Accuquote Reviews

Updated April 2, 2015
26 reviews filtered by
3.7
Byron Udell

1. A forward-thinking company with clear goals.

Current Employee - Office in Wheeling, IL
    Current Employee - Office in Wheeling, IL

I have been working at Accuquote full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Communication between the different departments is open and encouraged. Management is passionate and attempts to look at the business with an eclectic perspective. Flexible work schedules, casual attire is not discouraged unless during an inappropriate occasion. Issues in the workplace are easily addressed to management and coworkers. A company with great potential for growth.

Cons

Corporate culture is somewhat lacking, but the employees are a tight-knit, hardworking group that treat each other like family. A very comfortable work environment, overall.

Advice to Management

There is a consistent struggle between quality and quantity within the business. Approach issues in a way that at least attempts to find a happy medium.

Apr 13, 2015CEO

Thanks for the kind words. If it seems like we’re poised for growth, it’s because we are! This is an exciting time for AccuQuote, and I couldn’t be more thrilled about where we are headed. When it ... More

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Account Executive in Wheeling, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Wheeling, IL

I have been working at Accuquote full-time (more than a year)

Pros

First, it starts at the top. The CEO, Byron Udell, is absolutely dedicated to the product and this company. He has an open door policy, literally. If you ever have questions or concerns, he welcomes you to stop by his office and share your thoughts with him. I have never worked in life insurance before and within a year I was making very good money! It wasn't just the money though. I found myself becoming an even better Life Insurance agent. Everybody here wants you to be successful and wants you to be the best you can be. I have come to love the life insurance industry and find myself sharing the same passion as our CEO! Great company!

Cons

The only thing would be the benefits. Of course, with Obamacare and rising costs in healthcare, it's difficult for any company to provide health insurance to their employees at cheap rates, but it certainly would be nice!

Advice to Management

Continue to promote from within and listen to agent's ideas! We will grow as a company if we continue to work together!

Feb 17, 2015CEO

Wow! Thanks for the kind words. It’s very important for me to have an open door policy, where AEs and staff can come in my office to run things by me. If someone has a case that’s challenging or a ... More

3. Sales Driven

I worked at Accuquote (more than a year)

Pros

success was rewarded but support could have been better

Cons

short term outlook narrowed responsiveness to quick fixes

Advice to Management

focus on one major initiative at a time

Mar 2, 2015CEO

Thanks for your review. It’s a priority to me to reward good people who do good work, so I’m glad that’s being noticed. As for our priorities and objectives, we’ve identified a few key ones (one is ... More

Great place

I have been working at Accuquote

Pros

Near my house which is good.

Cons

Not sure of any cons.

Advice to Management

I haven't been there long enough.

Jan 13, 2015CEO

Thanks for the feedback and favorable review. I wish all of our employees had as short a commute as you do. And my house is near the office as well, so I can appreciate what a perk it is!

Great Leadership Team who cares about employees

Current Employee - Video Producer in Wheeling, IL
    Current Employee - Video Producer in Wheeling, IL

I have been working at Accuquote full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Byron, and the rest of the Senior Leadership team, as well as all of the supervisors and other employees really do care about everyone, and do their best to make everyone feel welcome and important. Byron is a very good CEO and his direct connection with the employees really goes to show how important this company is to him, and how he wants his employees to feel good about working here.

Life Insurance is a important product and people do need to be protected, so it feels good that you are actually working for a company whose number one priority is to help people.

Cons

Location in Wheeling is a bit far from the city.
    Benefits could be slightly better

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing with making employees feel welcomed and important. Listen to ideas, and don't be afraid of change or growth!

Jan 2, 2015CEO

Thank you very much for the feedback and kind words. It is important to me that all our employees feel welcome—that’s the culture and environment we aim to have here. And I make it well known that ... More

Innovative Company with Passion and Growth Opportunity!

Current Employee - Management in Wheeling, IL
    Current Employee - Management in Wheeling, IL

I have been working at Accuquote full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Culture is very friendly. Solid track record of promoting from within. CEO displays an incredible love and passion for what we do for our customers, and that passion reminds us every single day why our customers need our help and guidance. Some employees have the ability to work remotely from home, which provides an excellent work life balance. New perk gives a nice discount for a health club membership at a brand new facility close to our office. Plenty of growth opportunity for those who work hard and apply themselves! Large TV screens throughout the entire office give our employees different kinds of helpful information in a fun way to see it! Very exciting to see where our company will be in the next 1 to 3 years as we look to expand our product portfolio solutions for our customers!

