Accretive Health

www.accretivehealth.com

Accretive Health Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Stephen Schuckenbrock

Pros
  • Results based promotional track allowing for hard working individuals to excel quickly to higher levels(in 12 reviews)

• Develop a strong understanding of hosptal revenue cycle and insurance companies(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Problems with work/life balance, its definitely a sink or swim mentality(in 8 reviews)

• Long hours (which is expected), need more involvment from HR and Corporate(in 14 reviews)

Great Place To Work!

ProsInteresting Projects, Great Workforce and Smart People.

ConsHectic and Very Tight Schedules A Bit Challenging At Times.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Hard Working Culture

ProsEveryone works extremely hard and is rewarded for hard work

ConsConsistently work 60+ hours per week. No work life balance

My Experience

PAS Operations Lead (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros- Teaches you how to be a "shark"
    - Long, tough days, prepare you for anything you might experience in the future
    - Young teams where you can make great friends
    - "Wild West", they don't have SOP's or best practices for a lot of what they do, they just throw something together as the client requests, lots of room to be seen
    - Little interaction with management (both pro and con) allows you the freedom to build your own "technique" for your job
    - Physician team is wonderful and will take you in as their own children (again, PAS Ops Leads are young 22-27)
    - Opportunity to cross-over to Revenue Cycle Team
    - Recruiters know this is a tough "sink or swim" environment and therefore will seek you out after about 1.5 years with AH.

Cons- Fear based motivation
    - Bonuses not paid according to performance
    - Promotions not awarded based on performance
    - Unrealistic expectations/metrics (created by management that has little interaction with employee and therefore would not understand appropriate measurements)
    - No training
    - High Turnover in management makes it hard to get a promotion because you're continually having to introduce yourself to a new manager

Advice to Senior ManagementListen. Listen without jusgement. Open your door to your team. USE the feedback & constructive criticism given my current and past employees. Accept that humans make mistakes and learn from your mistakes and/or lawsuits.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Started as an ops lead, promoted to senior lead after one year.

ProsGiven lots of responsibility as a new hire. High expectations but fast career growth potential.

ConsCompensation. Relocation requirements. Work life balance.

Ridiculous

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsDecent benefits, salary is barely competitive

ConsLittle to no communication, constant drive for the almighty $$, no regard or respect for employees whatsoever.

Lots of autonomy and responsibility; does not pay competitively

ProsAutonomy, lots of responsibility given to young operators, highly talented workforce, satisfying to be able to contribute on client sites.

ConsNot the merit-based company it purports to being. Huge divide between client sites and headquarters. Work-life balance is poor. Difficult to network and make connections. 2012 performance reviews not communicated until mid-April; bonuses not paid til May.

Bad Growth

Ops Lead (Former Employee)

ProsSalary
    Depending on the client/site you can have amazing managers.

ConsHR at Corp is awful. They have no clue what is going on out at the sites. Promotions are only given once a year. (If you start in June you have to wait 1.5 years to even have a chance at a promotion).

Advice to Senior ManagementShed everyone related to the start of the company to save it. Create a more stable growth platform and give better support to your sites with increasing IT resources.

Very focused, confident, and employee friendly work environment

Physician Advisor (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCompany is growing by leaps and bounds with management that has the potential for success.

ConsLimited opportunity for professional advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen upward mobility options to current employees

Company manages by fear and intimidation. Nepotism is the company mantra.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Kalamazoo, MI

ProsA paycheck, that's about it.

ConsSeems as if Accretive is preparing to outsource entire operation center to India. There is no actual way to meet management's expectation of work production. There are no bonus programs, incentive or any motivation for lower level employees to meet their metrics except the fear of losing their job. The employees that work pre-registration, insurance verification and customer service are the backbone of the company - there would be no Accretive without us, but we are not respected, appreciated or valued. Micromanagement is rampant and ineffective - we are adults and expect to be treated as thus. Company policy is a "case by case" basis - if you are well-liked by your team lead you will be allowed to break the rules whenever you wish. If you are not a "teachers pet" you are written up for any number of insignificant and unproven offenses. Management is very young and inexperienced with no management or human resource skills. The Kalamazoo office is a complete and utter mess.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice to see team leads and management hired that was not 20 years old and just out of college - more mature people with an old-school work ethic and life experience would be a huge improvement. The management in place now operates exactly like a high school clique or a college sorority, if you are not with the "in" crowd there is little or no chance of promotion or advancement no matter how qualified you might be. Treat your employees with respect, dignity and appreciation instead of intimidation and ridicule. Quit hiring your friends and family that have no skillset to do the job, promote from within the company.

Good Place to Work

Senior Operations Lead (Current Employee)

ProsCulture promotes self direction and innovation. Little micro-management on Operations side.

ConsCompany is riddled with public relations issues. While they are not completey meritted, they affect morale and create concern for future compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate concrete growth structure with absolute bonus recogition metrics.

Worked for Accretive Health? Contribute to the Community!