Accretive Health
www.accretivehealth.com Chicago, IL 1000 to 5000 Employees

Accretive Health Reviews

Updated Jul 5, 2014

Stephen Schuckenbrock

Pros:
  • "Results based promotional track allowing for hard working individuals to excel quickly to higher levels"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Develop a strong understanding of hosptal revenue cycle and insurance companies"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "Long hours (which is expected), need more involvment from HR and Corporate"
    in 14 reviews
  • "The work-life balance can be difficult"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good Place to Work

Senior Operations Lead (Current Employee)

ProsCulture promotes self direction and innovation. Little micro-management on Operations side.

ConsCompany is riddled with public relations issues. While they are not completey meritted, they affect morale and create concern for future compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate concrete growth structure with absolute bonus recogition metrics.

Good for for college new-hires but don't stay more than the first promotion cycle

Senior Operation Lead (Current Employee)

Pros•Lots of responsibility for inexperienced college grads
    •Chance to manage people early in your career
    •Chance to work with some really smart people

Cons• Poor feedback from managers
    • No direction for new employees. Development is hit and miss. If you have a team who is willing to mentor you can learn a lot. Many teams are cutthroat however, and relish chances to throw you under the bus or make you look bad
    • There is not structure to promotions. They will tell you it is based on performance. It’s not. It is based on how much your site lead is respected and how willing they are to work on your behalf. They do not look at performance or metrics but instead how they feel about you.
    • Bonuses and raises are haphazard and usually do not come out until April or May
    • Often hire big talkers who like to boss people around but do very little
    • Nepotism is rampant. Early promotions, raises and other perks for employees related to upper management

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote based on performance. Stop the nepotism it is really hurting moral. Pay the industry standard.

Was once exciting innovators in Healthcare now fighting for relevancy

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsReally innovative approach to dealing with many healthcare providers revenue cycle problems. Most of their process is essentially doing what the providers should already be doing, just doing it better. At its core Accretive Health has a solid business foundation and strategy.

ConsAccretive Health suffers from a systematic lack of planning and foresight. This is driven more than ever by their hiring of people right out of college without experience to keep their costs down. Accretive offers no guide, no procedures, no footprint for new operations leads to work from. The combination of offering no organizational guidance and hiring students without experience is leading to strained client relationships because employees are not given the tools in which to excel.

Many of the problems with employee satisfaction can lead back to one of the high level executives that likes to rule with an iron fist, swearing and belittling is more common than not when in his presence. Also as part of their strategy to keep costs down they keep advancement opportunities to a minimum and keep pay at the low end until an employee puts in their 2 weeks notice, at that point Accretive Health will counter offer.

Despite their solid business model I don't see Accretive Health continuing to grow. They're making a bad name for themselves with their business tactics and the way they treat employees. I don't believe they will exist in 5 years.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overly aggressive and out of touch management, treats clients poorly.

Manager (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

Pros- very intelligent people working at the company in general
    - learned a lot about the revenue cycle in hospitals
    - location of Chicago office

Cons- senior management rules by fear - screaming, belittling, etc.
    - extreme amounts of nepotism - MANY relatives and friends of CEO at the company
    - model is not scalable.
    - clients are not always treated with respect, every last dollar is squeezed out of already struggling hospital systems

Former Employee - Happier with competing firm

ProsExcellent employee knowledge, travel opportunities, accelerated industry education

ConsExtremely negative and demeaning executive management; penny pinch on their internal staff (example 1. offered a 35%+ raise to "right size me" when I received an offer from a competing company); boiler room environment

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease support staff so people do not assume 2 or more roles. There are growing companies directly competing with you, and good employees will leave for more money and less hours.

Low Employee Moral, Little to no advancement opportunities

Patient Financial Services Representative (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsIts a pay check.. I have to use more than 5 words so, um... its a job (not a career)! And THANK GOD for a job!

ConsIf you are used to some recognition for job well done, recognition of you anniversaries or milestones either verbally or monetarily.. this is NOT the place for you. All attention is paid to the MANY managers they have fresh out of college and not to the employees who have been doing the grunt work and have more practical experience.

There is no room for advancement as they would prefer to hire fresh young graduates for positions higher than the biller or follow-up representative. Even if they didn' t hire from outside there is no place for a representative to go. There can only be so many leads and so many managers. Short of that.. there arent any other positions here. There is no internal job board to inform you of the few positions that may be available.. you have to hear it from someone else or ask randomly.

