www.accenture.com

198 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Not a great place!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Accenture full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefit, free laptops and live-well assistances. Depending on what project you're on sometimes you get free food. There is always a social event or charity event to join. There are some excellent training programs to take advantage of.

Cons

I have worked in there Federal division for a while on the east coast and I find my experience with Accenture very bad, maybe because I have been on some pretty bad projects. Even though Accenture credit it's self for best work/life balance, it's a complete lie in my opinion. The manager don't directly verbally disagree if you need to take PTO but you'll hear them complain about, it's super annoying. Sometimes you have to firmly say you need PTO or you prefer weekends off otherwise they'll put so much work on your plate you won't ever have time to breath and sometimes upper management complains if there are no schedule weekend work. The performance system is awful they compare you against everyone who are at your career level for that contract division and then if you successful at "winning" for your level at that division then they compare you with everyone for the federal division who are at your level.....it feels like America next top model. There are managers that try to find the slights issue that they can find to put on your performance review, from entering wrong charge codes to not asking enough questions. I notice that there are a lot of arrogant Software Developers, often make you feel dumb and compare your intellect with other people just so they can feel better about them self, some are very rude, some will talk about you behind your back to other developers, some won't help you even when you ask them for help. I've met manager that just don't care about anyone but only care about what the client wants and rush in "last minute" requirements/design so that they can make the client happy even though it affects the development process, which can cause the developer to work very late forcing you to develop something really ugly while trying to reach the deadline, which can cause the entire application to break because of the lack of details of rush requirement, which causes manage to rethink about the requirement because it doesn't "fit" at all in the application, which cause great confusion, a lot of waste of time and money. I notice that there are a lot of vague requirements and designs and there were times that certain pages of an web application that was not tested by the test team. But then again, some of this is very common at other tech/consulting companies.

Implement a No coding after 11pm policy, too many developers have broken code because no developers wants to stay after 12 midnight to fix it. Tell Middle and Upper management to properly details their requirement and design, too much vagueness causes too much confusion. Stop comparing people with other people during performance review period, I know its to encourage competitiveness but sometimes the managers have a way of classifying people as inferior.

Accenture FEDERAL Services

Former Employee - SAP Functional Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - SAP Functional Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at Accenture full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent PTO and flex-scheduling; especially for entry level positions. For the most part, the office was a pretty easy going atmosphere with a lot of great people.

Cons

As I discovered just shortly after my orientation, Accenture Federal Services is significantly different than Accenture LLP. AFS employees are paid less, do NOT receive any special consulting or industry specific training, and are not given the flexibility to work on any commercial based projects. I was very disappointed in how the firm preaches career development but in the AFS side, that is very difficult to obtain. After discussing with mentors and managers I discovered it was easier to leave the company for a commercial based role rather than switching over to Accenture LLP. Promotions are also very difficult to come by. The overall federal project work is very dull and typically takes months to even obtain access to the client systems. Employee retention on federal projects is low; especially for less experienced analysts.

Value career development and not just federal project roles, encourage employees to be internally certified AND to obtain industry specific certifications, value younger employees by promoting them in accordance to performance and NOT based on the length of time they are on a project.

Avoid if looking for a career in management consulting; turbulent times for the firm.

Former Employee - Strategy Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Strategy Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Accenture full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Opportunity to travel
    - Standard consulting benefit of a lot of experience in a short amount of time. One year at Accenture is like 2 years in industry given the rapid pace of learning and breadth of client experiences you are exposed to.

Cons

There are a variety of reasons I would caution people away from Accenture right now. Probably most salient and objective is the fact that at the management ranks are being offered "packages" to leave. Additionally, the firm has been through multiple re-organizations in the past several years. This is a turbulent time to be at Accenture.

