Accuvant Reviews

Dan Burns

The Ultimate Magic Show!

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Accuvant full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Once a great cocktail of misfit talent and collective determination to be better than the competition....there maybe a sliver of that culture still around to make a few motivated.

Cons

PR and hype cannot mask what's really going on here. You drink the kool-aid for the first few months working here, then start to realize it's all just smoke and mirrors. Terrible leadership, some extremely condescending and remarkably inexperienced "leaders" in charge, and people that try too hard to be "innovative". There are of course a handful of people who are fantastic, super smart and well intentioned, but they are probably soon to leave. The majority of the real talent has already jumped over this tilted ship. I have never worked in a place where so many people talked so poorly about their co-workers, vendors, and their customers. There is a complete lack of teamwork and willingness to help each other and work toward a common goal...but there really is not common goal at all, because the company lacks any sense of direction and has no clearly defined goals. Now the customers see how badly they have been treated, though they are not surprised after viewing the toxic culture within.

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on polishing your egos. You have enough talent to build great teams, utilize your people and reward them

Business Partner Relationships > Clients. Consultants are drone foot soldiers, fodder if you will.

Former Employee - Senior Security Consultant in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Security Consultant in Denver, CO

I worked at Accuvant full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Travel on their dime Fast way to get a resume built Chance to build up people networks

Cons

There are plenty....here on the highlights. * Concur is used for expenses and the expense people are lazy. Expenses are often paid weeks after travel. Expense reports are returned for the most trivial reasons. Once I had one returned for $16 in a travel fee. Why didn't the expense people just fix it, send an email, and release the expense? * No per diems. All actuals. No exceptions. Bank on 3 hours of expense report time per engagement. * The most major downside is the managers' bonus is directly tied to the performance of their subordinates. So if you have a manager, sitting in his office and making sure the business relationship is a-ok with the provider of the appliance you are installing, that could care less about the client and they make it obvious. Managers lose bonus money if anyone was on the bench, which happens from time to time. So mine would make us to take PTO if a day of bench time came along. Not cool. * While there is often good relations among the teams, managers and non-managers might as well live on different planets. * Never badmouth IBM, Mcafee, or any other vendor with a "business partner" relationship. That is like smack talking God himself. You'll find yourself unemployed real quick. Business Partner > Client. * Also, you'd THINK there would be a "fast track" for consultants to get ahold of a vendor for support but you'd be wrong. You call the same number and waste lots of hours trying to get support to help you in case of a major problem....and of course, billing the client. * I left a LOT of hours on the floor and never charged the customer for them because of problems above. I could not sleep at night knowing I burned hours on the phone with the vendor trying to get their system up. Of course, Accuvant has no such problems. Check your ethics at the door on this one. * Never exceed the SOW. If you do the client a favor and code something or plug in a CAT5 cable that is not in the SOW, be prepared for 10+ salesmen to email you telling you should have submitted a change order. The customer is a turnip, and the blood squeezed feeds their bonuses. * Some engagements are "remote, which is fine if they can be performed remotely. Piece of advice...webex is for MEETINGS, not carrying out engagements. * The Fishnet merger went bad for the Fishnet side of the house. Most Fishnet salespeople lost their accounts and regardless what was said, people were fired via attrition. In order to keep the holy “business partner” relationships, people with the correct certifications were kept and those without were shown the door. But there was no “layoffs”.

Advice to Management

Time to clean house. The worst people who are more interested in Accuvant's business partner relationships end up in management. The client is #3 or #4 on the priority list even though that is where the REVENUE comes from. Sales people sell and do not have to deliver what they sell, nor do they held accountable if an engagement goes wrong when the consultant ends up on site with no equipment or needs to perform work NOT in the SOW. Far too many engagements get delayed by months, if not longer, because the sales people have zero idea what they are selling and it's not in their job description to know so. So when the consultant does arrive on site they often might encounter an angry client. Again...webex is for meetings, not engagements.

Worst customer treatment and most politics I have ever experienced.

I worked at Accuvant full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working for these guys can be easy because they are so busy admiring themselves you can do almost anything as long as your clients are not too upset.

Cons

Lots of embarrassing situations with customers where you are trying to salvage something for them while Accuvant is trying to pull fast ones. The politics here are beyond anything. Management promotes really bad back stabbing. On my first assignment I asked someone "What is going on here?". The answer was that my manager wanted me to fail so he could look good by saving me -- standard procedure -- don't worry -- just act grateful when he saves you. After a while they let you alone until you become part of another political war between managers. Accuvant is truly amazing.

Advice to Management

Hire your replacements.

Worst for staff and customers

I worked at Accuvant full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If lots of travel and having fun jacking customers over is for you, this is it.

Cons

Customers get screwed. They really do not care. Forget career growth or training. It is all BS promises.

Advice to Management

Care just a little about customers and what they are getting. Stop forcing your HR people to write "glowing reviews" here. Face the truth.

