Accutest Laboratories

Phillip B. Rooney

Life at accutest in nj

Former Employee - Lab Technician in Dayton, NJ
    Former Employee - Lab Technician in Dayton, NJ

I worked at Accutest Laboratories full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Horrible management, long hours (over time)

Cons

Friendly co-workers. Beautiful looking company

Please lsten to your employees

Bitter sweet

I worked at Accutest Laboratories

Pros

Laxed as long as work is completed. Perfect to get lab experience on resume.

Cons

The pay scale is ridiculous and varies greatly from person to person in same dept.

Job responsibilities and workload doesn't reflect in pay.

It is good place to start and build your career.

Current Employee - Supervisor in Dayton, NJ
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Dayton, NJ

I have been working at Accutest Laboratories full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Accutest takes on people right out of college. If you are looking to build experience this place will provide that for you. Upward mobility is very good you can get promoted to a more responsible position within a year of starting. Flexible schedules. You can pick to work weekends, nights and etc. As long as you can work Accutest will find a schedule for you. A lot of opportunity for overtime.

Accutest has branches all over US. People have been known to transfer if they wanted to.

Cons

High turn over rate really hurts every position. You can expect to train new people often. Responsibility is pushed on to the few who can perform. People rarely get fired for under performing. Aging equipment. High work load.

Your business model is understandable but it has it's downsides. Little pay, entry level hires and high work load will always result in high turnover, lower quality and low morale. You should plan accordingly. This business model benefits from structure. Set roles for everyone in department. Plans for rush work.

Excellent Work Environment

I worked at Accutest Laboratories part-time

Pros

Quality Assurance is a high priority in the organization. Also, work environment is relaxed and friendly. It can get hectic during the summer due high volume of work orders.

Cons

Facilities need a lit bit of renovation and expansion to improve the efficiency of the personnel.

Relaxed atmospehere, nobody does too much

I worked at Accutest Laboratories

Pros

The lower level managers were all awesome and the people are all pretty relaxed and don't work too hard. People sort of come in whenever they want so long as they get work done. Nobody is really expected to go above and beyond, just do a bare minimum and you'll be fine.

Cons

Upper level management is annoying as heck and whenever they come in everyone has to pretend to work hard for a day. Kind of stingy with pay and raises. Jersey location is much stricter than MA location

Not what I expected...

I have been working at Accutest Laboratories part-time

Pros

Some of the people are nice to work with

Cons

Too much drama between co-workers, when something goes wrong (guidelines aren't followed, corners are cut), nothing is done by management. People without decent qualifications are being hired to work at an organization that is supposed to be doing very serious work.

What a difference a decade makes...

Current Employee - Shipping Technician in Dayton, NJ
    Current Employee - Shipping Technician in Dayton, NJ

I have been working at Accutest Laboratories full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good learning experience, 'interesting' people. Jersey is a great place for this industry[job security ;) ]. Learning a lot about what we've done to our environment

Cons

The change from private to corporate[public] ownership/management has hurt the personality of the work environment. Profit over people appears to be the new corporate mantra.

Listen.

Low morale

Current Employee - Lab Technician in Dayton, NJ
    Current Employee - Lab Technician in Dayton, NJ

I have been working at Accutest Laboratories

Pros

-free coffee/tea. they also had pizza parties for random reasons like passing EPA audit.
    -good coworkers.
    -beautiful looking facilities. Larger companies tend to do that.
    -better work environmental for inorganics

Cons

-pay low for the amount of work to do. I also experience the same thing working for a competitor so maybe the entire environmental lab industry sucks.
    -if you're good, they tend to give you more work.
    -if you work for organics, you don't get feedback unless it's negative. Unless you stick around long enough to get a performance review (many people don't). I heard organics (and extractions) are under new management since I left but looking at several reviews, I doubt much has changed.
    - I agree with one poster about the company not batting an eye about Earth Day. There's not enough recycling for small-ticket items like little boxes in the labs. Though to be fair they do have bins in the cafeteria.

Listen to your employees.

I was not valued as a college educated employee.

Former Employee - GC Analyst in Dayton, NJ
    Former Employee - GC Analyst in Dayton, NJ

I worked at Accutest Laboratories full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Solid training that was easily transferable. I got to learn GC and data analysis which are important skills for an analytical chemist. I also got to learn about all the different departments and what they do for a large scale lab.

Cons

Terrible salary for a BS chemist, benefits didn't kick in until after working for a long time (6-12 months), little to no opportunities for personal growth and development.

Offer your chemist a wage worthy of their education and skills. Encourage your employees to push themselves by offering opportunities to learn new things and cross training them with different departments.

Low pay, Lower Morale, Lowest Outlook

Former Employee - Analyst in Dayton, NJ
    Former Employee - Analyst in Dayton, NJ

I worked at Accutest Laboratories full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They hardly ever fire anyone if they're competent. Free coffee all the time. Free Bagels on pay day. Peers can be a pleasure to work there. Finish your work and go home, leave work at the door.

Cons

They hardly ever fire anyone if even if they're incompetent. Management doesn't listen to employees. Many employees are generally unhappy and feel under appreciated. They do not communicate clearly or in a timely manner. There's no recognition for your work and if you're not working to their standards, they won't tell you until your review (if you get one when you're supposed to). There is very little room for growth.

Listen to your employees. Invest in your employees as people, do not just treat them as cattle.

Accutest Laboratories Photos