Accountant-General's Dept
www.agd.gov.sg Singapore, Singapore 50 to 149 Employees

Accountant-General's Dept Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

Very Good, job satisfaction was rewarding, I was a team player.

Accounting Technician (Former Employee)

ProsBeing the holder of all of the Government's bank account, there is much to be learnt about the functions of the Department. this Department works closely with the Ministry of Finance, where all guidelines that governs the function of Government is created and implemented.

ConsThe workload is heavy in comparison to the staff that carries out the functions hence, staff members are over worked.

Advice to Senior Managementget some more people on board to alleviate the workload which will result in a smoother running of the Department.

Not for the weak

(Former Employee)

ProsI believe that most of the reviews here are rather pessimistic and do not give enough credit to the department. A grossly understated benefit from employment at AGD is the immediate appreciation for any other future workplace. Think of this as basic military training for employment.

All employees are thrust into positions of accountability without power, and this creates an interesting situation which is also somewhat ironic as you are working for the Accountant General. Given the challenging nature of policy work and variety of projects, this is a fantastic opportunity for learning via blame.

Management regularly forgets / second guesses decisions already made and is most likely overworked. Therefore, all employees are trained to be extremely efficient to optimize workflow to make time for insignificant / cosmetic corrections which will account for about 80% of your time, including overtime [unpaid :( ]. It is not uncommon to work during weekends. It is my opinion that management makes terrible and asinine decisions frequently, but what do I know? You are also trained (somewhat) to make decisions for management, and as a bonus you will also be solely responsible for any suboptimal outcome.

Another feature of the blame game is that it is shared among all. Usually in accounting firms, the different levels of hierarchy shelter blame from lower levels. Here, the fury permeates to the bottom. I will never forget the weekly meetings where managers would exit the room in tears, blamed for things which they have no ability / power to change. Whether they were responsible for the boo-boo was irrelevant. What this means is that few or no managers are willing to "stick out" their necks for junior staff when things get rough, because there is no point. As a learning experience, you build the capacity to take higher level responsibility, and this really prepares you for higher positions at an early stage of your career, assuming you are junior.

I can confidently say that my experience at AGD has hardened my heart and lowered my workplace expectations to a point that ANY other job will greatly exceed them. It is true that NO other place can offer what AGD does.

People honestly complain way too much. First world problems.

ConsManagement style is swift and effective, and most likely modeled from sweatshops and low-wage high-output factories. Unfortunately, this archaic style does not achieve the desired outcomes in a knowledge-based economy due to rigidity. There is also little to negative value-add by Management in the problem solving process in terms of quality of insight and relevance of opinion.

Lack of internal politics among staff is not conducive to personal drive and motivation. Only the strongest and most focused should apply.

There is little transfer of technical or industry-relevant knowledge to junior staff due to outdated systems and a lack of established processes including documentation. Self-directed learning is also restricted as the nature of work / rotation system provides less opportunity for re-application of experience from prior projects. The department trains generalists which is typical practice in the public sector. This may be a pro or con depending on perspective.

Managers have no private sector experience and are greatly demoralized and worn. I worry for the future when management exits.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are amazing, just the way you are

Good colleagues, bad management culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgood salary and benefits, little politics among ground staff

Conslittle relevance to private sector, stifling company culture

Advice to Senior Managementapply your own values and judgements

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not the best experience in public sector

Singapore (Singapore)

ProsGood pay. Colleagues are generally very helpful and nice. No internal politics below managerial level, so you can get help easily from seniors

ConsThis is a poorly managed place, which is run like a dictatorship. Immediate bosses often end up guessing what the big boss wants, resulting in multiple versions of the same work being done. Furthermore, bosses do not show appreciation for the work done by employees and often assume that things can easily be done. Lastly, managment lacks private sector experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not pretend to give employees choices. Perhaps the best way to improve is to change top management

A one of a kind experience

Singapore (Singapore)

ProsThe salary and bonuses are very encouraging especially for those with accounting backgrounds. Middle/ lower management and staff are exceptionally helpful with a strong sense of camaraderie.

ConsLarge expectation dissonance between senior / top management and staff. Corporate culture of constant negative reinforcement from senior / top management; lacking in professionalism and objectivity in decision making processes within the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hearing and start listening.

One job many experience

Senior Associate (Former Employee)

ProsGet to try out many different areas like Value for Money Audit, Compliance Auditing, and even doing Operations.
    Colleagues are very helpful and friendly.

ConsDifficult to gain specialise knowledge

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open to listen to suggestions

An experience to forget

Manager (Former Employee)
    Singapore (Singapore)

ProsAs turnover is high, knows a lot of people.

ConsState of tension is the norm.

It is a short but indeed an eye-opener about working in civil service.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOnly if you are an Accountant who want to try out non commercial accounting/auditing work and you must have at least second class honours from a very reputable university. The place does provide very good benefits and work-life balance activities though.

ConsThere is no generally no direction given to new hires on their job expectations. All are expected to know how to do a project once given. Staff are practically going around in endless circles trying to get a task done.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be beneficial if Management is able to set clear objectives for the role/function for each staff instead of assuming all are aware of their responsibilities.

Worked for Accountant-General's Dept? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Accountant-General's Dept reviews and ratings. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Accountant-General's Dept employees.