Extremely Poor

Former Employee - Pre Sales in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Pre Sales in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Accuvant full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I cant think of any pros of working here. Most of my time was on the road or on an airplane going to speak to customers about where to eat lunch.

Cons

No direction Poor leadership Increasingly harsh culture Poor quality of life Below average compensation No Career growth Poorly staffed services organization Management

Advice to Management

The entire time I worked at Accuvant I was never once recognized for any of my contributions to the team. My advice would be to put measures in place so this doesn't happen and hard working individuals would be more inclined to stay.

Poor management practices. Treat consultants like expendable widgets.

Former Contractor - Cyber Security Consultant
    Former Contractor - Cyber Security Consultant

I worked at Accuvant as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

None. Seriously. I have nothing good to say about this glorified body shop.

Cons

Consistently trade on their name to get business without ANY idea or ability to deliver. Sign contracts they cannot execute, then go scrambling for resources, which means the field folks get the short end of the stick right along with the customers. If you like having three layers of reporting hierarchy on the same client engagement, come work here. Otherwise, stay away. Don't pay on time. Don't pay enough. PM's are a joke, can't handle any task at all.

Advice to Management

Stop thinking "expansion" and start thinking "customer service". Do you really think that bottom-feeding for cheapest talent available to satisfy the latest client engagement cobbled together with false promises and marketing b.s. is a viable long-term business strategy? These are the "people" who go on site with customers to represent you. These things have a way of building over time. Give it a bit more, and soon the Accuvant name will join the parade of other discredited failures in this business.

A very disjointed employer with constant turnover and a very unstable financial future.

I worked at Accuvant full-time

Pros

The only good thing I can say about this company is the good people I've met that work hard and truly care about their fellow co-workers.

Cons

Senior Management could care less about the happiness/security of their employees, all they focus on is numbers, numbers, numbers. They need to recruit someone to help re-direct this company in a direction where the company is turning a profit and able to keep their talent. Trimming the fat shouldn't be a business practice in the future.

Advice to Management

Utilize outside consultants to consult the financial future. Apparently the company really needs this added help for the company to become profitable and stable.

Poor leadership, increasingly harsh culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

Conceptually, it's a great business model combining depth and breadth of expertise in various security products along with it's own research function that seeks to harmlessly exploit vulnerabilities in partner products and/or clients' infrastructure with the goal of improving security. For the most part, the people are very nice

Cons

I agree with the other reviews that mention unrealistic goals. It is a very metrics driven organization (although their systems are horrible) and there's a lot of pressure to meet numbers - regardless of the situation. Management will do whatever is necessary to meet those numbers at the exclusion of everything else (specifically, considerations of you as a human being). For this reason, there is a lot of turnover - both voluntary and involuntary. In my experience, the hiring process was fairly brief. As a prospective employee, do your due diligence and make sure you can thrive in that environment. Management will not hesitate to terminate you without notice if you do not meet your numbers/expectations and you had also better make sure you buy into the culture and your manager's style from the beginning. As another reviewer said, there are strong elements of a good ol' boys club. I also share the same experience with another reviewer where specific qualifications were not addressed in the job description. This particular skill became a major part of my job. I asked for help but was left on my own to figure it out. If you find yourself in that situation don't expect much support in the way of training or additional resources. Everyone is extremely busy and the chances of them helping you on your project are hit and miss at best. Lastly, there is a great deal of talk in the hiring process about collaboration, teamwork, "more heads" make better decisions, etc. That was not my experience nor was it was I observed throughout the company. The culture there is that those at the top know best. When given an assignment make sure you are in lock step with your manager up front. Projects are initiated at the top and delegated down. You can expect a very iterative process as what's thought to be needed at initiation changes by the time you deliver the project. It is terribly frustrating to put in nights and weekends to meet the deliverable only to have it miss the mark because someone arbitrarily changed their mind and you didn't know.

Advice to Management

When I first started I believed the goal was to build a sustainably great company that was built on integrity and balanced the needs of customers, employees, stakeholders and community. What I've experienced is a culture that increasingly valued the needs of stakeholders at the expense of everything else. My advice is to get back in balance by: 1) suspending your belief that your rhetoric is reality and, (2) making a sustainable effort to truly listen to all your constituents.

Could have been a good job but got back stabbed by manager!

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

Pros

Excellent Compensation......the top earners make a very good six figure income. The product set is a great mix of IT security products and solutions and is marketed as such. They have a very good benefit package.

Cons

Lots of turnover. Extremely POOR management and unrealistic expectations and time frame to build business. I was personally backstabbed by a sales manager who was losing his personal prospects and laid me off to get to mine. Went to Senior management who basically turned their heads and did nothing. That to me shows the ethics of who this company is. Here's the kicker....they make you sign a non-exclusive and will act on it!! So you're screwed if you try and work in the same field.

Advice to Management

It's a shame you run the company as a good ole boys club because there were a lot of good people who worked for you that our extremely successful elswhere.....maybe a blessing in disguise.

RSS Feed </> Embed