Accruent

Updated January 22, 2015
3.5

Accruent CEO Mark Friedman
Mark Friedman

Pros
  • Break room is great with fun games (in 11 reviews)

• Growing company with potential to become a player in IWMS market (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • No 401K matching and the food offered is often out (in 11 reviews)

• No 401k matching, they say that the "little" bonus you get makes up for no (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Looking up

I have been working at Accruent

Pros

I feel like there are so many positive things happening at Accruent and I'm excited to work here. I have worked many places but have never worked somewhere that placed so much emphasis on working to goals, getting things right, owning your own work and being transparent about company challenges and how they are going to systematically change things from good but not great. Its refreshing to be a part of a company like this and I will be loyal any day to a company that owns up to not being perfect, stands by principles and works to be better and you actually see the change.

Cons

Don't really have anything to complain about here.

Continue to embrace all the new stuff that training is doing for managers. Love how my manager coaches me and gives me space to learn and do my work.

Moving in the right direction!

I have been working at Accruent

Pros

Lots of opportunity for career growth. You get to work with really smart people. Awesome culture. Huge improvements rolled out on compensation and benefits. All of the comments and ratings that noted "no 401K match" are now invalid! Compensation is tied to your performance and results, which is how it should be. It was already a great place to work and it seems like it is only getting better!

Cons

Not much to note here. Pace of change is high, with multiple recent acquisitions completed. Not really a con, but you need to be a hard worker, love a fast paced environment and not be someone who likes the status quo.

Love the recent changes being rolled out on benefits and compensation. Keep it up!

Growing Company With A Great Culture

I have been working at Accruent full-time

Pros

Managers give direction, but generally allow employees to work at their own pace. Employees are given legitimate opportunities to shine. Managers really care about the employees. Some employers will treat you like a gear that needs occasional maintenance or can get replaced. I've always felt appreciated at Accruent.

They have a great culture. It's difficult to explain the weight that should be put on that. There's almost always snacks and catered food. There are games in the breakroom. They have a lot of fun team building events. Yet, what sticks out to me is the amazing people. The people that I get to work with, from all levels of the company, are talented, hardworking, and genuinely nice people. When you enjoy what you're doing and the people that you work with, it makes it feel less like some job and more like a long-term career.

Accruent is growing rapidly. There is a lot of opportunity for employees to take on challenges and grow with the company.

Cons

Compensation is often below market. They are working on changing that. With the rapid growth, it can become difficult to juggle all of your responsibilities.

As the company grows, do everything that you can to hold onto the culture. Compensation needs to be a focus, but the culture is what sets Accruent apart.

Accurent is a fantastic place to work. Great culture, great people, great values.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Accruent full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Accruent provides flexibility in work hours as well as a fun culture and environment. There is much opportunity for career growth and you're surrounded by intelligent people with strong values who challenge you and care about your development.

Cons

Initially it was benefits, however the company has taken great strides to improve all benefits related complaints.

Abundant Opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Accruent full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Accruent provides many opportunities to learn. You are empowered to make decisions and given responsibilities far sooner than you would at other companies. The company's vision is ambitious and it isn't afraid to go after what it wants.

Cons

Compensation is below market and raises only happen with promotion. This appears to be changing so it may not be an issue moving forward.

The ambition described above might be excessive. At times projects aren't completed with the appropriate polish leaving many things not quite "done".

Keep listening to the COO - he has his hand on the pulse of reality. Also, do a better job of communicating the ongoing vision so the team can understand how they can contribute to the success of the organization. Take more time to do things the right way - faster isn't always better.

A company with a lot of potential that is floundering

Current Employee - Support Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Support Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Accruent full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I started at this company for the work-life balance and culture, but that is slowly fading. Open PTO is a plus, except some departments think 11 days a year is too much and some departments are fine with 5 weeks a year. It all depends where you end up. Support is great about days off. Professional Services is the opposite. I like that I have the ability to speak my mind if I need to with management. I am able to make doctors appointments and leave early if needed. Resources such as laptops, monitors, etc are in good supply and many have the opportunity to work from home if needed. Relaxed dress code. Snacks in the break room, always soda stocked. The desks and office space are modern. 401k matching. The health benefits are pretty good. A lot of opportunity to transfer and/or get promoted. But don't be fooled, promoted does not always mean a significant raise. The CEO is great, I have no complaints there. If you're going to be at this company, I recommend Support. Management is great. The other departments have a real lack of culture.

Cons

Your bonus depends on things you cannot control, such as Sales bookings.
    You will be told in NHO that the company is not made up of clock watchers and that results are more important. This is a lie. Support has shifts, you will be expected to be there for them. Professional Services works 55+ weeks consistently. I don't think anyone at the company isn't willing to work hard, but for the below-market salaries, it's not worth it.
    The company has all these values that are supposedly important but not everyone is required to abide by them. Sales is the most disrespectful group and they are never questioned on the way they treat others.
    Accruent acquires companies and then doesn't hire enough staff to handle the workload that those companies bring. G&A is drowning in the amount of work they have. I don't think the E team is even aware of the workload places on this department. They constantly make comments about the acquisitions "settling" but things are not settling. Things are insane and the idea of another acquisition is enough to make employees want to seek other opportunities.
    Maternity/Paternity Leave is a joke. When I applied to a company with open PTO, I expected that paid maternity leave would be a benefit. It's common sense. But actually, you get 3 days of paid maternity leave and the rest of the time you are required to go on short-term disability, which is not full salary. When someone goes on maternity leave, they are not temporarily replaced, so why does the company need to have the employee go on disability? If a coworker goes on maternity leave, the rest of the team picks up the slack for them. It's basically the company saving themselves money.
    I personally believe the every other week parties with alcohol are a negative, but some probably consider it a positive. I think it attracts the wrong people and promotes the wrong kind of culture.
    I feel like I'm on a sinking ship.

