Accretive Health Reviews

Updated April 15, 2015
248 reviews filtered by

1. No way!! On the way down the tubes....

Current Employee - CSSC in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - CSSC in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Accretive Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

NOT A ONE. If you need a job very bad and have nowhere else to go, this is it.

Cons

There are really too many to name. They underpay and overwork their staff. They bring in these kids straight out of college who have no idea what is going on to supervise and have no idea how to supervise anyone. The health benefits are horrible. No job security none whatsoever and absolutely no room for advancement. I have no ideas where these so-called "great reviews" are coming from; I'm assuming from management, cause they sure aren't coming from the support staff. If you google Accretive Health, they are ALWAYS in some type of financial trouble. The layoffs have already cut the Chicago staff down to an EIGHTH of what they used to be and probably down to a quarter overall. I honestly believe they won't be open for long. If the SEC, FBI, IRS, FTC, FCC or some other 3-letter organization doesn't shut them down soon, the MIB: Men In Black will. I give it 2 years max.

Advice to Management

Hire Supervisors who know what they are doing, instead of hiring your sister/brother's kids and/or your kids' babysitter or your neighbor's sons/daughters or the paper boy. They are driving what could be a really great company straight into the ground. A company is only as strong as its foundation and/or its biggest money-makers, which happen to be your lower-level staff who are leaving in DROVES or looking to leave soon. If they are unhappy and leave, who do you have left to supervise and to make the money to pay YOU?

2. This company is very stuck up and snobby.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at Accretive Health

Pros

Nothing! Nothing nothing nothing nothing

Cons

No freedom. Not friendly. Nothing good to say about this company at all.

3. Gained great business experience throughout college

Former Employee - Patient Financial Counselor in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Patient Financial Counselor in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Accretive Health part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great training program, worked with other college business students, great potential for monthly commission bonuses, good location

Cons

Very strict office culture, not much flexibility with schedules once they were set, senior leadership seemed secretive, not much room to move up post college

Advice to Management

Management could be much more flexible and laid back, need to create a more relaxed culture to attract younger talent, needs much more transparency to ground-level employees, commission structure could be more fair.

5. Poorly ran

I worked at Accretive Health

Pros

Location & it's a check.

Cons

Terrible management, benefits see not affordable for a family, terrible training. Management has NO ethics, there rude & condescending.

Advice to Management

Allow growth for your billers & follow up, there's no room for advancement. Teach management what ethics are, provide them with training in how to speak to people & treat everyone equal.

6. Company has Pros and Cos - still unsure of direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Accretive Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people; great work; keep up with technology so always doing something new; Good location

Cons

Unorganized; Not Process-Oriented; Wrong people have control over what happens; Poor work life balance; Daily desk environment very tight

7. Good company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Accretive Health

Pros

Always room to advance if you put in the effort.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

None

8. Opportunity if you are self-directed and outcomes-focused. Fond of this place, even with our warts.

I have been working at Accretive Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work is fun - and there is very little micromanaging.
    You will get a lot of resume-stuffing experience, and quickly.
    There are some talented teammates if you can find them.
    The work we do impacts the bottom line of our customers.
    C-Suite understands our deficiencies and are working hard to fix them.
    C-Suite understands our strengths and is investing in them.

Cons

1. Lots of leadership turnover -As a result, our priorities are always changing and it seems like we are always "turning the corner."

2. Clarity about your career progression - Two major factors that impact my opion of this.
        a. Who you work for - If you work for a good VP - this is not an issue, you will have a good sense of the opportunities around you and when you will be ready ready to take them on. If not, good luck, you will have to push your own agenda to get ahead in the firm.
        b. There is no "Accretive Standard" around performance management, so managers don't have a clear sense of the behaviors/outcomes they need to achieve in order to progress - as a result, neither do the employees below them

2. Clients are not always aligned with our "drive to perform." My sense is that our pitch sounds good in theory to hospital CFO's, but the managers below that are wary of us and see us as a threat. Working conditions can be tense if you aren't a good relationship manager.

Advice to Management

1. The teams need extensive soft-skill training and practice, and they need it immediately.
    2. There is a huge void in RCM Intellectual Discourse - We can lead the conversation if we publish white papers.

9. Good place to start.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Accretive Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Competitive salary, stable work hours, great work-life balance, great location, amazing location, great coworkers.

Cons

HR was very unorganized and their mistakes spilled into other departments.
    Upper management was very disconnected from the staff.
    Little recognition for employees who put in the extra work. Mostly lateral movement through the company with very few chances for a raise/promotion.

Advice to Management

Find some stability.

Opportunities for advancement

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Accretive Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The opportunities for advancement are there but don't plan on it happening over night.
    The company offers decent benefits but have expensive premiums.

Cons

Management is very disconnected from other staff.
    The pay could always be better.

Questionable ethics

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Accretive Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company offers reasonable starting wages, decent benefits that include paid short-term disability and paid holidays.

Cons

Management is disengaged from daily operations, often implementing processes that are poorly constructed and even more poorly executed. Ethics are questionable- racism, nepotism and sexism are often demonstrated by management. Employees are unable to affect any change due to personal relationships between management and human resources. Attempts to bring questionable managerial conduct to the attention of corporate management results in a covering-up of misconduct. The environment is very high-stress and the tension is palpable. The turn-over rate is extremely high and staffing levels are never met due to walk-outs.

Advice to Management

Research CCC operations. Investigate current employee complaints. Apply credence to the words of those not on the corporate ladder who are responsible for enduring the grunt work that keeps the company operating.