Accenture Reviews in Washington, DC

8,488 Reviews

Accenture CEO Pierre Nanterme
Pierre Nanterme
3,386 Ratings

Pros
  • 55k range but the work/life balance is not worth the price in my opinion (in 488 reviews)

• Good work culture generally but depends on the project u are working for (in 456 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance despite being a tag line of many internal inititatives is a joke (in 971 reviews)

• No work-life balance for consultants trying to make it up the ranks to Managing Directors (in 161 reviews)

More Highlights

283 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Overall good experience with this company.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Accenture full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people and usually a great atmosphere within the workplace. Plenty of room for growth and options for career paths, and changes to underlying career goals.

Cons

Work life balance can be a challenge.

Good experience, capable people, competitive environment

Former Employee - Senior Manager  in  Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Reston, VA

I worked at Accenture full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I liked most of the projects I worked on. I worked with many smart and motivated people. I thought I was paid fairly.

Cons

Sometimes staff gets caught in the middle of partners' conflicts. Travel and hours can be tough depending on the project you end up on.

Great way to gain exposure into Financial consulting and financial management.

Current Employee - Client Financial Management Specialist  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Client Financial Management Specialist in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Accenture full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Best of market training, support, and flexibility with work schedule. I would say this is the best company to work for when trying to settle down- though not the best when it comes to entry level or mid-level career growth.

Cons

Very very low pay for finance roles compared to competitors

Apply compensation arrangement that is in line with competition, or bonus structure/raises to at least cover Cost of Living adjustments

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people and experience, but there are severe challenges as a huge corporation

Current Employee - Senior Analyst  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Accenture full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are fantastic. Most of them will go out of their way to help you in whatever way they can. They tend to care about your professional development and advancement in the firm (and in your career).

The work can also be very interesting if you network with people that do the type of work that interests you.

Cons

There are several distinct challenges at Accenture.

First, it can be easy to either feel lost in the staffing process or trapped in a niche. This can be mitigated by aggressive networking.

Second, when you are unstaffed, HR will try to force you to join the projects that need warm bodies (aka the bad ones). It is in HR and the firm's interest to maximize your chargeability, but this may not align with your career interests or skill-set. Again, this challenge is best mitigated by aggressive networking.

Third, the review process can be challenging given the number of employees involved. Even high performers can be passed over for promotion if they or their reviewers lack the rank or political savvy necessary to lock in a high rating.

Consider lowering chargeability targets slightly or at least offering a week-long "grace period" after an engagement ends before HR starts pressuring employees to join another project. This will greatly improve morale, and it may even allow employees to find the projects where they will perform at their highest potential.

Hold more office-wide or at least functional/industry social events to allow employees more opportunities to network outside their specific teams.

Profit Valued Over Employee Well-being

Current Employee - Computer Programmer/Configure III  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Computer Programmer/Configure III in Washington, DC

I have been working at Accenture full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The pay and most benefits are competitive with other competing companies.

Cons

As mentioned the pay and most benefits are competitive with other competing companies, but it comes at a very high cost to the employee.
    - Loss of many many perks
    - No overtime pay
    - Vacations are often canceled and then PTO hours are lost at the end of the fiscal year as you can carry more then 240 hours.
    - The review system is very political and unfair which directly drive pay raises and promotions. There is much favoritism in the company.
    - Very few opportunities if you're not in the Consulting arm of the firm.
    - Easier for the company to burnout employees and replace them with younger hires.
    - Little training opportunities that provide value to the employee. Accenture prefers they use their in-house training and books rather than show capability by earning certifications.

Management in Accenture has turned a blind eye to employee well-being over profits. Long hours are always a must with time off often being canceled with no recompense. Raises and bonuses have taken the hardest hit over the year and the review system is very political in such a way you can do very well on one project but another may have other employees they wish to promote first, and will give newer members lower ratings.

Accenture FEDERAL Services

Former Employee - SAP Functional Analyst  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - SAP Functional Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at Accenture full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent PTO and flex-scheduling; especially for entry level positions. For the most part, the office was a pretty easy going atmosphere with a lot of great people.

Cons

As I discovered just shortly after my orientation, Accenture Federal Services is significantly different than Accenture LLP. AFS employees are paid less, do NOT receive any special consulting or industry specific training, and are not given the flexibility to work on any commercial based projects. I was very disappointed in how the firm preaches career development but in the AFS side, that is very difficult to obtain. After discussing with mentors and managers I discovered it was easier to leave the company for a commercial based role rather than switching over to Accenture LLP. Promotions are also very difficult to come by. The overall federal project work is very dull and typically takes months to even obtain access to the client systems. Employee retention on federal projects is low; especially for less experienced analysts.

Value career development and not just federal project roles, encourage employees to be internally certified AND to obtain industry specific certifications, value younger employees by promoting them in accordance to performance and NOT based on the length of time they are on a project.

Great place to work. Rewarding experience

Former Employee - Management Consulting Manager  in  Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Management Consulting Manager in Reston, VA

I worked at Accenture full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Accenture has the best people working for then. It is the people that make challenging deliverables and tasks manageable. Accenture believes that their best asset are the people and that really resonated with me and why I worked so hard for them.

Cons

I left because I decided to have a family and needed to work for an employer who understood working mothers.

Need to provide greater flexibility to working mothers with small children so the turnover rate of women with small children isn't so high. I enjoyed working for Accenture and miss it sometimes but because I have small children and cannot work late I had to leave the company for a family friendly employer.

Accenture

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Accenture full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great people; Fun work and interesting clients.

Cons

Senior Management does not live their core values.

Great Company, Good Benefits

Former Employee - Coordinator  in  Ashburn, VA
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Ashburn, VA

I worked at Accenture full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent benefits, great coworkers, awesome paid vacation length

Cons

Difficult to find another project if you're rolling off current one.

Great People, Pay Could be Better

Current Employee - Senior Analyst  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Accenture full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love the people of Accenture. I've made some solid friends here and I generally don't mind working late hours beside people I actually like. Office culture is project-dependent, but if you work at Headquarters, dress is relatively formal. The organization is huge, but feels relatively horizontal. Everyone is on a first name basis. Work-life balance has been good in my experience. The amount of time one has available to pursue leisure activities will ebb and flow depending on the needs of his/her project and role.

Cons

The laddering/performance rating process is a crap shoot. If you start at the wrong time of year, you're screwed. If you have a career counselor who doesn't advocate for you, you're screwed. If your boss just doesn't like you, you're screwed. Compensation is lacking relative to other firms and year on year raises are low. However, promotions mean a significant bump in pay. Training used to be good, but they've cut back significantly.

Worked for Accenture? Contribute to the Community!