Accolade

accoladeinc.com

Accolade Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014
Accolade – Plymouth Meeting – “Accolade's building exterior”

Accolade – Plymouth Meeting – “Accolade's building exterior”

Accolade CEO Tom Spann

Tom Spann

Supportive environment, great teammates

Health Assistant (Current Employee) Plymouth Meeting, PA

ProsIn depth training right off the bat; most of the leadership is very approachable and if you are stuck with a supervisor who is not, teams shift frequently so it isn't a forever thing; good opportunities for bonuses; good benefits package; generous PTO.

ConsThe work itself can be challenging emotionally and requires critical thinking skills, empathy, and attention to detail. It is all done over the phone, and people expecting a call-center job or an easy job may having difficulty keeping up with the demands.

Discrimination with a capital "D" - they blatantly lie from Day 1

Clinical Health Assistant (Current Employee) Plymouth Meeting, PA

ProsDecent salary - but you'd think a company like Accolade would have better health plans to choose from...

ConsYou will never ever get promoted unless you are young, female and attractive. Some stewards can barely write their name but they are expected to lead a team of Health Assistants ? The executives are simply dishonest and plays favorites, and don't even try to hide it. They give new meaning to talking out of both sides of your mouth. You'll be told to give feedback - but God forbid if you mention something they don't want to hear. Employees who do not pull the company line will be systematically set up for failure. Oh and they will swear to you that Accolade is NOT a call center but it is and always will be a call center.

Instead of looking for reasons to support and promote you, Stewards look for reasons to keep you down. Again, the favoritism is blatant. I can tell you that my Steward once questioned me for being away from my station for 1 minute and 3 seconds. I have a health condition which causes me to urinate frequently - this is not made up - this is a true occurrence. They state from Day 1 "we are NOT a call center." Yet, when it comes to bonuses and raises, your "performance story" is based strictly on statistics. But no, it's not a call
    center.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo be brutally honest, you need to put someone in there who doesn't play favorites and who will say what she means and mean what she says. There has to be a better way to hire Stewards - too many holding that position are downright manipulative, have no skill set or experience and should have never been considered for the job. Stop blatantly lying about growth potential, as stated earlier, if you are young, female and good looking you have a shot - otherwise, you're screwed. I can tell you, and if I could I would name names, that there are many extremely talented people who have left Accolade because they were mistreated and disrespected.

The time is coming when these issues will come to a head. The negative reviews are posted for a reason. To those who turn a blind eye to this and just chalk it up to "disgruntled employees" think again. I live this on a daily basis and I witness to these issues first hand. I honestly believe this company will have a very, very hard time holding on to good people. The blatant favoritism, racism and sexism needs to stop

its a call center

Clinical Health AssistantHealth Assistant ( RN) (Former Employee) Plymouth Meeting, PA

ProsAs a nurse I was able to help my clients navigate the health care system and ensure they got the right care.
    That part was very rewarding. Co workers were great. Liked going to work , Pay and benefits are very good.

Consthe constant evaluation and scrutiny they put you through could be improved, Middle management ( Stewards ) are out of control . I dont think upper management knows what goes on

Advice to Senior ManagementEveryone should be treated equally so watch what the stewards are really doing to people.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Call Center, Call Center and more Call Center, CONFUSION AND MORE CONFUSION.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHealth benefits are ok even though they are kind of behind the times when it comes to 2014 Corporate Benefits in the workplace.