Hire more staff to keep up with the acquisitions and let the dust settle before acquiring another company.
    Adjust the maternity/paternity leave. It is seriously lacking compared to every other software company.
    Don't give impossible objectives for bonuses.
    Hire a licensed bartender for ACL's or have drink tickets so employees are not getting belligerent.
    Open PTO is only benefit if departments are united on how to use it. Train management on how to manage an oPTO plan.

Look elsewhere if you value yourself

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Accruent full-time

Pros

Great entry level work. They have good training systems so they can develop all their employees quickly, especially those right out of school. Here you’ll have lots of room to grow your career and skills horizontally and vertically.

Cons

Below average pay, and if you manage to get the pay you are happy with, good luck. They might let you go just so they can hire someone cheaper. Everyone is a commodity here except for the execs, who are secretive and duplicitous.

Tbh, I love this place, but I am a fresh college graduate

Current Employee - Associate Support Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Associate Support Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Accruent

Pros

Competitive pay
    Great workplace culture
    Lots of career path flexibility

Cons

No 401k matching
    Health benefits could stand to be better, but not bad.

Only for the inexperienced

I worked at Accruent full-time (less than a year)

Pros

If you are straight out of college you can get your start here for 1-2 years. Happy hours every other week if you like that sort of thing. A lot of the people you'll work with are smart and hard working. I made some good friends here.

Cons

The cons are everything else. There is no empowerment of the rank and file employees. Even if you have experience and know what you are talking about, no one will listen. Only people with Director-level titles or above have any say. Just take a look around, if you aren't in an office, your opinion simply doesn't matter. All directives and projects come from the top. You'll end up working on projects that make no sense and cost upwards of 6 figures. They don't have money for things that make sense (like hiring more staff) but if an executive wants it, they'll get it. It's a very parental environment.

There is way too much emphasis on personality tests. You have to pass one just to get in the door here - be warned anyone who is in an acquired company, you will have to take this test and if you don't pass out the door you go. Then you'll take more tests to see how you fit in - he's red, she's blue!- and people will treat you according to that color. It's completely ridiculous.

Work/life balance is a joke. I worked every weekend until I gave up trying to get ahead. I received texts in the middle of the night and calls on the weekend. Sure, there's unlimited time off, but if you can't take it then it's not exactly a perk. You are expected to work long hours every week because the workloads are unmanageable and they won't hire more people.

Most of management is not good. There are people managers here who definitely shouldn't be managing people. My guess is the really good ones leave as fast as they can and they end up putting whoever is left over in charge. My manager was not supportive at all, in fact they chose to nitpick the smallest issue to death. We were short-staffed (most of the departments are) and that kind of environment is completely defeating. People get burned out and it's why most people leave by the end of their first year. I couldn't even make it that long!

Start hiring experienced people and listen to them. Just because something is your idea doesn't make it gold and untouchable. You're a company with 500+ employees, you can't continue to manage this way. Pay attention to divisions with extremely high turn over rates. That shouldn't be the norm.

No Heads Aren't Better Than One

I worked at Accruent

Pros

The front line employees are fantastic and try to foster an awesome work environment. I suppose the benefits are pretty good as well.

Cons

Notice that I wrote "the FRONT LINE employees are fantastic". A significant percentage of the middle managers and Executive Team deserve an occasional punch in the mouth given the way they yell or verbally abuse those employees who are not managers. Also, while"Integrity" is one of Accruent's, values, it does appear to be in short supply among middle managers and members of the Executive team. I've personally heard a member of the Executive Team (Professional Services) scream insults at a coworker, listened as a middle manager dressed down another front line employee in retaliation for simply asking a question about their pay, and was shocked to learn that the President destroyed a piece of my personal property that he borrowed without my permission. While this sounds shockingly petty, I would characterize the President as such. When prospects and customers think of Accruent, many of them associate the company with the President who makes false promises, gets irritated when called on the carpet, and/or avoids them at all costs. There's also the story about a $14,000 gift...I THINK it was a purse, but I'm sure :-)

Culturally, throwing fellow employees under the bus happens way too frequently. There are far too many examples to list in this post. Suffice to say, middle managers, in attempt to enhance their perceived value in the eyes of the Executive Team, achieve this end by pointing fingers.

At least the benefits, such as unlimited PTO, are awesome. An employee definitely needs unlimited PTO because the BS employees put up with can be exhausting.

My advice to the Executive Team would be to polish off your resumes as some of you are clearly out of your depth when it comes to performing your job. I am certain that yelling one's displeasure at employees, during weekly forecast calls, won't increase sales while developing finished products might do the trick. Along that end, it might help if you don't release a product before it's finished. It would be even better if you avoid releasing an unfinished product at your user's conference. You do not need an MBA to deduce that you actually have to have a product to sell to drive revenue. The final piece of advice, I would offer, is stop traveling to visit prospects on sales calls. No one wants to hear any of you blabber on for the sake of hearing your own voice. You can't sell. Believe me, I've heard you try. If it was painful for me to hear, it's even more so for those poor souls who are overcome with dread when they see you waiting in their lobby...but really, polish off your resume.