Cons

While the Long Term Disability benefits are outstanding, employees who need health insurance for their families have a hard time making this work for them.

Advice to Management

We need to ask and listen to our employees even further to hear what they want. We all tend to get busy with the "day to day", but making time to ask, listen, and communicate more on the topics most important to our employees is something we can get even better at.

Nov 3, 2014CEO

Thanks very much for your feedback, and for the positive comments about your experience at AccuQuote. We certainly value our longtime employees like yourself.

It gives me such pleasure to read
    ... More

8. Manager of Architecture and Database

I worked at Accuquote (more than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with. Flexible schedule and fast paced work environment.

Cons

Small company with limited budgets and the worst benefit package I have ever experienced in all of my positions

Dec 8, 2014CEO

Thank you very much for the feedback. Our people are one of our most valuable assets, and we certainly make a healthy work-life balance a top priority.

In terms of our benefits, we are always
    ... More

9. Honest Review - Look Elsewhere

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wheeling, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wheeling, IL

I worked at Accuquote full-time

Pros

Co-workers, they are what make you come in everyday but most have left for greener pastures. Nothing else.

Cons

Inconsistent messages from management (some of which have no business or experience being managers), low pay and the overall feeling that the only thing the company cares about is $$$$.

Advice to Management

Stop making your employees feel dejected and have some more seasoned members of management. Compensate your employees appropriately and work together - the atmosphere culminates an "all for myself attitude" and not a team mentality by any stretch.

Oct 6, 2014CEO

Thanks very much for your feedback. I'm sorry your experience here wasn't more positive, but I agree with you that the people here help make the work fulfilling and satisfying. Our talented employees ... More

10. An average firm with potential, but lack of direction and leadership

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Wheeling, IL
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Wheeling, IL

I worked at Accuquote as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The current VP of IT is an amazing leader and wonderful woman to work for and with. The staff is friendly and it's a relatively good place to go to work everyday.

The firm is very good with work/life balance and my experience there was not only flexible, but understanding and all members of the staff that I dealt with, including senior leadership focused on family first.

Cons

From an IT perspective, the infrastructure is incredibly old and senior management doesn't seem to place a true value in that infrastructure.

Senior leadership at it's highest levels are a bit snobbish, and very cheap. Decisions are not made on value, they are made on cost. There has been recent turnover at the top of the leadership chain and the new executive that runs the ship will be retiring soon. Therefore more turnover in management can be expected.

Their benefits package is quite possibly the worst I have ever seen. If you have a family, you can without a doubt, do better elsewhere.

The saddest thing about this firm is the lack of vision for where the company will be going in the future. They are very locked into "process" rather than progress. The HR department is a tiny bit slippery, unclear in their direction, but in fairness to them, they are honest and try to be fair.

Advice to Management

Focus less on process and more on progress. My personal experience with you showed the signs of a good small company to work for, but unclear vision and follow through. You have an ace in the hole with Kim Illg and you should give her the wings to fly as far as she would like to. She made a hiring decision recently that was overturned, and that was a mistake in my opinion. That being said, I wish all of you the best and feel that you have some great people in place overall to help to get you where you need to go.

Oct 7, 2014CEO

Wow! Rarely do we get such detailed, specific and thought out comments here, so thanks for that. And thanks for the feedback. Whether it’s positive or negative, we value the input from former ... More

11. Passion driven company and great people to work with

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wheeling, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wheeling, IL

I have been working at Accuquote full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Owner and leadership are passionate about protecting as many families as possible.
    Entreprenuerial culture values employees ideas and offers opportunities to contribute talents.
    Work-life balance is a definte plus.

Cons

If you have an interest or talent in another area, let someone know. Opportunities exist to contribute in other departments or on various projects.

Aug 18, 2014CEO

This is the type of review that makes me proud of the company we've built. It's so rewarding to learn that my passion is rubbing off on the other people here. And knowing that you're a current ... More