ConsThis is a call center or probably worse because they won't own up to that is what it is. If they would own up to that that would be half the battle. There is confusion, unrest, complications, mistrust, distrust at every corner. They say you are salaried when it serves their purpose but if it is to serve yours, being salaried takes on a new meaning. CEO and VP claim to not know what is going on underneath them, how can that be. Something is wrong when the person who owns the company claims to not know what is going on, even though there is a communication ceiling that exists. Regardless, as a CEO and upper management it is your duty to know what is gong on . They want you to speak up, give your thoughts, express your feelings, but when you do it comes back to haunt you in some nonsense they call a performance story. So, why would anyone ever speak up. Upper management needs a performance story and see how they fair. Everyone claims to know what a Health Assistant faces everyday, but those people never took a call in their lives. I challenge upper management, the "colonels" or whatever juvenile name they wish to give, to sit at a desk in this call center and take calls all day for one week. Any Management takers? You then might know what a Health Assistant deals with everyday. There is inappropriate behavior between upper management and the people under them, thereby coming off as favoritism. It's disgusting. All the people writing how great this place is I would bet my life are not African American. There is a big disparity between pay, but the expectation is the same. I can name several people of color who could not do their job as a Health Assistant and they ended up on a coaching plan, then a performance improvement plan and out the door. Again, if you don't look like they want, talk like they say, you will find yourself out the door, and it is mostly blacks. Ok don't get your panties in a bunch, there are exceptions to that rule thereby wondering why some whites are still there managing and other whites have been let go. But for the most part I can name a list of Hispanic and or blacks who could not do their job and got put out on the street and a number of whites who could not do their job, get other jobs in the company. So, the rich get richer, the poor get poorer and the blacks get on coaching plan/PIP and out the door and those that remain because they shut their mouth and become Stepford wives, talk like they say talk, walk like they say walk, keep their job but don't get raises or promotions. Again, no bunched panties and for someone to write and say, I should leave. Don't for one minute think I am not trying to and when I find something else I will leave. Overall I don't think it is the company itself, but there are too many in charge, whether true or not and knowing they won't admit to it, they are part of a racist problem that exists at Accolade and everyone would rather turn a blind eye, act like it does not exist, give you a little extra client follow up time to shut you up and then of course take it back. Ironically, they want you bend over for every client, treat them with dignity and respect, enable them, hold their hands, baby them and all they ask you to do, all they ask you to sell, they do not give it back to employees. How can you sell to the public or ask employees to sell to the public something you don't as a company give to employees. It's like a war zone, everybody is unhappy whether they are brave enough to admit it or not. It's so bad that employees are now turning on each other, not doing their jobs, turning in other's to get ahead. They like that! Eat your young and eat your own and you will go a long way at Accolade. I can name many names of blacks out the door because they didn't comply, dress the way they think you should, talk the way they think, struggled with the job. I can name many names of whites who could not do the job and got other jobs. I can name people in high places that made mistakes that would not be allowed in a real company and they get other jobs and promotions, no less. They continue to hire Stewards from outside with NO healthcare background as obviously the pool of people doing the job don't measure up. They don't, by their behavior believe in promoting from within. I won't name names or they might not publish the truth of what I write. So, sad and not getting better.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome to the trenches and take some calls! Open your eyes and look at what is going on there and hope that the NAACP does not come knocking at your door to investigate the type of treatment that goes on there. An inspirational speaker once said that companies like this, don't take a person who has many talents to offer and use those talents, nurture those talents to help them and the company grow, instead they beat you down, re-mold you into what "they" think you should be thereby missing out on the very talented pool of employees within their reach. Stop with the constant changes, settle in and settle down so that people can get a handle. You are constantly "testing" the water with one thing or another that people cannot keep up from one minute to the next as to what is going on. COMMUNICATION....THERE IS A PROBLEM. DO YOU SEE THAT OR WILL YOU CONTINUE TO IGNORE THAT. I will tell you how to be a good Health Assistant, but I have never taken a call in my life....ironic, pathetic and sad.

RUN FAR FAR FAR AWAY!

Worker Bee (Former Employee) Plymouth Meeting, PA

Prosyou will learn a lot about health care and insurance

ConsNov 11, 2013 “RUN FAR AWAY!!!!” reviewer pretty much nails it.

Advice to Senior Managementyou should hire dumber people for your cult atmosphere.

Confusion everywhere you turn. I've considered this review for 4 months before writing it.

Health Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsThe pay is not bad. The benefits are good and people are genuinely caring. Tom, the CEO is a very good natured genuine, approachable person and takes the success of the company to heart. The hours are straightforward. Weekends and holidays off. Opportunities for decent bonuses and salary increases.
    This is a new company, and has a lot of potential which is exciting to be a part of. The company is growing, but senior management has lost sight of what is happening "down in the trenches."
    The work with the clients can be very rewarding.

