, pay talent what they're worth and align them to work that suits their talents and passions...

6. Just good enough to not actively look for something else

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Accenture full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working on multiple projects per year, you get to see many different companies and experience their culture.
    Training opportunities are abundant, if you can work them into the work and travel schedules of your projects.

Cons

Default expectation is to travel to where the next client is or wants you to be, which may be welcome when you are young, but can negatively effect family life.
    The annual forced laddering process is not as fair as it is advertised to be. Employees with personal relationships with influential executives fare better year after year and move up in ran and salary faster.

Advice to Management

Annual laddering process needs improvement; local staffing efforts could be augmented

Horrible work-life balance

Current Employee - Strategy Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Strategy Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Accenture full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people
    Collaborative
    Competitive base / great benefits

Cons

Horrible work-life balance
    SMs and MDs tend to over-sell and the workload gets pushed down to consultant/analysts
    Low pay increase, low bonus

Accenture is a large company with good opportunity for career growth and flexibility, but is often times slow-moving.

Current Employee - Technology Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Technology Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Accenture full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work with and gain insights into the business of many different clients.
    Develop breadth in your skill set.

Cons

Large company -- can be easy to get lost.
    Slow moving -- if you are pushing for a change in your career, it will take time

Employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Accenture

Pros

Some projects are great and some folks are smart. Accenture hires very smart individuals in the analyst class (however most don't have good social skills because Accenture tend to hire engineers).

Also, Accenture has a fair share of cheap labor from getting people over from India and working them to death by threatening to cancel their H1B visa.

Cons

The folks who stay around in Accenture (the folks who have been here for more than 4 years) are usually idiots who cannot find opportunities elsewhere. In addition, they tend to play politics more than they create value. That is to say, most of these folks, if they don't rise up to become a managing director, are worthless.

The projects can vary widely. The last project I am on is with analytics and the people at the client site are amazing - some of the best people I came across. The folks I came across in my first project - a government healthcare project in California - are filled with some of the worst people. They blamed each other for mistakes and tried to achieve results at the expense of people. I was asked to stay up for nights on end in order to help the system. Even when I couldn't help, the manager asked me to stay on to "learn". For 3 months I hadn't slept more than 3 hours per night and nearly went nuts. There are people who literally DIED on the project and I am not sure if it's due to stress of the work and the politics but I would imagine so.

The folks who get promoted are all political bunch who get promoted at the expense of others. The very first team I was on, the manager who micromanaged the crap out of his resources got promoted working them 7 days a week and at least 12 hours a day. The manager himself was promoted to senior manager and none of the resources he had were promoted. In addition, he kept such a stronghold on them that none of them were able to leave the project even though they knew that the project is a dead end and no skills can be learned.

I moved to the next role where I literally have to stay up 12 hours a day and click a button each time. The supervisor asked me to work on the weekends but he himself works about 4 hours a day. At the end I tried frantically to get out of the role and he ended up slashing my review as a form of retaliation. During the review process I asked him why he gave me such a review and he straight up told me I have mental problems and called me stupid. Speaking about professionalism and constructive criticism.

After the review came to a close, my career counselor called me and told me of the rating and told me that I was at the risk of layoff. His threats totally made me feel as if I am worthless (you should never base your value on your performance, especially at a crap company like Accenture). The career counselor did nothing to assess the situation but rather just said I was bad which is not constructive at all. It does nothing for self growth. It was only later on that I found out that they had difficult filling the role and the supervisor knows this. As an act of retaliation he slapped a bad review.

I saw another folk who was pulling day and night for a manager and wanted very much to move out. The manager kept making empty promises that he can move out and get on better roles only to extend his roll-off date longer and longer in order to keep him. At Accenture, the project manager has the most power and can put a tight leash on his resources to prevent them from moving around. Some people languish in a roll which they hate for years. It robs them of all humanity and dignity as a person.

Some folks have been doing the same thing forever even as if they are called consultants and as a result they are never able to leave Accenture because of how little skills they have. Accenture also routinely lay people off in order to meet the numbers to please shareholders. There is a great disconnect between the top management and the pawns on the ground and it works more like a slave-master relationship. As a result, no one means anything to the company, not even the managing directors. Accenture just went through a wave of layoff of some of the most tenured people with the company. There is absolutely no loyalty Accenture has for its employees. The current CEO was brought in in order to cut expenses so it justifies his position and moves.

I am writing this as I no longer to fear the retaliation from Accenture as I got another job lined up and it's almost a liberation feeling like being freed from prison to leave Accenture.

If you want to have a good career, don't come to Accenture. Go to other small firms to pick up skills and take on ownership. Accenture is for people who cannot create value but rather just there to collect pay checks and play politics to get promoted.

Having said that, I have came across some very bright folks and it does somewhat have good healthcare benefits but the compensation and rewards is no where near enough for me to endure the pay and suffering in my earlier years here.

Advice to Management

Have a reverse review process of managers of how their subordinates feel about them.

The performance review system needs a massive overhaul. 100% of the time, reviews are subjective due to the immediate supervisor. It sometimes reflects nothing on the employee.

Only for the people.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Accenture

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Bad performance reviews based on a client.
    Very low compensation.

Advice to Management

Instead of hiring college grads try to keep existing people for better/quality work.

11. Loved Working for Accenture

Former Employee - Consulting Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Consulting Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Accenture full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people always willing to help. Team spirit. Lots of fun outside of work, from having breakfast with a friend on the team to project outings. The training I received was excellent. I learned so much in such a short time, I understand why Accenture doesn't seem interested in its employees earning advanced degrees. You learn more on the job. I loved my years at Accenture and wouldn't trade them for anything.

Cons

I hated the tools such as the performance management tool. Too complicated and time consuming. A necessary evil though. I also found it difficult to get my arms around the culture and processes as an experienced hire. Everyone else always seemed to know what they were doing and I felt lost, especially at the beginning. I do know people who managed to achieve very satisfactory work/life balance but I think it is a big challenge. The workload can be grueling and some project managers could use a chill pill.

Advice to Management

Continue to work on integrating experienced hires and their utilization. This will always be hard because Accenture is an army of young recruits.