Access Company

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Nobuya Murofushi

It was a great place to work that never met its potential

Senior Marketing Manager (Former Employee)
    Sunnyvale, CA

ProsGreat people, smart engineers, great benefits. Great pedigree from PalmSource and Be history, great potential in mobile software space. Many good efforts to standardize their software were attempted. Great patent portfolio.

ConsMissed schedules, disappointed customers, frustrated employees. Market changes more quickly than ACCESS could respond to it. Move to Linux was good, but competition caught up. Royalty model was good, but then Google gave Android away for free.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo late. Missed the market opportunity.

market has been tough.

Vice President Sales and BD (Former Employee)
    Sunnyvale, CA

ProsLong legacy in industry. Strong mobile software development history. Famous for internet browser engines in various connected device markets.

ConsMarket focus shift has created challenges

Advice to Senior ManagementStay on ball

Frustrating. The management is disconnected and cost-obsessed. We create zero value.

Interaction Designer (Current Employee)
    Sunnyvale, CA

ProsThere are a lot of good people who try really hard at the individual contributor and mid-management levels. The pay is solid and the benefits are pretty good.

ConsThe most senior management (in Japan) are nothing but an obstacle. They have no business in Silicon Valley. They are unimaginative, cost-obsessed, and incredibly reactionary. They respond to major senior management failures by laying off low level workers and keeping the people who made the dumb decisions. I think if the shareholders knew how terribly the place is run, and how low morale is, they would be angry.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are going to be a product company (and successfully transition from a service company), you must do product development and focus on quality and innovation. Don't be timid. Don't insist on a level of ROI that no one else in the industry enjoys, especially before you develop any product at all.

The management has to love what they are creating, and right now, they don't. Management takes an adversarial role, as if they were investors. It is bizarre. If you can't understand the product, you can't lead its development. Find a new product or retire, but don't be an adversary to your own employees.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

They are a reasonably good company to work for.

Engineer (Former Employee)
    Sunnyvale, CA

ProsThe people are friendly and courteous.

ConsToo much influence from the Japanese culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the best out of the east and west.

Need to improve managment's vision

Director of Sales (Former Employee)
    Sunnyvale, CA

ProsFlexiable time, and causal working environement.

ConsOver-sea office management can do a better job.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the customers needs and make a quick adoption.

The company had great opportunities after buying PalmSource. But it did not react properly to the industry changes.

Product Marketing Manager (Former Employee)
    Sunnyvale, CA

ProsI can't think about things I like that I could not find elsewhere, or specific ones making ACCESS a special place to be. The HR department is pretty good in providing benefits to the employees.

ConsThe lack of vision and the willingness to take some risks in order to succeed. The Japanese management style have put ACCESS, as a global company, in a difficult position.

Advice to Senior ManagementDefinitely need a strategy and to take risks.

Access

Team Lead (Current Employee)
    Sunnyvale, CA

ProsAt Access (mobile OS part) depending upon your team, you can get some good experience in low level LINUX based development. May also get a chance to work with some great techies in the field (though many have left). Team at IPInfusion is great in all aspects.

ConsInconsistent, vague and at times arbitrary/random approach from middle management. Top management in Japan is excellent though. Not much of personal or professional growth in most teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher management in Japan should force more transparency in middle management roles and decisions. And development teams should either be beefed up in strength/technical capabilities or they will become useless in comparison to China teams.

Good place to work, but questionable future

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Sunnyvale, CA

Prosyou get to work on exciting technology

Consnot a lot of buyers

Advice to Senior Managementneed more success in sales

ACCESS Systems - Software Engg.

Staff Software Engg. (Former Employee)

ProsPeople, Work atmosphere, Benefits were great

ConsSmall company, competitive market, lack of brand strength, competitors have a better solution

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Great job day-to-day, but where's the company going?

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Sunnyvale, CA

ProsThe ACCESS folks in Sunnyvale are the best team I've ever worked with - they're smart, hard working, and friendly. The programming is really interesting, and U.S. management lets us do our jobs without getting in the way.

ACCESS has offices and customers all over the world. It's great if you like to travel or work with people from other countries. And the folks at the non-U.S. offices are mostly pretty cool.

They're open to telecommuting, the health plan and bonus plan and other benefits are good, there's lots of free food, and free lattes in the break room.

Turnover is pretty low, and the hiring process is very selective, so you work with top-notch people.

I feel lucky to work here. Headhunters call and I just laugh.

ConsThe code/build/test cycle is very, very slow - but that's the same with any embedded system programming.

The QA team needs some training: "doesn't work" is not a bug report.

Top management is Japanese and hates to lose face or deliver bad news. If you want to know how the company is really doing, ignore what they say in company meetings and read the investor reports from the web site.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to treat Americans like Americans, and we're not Japanese. Here are a few suggestions.

If the company lost money, admit it in the monthly company meeting. Usually, you just zip over that PowerPoint slide real fast and hope nobody notices - but when you do that, we do notice, and we remember 2007 when you laid off 40% of the company. So have some guts, tell the truth, and explain why we shouldn't start looking for another job. We'd respect you for it.

If you make American engineers work on too many dumb ideas that don't ship, they quit - especially in Silicon Valley, where top engineers can always find work. We've lost a lot of good people that way in the last few years. So when your customers have bad ideas, you need to learn to "just say no".

Many Americans don't just want a paycheck, we want to feel like the company we work for is going someplace. But it doesn't seem ACCESS has any goals, just knee-jerk reactions to customers. You need to tell us plainly where the ship is going, and show us that somebody is actually steering it that way.

Worked for Access Company? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Access Company reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Access Company CEO Nobuya Murofushi. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Access Company employees.