There is no training for employees that could possibly advance ones career. There isnt a labor relations department, The HR representative are not knowledgeable or helpful and will only respond to inquiries in which they have initiated. They do not participate in any community or philanthropic associations/organizations. There is no incentives for healthy living, poor work life balance.

If this is presented to anyone their excuse will be.. its a new company and still in its infancy stages. The company is at least 4 years old now. That excuse doesn't apply anymore.

In summary.. if you like working like a machine with quotas that will not allow for you to have a balance, come on over. They need a LOT of people! But don't expect to be happy as that is not on their list of priorities.

Advice to Senior ManagementSince all of the above issues basically point back to Human Resources.. pick up a book or subscribe to some organizations that give tips on HR and improving employee moral AND IMPLEMENT the findings. I know more about HR and i have not gone to school for it. A company can't last if more than half of the people doing the most work are looking for another job. Good luck and God Speed

Extremely Valuable Growth Experience

Manager (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsNo where else will you find the opportunity to take on so much responsibility at such an early point in your career. Management experience is key in career growth and to have an understanding and an opportunity to manage in a number of ways has been essential to my progression and a professional.

More and more stock is being put into growth of talent and leadership. Executives are no longer satisfied with orientation and in field training (this takes place), but in depth learning and training in a classroom and organized setting is taking place and employees are flourishing.

The career acceleration has been flattering and more than acceptable. I personally have been recognized a number of ways for my hard work and commitment. Each time makes me grateful for my managers who recognize me and for senior leaders for asking for such recommendations to highlight. If you work hard, collaborate well, and get results, there is no way not to be recognized in this company (which is a benefit of how the feedback loops work).

There has been a clear effort to provide clear and precise feedback in a method that is welcoming and constructive.

ConsTraveler location could be better. There are folks that travel from longer locations (based on need) when they could be placed closer.

Rewarding opportunity to build my skillset/network, propelling my career forward with an industry leader in innovation

Operations Lead (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

Pros1. Flat corporate structure allowing for project ownership & exposure to senior leadership early on in your career
    2. Results based promotional track allowing for hard working individuals to excel quickly to higher levels
    3. Continuous expansion into new lines of services providing employees with wide-ranging opportunities in terms of career track and professional development

Cons1. Results based promotional track allowing for hard working individuals to excel quickly to higher levels: If you are not a hardworking, self-motivated, and effective work driver this company will leave you in the dust. If thats the case, Accretive Health is probably not for you. No results, no promotion; that’s the bottom line.

Nepotism Abound

Operations Lead (Former Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

Pros- Decent pay
    - Exposure to different areas of healthcare
    - I cannot think of any other pros but I there is a 20 word minimum, so here it is

Cons- No work/life balance. Expect to put in minimum 60 hour weeks
    - Minimal change for advancement/salary increase
    - Constantly putting out fires...management demanding "I want this yesterday" regularly

Advice to Senior ManagementAcknowledge that your "business model" of aggressively harassing patients to pay their bills is not sustainable

Indifferent

Chicago, IL

ProsI get to work with some of the most intelligent and driven people that I have ever met in super relevant industry with a lot of opportunity for improvement
    Not the typical consulting firm with respect to how we “partner” with clients

ConsProcesses are not necessarily defined (i.e. HR policies, path for advancement, workflow)
    Instead of being proactive, there are alot of quick fixes and fire drills.
    Performance Evaluations are useless with the "rack and stack" process

Advice to Senior ManagementThere isn't any visibility into the promotion process and no defined career path for associates. I've seen this issue cause employees to leave in search of a company with more opportunity for growth and I wish there was more attention paid to retaining quality employees.
    Spend the resources to improve processes and define roles/expectations for employees
    Revamp the Performance Evaluations so that there is more opportunity for an employee to showcase how effective they are within the company (i.e. 360 reviews not just self-evaluations with manager’s comments; It’s not just what you can show with your individual efforts but how other people view working with you, not just your manager)

Worked for Accretive Health? Contribute to the Community!

Accretive Health Videos

Accretive Health – Why Work for Us?

Accretive Health is a highly entrepreneurial company focused on changing the way hospitals operate in the 21st Century. We are a fast-growing company built on the strongest team and technology in a unique company… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Accretive Health reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Accretive Health CEO Stephen Schuckenbrock. All 198 reviews posted anonymously by Accretive Health employees.