ConsThis company presents itself as different than a call center. But it is not. Your numbers are reviewed with you and matter immensely.
    Accolade is big on feedback, but it is taken too far. You are given feedback, and when you give feedback you are given feedback on how you gave the person feedback! Another problem is that the immediate supervisors (aka Stewards) are not all on the same page, so if you switch from one to another, and you will, what worked before might now work with the new Steward. If this is the case, you will be sure to receive feedback. Feedback is one way- from supervisors on down. It is rare that you have a supervisor that can accept hearing feedback from one of their team members. They say they are open to it, but when it happens, you immediately regret it. Feedback can be very constructive, but THAT DOESN'T MEAN YOU HAVE TO GIVE SOMEONE FEEDBACK EVERY TIME THE WIND BLOWS THE WRONG WAY UP YOUR SKIRT. You can mull it over, and be brave enough to understand you don't ALWAYS have to say what's on your mind. You can choose to let some things go. No one lets anything go though, and so the result is that you have a lot of very fragile ego's to tiptoe and dance around.
    Despite all the feedback, no one seems to feel secure in their job. People are there one day and gone the next. Management will tell you there is a process in place, but it's funny how when you talk to the employee after they are let go, they didn't seem to be aware of the process. Everyone's replaceable, but there's an intense feeling of fear around job security generally speaking.
    The company has no polices in place, or extremely few. This is because they are a new company, and everything is evolving and changing. If you cannot handle change, then this isn't the job for you. However, after 7 years, it's time for some consistency and some policies. Stop saying "we're aware of this and it's in process". They form committees to discuss every little thing that can be discussed, and then I swear it seems like committees are formed to evaluate the effectiveness of the original committees. Then all the committees get together and discuss the outcomes and give each other feedback. Just write the policies already. Like children, employees will be happy when the rules are consistent and apply to everyone.
    There are a lot of opportunities for growth, IF...your supervisor is on your side and likes you, if you are darn near close to perfect, if you mold into what they want nicely and continue on that way, if you learn the Accolade walk and talk and can pull it off. This isn't a place to be you- mold into what they want and you will have opportunities to access. Hope that in the process your feedback is consistent, otherwise you will end up dazed and confused.
    There are some really terrible Stewards, if you get one, it can mess up your career there and your chances of growth because of their issues. Some are much less than professional, although I guarantee that none of them thinks this applies to them. You can discuss this with their supervisor, but they will tell you to go give them feedback. In this case, your best bet is to lay low and keep quiet, and hope for the day you are shifted to another team. Like I said, feedback is one way for the most part.
    There is very little follow through on what you are told from your Steward. Time is an issue for all employees. 90% of the time, you will eat at your desk. There is no formal lunch break, although if you speak up, you are told you can take one, but then when you fall behind in your work, you are spoken to for poor time management skills. If you don't have enough calls to make, you will be told you aren't setting enough tasks, so you end up setting frivolous ones. You are expected to log in to your phone on time or you will have an "occurrence". However, you will be expected to stay on the phone until the moment you leave, and if you get a call 1 minute before your day is finished, you will need to sit and complete this call. You can leave an hour late- but you are salary, so there is no overtime.
    They say they look at the bigger picture, and that may be true. But IF...IF you decide to give feedback and tick someone off, then all of these little things will be used against you. They say speak up, but it isn't truly safe to do so. Hence the reason why so many come to this website.
    Supervisors and management are baffled to read these reviews, and even some staff...but instead of focusing on the confusion, DO SOMETHING. Consider that some of these reviews just might be talking about you. Really do some self evaluating. If all of the supervisors were so professional and open, then there wouldn't be so many posts on here.
    Diversity is a problem. I've seen many white people with skills less than my own move on while I and many of my colleagues are passed by. Again, they are working on it. It's being discussed. There's a committee now. Mentally, it can be exhausting to work here and deal with it all.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet, and stay consistent. Keep a better eye on your Stewards. Start asking team members for feedback on Stewards more than just once a year. And please, make some policies already!

Pretty Awesome Job, there are some pitfalls.

