Accenture

9,868 Reviews

Accenture CEO Pierre Nanterme
Pierre Nanterme
3,985 Ratings

Pros
  • 55k range but the work/life balance is not worth the price in my opinion (in 609 reviews)

• Good work culture generally but depends on the project u are working for (in 543 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance despite being a tag line of many internal inititatives is a joke (in 1194 reviews)

• Managers repeatedly ask you to stretch---I told you no WORK-LIFE balance:-( (in 192 reviews)

More Highlights

192 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Very unpleasant internship in Federal Services

Former Employee - Systems Integration Analyst Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Systems Integration Analyst Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Accenture as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Many fun events to foster community, multiple workshops to develop professional skills, well developed internship program, HR was great

Cons

I had an incredibly inept manager who explicitly lied on my review, zero access to higher management, micromanaged, did not appreciate the way I saw people sell each other out, and was underutilized and bored.

Develop a spirit of community and growth, rather than one of ruthlessness, with zero integrity.

Great People & Work, Slow to Promotions & Poor Pay

Current Employee - Management Consulting Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Accenture

Pros

Amazing motivated, smart talented people. A truly collaborative envrionment and very "flat". Value creation is at the heart of alll Accenture work so the work has a lot of integrity behind it and quality is always a priority. Very high priority is placed on Inclusion and Diversity and on CSR and community engagement.

Cons

Promotion cycles are very long and rigid. Most promotions are long overdue if people don't get frusterated and leave prematurely as a result. Pay is poor for non MBA hires into managment consulting. Many people leave as a result of non-competative pay in my experience.

promote peole as soon as they are ready and pay competatively for talent and performance

Joining as an experienced hire

Former Employee - Manager In Enterprise Partner Support in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Manager In Enterprise Partner Support in Washington, DC

I worked at Accenture full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They have a great benefits program, generous PTO time off (which includes sick days), good training programs. They will promote the experienced hire program, though there is not much of a structured program. Accenture is a great brand name and will enhance your resume. They are a very demanding company to work for. You will be expected to work overtime. They will talk about how work-life balance is really important and how you should use flex time to your advantage. Just don't do it during busy times and that is most of the year. It is a very stable company however I was laid off due to budget cuts and I had the least tenure in my group. They do provide the opportunity to move around if your position gets cut however it is limited time and the hiring process is slow. It took me 7 weeks to get hired, when you only have 30 days to close on a new opportunity, you have to move fast and hope they do too. It is admirable that they give you the opportunity.

Cons

Experienced hires are well respected and they bring in new blood and new ideas, they are so happy to have you on board. What I actually experienced is that Accenture has many "lifers" who have been there forever- right out of college, 10-20 year tenures. They are heavily invested, promoted through a laddering system by their peers, and to experienced hires, you are reporting to people, typically younger than you, with less overall years of experience in the business. All they know is the Accenture Way.

I had a few very successful years, I tried to get promoted, I would always be trumped by a lifer. It is also very difficult to get credit for your work. Typically it melts into your Sr. Managers and executives and you will not be spotlighted for your efforts. Folks at Accenture evaluate you by "the time you have been with Accenture". They do not recognize for one minute your past years of experience with other firms when it comes to recognition of your capabilities and promotion time. They also promote and assign bonuses through a system called Laddering where your peers chime in and vote on who deserves the promotion and bonus the most. If you are popular and have been around a while, you will of course get the most votes. A Sr. Manager I was interviewing with recently told me that the turn around for experienced hires is 80% in less than 5 years. They also made a comment that Accenture chews up and spits out experienced hires and why was I still here at 3 years? These blatant comments really concerned me and maybe getting laid off was not such a bad thing.

As mentioned earlier, work life balance is promoted, however in reality, it is difficult to practice and you are not winning any brownie points when it is busy. They expect you to work overtime when the work is there. They do have a really good benefits program however in 2015, they have cut back their healthcare program to one consistent program for everyone, but you can choose from 3 healthcare firms. They raised your contribution from 85/15 to 80/20. Costs did not go down. You pay extra for dental and eye care plans, they do cover the bigger percentage costs for these programs. They do offer group rates on optional life insurance and some specialty programs like pet insurance, AD&D, upgraded life insurance, critical illness, etc.

Great opportunities but at a grueling pace

Current Employee - Management Consulting Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Accenture full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with at the analyst and consultant level. Great experience in a lot of different roles. Great training opportunities. Great "brand" to have on your resume. Opportunity to get involved in any type of extra-curricular you want. Defined paths to promotion. Great benefits.

Cons

No work/life balance. Unrealistic expectations from leaders who have married the company and prefer not to have lives outside of work.

Spend time developing analysts and consultants - getting to know them as people - it will keep them more satisfied and inclined to stay long term. Staff projects appropriately, don't break the backs of 24-29 yr olds.

Good place to start

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Accenture full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Wonderful opportunities to learn different technologies.
    -Amazing people to work with.
    -Good type of challenges.
    -Okay benefits
    -Good amount of PTO but you don't always get to use it.
    -Depending on the project remote work is an option.

Cons

-Things aren't always very clear or communicated properly.
    -long work ours may happen and you don't always get recognition for it.
    -Often just seen as a resource and not a person.

Its a large company so its easy to make people feel like they are just resources and not human beings. Maybe consider having more of a human element as well as give better compensation for the long hours that are being worked.

Great place to build lasting relationships

Current Employee - SAP Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - SAP Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Accenture full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent e-learning, good place of build relationships and skills....

Cons

No work-life balance.
    Culture not good for experience hires, because getting placed on projects is based on your personal network within Accenture.
    Raises are very conservative

Accenture Leadership should do more for integrate experience hire into corporate culture

Great place to work

Current Employee - Management Consulting Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Management Consulting Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Accenture full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Truly a meritocracy... if you perform well, you'll be given more responsibility.
    Great benefits (particularly the PTO and training) and the pay is generally pretty good.
    Opportunity to transform and create value for clients.

Cons

Work-life balance can be difficult to navigate (particularly for the Consulting workforce where travel is often required 4 days/week)

Raises should be higher for high performers (experienced hires shouldn't be making significantly more than internal promotes).

A GREAT FIRST JOB OUT Of school

Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Accenture full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance overall. Was able to accrue a lot of PTO in a short amount of time. Really awesome career growth opportunities.

Cons

Compensation was only partially competitive. Uses laddering system for raises which is counterproductive for collaboration.

Good people

Current Employee - Systems Integration Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Systems Integration Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Accenture full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people are good, sometimes the work can be really boring though. They have been very flexible with time off for health concerns. Good work life balance and sometimes the account will have fun events.

Cons

They won't let you travel if you are an analyst, which is something I really wanted to do. Federal sucks you in and keeps you there.

Let people work from home more often

Great Place to Start a Career

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Accenture full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Smart, competitive people. Reasonable hours for competitive pay.

Cons

Very tech heavy- not great for anyone trying to pursue a career in MC.

Learn to Utilize talent of entry level employees more.