Accuray Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.3
Joshua Levine

Pros
  • Great technology; fantastic mission (fighting cancer is a fantastic thing); great people; fun place to work; new CEO, and therefore some new policies (in 3 reviews)

• The product and people who work here are great (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor management from the top down (in 2 reviews)

• On the tomotherapy side of bussiness there are lingering reliability issues (in 2 reviews)

1. Excellent, innovative company to work for!

Former Employee - Senior Executive Assistant in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Executive Assistant in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Accuray full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very open, collaborative environment, with highly engaging, brilliant employees!

Cons

Extremely fluid, demanding environment, with extremely long hours.

2. I am thankful to my company because I have learn a lot of things from here.

Current Employee - Buyer/Planner III in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Buyer/Planner III in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Accuray full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Accuray give you the chance to improve and become better at what you do. Awesome benefit.

Cons

Consolidation of two companies into one.

Advice to Management

I don't have any, they are very fair and encouragement.

Great Company, Great Mission, New Management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Accuray full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has turned a new leaf and is ramping up quickly. Moving from "product out" to "Market In" approach - Aligning more with the needs of the customers. Most of upper management is new and they "get" what it takes to succeed. Tomo acquisition now feels complete and Accuray as "one company" - although some of the Madison/Tomo folks still have some nostalgia

Cons

Although most of upper mgmt is new, there are a few senior leaders from past that need to be shown the door...

Advice to Management

Focus on flawless execution. Balance the commercial activities with Development for long term growth.

5. Working at Accuray matters

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I have been working at Accuray full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This company makes products that matter. CyberKnife and TOmoTHerapy machines are treating cancer patients with the best radiotherapy available. I could work at a company that makes microwave ovens or apps for iPhones but I choose to work at ARAY instead. Not every day of work is glorious, but what makes me get up in the morning and drive to work is knowing that what I do helps people beat cancer.

Cons

Accuray is not yet profitable. Its financially stable for years to come at the current burn rate, but it wont take me to retirement until we can do what we do AND be profitable.

Advice to Management

Bite the bullet and make the decisions that will get in the black

6. Great experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

People are nice, easy to get along with. The work environment in Sunnyvale is calm and great to work in.

Cons

Some people in Human Resources weren't as helpful as they could have been. Missing information, confusion, etc.

Advice to Management

None

7. Accuray is a great company to work for

Current Employee - Information Technology in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Madison, WI

I have been working at Accuray full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great hours, great pay, comprehensive and affordable health care benefits. The leadership we have in place make good decisions for the betterment of the company and it's employees. They've also done a great job at making the company more transparent.

Cons

Certain departments lack the cohesiveness that others do. Not everyone has the same experience as it really depends on what section of the company you're in. Because the company hasn't been profitable there is always a lingering fear that your job could be lost on any given day. This fear has been lessened by the backing of Wallstreet and the change in leadership over the last few years.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing. Transparency, honesty, it all counts to us. Thank you for making Accuray//Tomotherapy a great place to work.

8. Pleasant and rewarding experience

I worked at Accuray full-time

Pros

I was exposed to the executive level and have learned a lot from this experience.

Cons

I was working with no group as I only worked with the CFO in this special project for this particular project.

Accuray - High quality people passionate about the product

Current Employee - Customer Service in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

The compensation and benefits are good for this industry. Bonuses are low, maybe because sometimes stock grants and options are given to better performing employees. The atmosphere is relaxed, yet professional. The quality of people is exceptional and people are friendly. Mid level management is very good. Employees are passionate about our product.

Cons

Corporate communication can sometimes be poor. Verbal communication is at a minimum. People like to communicate via email too often. Accuray performs in a very competitive marketplace. Small company finding it's way in a large market. Perspective customers have a lot of barriers to get past (CON, construction, contract contingencies). Poor stock performance makes employees question upper managements ability to lead the company.

Advice to Management

Overall communication must improve with employees.

Great technology in need of a shepherd to cross the chasm

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

Working for a company that provides a truly disruptive, game-changing technology that makes a real impact on cancer patients' lives (How many jobs can you say that about?). People are intelligent and really passionate about the company, its customers, and patient care.

Cons

Company's grown significantly, is now a publicly traded company with fiduciary responsibilities to shareholders, and yet is still being managed like a startup; there is a serious lack of process and protocol for many key operational areas that you think would be a no brainer for a company of Accuray's age and size. Everyone I think has their heart in the right place, but I'm not sure there's a clear strategic vision nor proper management in place to realize that vision.

Advice to Management

The company has had its up and downs, but its undeniable that the CyberKnife is a fantastic technology and one that truly can benefit cancer patients. Upper management needs to realize that while they were successful in taking the company public and their dream of making radiosurgery a treatment option for cancer patients is a noble one, new management might be needed to take the company to the next level and make that dream a reality.

Current Employer

Current Employee - IT Business Analyst in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - IT Business Analyst in Madison, WI

I have been working at Accuray full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for, the product is awesome!

Cons

Lots of red tape due to agency and SOX regulations.

RSS Feed </> Embed