Accretive Technology

Updated December 15, 2014
Updated December 15, 2014
4.6

Shawn Boday

Great company, but struggles with Transparency.

Current Employee - Software Developer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Accretive Technology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

— A lot of fun to work at. Freedom to pursue interesting technical challenges.
    — Great Work from home policy.
    — Very Dog Friendly.
    — Some pretty amazing benefits (22 days of vacation/PTO, 8 holidays), great (paid-for) medical plan, 50% 401k matching, Profit-sharing bonuses, bus pass, gym membership, etc.
    — No dev burnout!
    — Awesome industry to work in.
    — Career advancement is encouraged, and good work is recognized.

Cons

— Very Political. Middle management heavy.
    — Base Salaries (for junior engineers) are 10-20% below the mean.
    — Long vesting schedules on everything. Bonuses take ~2yrs to become a meaningful portion of your take-home pay.
    — No transparency when it comes to business metrics. Very few have any idea how the business is doing. Hard to feel personally invested when you’re not sure how your performance affects the business.

— Lower the bar on your vesting schedules, and/or increase the pay for lower tier employees. Also, The ratio of Senior/juniors engineers is very high.
    — Embrace new technologies (with healthy skepticism).
    — Reduce the bureaucracy involved when adopting new Technologies/Methodologies.
    — Tell the employee’s about how the Business actually operates/performs. What are the gross margins? What is the cash flow? What is our customer retention (and how has it changed over time) ? What is the overhead? What are your plans for the future? Telling us these things may help us feel more invested in the company.

Interesting overall

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Accretive Technology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good people in general to work with, very friendly and laid back overall.

Cons

There was not a lot of inter departmental collaboration or interaction so there was a bit of ambiguity when walking past other employees. I was not the biggest fan of the sites that were supported by the company.

Teach and promote growth of the employee rather than have them be task driven positions.

Opportunity to work with Exceptional People

Current Employee - Web Developer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Accretive Technology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent people, freedom and flexibility, unbeatable office culture. Fun, challenging, playful and exciting. When you look forward to going to work every day you know you are in the right place. Also the benefits are unbeatable and salaries are really great.

Cons

There is a pretty big learning curve for the process so you've got to be patient. The work demand can be high at times so you need to be willing to kick it in gear to meet deadlines.

More benefits supporting beyond the employee to spouses or family would be appreciated.

I LOVE this company!

I have been working at Accretive Technology full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are so many - where do I begin?! The people are incredible! The culture is fun and hardworking! Benefits are over the top and the way we are treated is TOP NOTCH!! If you can work here - DO IT - you wont want to leave!

Cons

We are growing so fast with technology that some other things take a bit longer to get done...

Keep rockin it and always praise your employees - we work hard for you!

A Truly Remarkable Company

Current Employee - Human Resources in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Accretive Technology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Privately held, no outside investors to satisfy, hence job security. Unbelievable focus on work-life balance; very transparent and collaborative environment; awesome benefits including profit sharing. Owners are developers, so this is a company driven by technology. Flat management hierarchy - no VP's. Young company in business for 14 years with a mature concept and ever-evolving product. Several hundreds of millions in revenue.

Cons

Too much innovation, not enough contributors. Need more good developers and QA pro's to execute upon ideas.

Keep up the good work.

"dot com" startup feel but without the stress of VC money

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer (LAMP LEED) in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer (LAMP LEED) in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Accretive Technology

Pros

14-year old, privately held company, that makes several hundred million dollars per year, so we don't sweat money like other start-ups, nor do we have to answer to a VC BOD. Anything you need to do your job is provided without any debate. The perks are amazing: matching 401k (who still does that!?), very generous and competitive salary, quarterly bonuses with guaranteed minimums, full medical/dental/vision including the co-pay!, paid parking, gym memberships, bus passes. Catered food twice a month. Bagels every Friday. Company events like paintball, golf, picnics, zoo trips. The whole company goes on a fully paid first class vacation to exotic lands with your S.O. every 18 months or so! So many more perks I can't think of...

Cons

It feels like they have grown very quickly despite being 14 years old. They have a lot of money, but some of the technology and HR stuff is a little quirky, even compared to other adolescent start-ups. For example, FTE fill out a time-sheet still -- usually a FTE simply fills out a sheet for the days off, not the days worked. We have amazing huge printer/scanner machines that aren't connected to the network?! There is no public LAN share drive? There was no developer email list until recently. Some of the code base is a bit "legacy" and while it's slowly being brought up to speed, it can be frustrating at times to work with.

Can't Imagine Working Anywhere Else

I have been working at Accretive Technology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The health, well-being and happiness of the employees is a top priority. Salaries are competitive and the benefits are excellent: 12 PTO days, 8 holidays and 2 weeks vacation (increases over time). The environment is relaxed and it's easy for the lowest level employee to get feedback to upper management. It's friendly with employees eating and chatting together throughout the day. They are very cognizant of recognizing employees that go the extra mile and will reward hard workers.

Cons

Some of the code is a little dated. We're still working with flash and some departments need to support IE6. The company has grown a lot in the last year, so office space has become tighter over time.

Accretive Technology Photos