Accuquote

Updated October 30, 2014
Updated October 30, 2014
3.3

Byron Udell

Innovative Company with Passion and Growth Opportunity!

Current Employee - Management in Wheeling, IL
    Current Employee - Management in Wheeling, IL

I have been working at Accuquote full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Culture is very friendly. Solid track record of promoting from within. CEO displays an incredible love and passion for what we do for our customers, and that passion reminds us every single day why our customers need our help and guidance. Some employees have the ability to work remotely from home, which provides an excellent work life balance. New perk gives a nice discount for a health club membership at a brand new facility close to our office. Plenty of growth opportunity for those who work hard and apply themselves! Large TV screens throughout the entire office give our employees different kinds of helpful information in a fun way to see it! Very exciting to see where our company will be in the next 1 to 3 years as we look to expand our product portfolio solutions for our customers!

Cons

While the Long Term Disability benefits are outstanding, employees who need health insurance for their families have a hard time making this work for them.

We need to ask and listen to our employees even further to hear what they want. We all tend to get busy with the "day to day", but making time to ask, listen, and communicate more on the topics most important to our employees is something we can get even better at.

Nov 3, 2014CEO

Thanks very much for your feedback, and for the positive comments about your experience at AccuQuote. We certainly value our longtime employees like yourself.

It gives me such pleasure to read
    ... More

Honest Review - Look Elsewhere

I worked at Accuquote full-time

Pros

Co-workers, they are what make you come in everyday but most have left for greener pastures. Nothing else.

Cons

Inconsistent messages from management (some of which have no business or experience being managers), low pay and the overall feeling that the only thing the company cares about is $$$$.

Stop making your employees feel dejected and have some more seasoned members of management. Compensate your employees appropriately and work together - the atmosphere culminates an "all for myself attitude" and not a team mentality by any stretch.

Oct 6, 2014CEO

Thanks very much for your feedback. I'm sorry your experience here wasn't more positive, but I agree with you that the people here help make the work fulfilling and satisfying. Our talented employees ... More

An average firm with potential, but lack of direction and leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wheeling, IL

I worked at Accuquote as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The current VP of IT is an amazing leader and wonderful woman to work for and with. The staff is friendly and it's a relatively good place to go to work everyday.

The firm is very good with work/life balance and my experience there was not only flexible, but understanding and all members of the staff that I dealt with, including senior leadership focused on family first.

Cons

From an IT perspective, the infrastructure is incredibly old and senior management doesn't seem to place a true value in that infrastructure.

Senior leadership at it's highest levels are a bit snobbish, and very cheap. Decisions are not made on value, they are made on cost. There has been recent turnover at the top of the leadership chain and the new executive that runs the ship will be retiring soon. Therefore more turnover in management can be expected.

Their benefits package is quite possibly the worst I have ever seen. If you have a family, you can without a doubt, do better elsewhere.

The saddest thing about this firm is the lack of vision for where the company will be going in the future. They are very locked into "process" rather than progress. The HR department is a tiny bit slippery, unclear in their direction, but in fairness to them, they are honest and try to be fair.

Focus less on process and more on progress. My personal experience with you showed the signs of a good small company to work for, but unclear vision and follow through. You have an ace in the hole with Kim Illg and you should give her the wings to fly as far as she would like to. She made a hiring decision recently that was overturned, and that was a mistake in my opinion. That being said, I wish all of you the best and feel that you have some great people in place overall to help to get you where you need to go.

Oct 7, 2014CEO

Wow! Rarely do we get such detailed, specific and thought out comments here, so thanks for that. And thanks for the feedback. Whether it’s positive or negative, we value the input from former ... More

Passion driven company and great people to work with

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wheeling, IL

I have been working at Accuquote full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Owner and leadership are passionate about protecting as many families as possible.
    Entreprenuerial culture values employees ideas and offers opportunities to contribute talents.
    Work-life balance is a definte plus.

Cons

If you have an interest or talent in another area, let someone know. Opportunities exist to contribute in other departments or on various projects.

Aug 18, 2014CEO

This is the type of review that makes me proud of the company we've built. It's so rewarding to learn that my passion is rubbing off on the other people here. And knowing that you're a current ... More

Once a promising company, now seems to be on its deathbed

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Wheeling, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in Wheeling, IL

I have been working at Accuquote full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a company with absolutely great potential: the CEO has true passion for what the company does, paired with a fantastically talented staff, though current leadership appears to lack ability to influence and impart vision in a wider scope to their respective departments. The people we work are the absolute best asset the company has --- you won't find another company with more dedicated employees that WANT to make a difference in the world at large with what they do!

Cons

Senior leadership does not appear to connect with or understand their subordinates at a respectable level. Often times, the day to day difficulties seem lost upon most management and the obstacles faced (and overcome!) by most employees are apparently disregarded by "higher-ups". Healthcare costs are high, holiday time off is at the absolute bare minimum, no matched 401k, and generally sloppy management of departments feels rampant. Recent mass layoffs have rocked the foundation of the company and there is a general feeling of instability.

