Accenture

9,905 Reviews

Accenture CEO Pierre Nanterme
Pierre Nanterme
4,003 Ratings

Pros
  • 55k range but the work/life balance is not worth the price in my opinion (in 609 reviews)

• Good work culture generally but depends on the project u are working for (in 543 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance despite being a tag line of many internal inititatives is a joke (in 1194 reviews)

• Managers repeatedly ask you to stretch---I told you no WORK-LIFE balance:-( (in 192 reviews)

More Highlights

208 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Consulting review

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Accenture full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities.Good PTO program.

Cons

Finding the right project is always tricky because the timing should be right to get the right role.

training as promised should be made available to employees

Learned lots, easy to burn out

Current Employee - Management Consulting Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Management Consulting Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Accenture full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Phenomenal people, opportunities to grow are plentiful

Cons

Executives mis-scoping work, little or no "work life balance"

The Project Makes All The Difference

Current Employee - Manager, Technology Architecture in Dublin, CA
    Current Employee - Manager, Technology Architecture in Dublin, CA

I have been working at Accenture full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Accenture Brand
    Good salary if you know how to negotiate
    Growing , stable company
    High ethical standards & culture

Cons

Projects are hit and miss. You need to chose a project that you are passionate about.
    Accenture re-organizes a lot. I'm not sure how the re-orgs affect people.
    Long hours are usual. Accenture does not pay OT but expects lengthy hours. Make sure to negotiate a good pay package.
    Accenture is trying to compete with the Indian IT services firms. Many positions are going overseas to India and Phillipines. Client-facing and pre-sales roles will increasingly be done by offshore (or lower paid onshore folks).

Good place to work

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Accenture full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of learnig opportunities. Decent Pay and well process oriented.

Cons

Nothing much to write here as it highly depends on team/location you are working.

none

I really enjoyed working here. Great people, good perks, interesting work.

Current Employee - IT Strategy Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - IT Strategy Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Accenture full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1. People - maybe I got lucky, but I have been surrounded by nice, intelligent, hard working people. From several years of working here I only me 1 person I did not like.
    2. Dynamic work - if you work in strategy, you bounce around clients and get to see many different environments and learn about different aspects of IT in a way you may not have considered before.
    3. Stay West - a pilot that keeps west coast people on the west coast. Of the several years here, I only spent 6 months flying to another city/state. That's right, almost all of my work has been on Bay Area clients.

Cons

1. It's a public company, so it feels the pressure from shareholders unlike many of our competitors. Unfortunately some things, like team building and investing in your people (with more than offsite training, which is still good) have gone by the way side.
    2. Because it is a public company, much of senior managers and junior "partners" are busy selling. Problem is, strategy projects are small, so you have strategy folks being forced to sell IO/AO work to make the numbers.
    3. Performance review process is, as always, skewed towards brown nosers and people who spend forever on a client (so, not strategy folks). If you're not a social butterfly and are in strategy, it may take some time until you get the bonus. Hard work is recognized, but not as much as it should be.

Your people are what makes your company. So, why not invest in them? Why not build a community around the office and encourage Sr. Managers and MDs to mentor and form closer relationships / mentorships with consultants? You won't be able to sustain the growth if you don't develop talent. Also, fix performance reviews. Skewed towards non-strategy folks who stay on clients forever.

Systems Integration Consultant

Current Employee - Systems Integration Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Integration Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Accenture full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Ability to work in a lot of different industries
    -Good work-life balance. People tend to be very relaxed on Fridays. I've felt an unspoken rule, where you don't message someone on Friday unless it's extremely urgent

Cons

-Bad career counseling and management. You are pretty much on your own with your career.
    -Inability to really select which projects you want. HR has a lot of power and tends to throw you onto something to maximize your chargeability, without really listening to your needs and wants.

-Less rhetoric

Technical Recruiter

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Accenture full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great work life balance! Lot's of great training and access to fantastic tools and resources. Absolutely fantastic management

Cons

Base comp might be a little lower than the market calls for right now. But company is top shelf!

keep doing what you are doing!

Great Learning Experience

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Accenture full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Solid company with great benefits and solid on the job training. Great for learning the many facets of consulting in a very short period of time.

Cons

Requires extensive travel and must have great networking skills to ensure your utilization remains high. Requires constant interviews with various partners to remain staffed.

Ensure all new consultants understand the importance of networking and high staffing ratios.

Great company to start your career in...and then move on...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Accenture full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You get great exposure to many very important companies. In addition their training on how to work with the client and be a consultant is top notch. Their training facility in St. Charles is very good for networking and seeing what coworkers from all over the world are up to.

They also have a very good alumni program

Cons

In 2008 Accenture moved to a variable compensation model (less raises but slightly higher bonuses) which pretty much meant that all employees got paid less (on average less than competitors at the lower levels), while shareholders received record dividends (all Senior Executives got very nice bonuses). Basically this signaled a switch from viewing employees as Assets into viewing employees as liabilities (thus not always adhering to the "Respect for the Individual" core principle). During this time many people HAD to stay on because of the economy, but once the economy turned the attrition rate spiked a bit.

I worked at Accenture for almost 8 years and during this time there were many "global initiatives". The best of which was a push to instill into all employees the Core Principles. My advice to leadership is to use the core principles (and adherence or non-adherence) as a tool to determine who should stay or who requires additional coaching before getting promoted. During my tenure there was a lot of intimidation, rude behavior, and plain preferential treatment based on close relationship (of the personal nature) which demonstrated a lack or core principals. Yet these people that "played the game" tended to get promoted. Listen to employees concerns and you will be more likely to keep people that will be willing to stay for the long run.

Another piece of advice is for management to compensate loyalty.

Great place to start your career!

Current Employee - Business & Systems Integration Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Accenture full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging/interesting client work, meeting a lot of good people, developing client-facing skills,

Cons

Limited personal growth and training for experienced hire, no clear direction how to grow professionally, work-life balance does not seem to exist,

Put more focus and efforts in developing people.