Another major con is the quality of work and emphasis on specialization, which in effect significantly limits your career progression. The reality is Accenture does not do a lot of strategy work and does not have that reputation. They are viewed more so as an operations shop: process redesign, training, change management. 80% of the time that work is tied to IT work (hence the need for process redesign, training, etc.). On top of that, Accenture is organized in a way that forces you to determine a specialization in subject matter. This would not be a bad thing if the firm truly offered and allowed you to sample a variety of work before finding your fit. That is not the case, so people end up getting pigeon-holed in specializing in whatever project they were on the longest, even if it was their first project at the firm. This is less likely at PWC or EY who are new to management consulting and have less red tape, and similar to Deloitte where the internal hurdles literally inhibit you from career exploration (but salary at Deloitte is higher).
    ht, or the analysis fair is an afterthought.

There are other points to ding Accenture on (e.g. performance management, being cheap, lack of work life balance) but I'm not sure those criticism are unique to Accenture. I will say I was also disappointed in the caliber and leadership styles of management. Accenture is developing significant culture issues because of the turbulence at the firm and in the industry.

Get your messaging and go to market strategy figured out. Being "digital" is not a strategy. Hire / steal big guns from prestigious firms in order to bring in the work advertised on campuses / in recruiting events as being performed.

In a dream world, separate the management consulting business entirely from the technology business.

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Accenture full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people; Fun work and interesting clients.

Cons

Senior Management does not live their core values.

Great People, Pay Could be Better

I have been working at Accenture full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I love the people of Accenture. I've made some solid friends here and I generally don't mind working late hours beside people I actually like. Office culture is project-dependent, but if you work at Headquarters, dress is relatively formal. The organization is huge, but feels relatively horizontal. Everyone is on a first name basis. Work-life balance has been good in my experience. The amount of time one has available to pursue leisure activities will ebb and flow depending on the needs of his/her project and role.

Cons

The laddering/performance rating process is a crap shoot. If you start at the wrong time of year, you're screwed. If you have a career counselor who doesn't advocate for you, you're screwed. If your boss just doesn't like you, you're screwed. Compensation is lacking relative to other firms and year on year raises are low. However, promotions mean a significant bump in pay. Training used to be good, but they've cut back significantly.

Encountered hostile work environment

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Accenture full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Largest consulting firm. Decent benefits. Brilliant at selling.

Cons

Under bid and under resourced contracts
    Does not provide superior training they claim they are known for.
    Poor work life balance
    Encountered hostile work situations, which were poorly handled if at all. Federal contracts seemed as under bid and under resourced as private ones. Thrown into system design and development without sufficient training in the core software platforms or business areas.
    Long hours and difficult deadlines.
    Senior managers got hostile
    Complaints to HR went unheeded.

Practice what you preach in your orientation about hostile work environments.

Offshoring America

Current Employee - Finance Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Finance Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Accenture full-time (more than a year)

Pros

A job if you can get it and keep it

Cons

Terrible leadership by the partners who have already achieved enormous wealth. They treat employees like hired hand resources that can be expended at any time and greedily look for every opportunity to push jobs to China, India, and Philippines - they are rewarded for doing it no only for Accenture but for their clients where they earn have of their company revenue by offshoring America. The focus is extremely short term and they have diluted their talent pool by doing this and it is hard to understand what their value pro is beyond a paycheck. They treat you bad, work you to death, there is little development and they'll spit you out as soon as they can find a way.

Stop destroying the American economy which has allowed you to succeed. Was the company not founded by Americans?

Excellent first job

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Accenture full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great training, great job out of college.

Cons

Federal side not to my liking.

Listen more seriously to people's preference about being client facing.

Good people, good process, disconnected leadership!

Former Employee - Management Consulting Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Management Consulting Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Accenture full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Plenty of opportunities to grow if you are willing to work hard; I got 2 promotions within a short time.

Cons

Leadership is disconnected with what's going on below senior manager. Retention issues.

Find the truth out yourself; not just what people say. Organizational health is very important.

Learned so many skills, but the political game can be tough to play.

I have been working at Accenture full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You learn very valuable, easily transferable skills. If you get on the right team, you'll never want to leave. Smart people.

Cons

The ratings process is the best they can do, but it can be very unfair. Comparing technical resources to management consultants isn't the right way to do it.