Access Company

Updated July 16, 2014
Updated July 16, 2014
3.1

Nobuya Murofushi

It was a great place to work that never met its potential

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Access Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, smart engineers, great benefits. Great pedigree from PalmSource and Be history, great potential in mobile software space. Many good efforts to standardize their software were attempted. Great patent portfolio.

Cons

Missed schedules, disappointed customers, frustrated employees. Market changes more quickly than ACCESS could respond to it. Move to Linux was good, but competition caught up. Royalty model was good, but then Google gave Android away for free.

Too late. Missed the market opportunity.

A brief boom and bust, they once had a great product but now obsolete.

I worked at Access Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Their NetFront browser was once a good product and got the attention and sales from large global accounts.

Cons

HR was friendly when hiring in, but very nasty and un-professional when they gave us the boot. A bunch of biotches who thought they were so smart - not!!!
    When other browsers became open-sourced and free, no one would buy NetFront anymore. Access tried to expand with their own Linux operating system for mobile called ALP, but lost when going head-to-head with Android, iOS and even QNX. They tried to hire a few new outside managers, but it didn't work. They didn't know anything about the products and seemed clueless. They fooled the HR people and exec management by wearing sports jackets with jeans like Steve Jobs, and using buzz words like "what's our value proposition?", then exec management went "ooh - ahhh" and hired them. They didn't know what the hell they were doing and took the company all the rest of the way to the bottom.

I'm not sure if there is anyone left to give advice to. I think everyone I worked with on the browser and ALP is gone.

market has been tough.

Former Employee - Vice President Sales and BD in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President Sales and BD in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Access Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Long legacy in industry. Strong mobile software development history. Famous for internet browser engines in various connected device markets.

Cons

Market focus shift has created challenges

Stay on ball

Frustrating. The management is disconnected and cost-obsessed. We create zero value.

Current Employee - Interaction Designer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Interaction Designer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Access Company

Pros

There are a lot of good people who try really hard at the individual contributor and mid-management levels. The pay is solid and the benefits are pretty good.

Cons

The most senior management (in Japan) are nothing but an obstacle. They have no business in Silicon Valley. They are unimaginative, cost-obsessed, and incredibly reactionary. They respond to major senior management failures by laying off low level workers and keeping the people who made the dumb decisions. I think if the shareholders knew how terribly the place is run, and how low morale is, they would be angry.

If you are going to be a product company (and successfully transition from a service company), you must do product development and focus on quality and innovation. Don't be timid. Don't insist on a level of ROI that no one else in the industry enjoys, especially before you develop any product at all.

The management has to love what they are creating, and right now, they don't. Management takes an adversarial role, as if they were investors. It is bizarre. If you can't understand the product, you can't lead its development. Find a new product or retire, but don't be an adversary to your own employees.

They are a reasonably good company to work for.

Former Employee - Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Access Company

Pros

The people are friendly and courteous.

Cons

Too much influence from the Japanese culture.

Get the best out of the east and west.

Need to improve managment's vision

Former Employee - Director of Sales in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Sales in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Access Company

Pros

Flexiable time, and causal working environement.

Cons

Over-sea office management can do a better job.

Listen to the customers needs and make a quick adoption.

The company had great opportunities after buying PalmSource. But it did not react properly to the industry changes.

Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Access Company

Pros

I can't think about things I like that I could not find elsewhere, or specific ones making ACCESS a special place to be. The HR department is pretty good in providing benefits to the employees.

Cons

The lack of vision and the willingness to take some risks in order to succeed. The Japanese management style have put ACCESS, as a global company, in a difficult position.

Definitely need a strategy and to take risks.

Access

Current Employee - Team Lead in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Access Company

Pros

At Access (mobile OS part) depending upon your team, you can get some good experience in low level LINUX based development. May also get a chance to work with some great techies in the field (though many have left). Team at IPInfusion is great in all aspects.

Cons

Inconsistent, vague and at times arbitrary/random approach from middle management. Top management in Japan is excellent though. Not much of personal or professional growth in most teams.

Higher management in Japan should force more transparency in middle management roles and decisions. And development teams should either be beefed up in strength/technical capabilities or they will become useless in comparison to China teams.

Good place to work, but questionable future

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Access Company

Pros

you get to work on exciting technology

Cons

not a lot of buyers

need more success in sales

ACCESS Systems - Software Engg.

Former Employee - Staff Software Engg in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Software Engg in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Access Company

Pros

People, Work atmosphere, Benefits were great

Cons

Small company, competitive market, lack of brand strength, competitors have a better solution

None