Health Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsIts a young company, so you get to have a hand in forming what is all ready becoming a leader in the Health Care world. The pay is fairly competitive, for the region. For the most part, the people who work there care for the greater good and for each other. You have the opportunity to really get to know and care for your clients and your coworkers. There are opportunities, both formally and informally to provide feedback, and the feedback is often acted upon. The review process is fair. There is opportunity to grow your career. You are allowed to be human and encouraged to be awesome. There are nice amenities and the building is nice

ConsThere seems to be a split in what the company actually is. The CEO and Senior VP's insist it is not a call center, yet health assistants are scheduled and treated as if they are in a call center. There is a lot of tension between the scheduling department and the Health Assistants, which is due in part to the split in what Accolade is. It often appears that it is more important to answer new calls then it is to take care of existing clients. We are expected to take breaks and attend mandated meetings during our very limited client follow up time.
    There seems to be a lot of change for change sake, or change based on theories or empirical data and not actual experience of working with clients.
    There are also very few written policies or guidelines. It is hard to work towards a goal when the target keeps moving.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecide what we are and stick with it. If we are a call center, then own than we are a call center, and message that to the Health Assistants. If we are really here to serve our clients, then message that to scheduling.
    Promote from within more and make the guidelines for promotion clearer.
    Start paying for more happy hours.
    Consider having more client ready people work on updates and improvements, and have those that are client ready who are not actively working the phones work in ready a few hours a month, so they continue to understand and remember that the changes are very different in real time.

Taking care of others and each other

ProsGreat company who is built on helping others navigate the complex healthcare system. There are always people to help and accolade provides all the right tools to help us help them. Plenty of opportunity to advance but it comes with hard work and dedication. When positions are available they are posted online and your steward will help explain your strengths to the hiring team.

ConsIt's amazing that there are so many complaints about racism when the majority of our Comcast health assistants are of color. If there are 40 negative reviews on this please know that means there are 40 people of color working here. Accolade is about hiring the best person for the job, not the best person of color- it's 2014!

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus in keeping the employees that work hard and get rid of the complainers!!

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

great pay, but do not be fooled by that.

Health Assistant (Current Employee) Plymouth Meeting, PA

ProsThere is no dress code
    They pay a bit more than they do at othe customer service call centers

ConsSomeone there very important at worst has a problem with men and black people, and at best is purposely turning a blind eye to what is a glaring diversity issue there. The Health Assistant position is the core job here, but since Accolades inception, not one single African American has been promoted from Health Assistant to Steward(manager). Not one.

This has been an issue here, but it has been all talk. They have formed some committees, and done typical things companies do to assuage black people when they complain about racial disparity---tell us to be patient--give away free food--do some outside hiring of black people as show of "see were not racists at heart". Very typical stuff. Nothing innovative.. nothing brave or bold in its vision. That leads me to the next point

They seem to have vision on the surface, but management is actually mediocre when you pull the layers of this onion back. That medicrity has cost many people jobs, raises and promotions. The reason for this is because someones ego here told them that it makes sense to promote to management inexperienced(mostly white women) to steward positions where they have to coach and dicipline adults. There are some outlyers, but generally they leave your future here in the hands of some really racially and gender biased and inept people.

There are no set policies here, and they will sell it to you like it is a good thing, but it leaves you vulnerable to your managers whims, life baggage, prejudices and bad decisions with no checks or balances.

They favor white women, that is a fact. Indisputable fact.

The CEO says he didnt notice we have a diversity issue. He lied, because all you have to do is walk around here and do a head count. We have an open office and there are no cubicles or roooms without windows.

The Health Assistant role is really collecting data about the client so the company can use that data to create metrics for the next potential employer client.

Almost like a pyramid/ponzi scheme.

Your performace is graded on your ability to extract personal infromation from your client. If you arent comfrotable with being reaaaly invasive with people under the guise of helping them, then this place is not for you.

Advice to Senior Managementquit, sell or clean house. You all laid the foundation, now let someone who knows what they are doing take over now.

To all the discontented employees

Support (Current Employee) Plymouth Meeting, PA

ProsCulture, opportunity to continuously improve and really make a difference in the lives of our clients

ConsLots of employees that just don't get it

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing!

Worked for Accolade? Contribute to the Community!