Simplify, simplify, simplify. You have too many initiatives and no clear vision or direction. This was a great company once, and can be again! Your employees are what made this company grow at an incredible pace early on, and THEY are what can set it back on track. Listen to their complaints, heed their concern. If someone says they're overworked, they likely are. Above all else, compensate equally, give credit where credit is due! Extremely talented people have left for better opportunities based on that alone. Best of luck in the future!

Aug 18, 2014CEO

Thanks for your feedback. You're right about the passion and talent that exists at AccuQuote - both are plentiful. And our dedication is, in my opinion, what sets us apart; we are relentless about ... More

A Sales Organization that Rewards Hard Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wheeling, IL

I have been working at Accuquote full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

AccuQuote is a sales organization at heart - no doubt about that. With that in mind, there's certainly an emphasis on results and conversion. However, hard work, passion and innovation are rewarded. I am into my second decade at AccuQuote and it's all been spent in the Sales Department. I've progressed because the people I've worked for and with recognized my commitment to the organization, to the products that we sell, and to the families we protect. If your belief in what we do is genuine and authentic and your work ethic is strong, management will see that and you'll be compensated accordingly.

Cons

More paid holidays off would be nice, as many staffers have families (right now, I believe we just are given off the basic holidays). While nowadays it is more difficult to provide insurance for a company of this size, more affordable coverage would be a nice perk (especially for those with families; that per month premium is sizable).

Continue to recognize hard work and promote from within. Also, keep on dedicating time to training and development of the sales staff. Lastly, stay with your commitment to changing our company's marketing and sales overall strategy - from quantity to quality

Jul 3, 2014CEO

Thanks so much for your feedback. I'm thrilled to have staffers like you who spend over 10 years here at AccuQuote committing themselves to protecting families. All of our success couldn't be ... More

I enjoyed working for Accuquote, they did not discriminate against age, race, sex, etc...

Former Employee - Policy Holder Services Representative/Receptionist in Wheeling, IL

I worked at Accuquote full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Accuquote was fair with their employees. The management staff were the best. Out time for vacation or sick time was accumulated each month and if not taken during a calendar year, instead of losing the time, they compensated you by paying you for the hours.

Cons

Accuquote is very fair on promoting employees to management or other positions if you qualify for the job.

Jul 9, 2014CEO

Wow! What a great review. Thanks so much for your time here and for your wonderful feedback. It's people like you who make this place special. Thanks again.

Customer Service

I worked at Accuquote

Pros

Life Insurance is very important and it is apparent that the company believes in providing this benefit to its customers

Cons

Lack of structure and diversity of thought.

Jul 3, 2014CEO

Thank you for your honest feedback. I find tremendous value in hearing what my employees past and present think - positive and negative Plus, It’s hard to fix problems unless you know what they are ... More

Micromanaged!

I worked at Accuquote

Pros

You have a job, coworkers are nice and friendly. take there advise, they have been there longer, and know better.

Cons

micro managed
    must sell given quota
    poor leads
    avg agent makes 30k!

your agents make your living...treat them better! pay them better if you want them to stick around.

May 20, 2014CEO

Thank you for your honest feedback. It’s hard to fix problems unless you know what they are, so thanks again for sharing your thoughts! While it is obviously hard to please everyone, we have many ... More

"If you see something, say something" culture helps foster employee growth, development and fulfillment

I have been working at Accuquote full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Like a lot of jobs, you get out of it what you put in. If you show a passion for what AccuQuote does (protect families), which comes from the very top (CEO Byron Udell), you'll find yourself growing as a professional, taking on expanded roles, promoted and satisfied both professionally and personally. To that end, there's a more than fair work-life balance that exists at AccuQuote, as well as an ultra casual dress code and a brainstorming and creative vibe that permeates the building. Senior management is open to new ideas and initiatives, but be ready to execute your plan and not just delegate it. The most valuable lessons in business and life insurance are learned from participating in interactions with high level management - and if you're not exposed to those interactions, you'd benefit immensely from being proactive and seeking out those folks with ideas, strategies, questions, and more questions. You'll never know (or learn) if you don't ask.

Cons

A stronger benefits package might entice current employees to stay and help attract new ones. While the nature of the business doesn't allow too much flexibility, giving employees only the basic and mandatory holidays off isn't ideal. Increases in compensation could come with more regularity and be more impactful in terms of size. There are some that lack Byron's passion and treat their time there as a job (mail it in) and not a career; it's somewhat challenging at times to work with these people.

Continue to reward those who execute Byron's and AccuQuote's vision. For those who want an extended career at AccuQuote, create a track and plan to follow. Improve benefits. A random free lunch or company outing is nice, but what really makes a difference to employees is a suprise bonus - that's financial and substantial - for a job well done.

May 20, 2014CEO

Thanks. It sounds like you share my passion for what we do here. And in my book, that's what really matters. I'm glad you seek out others for learning and best practices - that's part of our culture ... More