Accenture

Updated Jul 31, 2014

3.6 2,554 reviews

Accenture CEO Pierre Nanterme

Pierre Nanterme

Pros
  • 55k range but the work/life balance is not worth the price in my opinion (in 488 reviews)

• Good work culture generally but depends on the project u are working for (in 456 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance despite being a tag line of many internal inititatives is a joke (in 971 reviews)

• No work-life balance for consultants trying to make it up the ranks to Managing Directors (in 161 reviews)

More Highlights
2,554 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Accenture is a good place for self starters to work

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsAccenture is a dynamic, open place to gain experience and challenge yourself. I was hired and promoted several times in a short time frame. The work is challenging and schedules are flexible. I have worked at a combination of client sites, Accenture offices and home. Our project keeps people engaged and informed.

ConsYour career is in your hands more than most other places, which is good, but for those not used to such a system, there is a learning curve which can be detrimental. There are systems in place to assist you with your career track but the overall approach can be a challenge.

Advice to Senior ManagementA little more open communication to those you are seeking to bring on to a role and those who are working on your teams would go a long way.

More than just Consulting roles

Global Human Resources Programs & Operations (Current Employee) Anaheim, CA

ProsYou hear a lot about the burn out that occurs for people in consulting roles, but there are also many other opportunities, especially in the Corporate Functions space. Work from home and set own hours.

ConsWhile the flexibility is nice, tend to work around the clock supporting all parts of the world. People in the corporate functions space are work-aholics.

Great People, Pay Could be Better

Senior Analyst (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsI love the people of Accenture. I've made some solid friends here and I generally don't mind working late hours beside people I actually like. Office culture is project-dependent, but if you work at Headquarters, dress is relatively formal. The organization is huge, but feels relatively horizontal. Everyone is on a first name basis. Work-life balance has been good in my experience. The amount of time one has available to pursue leisure activities will ebb and flow depending on the needs of his/her project and role.

ConsThe laddering/performance rating process is a crap shoot. If you start at the wrong time of year, you're screwed. If you have a career counselor who doesn't advocate for you, you're screwed. If your boss just doesn't like you, you're screwed. Compensation is lacking relative to other firms and year on year raises are low. However, promotions mean a significant bump in pay. Training used to be good, but they've cut back significantly.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It is what it is

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFact Pace, lots of work, establishes you as a working consultant . Looks good on a CV. You always know who you are working for.

ConsAdvancement can be difficult, you are just a cog in a huge wheel. Organizational resistance to change

Very Good Experience, Worth Working For

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsVery good place to start or enhance your career in. Lots of areas of expertise (IT, business process, strategy, etc.). Lots of networking opportunities with people from all over the world who work for or who will work for very big or up-and-coming companies. Worked with many good colleagues and clients over the years here; many of the employees (top to bottom) do seem to care about those who work with and for them. Many of the executives I worked for had "been there, done that" before moving up, and the company tied (still ties?) executives' performance to successful execution as well as sales. There is opportunity to try out a little (or a lot) of everything, not just stay in your silo, so you can get a well-rounded education in IT, business process, management and/or strategy which will help considerably in many future career paths. Lots of guidance, mentorship programs and training opportunities. Benefits are pretty good and extensive for those in the mainline consulting practice (25+ PTO days, retention of all points and statuses racked up during travel, extensive insurance plans, some support for life-changing events like adoptions, standard 401(k) match, ESPP). Because of the size of Accenture's clients, you often gain experiences (such as large complex globe-spanning projects, difficult and complex IT systems implementation or leading-edge strategy work) which is difficult to gain elsewhere. Accenture does seem to make an active effort to have a diverse executive team. It also seems to highly value professional and business ethics (although this is definitely a capitalist company). Company also seems to "give back" to each of the communities it has a presence in.

ConsLots of travel (can be pro or con depending on what you like). Work-life balance is definitely skewed towards work. Up-or-out model, which is good if you want to get promoted but not great if you want to spend more time at a particular level (unless you're senior management). Promotion process is somewhat fudgy. Pay is a little less than competitors for mainline consulting, and considerably less for those who wish to focus on technology. Lots of "people skills" required; this can be learned but there is no avoiding it. No clear upward path for those who wish to follow something other than the standard consulting "path" (i.e. implementation to management to sales / "account management"), so those who wish to specialize in execution of certain things may be forced to leave to obtain standard industry compensation for those skills. Work with some incompetent colleagues and clients over the years here. The work is sometimes "boring" (e.g.. not always cutting-edge) or painful (e.g. "rightsizing" projects). Lots of bureaucracy, and expect the occasional reorganization / change in strategy if you stay more than a few years. NOTE: Many of these "cons" are a part of being a consultant, so expect it from other consulting jobs as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be a clearer upwards and/or retention path as well as competitive compensation for those who wish to specialize in a set of skills rather than become managers (i.e. technologists, business analysts or specialist consultants). People need to be given a chance to experience "life" rather than "work" - a fair number of people of both genders seem to leave to do basic things like get married or have kids. Company may also have to relax its fairly bureaucratic model of organization and execution and adopt a more flexible model to deal with upstart competitors, especially given the demand by newer companies for more flexibility and quicker speed to market.

Good Starter company to learn consulting world

Business Senior Analyst (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsIf you want to learn the politics of consulting with a great company, Accenture is a great place to come. Access to Senior Management is easy and great advice is always given.

ConsTravel can become hectic so you can really lose a work-life balance. There are times I would not be home for weeks. But i was able to do it because I was single and didn't have children.

great support for upward mobility and learning opportunities with global firm

Strategy Consultant (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Prosglobal firm, great pay and benefits, world class clients and project

Consvery large co. and still a large focus on IT services which dilutes the strategy consulting brand

SAP Fico Consultant

SAP FICO Consultant (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGood opportunities. Main focus on the delivery and timelines

Conslife balance and tough work. Main focus on the delivery and timelines

Amazing company to work for.

ProsKeeps up with latest market technology and contributes to building robust technology in most industries.

ConsSalaries need to be negotiated.

Advice to Senior ManagementDoing great

Great firm if you can stay with them!

Systems Developer Specialist (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsGreat LGBT policies including especially trans insurance coverage, though I don't get why BCBSIL said they wouldn't cover hair transplants, liposuction with fat transfer, and voice surgery if you dare risk that. Our policies say they cover according to WPATH standards which say any procedure may be medically indicated as decided by your doctor.

It was a big help that our international lead for transgender inclusion got me in touch with the BCBS employee who knows our policy. This BCBS employee got BCBS to cover electrolysis after an initial denial. And she is in the process of checking about coverage for voice therapy, which she shouldn't have to do because WPATH also says this is a possible treatment.

Some positions like mine earn 24 days of PTO/year as the year progresses from your start date.

ConsI never worked so many hours!

Severance pay is not a lump sum but your salary - unemployment as the weeks go by. So you don't get severance if you find another job fast.

Not many mainframe jobs, and I'm losing mine because my client has been looking to save money and I was last in so first out.

Surprisingly primitive search tools in their two main internal job boards and their external job board.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix job search engines so you can search with "and" and "or" conditions, locations, and have searches actually return what you search for!

Worked for Accenture? Contribute to the Community!